Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Huge queues form at Capuchin food handout

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭Kernel

Dudess wrote: »
    Anyways, I know there are likely to be scammers, but I refuse to believe they're widespread. There are many bullsh1tty, half-assed stories and assumptions but little real proof. And it's usually the more stupid media like Joe Duffy and the Herald that they emerge from. Intelligent people tend not to come out with these claims. Some intelligent people do, but very few.

I can back up my claims through my own observations though. I know people might want me to conduct a survey of all people attending the centre, verified by a lie detector, but I'm afraid my own eyes and experience are all I have the time to go by. You're making claims without any direct experience whatsoever. You assumed that I didn't know the Romanian beggar, and you are continuing to make assumptions about a place you've never even been to. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Kernel wrote: »
    crosstownk wrote: »
    Quite correct. I used to work at this Day Centre many, many years ago. Nobody is turned away. The way Br. Kevin and the Capuchin Order see it is that if people ask for help the order will help in any way they can.

In my opinion Bro. Kevin (and Bro. Luke) are both deserving of sainthood.

Can you confirm my statement regarding the builders from eastern europe eating there for free? I agree about Bro. Kevin btw, he is a saint.
    I can't make any comment regarding eastern Europeans as I worked there long before they arrived in Ireland.

This is a charity run by a religious order who's ethos is based in Christian teachings. They will not judge. "Do not judge or you too will be judged", "Let him without sin cast the first stone", etc, etc.
    This is the mindset. Better to feed those that need it, including a few freeloaders, than leave the needy to starve.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

gerryo777 wrote: »
    :rolleyes:

Ah gerry what a crap post.

Benny_Cake wrote: »
    Well had another poster earlier who volunteered there who had a different account of his experience. But keep the ad-hominem attacks up if that suits you. One wonders why Br Kevin hasn't gone to the media complaining if this is such a huge problem.

Why would he, as has already been stated by myself and others, he doesn't refuse anybody, and he doesn't judge anybody.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

People can decide for themselves.
    Decide for themselves whether or not to donate time or money to the order? And don't say that's not what you're getting at, with tales of rafts of wasters sucking up donation money. So besides cribbing on the internet, you're trying to say that people shouldn't give to one of the few unambiguously shining lights of our nation?

Seems like something a prick would do, to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

The free meal must be very good to travel that distance.

Eh, bus pass?

I can't make any comment regarding eastern Europeans as I worked there long before they arrived in Ireland.

This is a charity run by a religious order who's ethos is based in Christian teachings. They will not judge. "Do not judge or you too will be judged", "Let him without sin cast the first stone", etc, etc.
    This is the mindset. Better to feed those that need it, including a few freeloaders, than leave the needy to starve.

Yes, I understand the scripture behind such beliefs. Thanks for the reply, I was just hoping an independent might verify my 'wild claims' according to some. I'm not against the centre at all, and I would hope that I do not dissuade people from giving to the centre. It just annoys me that there are people who would take advantage of charity at the expense of the genuinely destitute.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    The free meal must be very good to travel that distance.

Eh, bus pass?

I was thinking more of the time involved in travelling and queueing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

samina wrote: »
    It really makes my blood boil to see things like that. I won't give to St Vincent de Paul because they are taken advantage of so much. I used to see neighbours, who with live in partners who worked, get money from the every week and a holiday down in Wexford I think it was. This was after they returned from their holiday in Spain. Out drinking at least 2 nights a week and had all the best clothes. And these are far from isolated. The charities won't ask for proof of the family needing help for fear of scaring off people who really need it but imagine how much help they could give genuine people if they weeded out these bums
    So, punish the genuinely needy because of a handful of scammers? Nice.

Well I refuse to pay for these people to go on holiday when I can't afford one myself. That's how I'll stay until the system changes. I've seen them been taken advantage of more times than I have seen anyone who truly needs it get it. And these people dont need to que for food because theyll have their free hamper delivered. If I have something to give I'll give it to somewhere I feel it goes to the right place there's no harm in that.
    Makes your blood boil to see a charity initiative? Meh, they wouldn't want the help of someone with an attitude like yours so you're off the hook.
    How are initiatives like this paying for holidays? And how have you seen it taken advantage of more than not? Seems like you just resent people getting something for free no matter how much they need it...

Doc Ruby wrote: »
    Decide for themselves whether or not to donate time or money to the order? And don't say that's not what you're getting at, with tales of rafts of wasters sucking up donation money. So besides cribbing on the internet, you're trying to say that people shouldn't give to one of the few unambiguously shining lights of our nation?

Seems like something a prick would do, to be honest.

If you want to call me a prick, just come straight out with it Doc, I've been called a lot worse.

No, I don't want to have any effect on donations. I made a point regarding freeloaders taking the piss, and was attacked by people with no knowledge or experience of what they were talking about. I've said from the start that there are genuine people partaking in the charity, and that the brothers do great work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Jesus Christ is there no end to cynicism. Its Christmas ffs and people are queing up for food and people are moaning that they have shoes? They dont look poor enough, what do you want them to do? Be naked, you sound like something from a Dickens novel.

These people are proper Christians and should be admired for what they do for the poor, just be glad you dont have to queue up like that for food. How many people, what percentage of them do you really think are scammers? I honestly dont believe this.

If you want to call me a prick, just come straight out with it Doc, I've been called a lot worse.

No, I don't want to have any effect on donations. I made a point regarding freeloaders taking the piss, and was attacked by people with no knowledge or experience of what they were talking about. I've said from the start that there are genuine people partaking in the charity, and that the brothers do great work.
    Fair enough, I'm not one to mince words, but I'm also not a man to see good works undone by idle chatter.

Fair enough, I'm not one to mince words, but I'm also not a man to see good works undone by idle chatter.

Yeah, but my problem is that you know jack **** about it to be making such assertions. That's all.

Yeah, but my problem is that you know jack **** about it to be making such assertions. That's all.
    Your points are worthless when all they do is cause problems for the genuinely needy, even if you had a shred of evidence to back them up, which you don't, nor suggested solutions, making this idle chatter and cribbing on the internet which can only damage donations to good people.

And we have had actual charity workers on the thread disagreeing with you.

Yes, I understand the scripture behind such beliefs. Thanks for the reply, I was just hoping an independent might verify my 'wild claims' according to some. I'm not against the centre at all, and I would hope that I do not dissuade people from giving to the centre. It just annoys me that there are people who would take advantage of charity at the expense of the genuinely destitute.
    Unfortunately, in any such walk of life, there are always those that are only too ready to take advantage. It's everywhere. Social Welfare fraud is prime example.

Those who take advantage annoy me too. The Capuchins are probably equally as annoyed but for them it's about no questions asked charity. It's what they are.

Here's a simple example. When I worked there there was a guy who used to ask for some tea bags and bread every so often. He'd get about 20 tea bags and a small sliced pan. It came to the Day Centre's attention that he was selling a tea bag and a slice of bread for IR£1 back in his hostel. (this was in the 1980s). He called asking for the same thing after he was found out. Was he refused? No. Instead he got 2 tea bags and 2 slices of bread. In a religious outfit there is always room for forgiveness.

Your points are worthless when all they do is cause problems for the genuinely needy, even if you had a shred of evidence to back them up, which you don't, nor suggested solutions, making this idle chatter and cribbing on the internet which can only damage donations to good people.

What's all this rot about evidence?!? Direct evidence, my own observations, inside and outside the centre. Have you ever even seen the centre?
    And we have had actual charity workers on the thread disagreeing with you.

Who, the lad from a soup kitchen on the southside??? The Capuchin centre is on the northside and is nothing to do with his soup kitchen.... *Bangs head on keyboard*

What's all this rot about evidence?!? Direct evidence, my own observations, inside and outside the centre. Have you ever even seen the centre?
    And the observation about clothes lasting longer than people makes no never mind to you eh?
    Who, the lad from a soup kitchen on the southside??? The Capuchin centre is on the northside and is nothing to do with his soup kitchen.... *Bangs head on keyboard*
    Careful now.

You'll hurt a perfectly good keyboard.

Here's a simple example. When I worked there there was a guy who used to ask for some tea bags and bread every so often. He'd get about 20 tea bags and a small sliced pan. It came to the Day Centre's attention that he was selling a tea bag and a slice of bread for IR£1 back in his hostel. (this was in the 1980s). He called asking for the same thing after he was found out. Was he refused? No. Instead he got 2 tea bags and 2 slices of bread. In a religious outfit there is always room for forgiveness.

Some of them still sell the stuff from the hampers. Usually alcohol or drug addicts. Anyway, as I've said fair play to you for volunteering, and fair play to the Capuchin Centre. It's an awful shame that so many take advantage of it though.

And the observation about clothes lasting longer than people makes no never mind to you eh?

Just. Go. Down. And. See. For. Yourself..........................................

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭samina

It really makes my blood boil to see things like that. I won't give to St Vincent de Paul because they are taken advantage of so much. I used to see neighbours, who with live in partners who worked, get money from the every week and a holiday down in Wexford I think it was. This was after they returned from their holiday in Spain. Out drinking at least 2 nights a week and had all the best clothes. And these are far from isolated. The charities won't ask for proof of the family needing help for fear of scaring off people who really need it but imagine how much help they could give genuine people if they weeded out these bums
    So, punish the genuinely needy because of a handful of scammers? Nice.

Well I refuse to pay for these people to go on holiday when I can't afford one myself. That's how I'll stay until the system changes. I've seen them been taken advantage of more times than I have seen anyone who truly needs it get it. And these people dont need to que for food because theyll have their free hamper delivered. If I have something to give I'll give it to somewhere I feel it goes to the right place there's no harm in that.
    Makes your blood boil to see a charity initiative? Meh, they wouldn't want the help of someone with an attitude like yours so you're off the hook.
    How are initiatives like this paying for holidays? And how have you seen it taken advantage of more than not? Seems like you just resent people getting something for free no matter how much they need it...

I don't know where you live but where I live they do the rounds weekly handing out money, food and used to give a weeks holiday in a mobile somewhere don't know if they still do this. True they might not be paying for their bolidays in Spain maybe they are giving it the batman instead. Like I say they all work or collect the lone parents and live with their working partners. So he's I do begrudge people getting things for free when there are people who need it and could be getting more only for these people, not that I begrudge them getting it only because I don't because if I had the morals of a dog I could because they give to anyone who asks.

Yes I'm no great loss to them but I'd rather give my money where I know it's going to good use

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭carfiosaoorl

Just. Go. Down. And. See. For. Yourself..........................................

I dont understand what going down and looking is going to do. How can you judge a persons situation just by looking at them?

I dont understand what going down and looking is going to do. How can you judge a persons situation just by looking at them?

Good judgement? Common sense? Asking a few questions? Ask them if they work, are they on the dole etc. how many do they provide for and how much money they receive, you'll be surprised. You'll be giving a christmas hamper to the pakistani lad who works in the garage or newsagents instead mate. ;) Or the poor pensioner. Or the starving black babies in Africa. Or India. Or a country where real poverty doesn't consist of not being able to afford the latest Nike Air Max and a slab of tinnies for Thurs, Fri, Sat, Sun and Monday nights. haha! :D

If people did it, instead of talking nonsense through their keyboards, we would have a better discussion tbh. Other people offering opinions and questioning my judgement when they haven't ever laid eyes on the place, and know nothing of my experience.... typical boards tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭carfiosaoorl

Good judgement? Common sense? Asking a few questions? Ask them if they work, are they on the dole etc. how many do they provide for and how much money they receive, you'll be surprised. You'll be giving a christmas hamper to the pakistani lad who works in the garage or newsagents instead mate. ;) Or the poor pensioner. Or the starving black babies in Africa. Or India. Or a country where real poverty doesn't consist of not being able to afford the latest Nike Air Max and a slab of tinnies for Thurs, Fri, Sat, Sun and Monday nights. haha! :D

If people did it, instead of talking nonsense through their keyboards, we would have a better discussion tbh. Other people offering opinions and questioning my judgement when they haven't ever laid eyes on the place, and know nothing of my experience.... typical boards tbh.

So you're saying that you go down and question people in the queue about their situation and how they got there, seriously:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

I was thinking more of the time involved in travelling and queueing?

On the dole, retired, alone, bored, hungry?

So you're saying that you go down and question people in the queue about their situation and how they got there, seriously:confused:
    Exactly. Question someone who is in genuine need and you run a serious risk of embarrassing them into not returning for fear of further embarrassment.

No no, this evidence nonsense has no place in a reasonable discussion.

No volunteer and engage in conversation with them.

No no, this evidence nonsense has no place in a reasonable discussion.

Sure what would you know, you refuse to state whether you ever even laid eyes on the place?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

samina wrote:
    I don't know where you live but where I live they do the rounds weekly handing out money, food and used to give a weeks holiday in a mobile somewhere don't know if they still do this. True they might not be paying for their bolidays in Spain maybe they are giving it the batman instead. Like I say they all work or collect the lone parents and live with their working partners. So he's I do begrudge people getting things for free when there are people who need it and could be getting more only for these people, not that I begrudge them getting it only because I don't because if I had the morals of a dog I could because they give to anyone who asks.

Yes I'm no great loss to them but I'd rather give my money where I know it's going to good use
    it doesn't make sense that you feel for needy people, yet won't help them because of the scammers... :confused:

• Advertisement

Sure what would you know, you refuse to state whether you ever even laid eyes on the place?
    You never asked, and yes I have. If you haven't learned not to judge a book by its cover by the stage of your life I don't know what more can be said to you. Away and beyond that, you still haven't clarified what it is you hope to achieve by coming on with evidence-free claims about droves of spongers draining charitable donations.

Advertisement