Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maths jokes!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

But the original joke says, infinite amount of money, 1/n as n goes to infinity diverges. 1/(n^2) doesn't, it converges. I don't see why the original joke isn't funny...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

You're getting confused with the series 1/2^n.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Colours

einstein.gif

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,700 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

One day, Jesus said to his disciples: "The Kingdom of Heaven is like 3x squared plus 8x minus 9."
    A man who had just joined the disciples looked very confused and asked Peter: "What, on Earth, does he mean by that?"
    Peter replied: "Don't worry - it's just another one of his parabolas."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

The barman said I am sorry we don't serve neutrinos

A neutrino walks into the bar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭BlueBaron

there was a explosion at the pie factory.

3.14159265 found dead.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,700 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

My local pie shop is doing a special 3.1 for 2

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Stolen from YLYL2:pac:

bl5Ff.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭reap-a-rat

Learning the Fibonacci Series is as easy as 1 1 2 3!

I'll stop at nothing to avoid using negative numbers.

• Advertisement

ciano6 wrote: »
    Why was six afraid of seven?
    Because seven eight nine.

Why are jokes in Z_8 not funny?

Because 7 0 1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,373 ✭✭✭im invisible

there are 10 types of people in the world...

those that understand trinary,

those that dont,

and those that confuse it with binary

I prefer the term ternary.

The Russians actually build such a computer http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Setun

6YcwE.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,957 ✭✭✭✭bnt

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

I failed so many maths tests that I cant even count.

(sqrt(cos(x))*cos(400*x)+sqrt(abs(x))-0.4)-(4-x*x)^0.1

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Richard Cranium

Let ε < 0.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭Captain Graphite

Let ε < 0.

World's shortest maths joke! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Reillyman

Let ε < 0.

Hahaha I just imagined myself trying to explain that joke to someone that doesn't study maths, it would be impossible!

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Richard Cranium

What do mermaid maths teachers wear?
    Algebras.

• Advertisement

"This is a one line proof...if we start sufficiently far to the left."

If I have seen farther than others, it is because I was standing on the shoulders of giants.
    -- Isaac Newton

In the sciences, we are now uniquely privileged to sit side by side with the giants on whose shoulders we stand.
    -- Gerald Holton

If I have not seen as far as others, it is because giants were standing on my shoulders.
    -- Hal Abelson

Mathematicians stand on each other's shoulders.
    -- Gauss

Mathematicians stand on each other's shoulders while computer scientists stand on each other's toes.
    -- Richard Hamming

It has been said that physicists stand on one another's shoulders. If this is the case, then programmers stand on one another's toes, and software engineers dig each other's graves.
    -- Unknown

jcCPW.jpg

According to some news reports, a teacher in the USA was fired after he gave his students some Maths problems that he had downloaded from a home schooling website. The plagiarism wasn't the why he was fired: no, he was fired after some of the parents saw the questions. Sample:
    John's father gave him 1359 marbles on his birthday. John swallowed 585 marbles and died. 9 of John's friends came for his funeral the next day. John's grieving father gave the remaining marbles to John's friends in equal numbers. How many marbles did each friend get?
    The owner of the site has since taken the problems down and posted an apology/explanation/not-my-fault message, but one sheet can still be downloaded (PDF) that includes this:
    Brian loves deformed chickens. Last weekend he bought 770 mutant chickens from a mad scientist. When he brought them home, he noticed that he had twice as many hairy chickens as bald chickens, and twice as many wooly chickens as hairy chickens. How many more wooly chickens than bald chickens did he have?
    Maybe the parents were appalled, but kids these days might actually be in to that sort of thing ... :pac:

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

2010-05-19-fishgraph.png

dangerousdivision.png

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭krafty

2505656136_7b2aca9221_o.jpg

I don't get it. How come 8 can see him but neither 2 nor 3 can? Am I missing something? How sleep-deprived can I be?

krafty wrote: »
    I don't get it. How come 8 can see him but neither 2 nor 3 can? Am I missing something? How sleep-deprived can I be?

"i" is imaginary so it can't be sleep deprived.

Jernal wrote: »
    "i" is imaginary so it can't be sleep deprived.

:p hah

Seriously though, what's so special about 8?

krafty wrote: »
    :p hah

Seriously though, what's so special about 8?
    It's not 8 it's nought
    wearing a belt

• Advertisement

It's not 8 it's nought
    wearing a belt

Ah now I get it - thanks.

Advertisement