Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Huge queues form at Capuchin food handout

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

Don't see how that made fun of anyone's misfortune. It played on the name of the order of monks.

Maybe you should have thought before posting that!

Not aimed specifically at you. There are others doing the same. I'm merely pointing out that some of those souls in that queue don't want to be there. They have to be. The monks really deserve kudos for this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

phasers wrote: »
    This is a great charity and do great work, but speaking from personal experience I know a lot of chancers who do take advantage. I have heard women in the local shop telling each other how they scammed Vincent de Paul, especially around this time of year. Scumbags.

The worst one I heard was "dress the child in shyte clothes from Barnardos so they believe you"

People are low. This shouldn't detract from what charity groups do though, because they really are a lifeline for some people.

Agreed. Similar carry-on here in Waterford for years. But it's very hard to spot. They are well practiced at it. No shame ,these cnuts, unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

Freddie59 wrote: »
    Not aimed specifically at you. There are others doing the same. I'm merely pointing out that some of those souls in that queue don't want to be there. They have to be. The monks really deserve kudos for this.

Not disagreeing there, and wouldn't insult them or joke about their situation. No smugness here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Freddie59 wrote: »
    phasers wrote: »
    This is a great charity and do great work, but speaking from personal experience I know a lot of chancers who do take advantage. I have heard women in the local shop telling each other how they scammed Vincent de Paul, especially around this time of year. Scumbags.

The worst one I heard was "dress the child in shyte clothes from Barnardos so they believe you"

People are low. This shouldn't detract from what charity groups do though, because they really are a lifeline for some people.

Agreed. Similar carry-on here in Waterford for years. But it's very hard to spot. They are well practiced at it. No shame ,these cnuts, unfortunately.
    If it's hard to spot, how do you know it's happening?

EGAR wrote: »
    Ireland is truly a nation of begrudgers, reading some of the comments here.
    Can't see how that means Ireland is a nation of begrudgers. You're gonna get that crap said by a few anywhere.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

A lot of wasters just there because they can get something for free.. not because they actually need the food packages.

There was some fella on the radio a few weeks ago saying about how he travels up from the country every week or so for the free meal. Pissed me off big time

Thats the guy who drives the Bentley in think

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭Kernel

Romanian beggar wearing better clothes than I have went in there today. I also remember the big queues of eastern european builders who went there during the boom on a daily basis for a free lunch or free stuff. It's a stroke, and the more people who get wide to it, the longer the lines will be.

Of course, it's a great thing for the few people who actually need it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

Jet Black wrote: »
    Damn it. Didn't see this posted in BA.

What a coincidence,all the beggars studied for B.a's :eek:

Kernel wrote: »
    Romanian beggar wearing better clothes than I have went in there today. I also remember the big queues of eastern european builders who went there during the boom on a daily basis for a free lunch or free stuff. It's a stroke, and the more people who get wide to it, the longer the lines will be.

Roma.

And unless you have the actual stats, you don't know that it's only a few who need it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭LighterGuy

Its good to see there is some good being done.
    But from watching the video, I cant help but say how a few people there dont look that poor.

Terrible alright. Thats designed to help those in need the most. But you'll still get the odd few just going in to get something for free.

Life is really about all you can get isnt it.

• Advertisement

Dudess wrote: »
    Roma.

And unless you have the actual stats, you don't know that it's only a few who need it.

Roma gypsies can be Romanian too, are you some kind of racist or something? Perhaps you think they should have their own State or something.

As for stats, I have my own experience and observations of the place, and I'm sharing them here. Is that not allowed either? Can we not say anything we have observed now, without studies and empirical research to back it up?

ejmaztec wrote: »
    Where's the mocha queue?:confused:
    I'd be taking advantage of the latte queue myself.

Roma.

They should have had people on the door refusing Roma beggars in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

LighterGuy wrote: »
    Its good to see there is some good being done.
    But from watching the video, I cant help but say how a few people there dont look that poor.

Terrible alright. Thats designed to help those in need the most. But you'll still get the odd few just going in to get something for free.

Life is really about all you can get isnt it.

Yeah,I'd say half of Foxrock are down there alright for a hamper with a bottle of Grey Goose vodka,San Pelligrino, and a selection of delicacies from Avoca.

FFS,how are people in financial straits supposed to dress. A lot of these people were doing ok up until recently, should they throw out their clothes? Would rags and open sores suit them better?

Roma.

Roma gypsies can be Romanian too, are you some kind of racist or something? Perhaps you think they should have their own State or something.
    Strawman. You called them Romanian despite not knowing their nationality - unless they told you? Just admit you mixed up Roma with Romanian. You're not the only one, by a long shot. What the fuk is the "own state" thing about?
    As for stats, I have my own experience and observations of the place, and I'm sharing them here. Is that not allowed either? Can we not say anything we have observed now, without studies and empirical research to back it up?
    Who said you can't? Can people not question you though? Christ, some amount of "I'm entitled to my opinion but others aren't entitled to theirs" on Boards today.

Btw, it's not Dickens' time - people don't have to be in rags to "look poor" these days...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭LighterGuy

Yeah I agree.
    Its bad alright. Like, yes its good we have these things for people who need it. But always will be people taking advantage of it.

I watched the video there. The dole is enough to cover peoples food. They should have to prove they are in debt or something. Bring along their mortgage evidence or loan letters and their P45.

Shouldn't be giving free stuff to eastern europeans (unless in debt), roma beggers, scabby students, pissheads or chancers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

woodoo wrote: »
    They should have had people on the door refusing Roma beggars in.
    The brothers refuse nobody, and don't keep stats either.

Strawman. You called them Romanian despite not knowing their nationality - unless they told you? Just admit you mixed up Roma with Romanian. You're not the only one, by a long shot. What the fuk is the "own state" thing about?

Yeah I know the lad actually, and he is Romanian.
    Who said you can't? Can people not question you though? Christ, some amount of "I'm entitled to my opinion but others aren't entitled to theirs" on Boards today.

You seem to think you know everything better than everyone else, even in areas you have no experience of. That irks me.
    Btw, it's not Dickens' time - people don't have to be in rags to "look poor" these days...

Yeah, or maybe they're not poor. When the builders were going in, they were earning a pretty penny. The Capuchins refuse nobody, so if I pull up in a Lexus, wearing a Rolex, I still get a free meal. My point is, people take advantage of that, because that's what many Irish people do.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

I watched the video there. The dole is enough to cover peoples food. They should have to prove they are in debt or something. Bring along their mortgage evidence or loan letters and their P45.

Shouldn't be giving free stuff to eastern europeans (unless in debt), roma beggers, scabby students, pissheads or chancers.

there should also be a 3 month waiting period and lots of lost forms.

• Advertisement

Its a charitable service that gets very little from the government.So they can give free food to whoever the hell they want.The dole probably is sufficient to cover food for most people, but there are other things people need to spend money on too,light,heat,shelter,clothing,school books,you know,all those luxuries.

Benny_Cake wrote: »
    Its a charitable service that gets very little from the government.So they can give free food to whoever the hell they want.The dole probably is sufficient to cover food for most people, but there are other things people need to spend money on too,light,heat,shelter,clothing,school books,you know,all those luxuries.

Don't forget Dutch gold, hoop earrings, cigarettes, new tracksuits, and smack.

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Gandhi

In fairness, it is a charity, not a government program, so you can't complain taxes are paying for it. If you have a problem with it, don't donate money or volunteering time to that charity.

When I was in college, some students would go to Cork Penny Dinners (I think that was what it was called - it was a food kitchen for the homeless) for lunch. For a (thankfully short) while, it was considered the cool thing to do by the hippy / pothead crowd. Doesn't mean they should have shut the place down and turfed out the homeless guys.

Target it better and give them more. Weed out the freeloaders.

Gandhi wrote: »
    When I was in college, some students would go to Cork Penny Dinners (I think that was what it was called - it was a food kitchen for the homeless) for lunch. For a (thankfully short) while, it was considered the cool thing to do by the hippy / pothead crowd. Doesn't mean they should have shut the place down and turfed out the homeless guys.

Spend their money on pot and go for free means meant for the homeless. They are just the people i'd want to weed out of the Capuchin food handout.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

They aren't trying to be a model of efficiency and equity. They are an order that sees all people as equal in their need, and it is their vocation to feed anyone who comes to their door.

There are worse ways to spend a life.

They're a Franciscan order, the philosophy is to feed those who need it, or say they need it. I'd say the freeloaders are few and far between, but how would you suggest they weed them out? If they hire full-time admin staff to do it you'd have people on here complaining about the amount of money spent on administration and how little goes to those who need it. No one is forcing you to donate money to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭gerryo777

I watched the video there. The dole is enough to cover peoples food. They should have to prove they are in debt or something. Bring along their mortgage evidence or loan letters and their P45
    :rolleyes:

I'd say the freeloaders are few and far between,

Seriously everybody, go down there next Christmas, or volunteer, and be enlightened. ;)

• Advertisement

Yeah I know the lad actually, and he is Romanian.

You seem to think you know everything better than everyone else, even in areas you have no experience of. That irks me.

Yeah, or maybe they're not poor. When the builders were going in, they were earning a pretty penny. The Capuchins refuse nobody, so if I pull up in a Lexus, wearing a Rolex, I still get a free meal. My point is, people take advantage of that, because that's what many Irish people do.
    Be irked all you like. No I don't think I know better - I just back up what I say and it says a lot about people who have a problem with that.
    Yeah, some people might take advantage - as would happen in any country, not just Ireland. But why the need to focus on this - also we don't know each individual's situation.

Advertisement