Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Huge queues form at Capuchin food handout

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭samina

It really makes my blood boil to see things like that. I won't give to St Vincent de Paul because they are taken advantage of so much. I used to see neighbours, who with live in partners who worked, get money from the every week and a holiday down in Wexford I think it was. This was after they returned from their holiday in Spain. Out drinking at least 2 nights a week and had all the best clothes. And these are far from isolated. The charities won't ask for proof of the family needing help for fear of scaring off people who really need it but imagine how much help they could give genuine people if they weeded out these bums

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

samina wrote: »
    It really makes my blood boil to see things like that. I won't give to St Vincent de Paul because they are taken advantage of so much. I used to see neighbours, who with live in partners who worked, get money from the every week and a holiday down in Wexford I think it was. This was after they returned from their holiday in Spain. Out drinking at least 2 nights a week and had all the best clothes. And these are far from isolated. The charities won't ask for proof of the family needing help for fear of scaring off people who really need it but imagine how much help they could give genuine people if they weeded out these bums
    So, punish the genuinely needy because of a handful of scammers? Nice.

Also, your post looks like vague bollocks. You "think" it was Wexford is it? And was it definitely straight after their holiday in Spain?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭Wisesmurf

People are always going to try pull a fast one when something is free but I wouldn't start asking people to 'prove' that they were in need as it may turn people who are genuinely in need away with embarrassment.

My girlfriends mam and her sisters were passing the hand out last week and felt compelled to help. They could not give their time but they set up an impromptu collection and raised over €1000 between them. That money was handed in yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭Kernel

Dudess wrote: »
    Be irked all you like. No I don't think I know better - I just back up what I say and it says a lot about people who have a problem with that.

Have you ever even been to the Capuchin Centre on Bow Streeet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 553 ✭✭✭ThePower11

Where can I find the video of this?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭Crazy Horse 6

A lot of wasters just there because they can get something for free.. not because they actually need the food packages.

There was some fella on the radio a few weeks ago saying about how he travels up from the country every week or so for the free meal. Pissed me off big time

Utter utter tripe. You must live in a complete bubble. I work part time for a homeless charity in the South inner city and things have become terrible these last few weeks and months for people who are homeless or just need a decent meal every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Ah yes P45's and PPS numbers to make sure hungry people deserve the modest free meal/food parcels that they dossed two hours away queuing up in the cold for.Excellent idea.Maybe an X-ray of their stomach too to prove they haven't eaten anything that day as-well perhaps?

Also quite a few homeless people that I've come into contact with over the years don't qualify for social welfare for one reason or another (no permanent address being a main one.).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

Kernel wrote: »
    Be irked all you like. No I don't think I know better - I just back up what I say and it says a lot about people who have a problem with that.

So what proportion of those currently using the centre don't require it's services?

No. Have you?

I can't prove there aren't scammers but why the insatiable need to focus on the possibility that they may be there? There are genuinely needy - all that matters is they're being helped.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭samina

samina wrote: »
    So, punish the genuinely needy because of a handful of scammers? Nice.

Well I refuse to pay for these people to go on holiday when I can't afford one myself. That's how I'll stay until the system changes. I've seen them been taken advantage of more times than I have seen anyone who truly needs it get it. And these people dont need to que for food because theyll have their free hamper delivered. If I have something to give I'll give it to somewhere I feel it goes to the right place there's no harm in that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Doc Ruby wrote: »
    woodoo wrote: »
    Target it better and give them more. Weed out the freeloaders.
    They aren't trying to be a model of efficiency and equity. They are an order that sees all people as equal in their need, and it is their vocation to feed anyone who comes to their door.

There are worse ways to spend a life.

Quite correct. I used to work at this Day Centre many, many years ago. Nobody is turned away. The way Br. Kevin and the Capuchin Order see it is that if people ask for help the order will help in any way they can.

I've often suspected a very small element of freeloaders but questions are not asked. The Capuchins do not judge - they help.

There are people who genuinely rely on this service and the service provided is excellent despite the inevitable freeloader.

In my opinion Bro. Kevin (and Bro. Luke) are both deserving of sainthood.

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Gandhi

Seriously everybody, go down there next Christmas, or volunteer, and be enlightened. ;)

Have you ever actually volunteered or just walked past? I know several people who volunteer at shelters and soup kitchens and they all find the idea laughable that more than a tiny percentage of the people they serve are freeloaders.

The notion of drugs-testing and means-testing is ridiculous because these charities depend on remaining ultra-low-cost to deliver their services. Almost all goods are donated and almost all work is done by volunteers. They could feed a hundred people for the cost and effort of a single drug test or background check.

crosstownk wrote: »
    Quite correct. I used to work at this Day Centre many, many years ago. Nobody is turned away. The way Br. Kevin and the Capuchin Order see it is that if people ask for help the order will help in any way they can.

I've often suspected a very small element of freeloaders but questions are not asked. The Capuchins do not judge - they help.

There are people who genuinely rely on this service and the service provided is excellent despite the inevitable freeloader.

Well said and fair play to you for helping out. People seem to expect a few monks to act like Social Welfare and demand payslips, PPS numbers, etc - their inspiration isn't a government agency, it's St.Francis and that's how it should be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

You're only allowed to avail of the service if you are almost starved to death, dressed in rags and are Irish...

wtf, do you expect the queue to look like this?

I will throw a guess in here and say not many people like having to do this for the sake of some food.

This really is a great charity and one I always donate to when I have the cash.

http://homeless.ie/Capuchin_Day_Centre/Welcome.html

No. Have you?

I can't prove there aren't scammers but why the insatiable need to focus on the possibility that they may be there? There are genuinely needy - all that matters is they're being helped.

Yes, I've been in it, and I also travel about the area there on a daily basis. And yet you and your sidekick Benny Cake require me to provide you with impossible statistics re: how many people actually need the food handed out there, when you both probably know jack **** about the place. I mean, come on.....

As for your second question, my reasons for focusing on the spongers, are twofold: first; the headline and thread are implying that there is a huge increase in people availing of the service due to an increase in poverty. I have a problem with this because it's not true that people are on the breadline. EDIT: To the extent that they have no food. Working people are on the breadline because of increased taxes, bills and mortgages, reduced wages etc. *End edit. We have an overly generous social welfare state, whereby it is more lucrative for people to sit on their arses than to work a low paid job - ridiculous situation that is unsustainable for the country.

Second reason is simple; if these spongers were not taking advantage of the charity of the brothers, then more money and resources could be going to the genuine poor who deserve it. Not the sponging kunts who have this country bolloxed already. Pardon my vernacular. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

I have a problem with this because it's not true that people are on the breadline.
    There's plenty of people that can't avail of welfare; the self employed, the recently returned from abroad, immigrants who haven't their papers in order, its actually a pretty long list...

crosstownk wrote: »

Can you confirm my statement regarding the builders from eastern europe eating there for free? I agree about Bro. Kevin btw, he is a saint.

Gandhi wrote: »
    Have you ever actually volunteered or just walked past?

Both.

There's plenty of people that can't avail of welfare; the self employed, the recently returned from abroad, immigrants who haven't their papers in order, its actually a pretty long list...

I agree, but as I've said, be around the centre on the day when those hampers are handed out, it'll open your eyes.

Yes, I've been in it, and I also travel about the area there on a daily basis. And yet you and your sidekick Benny Cake require me to provide you with impossible statistics re: how many people actually need the food handed out there, when you both probably know jack **** about the place. I mean, come on.....

As for your second question, my reasons for focusing on the spongers, are twofold: first; the headline and thread are implying that there is a huge increase in people availing of the service due to an increase in poverty. I have a problem with this because it's not true that people are on the breadline. EDIT: To the extent that they have no food. Working people are on the breadline because of increased taxes, bills and mortgages, reduced wages etc. *End edit. We have an overly generous social welfare state, whereby it is more lucrative for people to sit on their arses than to work a low paid job - ridiculous situation that is unsustainable for the country.

Second reason is simple; if these spongers were not taking advantage of the charity of the brothers, then more money and resources could be going to the genuine poor who deserve it. Not the sponging kunts who have this country bolloxed already. Pardon my vernacular. ;)

Firstly, I'm no one's sidekick.

Secondly, you haven't stated what proportion of those using the service are taking advantage. But you seem to have a larger issue with people on social welfare so I'd imagine that you think most of those there are taking advantage.

Edit: Of course I'm not looking for a precise percentage - just a rough estimate from your own experience.

• Advertisement

"Sidekick" - paranoid much?

Benny_Cake wrote: »
    Firstly, I'm no one's sidekick.

Secondly, you haven't stated what proportion of those using the service are taking advantage. But you seem to have a larger issue with people on social welfare so I'd imagine that you think most of those there are taking advantage.

You don't know what you're talking about.

Well that was time well spent with my last reply to you...

I agree, but as I've said, be around the centre on the day when those hampers are handed out, it'll open your eyes.
    It takes three weeks for the average person to starve to death, but you're severely messed up after only a few days. The average set of clothes on the other hand lasts considerably longer. So unless you've personally interviewed every one of those people, you haven't really got much to go on here.

There probably are spongers but what do you suggest? The order isn't going to can't and won't introduce some sort of filtering, and its a far more noble calling than many, so what are you saying should be done?

It takes three weeks for the average person to starve to death, but you're severely messed up after only a few days. The average set of clothes on the other hand lasts considerably longer.

It's terrible the amount of people starving to death on the streets of Dublin. It's becoming a real chore stepping over the bodies on the way to work....
    So unless you've personally interviewed every one of those people, you haven't really got much to go on here.

That's ridiculous. Yeah, we all interview everybody involved in everything before making an observation.

Goddamn liberals think they know better than the person with the direct experience, even though it's been shown that people talking crap here haven't even laid eyes on the centre before. Anyone else had enough of this nonsense. :rolleyes:

It's terrible the amount of people starving to death on the streets of Dublin. It's becoming a real chore stepping over the bodies on the way to work....

That's ridiculous. Yeah, we all interview everybody involved in everything before making an observation.

Goddamn liberals think they know better than the person with the direct experience, even though it's been shown that people talking crap here haven't even laid eyes on the centre before. Anyone else had enough of this nonsense. :rolleyes:
    You didn't answer my question.

Well that was time well spent with my last reply to you...
    Sorry. Paranoid jibes irk me.

Anyways, I know there are likely to be scammers, but I refuse to believe they're widespread. There are many bullsh1tty, half-assed stories and assumptions but little real proof. And it's usually the more stupid media like Joe Duffy and the Herald that they emerge from. Intelligent people tend not to come out with these claims. Some intelligent people do, but very few.
    There are also the individual stories to consider - I always find it weird the way people attack "skangers" yet feel sorry for their kids - those kids are gonna wind up the same way, and their parents likely grew up with such parenting. Easy to say get a job - but not many employers would take them on.

Well had another poster earlier who volunteered there who had a different account of his experience. But keep the ad-hominem attacks up if that suits you. One wonders why Br Kevin hasn't gone to the media complaining if this is such a huge problem.

There probably are spongers but what do you suggest? The order isn't going to can't and won't introduce some sort of filtering, and its a far more noble calling than many, so what are you saying should be done?

I'm not suggesting anything. I'm not here to fix the situation, I'm merely relaying my experiences of it. People can decide for themselves.

• Advertisement

Benny_Cake wrote: »

Well had another poster earlier who volunteered there who had a different account of his experience. But keep the ad-hominem attacks up if that suits you. One wonders why Br Kevin hasn't gone to the media complaining if this is such a huge problem.
    And that other person who volunteers and said poverty is hugely on the increase is far from being a liberal. It's got fuk all to do with being a liberal - why oh why is that lame term always resorted to?
    Social welfare is relatively high because the cost of living is high. And just because some working people are on the breadline, that means none on social welfare could be...? :confused:

Advertisement