Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transgender 7 year old??

Options
  • 22-12-2011 4:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭

Felisha Archuleta, whose child was rejected by a Denver Girl Scout troop because he has "boy parts," said she is still waiting for an official call -- and an apology -- from the Colorado Girl Scouts.

Archuleta asked a local troop leader if her transgender son could join the Girl Scouts but was initially rejected. Later, a supervisor from the Colorado Girl Scouts acknowledged the organization would include the 7-year-old. But Archuleta is still awaiting the final word.

"They haven't called me directly," said Archuleta. "When I talked to the top [person], I said Bobby wants to be in the Girl Scouts, but have a different leader. She never called me back and only said they would give [the local leader who rejected him] sensitivity classes."

Bobby Montoya was born with male genitalia but has been convinced since the age of 2 that he is a girl. His biggest worry, said his mother, is that he will have to change his name.

"I believe he was born in the wrong body," said Archuleta, who admitted that even she has difficulty switching from male to female pronouns when talking about her son.

"I thought Bobby would grow out of it," she said. "For birthdays, he asked for ponies. He had a princess birthday, and last year when he turned 7, he had a Rapunzel birthday. I have just basically supported him."

Three weeks ago, Archuleta approached a local Girl Scout leader who only identified herself as "Mary" and asked if Bobby could join the troop. Bobby's mother said the troop leader "humiliated" Bobby, and he dissolved into tears.

The Girl Scouts of Colorado has said publicly it supports transgender children, and it released a statement this week saying the group is "an inclusive organization."

The statement, released by the Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation, reads: 'If a child identifies as a girl and the child's family presents her as a girl, Girl Scouts of Colorado welcomes her as a Girl Scout."

The Girl Scouts of Colorado also said in its statement that it is "reaching out to the family of the excluded child and will be altering its training programs so that all girls are supported."

Archuleta said she still doesn't know what the Girl Scouts intends to do about Bobby and the leader. She also questions why "it's such a big deal.

"He dresses like a girl, and you can't tell he is a girl?" said his mother. "But the Girl Scout leader told us he can't join because he has 'boy parts.'... But no one would know he's a boy unless they pulled his pants down."

Archuleta said the troop leader also asked her, "What do you call it, a boy or a girl?" referring to Bobby. "I told her, 'Excuse me?' Then she fixed it and said, 'Bobby. You can see that's a boy's name, and everyone will know he's a boy.'"

After hearing that exchange, Bobby was "in tears," Archuleta said. "He kept asking, 'Do I have to change my name?' They were only making s'mores! She humiliated him in front of everyone. Actually, I had to stop her in her words. He was standing right there. I told Bobby to go wait in the hallway."

Bobby has told his mother he believed he was a girl ever since he was very young, said Archuleta. "He just liked girl stuff. When he was 4 or 5, he asked me, 'Why didn't you make me a girl?'"

Until now, Bobby has dressed as a boy in school, but he wore a dress to school one day and was teased, said Archuleta. Since the confrontation with the Girl Scouts, Bobby has identified and dressed as a girl in public.

- Source

Is it even possible for a 7 year old to be that aware? Even still, should a 7 year old be making such a decision? Are they really mature enough?

And the big question for me is how in the fuck does a 2 year old know it's the wrong gender?!

Everything about this story is just bizarre, I can't make head nor tail of it.

EDIT - They accepted Bobby, at the cost of some scout leaders.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

America:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

That's just weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Seachmall wrote: »
    Is it even possible for a 7 year old to be that aware? Even still, should a 7 year old be making such a decision? Are they really mature enough?
    Probably not, he can't know for sure until he goes through puberty. He obviously enjoys female programming but I don't think anything could be said about his sexuality just yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

Normally a confused child is confused about which powerpuff girl/power ranger is their favourite, and not their gender.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,227 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Obviously if he likes ponies and dolls he's transgender.

It's almost enough to make me use rolleyes.

Almost.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

*gets popcorn*

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

Bobby in home and away was hot and she had girl parts. Take that girl scouts!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

Sounds to me like the kid wanted to score some girl scouts but was just awful at excuses.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

wasnt their a simular case in england a few years back, the male born child dressed as a girl and changed his name to a females name and even had the sex on his birth cert changed to female. think he was around 11. must go see if i can find it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

sounds like a really bad parenting job

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

I love how they are sending the girl scout leader who rejected him for sensitivity training but no-one has suggested to the poor boys mother that she should go get some training of her own. If he is gender confused, making a big hoo-ha about him/her not getting into the scouts is the tip of the iceburg when it comes to how clueless she is.

The parents should be investigated to be honest. They're conditioning him to believe he's trans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

Surely it is quite possible this child is transgender.

I can't say I know a lot about gender disorders, but I don't see why the child shouldn't just be him or herself until s/he reaches their majority (18 or 21) and then decide their own future.

If the kid really really wants to wear dresses and play with a mini-oven, so be it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

smash wrote: »
    The parents should be investigated to be honest. They're conditioning him to believe he's trans.
    That could be the problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Superbus

He's a Bobby girl, in a Bobby world.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭curlzy

:rolleyes::mad: Yes any age person can know when they're in the wrong body. And yes it's "weird", as in it's uncommon. Jesus the ingnorance around this subject really is shocking, I suggest you educate yourself before commenting/condemning people. I assume I'm wasting my breathe but if you want to educate yourself I would suggest you look into books and documentaries on transgender people and Disturbance in Sexual Developement Disorders (DSDD). That is unless you want to rabble rabble about a child that is already up against all kinds of ignorance, which is probably the whole point of this thread:(.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,995 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

later10 wrote: »

I can't say I know a lot about gender disorders, but I don't see why the child shouldn't just be him or herself until s/he reaches their majority (18 or 21) and then decide their own future.

If the kid really really wants to wear dresses and play with a mini-oven, so be it.

They should let him/her meet that other kid whose parents refused to own up to their child's gender because they didn't want him/her conditioned. They can then both be confused together.

curlzy wrote: »
    :rolleyes::mad: Yes any age person can know when they're in the wrong body. And yes it's "weird", as in it's uncommon. Jesus the ingnorance around this subject really is shocking, I suggest you educate yourself before commenting/condemning people. I assume I'm wasting my breathe but if you want to educate yourself I would suggest you look into books and documentaries on transgender people and Disturbance in Sexual Developement Disorders (DSDD). That is unless you want to rabble rabble about a child that is already up against all kinds of ignorance, which is probably the whole point of this thread:(.

To be fair, the ignorance on the matter is not that shocking. Its a very uncommon situation.

Also, I am yet to see a post here condemning the child in question. I, personally was condemning the mother for letting the media find out about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,027 ✭✭✭Ficheall

:rolleyes::mad: Yes any age person can know when they're in the wrong body.
    How does someone know when they're in the wrong body, exactly? How does one know when one is in the right body? How does one define someone's body as being right or wrong?
    I've always felt I should be taller and more muscular with a nine inch penis.

syklops wrote: »
    Ah, the Sun. A bastion of truth and honour.

http://en.wikinews.org/wiki/12-year-old_school_boy_has_sex_change_in_Sussex,_England

I dont read the sun or any tabloid. I only watch sky news!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

Yes any age person can know when they're in the wrong body.

A 2 year old cannot possibly know that, they're barely self aware.

People are condemning the parents, not the child.

Ficheall wrote: »
    How does someone know when they're in the wrong body, exactly? How does one know when one is in the right body? How does one define someone's body as being right or wrong?
    I've always felt I should be taller and more muscular with a nine inch penis.

I'm not here to educate you, if you want to be less ignorant on the subject look up some free documentaries on the subjects I mentioned. They're free to watch online. I'm sure everyone here would rather bash innocent people though so go ahead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

Yeah its unbelievable, would they have the same attitude to a person born with another genetic disorder.

It seems in this age of equal rights and respect for minorities has gained ground for many groups the Transgenders is the last group that still have a fight on their hand.

Good luck to them.

syklops wrote: »
    To be fair, the ignorance on the matter is not that shocking. Its a very uncommon situation.

Yes actually it is very shocking, there is a ton of information for free online on this very subject, there's no excuse for this level of ignorance. Also if you're that ignorant you shouldn't be commenting at all.

Yes actually it is very shocking, there is a ton of information for free online on this very subject, there's no excuse for this level of ignorance. Also if you're that ignorant you shouldn't be commenting at all.

What am I 'ignorant' about? You are the one who is coming off as ignorant. I feel sorry for the child in question because he will have years of counseling and therapy ahead of him. I am also sorry for him that his mother allowed the situation get so blown out of proportion that the story has crossed the Atlantic and we are reading about it.

Start making sense as to how I am 'ignorant' or your going on the block list.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭Millicent

FatherLen wrote: »
    sounds like a really bad parenting job

Why does it? Would you know how to react in that situation? I certainly don't and I've a huge interest in transgender issues. Sounds like the parents are letting the kid develop to who she wants to be while lovingly supporting her decisions. If, in the future, she decides that she would rather identify as a male after deciding that the female gender does not feel right, so be it.

It sounds like pretty good parenting to me. A lot of people could learn from that mother's willingness to go to bat for her child and let her be who she wants to be, not who her parents have decided she should be.

• Advertisement

later10 wrote: »

Agree with you there. Why force him to act male and make him depressed, let him act female if it make him happy. When his older he can decide for himself. Very brave parents imho. good luck to them...

Advertisement