Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transgender 7 year old??

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭yawha

Since our last engagement, it's obvious that you've done little reading to educate yourself. The male and female are of course made up of the same mushy material, but are structured in two different ways. Areas of the brain that would give rise to one identifying as a female would be the same for me, as it would for any female.

It can also be shown that ones area of the brain that controls sexual attration is the same size in gay males as it is in straight females. So it's alittle flippant to dismiss transsexuality as a disorder or mental illness previously tossed around this evening.
    Wat?

I never said anything about mental illness or disorder.

I understand that there is some evidence to suggest differences in brain structures between males and females.

Are you saying that these correlate with gender stereotypes? That is the only thing I completely reject.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭Millicent

yawha wrote: »
    But how do you decide that a child has identified as transgender or not?

Based on this article, I see nothing but "the child does not conform to gender stereotypes, therefore child is transgender" logic. I see this in pretty much all articles on transgenderism (hell, I see it a lot from transgender people on transgender forums online). It baffles me.

Em, the child has told people she's a girl. That's a pretty strong self identification.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Is it possible to support the hypothesis of transgenderism in infants without tacitly perpetuating the notion of natural gender roles in children such as what toys to play with or what clothes to wear?

yes, it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

Wat?

I understand that there is some evidence to suggest differences in brain structures between males and females.

Are you saying that these correlate with gender stereotypes? That is the only thing I completely reject.

Not some evidence, overwhelming evidence, the brains of male and female are different. The hormonal flows are also different, the genes are different.

Some people are unfortunate to be born with the xx chromosome but have the body parts of male. The opposite can happen to a genetic xy male but with female parts.

This is not always the case with transgendered people it can be the brain is female/male while the body is not.

But it is a medical condition and unfortunate for the people that suffer it. But modern medicine/surgery can make their lives more comfortable, its a pity society doesn't always.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

jive wrote: »
    Why are you changing your body then? No need to be such a condescending prat, btw. As you should know, many believe that it is a mental illness and are well entitled to that opinion given what is known about it.

See previous post. You've yet to answer my question and I don't see a reason to threat you like a reasonable adult until you do.
    Wat?

It isn't a correlation, but Neuroscience has done a lot to reinforce the idea. I'll take a scientists word for it over an opinion any day.

• Advertisement

also... *sigh* at yet another AH thread where we have to wade through the exhausting rigmarole of establishing that transsexuality is indeed a very real thing.

guys, pretty much anyone who is transgender will tell you that they have known since they were quite young. it's a blessing that there are parents who are strong enough, and understanding enough, to listen to their children on this matter. because it's not something that ever goes away.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

See previous post. You've yet to answer my question and I don't see a reason to threat you like a reasonable adult until you do.

You never asked me a question

• Registered Users Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭Buceph

Do you have a point to go with that?

I believe the point he's trying to get across is, "hurf blurf PC gone mad!!!"

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

...Put down the bible son and find me a reputable source and I may change my ways.
    You never asked me a question

Doesn't always need a question mark at the end. :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

of course it's real
    but i suppose the argument is equivalent to the "do they really have adhd or are they just being bold?"
    it's impossible for any of us to know from an article anyway

• Advertisement

the current understanding is that brain structures have huge implications in terms of body image or body mapping. see some of the work of neurologist VS Ramachandran (the man who proved that there was a physical reason for phantom limb sensations) on the subject.

they don't necessarily correlate with gender stereotypes at all, but that a transgender child who most likely doesn't have the words to express what they're feeling, and may identify with the stereotypes of their gender as a way of expressing themselves. you're kinda putting the cart before the horse here. it's not "I like girls/boys things, therefor I am a girl/boy", but rather "I am a girl/boy, therefor I like girls/boys thing". expressing their interest in certain things that are deemed feminine or masculine may be the only way they can express how they feel.

bluewolf wrote: »
    of course it's real
    but i suppose the argument is equivalent to the "do they really have adhd or are they just being bold?"
    it's impossible for any of us to know from an article anyway

http://newideas.net/adhd/neurology

An MRI should prove the latter false.

reason won't get in the way of someone who thinks "sure the whole ADHD thing is a load of rubbish, they just need a good smack!" though!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

Doesn't always need a question mark at the end. :rolleyes:

I thought it was sarcasm. Next time you ask someone a question don't start it off with a condescending mark about religion, particularly if they are not religious. The American Psychiatric Association, for one. Why even ask the question? Surely you know of various, reliable, sources that classify it as a mental illness.

Links234 wrote: »
    reason won't get in the way of someone who thinks "sure the whole ADHD thing is a load of rubbish, they just need a good smack!" though!

They should work with kids who have ADHD and see what good a smack would do. Transgenderism is much the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

<snip>
    I think I agree with all that.

Like I said before I'm not arguing that the kid is or isn't/could be or couldn't be transgender, I don't know. I'm simply sceptical as to whether or not a child so young could make that distinction, if not then why does he seem to think so?

If they could then I've no criticisms.

I simply don't know the answer but it seems unlikely to me hence my scepticism as to what's really going on.

If someone can show me that it can then I'd be happy to learn something new.

They should work with kids who have ADHD and see what good a smack would do. Transgenderism is much the same.

Yeah make them play with the proper toys for starters.

I think you need a good smack :p

I thought it was sarcasm. Next time you ask someone a question don't start it off with a condescending mark about religion, particularly if they are not religious. The American Psychiatric Association, for one. Why even ask the question? Surely you know of various, reliable, sources that classify it as a mental illness.

Qustion and Sacrasm, yeah it was alittle bit of both. The APA consider it a disorder, not an illness.
    44leto wrote: »
    Yeah make them play with the proper toys for starters.

If that were the case, surely we'd all be cured by now.

I can't quite understand such poor logic and reasoning skill shown here this evening. Truly astonishing.

Qustion and Sacrasm, yeah it was alittle bit of both. The APA consider it a disorder, not an illness.

If that were the case, surely we'd all be cured by now.

I can't quite understand such poor logic and reasoning skill shown here this evening. Truly astonishing.

Read my earlier posts I more then understand the condition, I was responding to your sarcasm with sarcasm.

• Advertisement

I think you need a good smack :p

I've worked with such children and they would have a notable abnormality in attention and impulse control. I can imagine that people cannot fathom certain concepts when not faced with phsyical attributes to highlight a condition.

On that note, if I deserve a good smack I'm sure there's a few boardsie more than willing to give me one.

44leto wrote: »
    Read my earlier posts I more then understand the condition, I was responding to your sarcasm with sarcasm.

I know. Just keeping it going.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Don't you have to be diagnosed with Gender Identity Disorder to be transgendered? Surely you can't label a child who wants to play and do things that aren't stereotyped to them as transgendered, that's a whole other thing.

WindSock wrote: »
    Don't you have to be diagnosed with Gender Identity Disorder to be transgendered? Surely you can't label a child who wants to play and do things that aren't stereotyped to them as transgendered, that's a whole other thing.

No. Not at all. That's like saying someone has to be diagnosed a homosexual in order to be gay.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

right. in both cases a professional opinion should be looked at.
    windsock wrote:
    i agree

besides, the term "gender identity disorder" is pretty much going to be a thing of the past pretty soon.

besides, the term "gender identity disorder" is pretty much going to be a thing of the past pretty soon.

About time!

No. Not at all. That's like saying someone has to be diagnosed a homosexual in order to be gay.

So transgendered is simply* just identifying with another gender?

*obviously it's more complex than simple, but I would have thought there would have been a bit more to transgenderism than wanting to wear clothes, play with toys etc associated with the other gender.

WindSock wrote: »
    So transgendered is simply* just identifying with another gender?

*obviously it's more complex than simple, but I would have thought there would have been a bit more to transgenderism than wanting to wear clothes, play with toys etc associated with the other gender.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transgender

It's not just complex, but it's more like an entire spectrum of self identification.

• Advertisement

Being gay is not a disorder, but surely being born in the wrong body is?

Advertisement