Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meeting with local Sergeant/Inspector and Superintendent

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,748 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

ashling123 wrote: »
    I had my second interview the other day with a Garda and a superintendent. They were asking about me financially. I was just wondering if any1 here knows what that has to do with the reserves. They asked how i pay for college and clothes and stuff. And at the end the superintendent said he thinks 18 years of age is too young to join the Garda reserves, could they use that against me and was the interview just basically a chat or was it an interview where i will either pass it or fail it? :(
    Wow.

Legally, they can't discriminate based on your age. If you are within the age range to join then you should be treated like everyone else IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭brotherrabbit

Well lads. can anyone tell me whats the interview with the super about, i sent of my BR form 1 month ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Well lads. can anyone tell me whats the interview with the super about, i sent of my BR form 1 month ago.

Mod Note: I have moved your post in here, please familiarise yourself with our forum before posting again.

Thanks,
    kerry4sam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Destiny

I have my interview tomorrow with the Super. Delighted! Hopefully I'll be in time for the Feb intake. Already had my interview with the Sergeant, so here's hoping that this one will go just as well. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Destiny

I've been thralling through the previous posts trying to find some info on the interview with the Super. Anybody have any tips? What was it like? Is it a lot different from the interview with Sergeant? Thanks.:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭eru123

Destiny wrote: »
    I've been thralling through the previous posts trying to find some info on the interview with the Super. Anybody have any tips? What was it like? Is it a lot different from the interview with Sergeant? Thanks.:)

I only had one interview with the inspector. I presumme it is much the same. They just both want to put a face on you and they want to get an impression of you. As long as you dont come across extremely bad im sure you will be recommened. Or maybe the super wants to question you on your past, if you have come to Garda attention before or something. Just my opinion.
    Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 ashling123

Hey people.
    I've to meet with my local inspector tomorrow...would that be for a chat or Is it a formal interview? and what will he wanna know?

I have my interview with the super on friday...

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭A.G.S

Hi guys I met with the local Sargent today when I handed in my b.r form he didn't ask me that many questions he only asked about my sports and did I speak Irish after that he showed me the training facilities at the station and told me he would forward on the b.r form so we shook hands and I left,in and out in about 15 minutes.will their be more interviews for me in the process like meeting the super or am I done? also their is no candidate number on the receipt for the b.r form is that a mistake or do HQ fill that in?

Yes the meeting with the super is very fast. This was my experience and any of my friends that went for it found it fast too.. Its really only putting a face to a name... Roll on the medical :D

• Advertisement

Yes the meeting with the super is very fast. This was my experience and any of my friends that went for it found it fast too.. Its really only putting a face to a name... Roll on the medical :D

oh thats great so :) yeah roll on the medical soo hopefully wont be that long

ha ha yea we will have to live in hope.. the speed of the process seems to differ for everyone..sadly....

ha ha yea we will have to live in hope.. the speed of the process seems to differ for everyone..sadly....

yeah and i forgot to put my candidate number on my b.r form receipt do you think that mite delay my process ?

in my humble opinion...and i say humble because im stuck in the waiting for the medical... they seem to be sticky on the details.. if it was me id ring public appointments and update the form or go to a station and talk to a super..even a phone call. its not a huge error just a bureaucratic one. i would lose sleep over it :D

in my humble opinion...and i say humble because im stuck in the waiting for the medical... they seem to be sticky on the details.. if it was me id ring public appointments and update the form or go to a station and talk to a super..even a phone call. its not a huge error just a bureaucratic one. i would lose sleep over it :D

yeah im gonna get onto HQ in the morning and ask them can i give the candidate number over the phone to them if not il just go two my local station and hope they didn't send off the form yet

good plan! its frustratingly slow! but so worth it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 clare33

hi all when i dropped in my b.r form to my local station back in may. i met a lovely guard he had a informal chat , he went through my b.r form and i had forgot my canditates no. he let me run back to work to get it and come back to him straight away and he faxed it there and than when i was there.

yea sound :) i get the importance of the checks but why dose it have to take so long,, ripping to get going...also when i met the super he said what station id be at..any one else have this experience?

I was onto HQ this morning the guy on the phone was really nice and his training Sargent was the one I had my meeting with.He said not to worry that I didn't have my candidate number on the b.r form and that its only related to p.a.s really.he then went onto explain that the checks vary from person to person and just to be patient and aim to getting in around the end of the year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 karen2224

I am meeting the super on Monday. Has anyone any idea what he is going to ask me. It would help a lot.:confused:

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

karen2224 wrote: »
    I am meeting the super on Monday. Has anyone any idea what he is going to ask me. It would help a lot.:confused:

Thanks

hi there,

Welcome to our Garda Reserve forum. You know, this meeting really isn't something to be worried about.

It is just more a case of putting a face to the name. They will ask about your work / education / pastimes / voluntary activities / general conversation to be honest.
    The dress-code would be smart-casual and I would say the meeting would be over in 15-20mins approx.

Do let us know how you get on :)
    kerry4sam

thanks kerry4sam.

I met the sergeant last week and that was pretty informal. I heard though that the super asks you scenarios. I am meeting him on my lunch break and i work with young children. I'll do a quick clothes change before i leave. :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,748 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Please read this thread regarding asking for details of scenarios. It's also in the forum charter:

# You may not describe or request, in any way, details of any role plays, video clips, examinations, questionnaires, spoken word or physical task that may be used in the recruitment process of any employer. Helping someone prepare for an interview is fine, but telling someone what the questions are before the exam is cheating.

am ok then sorry

We can answer general questions, but not specifics. It wouldn't be fair to the people who have been successful on their own merits and ability to give you a step-by-step account of things he will ask, and then equip you with responses he wants to hear. That's called cheating.

The best advice we can offer is to be yourself. Even if you did have the questions beforehand, they'd know you'd have been prepped because the answers wouldn't sound organic and would sound forced, and not in keeping with your personality.

Be yourself. That's what they really want.

That and honesty, integrity and honour.

Hi Ive met with the Sergeant at my local station and then submitted my B.R form.I rang HQ about a week later to see if my form made it two them,but was told on the phone that they don't have the B.R form yet as it gets checked at local level before being sent to them.They also said i'll have to meet with the super as well before progressing with the background checks,but its been 3 weeks since my meeting with the Sergeant and I still haven't been contacted by the super for interview with him.Do I need to phone to make an appointment to see the super or wait to be contacted by the super himself? any info would be great as I want to speed up this process if I can as it takes long enough :)

• Registered Users Posts: 30 1rishguy

A.G.S wrote: »
    Hi Ive met with the Sergeant at my local station and then submitted my B.R form.I rang HQ about a week later to see if my form made it two them,but was told on the phone that they don't have the B.R form yet as it gets checked at local level before being sent to them.They also said i'll have to meet with the super as well before progressing with the background checks,but its been 3 weeks since my meeting with the Sergeant and I still haven't been contacted by the super for interview with him.Do I need to phone to make an appointment to see the super or wait to be contacted by the super himself? any info would be great as I want to speed up this process if I can as it takes long enough :)

Give District Office a ring in your County Station. They will help you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭hayzer

Have my Inspectors meeting next week!! Hope it goes well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭hayzer

I had my interview with a Sargent and Inspector tonight. Think it went well...not much given away...was around 15 minutes long...informal chat.

Can anyone tell me whats next after this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Geansai

hayzer wrote: »
    I had my interview with a Sargent and Inspector tonight. Think it went well...not much given away...was around 15 minutes long...informal chat.

Can anyone tell me whats next after this?

Next is the long wait for the medical.... (During this time they are completeing your background check)

May be different lenght for everyone but took me about 10 months.

After the medical it moves pretty fast again.

Advertisement