Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meeting with local Sergeant/Inspector and Superintendent

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭hayzer

Geansai wrote: »
    Next is the long wait for the medical.... (During this time they are completeing your background check)

May be different lenght for everyone but took me about 10 months.

After the medical it moves pretty fast again.

Oh! I applied 16 months ago and handed my BR form in 12 months ago...I hope a good bulk of the checks have been done by now...another 10 months. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Fran1985

Met with Sergeant on Monday. Nice bloke, spent the whole time chatting about what i do for a living and how i got to be where i am in that career choice. It was an enjoyable meeting and he seems like a cool bloke.

Anyway. Its been 12 months since i applied. Back then i was unemployed and had loads of time on my hands. Now i work full time and run a business part time aswell as working freelance for another company, so not even sure if i'll have time to do it :( Its a shame because its something i'd love to do, but because of red tape i've had to wait a year and i've no time to give after having loads of time when i applied :(

frustrating but i guess i'll just have to try and make time.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭ghost86

Hi, can someone give me some information on this.
    I handed in my BR form to my local station two months ago. I have not heard anything back yet. From what I hear most people get their interview with the super within one month of handing in the br form.
    Is this the case? And is it possible for me to organise a meeting?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭hayzer

ghost86 wrote: »
    Hi, can someone give me some information on this.
    I handed in my BR form to my local station two months ago. I have not heard anything back yet. From what I hear most people get their interview with the super within one month of handing in the br form.
    Is this the case? And is it possible for me to organise a meeting?

hey I didn't get mine till 12 months after handing the BR form in. I don't think there is a set in stone time line for things to happen in this process.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭brotherrabbit

Yea it seems to be different in every station and every region

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭halfback5

Just got the call there to meet the super tommorrow, better brush up on my sweet talk:D

Hopefully this means that it wont be long till my medical

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 karen2224

i have completed the interview with the superintendent about 2 months ago. they want to interview me again. has this happened to anyone else??. it has made me really nervous frown.gif.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭WilcoOut

it could be a number of things

1) you could be meeting someone else. an inspector, a sgt, even a chief

2) your application could have been 'mislaid' or 'put on the wrong desk' and theyre chasing it up (its happened to plenty of people)

3) your dazzling personality left them wanting more

4) your walking into an ambush

more likely the first 2 i'd imagine

but always expect the unexpected

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 karen2224

thanks very much. i hope that they have lost it because i can't think of many more reasons. i have met with the sgt and the superintendent. it's because i'm meeting another super im a bit edgy.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭ghost86

I had a meeting with a detective in my district HQ a few days ago. I already had an interview with my local sergeant some weeks before so I thought this time around that I would be meeting the super or someone like that.
    Did anyone else meet a detective instead of a super for their second interview/chat?
    If not, does this mean that I have to go in again to meet the super in the future in order for my application to get cleared?
    Also, he took a lot of notes about my relations but my sergeant did this already in the first interview. Is this normal as I was under the impression that the second interview is brief with little or no notes taken?:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

Sergeant interview went really well last week, so I've been called to meet the inspector tomorrow after work.

From what I've read on here, this is going to be a tougher interview, does anyone have any (non-specific) tips for me? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭TylerIE

funkyflea wrote: »
    Sergeant interview went really well last week, so I've been called to meet the inspector tomorrow after work.

From what I've read on here, this is going to be a tougher interview, does anyone have any (non-specific) tips for me? :)

Honestly any of my pre-GR friends who did it found it fine.

A bit of common sense really. Think over a few answers before you go in - the stuff you should be doing for all interviews (except substituting AGS for ESB/Dunnes/Bank of Ireland etc).

Why do you want to join AGS as a GR? Do you work currently?
    What do you do?
    you want to join AGS in the future when recruiting takes place? Why?
    Have you spoken to any guards? Do you know any current employees?
    Have you spoken to them?
    What particular experience have you in dealing with certain situations (think about the scenarios you used for your Public Appointments Office Interviews).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭Tyron Jara

funkyflea wrote: »

Hey I found the sergeants interview to be the tough one. I met the superintendant after this and it took less than 5 minutes. He asked me a few questions made jokes and basically made his mind up about me in a short time. It may vary from station to station but this interview is more informal than the rest I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Altezza98

@ funkyflea, the best advice I could give you is be honest, DONT try to cover up anything or mislead them ;) after that be yourself and all will be fine :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

Thanks to all for the advice once again, meeting went great very brief, medical next I presume!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 cluskkc

Hi All,

I've been meaning to update you all with my own progress but never had a chance.
    I applied back in October 2010 and had my interview/report writing exercise in Feb. I then received a letter 2 weeks later to say that I had passed both. It was like any other interview with a few references to different situations. (Obviously cant go into detail) And the practice sheet that is supplied from Public Jobs is very usefull.
    I then received an email on the 10th of May asking that I complete the BR form and drop it into my local station. Which I done that day (Already had it completed due to my impatience).
    In July I met with my local seargent who went through the BR form and asked me a few further questions. He was sound and put me at ease with anything that came up.
    I then received a call this morning to meet the Inspector this Saturday and I dont know what to expect, but the job I currently work in has well prepared me for dealing with people so I probably wont be nervous until Sat morning.
    Next up wll be the medical and I am unsure of what to expect. I'll have to get back playing ball/hitting the gym as I've been a lazy fecker for the past few weeks.
    I'll let everyone know how I get on on Saturday, and for anyone else who is in the process behind me, best of luck. For those of you who are already reserves can you let me know how the experience is going for you so far?

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭A.G.S

Hey guys,

I was in touch with my local super by phone on the 19/10/11 he told me he would ring me in a week to ten days but hasent, he is based in the regional HQ so hes busy man, just wondering should I phone him back? or would this look bad ? really want to get the ball rolling again on my application and get my medical :)

Just another question guys, I have met with my local Sgt and submitted my BR form. Do I have to meet with my local inspector or super in order to get a medical or will my meeting with the Sgt do?

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Rob6052

A.G.S wrote: »
    Just another question guys, I have met with my local Sgt and submitted my BR form. Do I have to meet with my local inspector or super in order to get a medical or will my meeting with the Sgt do?

As far as I know you have to meet inspector or super indent before the medical , well that was how it was for me anyway

Rob6052 wrote: »
    As far as I know you have to meet inspector or super indent before the medical , well that was how it was for me anyway

Thanks man, seems like my super and inspector dont wanna know me I no there busy men but they told me that they will interview me loads of times but still no word.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

Thanks man, seems like my super and inspector dont wanna know me I no there busy men but they told me that they will interview me loads of times but still no word.

Same feeling here, I have called the station every 6-7 days looking for the sergeant just to have the chat. Waiting about three weeks now :) . The fun and games will begin with the super and inspector !

msg11 wrote: »
    Same feeling here, I have called the station every 6-7 days looking for the sergeant just to have the chat. Waiting about three weeks now :) . The fun and games will begin with the super and inspector !

Met the inspector tonight man was really nice. so nervous to see if I get a call for medical or the dreaded letter.

Met the inspector tonight man was really nice. so nervous to see if I get a call for medical or the dreaded letter.

Rather either than this waiting around business!

Be prepared to wait is all I can say, Im waiting 9 months and counting for a medical.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

ah you'll develop some award-winning patience ;)

Be prepared to wait is all I can say, Im waiting 9 months and counting for a medical.

About the same, if you mean from initial application ..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Sierra86

Haven't looked at this thread in ages guys. apptitude test and interview done at the start of this year. i presume the back ground checks took a while and haven't thought about my application in ages until i got a phonecall today from the supers office. Another meeting tomorrow. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Sierra86

actually my exam was the 7th of oct last year!!!:eek:

Had the meeting with the sergeant last night, when well. Really nice guy had a good owl chat with him about the reserves and some questions I had. Was a bit nervous going in have to say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Had the meeting with the sergeant last night, when well. Really nice guy had a good owl chat with him about the reserves and some questions I had. Was a bit nervous going in have to say.

ah jeez msg11 I'm happy for you. It was a long time coming. Well done now, that's you another step closer :)

Advertisement