Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Huge queues form at Capuchin food handout

Options
  • 21-12-2011 6:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭

Almost 2,000 Christmas food parcels were handed out at the Capuchin Friary in Dublin's Bow Street today, the highest amount in four years.
    The Friary said the free food was handed to people from all walks of life, including those they described as the new poor in need of assistance.
    Gardaí were on hand to help manage the queue that formed from early morning for the free parcels and bags of basic provisions to help people get through Christmas.
    Three years ago around 400 people arrived at the centre for the annual food handout.
    This morning, an initial 1,500 parcels were distributed and more were quickly assembled to meet demand.
    Those who lined up for the food came from many different backgrounds.
    Brother Kevin Crowley said the "new poor" would previously have been considered middle class, but in these straitened time need the support of services such as these.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/1221/capuchin.html

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

Id queue up to be served by a monkey too, that would be awesome!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

It's sad to see that things have come to this.

There have been a lot of threads here recently complaining about various charities - these are some of the good guys and if people have a little to give it's a worthy cause.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

gotta love the amount of new bright white nike trainers, ugg boots and the like in the video

also 6000'th post http://i.t.com.com/i/lumiere/2008/02/20/32334_320x240-32334-20080220_104642-320x240.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Anybody want to buy some parcels of basic Christmas provisions?

As new.

Would suit desperate families in mortgage arrears.

No time wasters please.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

A lot of wasters just there because they can get something for free.. not because they actually need the food packages.

There was some fella on the radio a few weeks ago saying about how he travels up from the country every week or so for the free meal. Pissed me off big time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jet Black

Damn it. Didn't see this posted in BA.

A lot of wasters just there because they can get something for free.. not because they actually need the food packages.

There was some fella on the radio a few weeks ago saying about how he travels up from the country every week or so for the free meal. Pissed me off big time

The free meal must be very good to travel that distance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Deserves a serious kicking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Dudess wrote: »

What are you confused about?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

If this guy is travelling up from the country for a free meal hunger and poverty would be the least of his problems.

Where's the proof that there are a lot of wasters just taking advantage? Or is that the default thing to say on AH?

A guy gets one free meal a week? Hardly taking the piss. Plus, it seems a bit dubious that he'd pay fairly high travel expenses to get one meal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Anita Blow

I'm hugely disappointed this doesn't involve an actual capuchin monkey.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

Ireland is truly a nation of begrudgers, reading some of the comments here.

I never had the need for food donations but if I ever should be in such dire straights (sp?) then I would be really ashamed to receive them - I certainly would not stand in that queue if I wasn't desperate to feed my family and myself.

Maybe that is just me but I can't see people who *don't need it* queuing for ages to get food.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

I suspect very few would queue up all morning for a loaf of bread, milk and some meat if it wasn't going to help greatly.

Lesson here is don't believe everything ya hear on the radio or else that fella is not in touch with reality.

It's good to see this service I'm okay with buying a bit of food for myself this week but some weeks I'd buy very very little and there are no other services to help with an on going lack of food, svp and cwo only help if you're really stuck once in a blue moon.
    (And you've probably heard of people being called round to by svp and given vouchers every week, girl from the flats was bragging about that to me, I hope its not true or has stopped.)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Very sad to hear,especially at this time of year.Great that these charity's are doing this fantastic work though.

Was talking to a nice homeless guy who sleeps rough near our office today,he told me he had an abscess on his tooth for around two weeks and eventually went down to a similar homeless charity and told them, and they paid for him to get the tooth extracted,plus his prescription.

Great work being done by the many charities in this country that goes unreported,and when something is reported,the recipients of these services are shouted down as wasters.

It's a shame how out of touch with reality some people obviously are.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

This is a great charity and do great work, but speaking from personal experience I know a lot of chancers who do take advantage. I have heard women in the local shop telling each other how they scammed Vincent de Paul, especially around this time of year. Scumbags.

The worst one I heard was "dress the child in shyte clothes from Barnardos so they believe you"

People are low. This shouldn't detract from what charity groups do though, because they really are a lifeline for some people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

Where's the proof that there are a lot of wasters just taking advantage? Or is that the default thing to say on AH?

A guy gets one free meal a week? Hardly taking the piss. Plus, it seems a bit dubious that he'd pay fairly high travel expenses to get one meal.

Default new right thanks whore imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭revell

Anyone got the food parcel? Can you post a picture of the contents? Just curious.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,995 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Where's the mocha queue?:confused:

• Advertisement

There are some strange people out there. I'm sure there are a handful who are odd enough to spend a good bit of time queueing for a free meal or some groceries. It's unavoidable.

I wouldn't consider that a reason not to give though, especially to this charity, it's basically Br Kevin and a few volunteers so the administration costs are very low. It's easy to sit on the sidelines and complain, but the work they do is amazing.

Very sad to hear,especially at this time of year.Great that these charity's are doing this fantastic work though.

Was talking to a nice homeless guy who sleeps rough near our office today,he told me he had an abscess on his tooth for around two weeks and eventually went down to a similar homeless charity and told them, and they paid for him to get the tooth extracted,plus his prescription.

Great work being done by the many charities in this country that goes unreported,and when something is reported,the recipients of these services are shouted down as wasters.

It's a shame how out of touch with reality some people obviously are.
    Wrong wrong wrong! You're supposed to say homeless people put themselves in that position and don't deserve sympathy - despite knowing nothing about their circumstances!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

Unless he was teleporting himself i reckon that right there is a false economy.

Or...complete bull****.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

Fair play to the monks for providing this one way or the other, even if it is being abused. This is a part of religion I can wholeheartedly support.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

You've been listening to Adrian Kennedy again, haven't you?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,944 ✭✭✭fedor.2.

I remember this kind of stuff maybe 10-12 years ago, its really sad to start hearing these stories again. Its proof that as a nation we achieved very little socially over the last 10 years. I know we as a family are paying attention to our neighbours that are in need this year, so maybe if anything good is going to come out of the situation we as a nation are in, its the fact that we may look out for each other a little bit more............i hope

• Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

gotta love the amount of new bright white nike trainers, ugg boots and the like in the video

Saw one pair of Nike runners after a bizarre amount of feet-watching. Where are the others?

Did not see any monkeys.

Nothing was being fried at this friary.

Did the monks know about the monkeys when they called themselves Capuchin?

So many questions!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

It's sad when so many articulate people on this thread make fun of the misfortune of others. Live in the hope that it never touches you in this life. You may not always be that smug.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

Freddie59 wrote: »
    Its sad when people make fun of the misfortune of others. Maybe you should have thought before posting that.

Don't see how that made fun of anyone's misfortune. It played on the name of the order of monks.

Maybe you should have thought before posting that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,944 ✭✭✭fedor.2.

also 6000'th post http://i.t.com.com/i/lumiere/2008/02/20/32334_320x240-32334-20080220_104642-320x240.jpg

Ya they should at least eat their shoes before they queue for food, plus that pic looks exactly how i picture you

Advertisement