Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Chillout Zone (Off-Topic Thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

Whispered wrote: »
    Late late toy show is on tonight!! Surely you were not considering going out!! :eek:

it was my birthday yesterday, friends coming home for the beers tonight...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭are you serious

I havnt actually posted here on this thread yet about time though I recon..

Anyway I was out with my 2 today with a friend and his Beagle, a guy pulls his car up beside us and asks my friend where he got him because his 7 yr old son wants a dog for Christmas....

So needless to say I didnt take to this in the best of manners, I asked him a few questions and told him I am all about dogs. Asked what was his budget or how much he thought he would be spending... Now this bit made me laugh, he said "ah sure €150 is the going rate isnt it".. I looked at him and looked at my 2 and said are you winding me up, sure these 2 are worth more than your car pal. He asked how much did it cost to feed them I said about €100 a month, his reply ah sure its all money isnt it... I laughed again at him. Gave him as much advice in about 15 seconds as I could because clearly he didnt deserve any more of my time.

I do hope his sons new dog will be looked after as his santy letter asked for a real dog!

Happy friday/weekend to everyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

garkane wrote: »
    I havnt actually posted here on this thread yet about time though I recon..

Anyway I was out with my 2 today with a friend and his Beagle, a guy pulls his car up beside us and asks my friend where he got him because his 7 yr old son wants a dog for Christmas....

So needless to say I didnt take to this in the best of manners, I asked him a few questions and told him I am all about dogs. Asked what was his budget or how much he thought he would be spending... Now this bit made me laugh, he said "ah sure €150 is the going rate isnt it".. I looked at him and looked at my 2 and said are you winding me up, sure these 2 are worth more than your car pal. He asked how much did it cost to feed them I said about €100 a month, his reply ah sure its all money isnt it... I laughed again at him. Gave him as much advice in about 15 seconds as I could because clearly he didnt deserve any more of my time.

I do hope his sons new dog will be looked after as his santy letter asked for a real dog!

Happy friday/weekend to everyone!

Hopefully he isin't the sort to follow you to see where you live and look for an opportunity to pinch your dogs, in hindsight it probably wasn't a good idea to say your two dogs are worth more than his car!

People looking for Christmas pups really annoys me, especially for their kids from Santa. What does that teach the kids about pets, that they're as disposable as their new toys and they can shove them in the corner and forget about them when their bored with it. When will people learn! A dog is for life not just for Christmas is one of the most well known sayings yet people still buy dogs for Christmas. >:-(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

zuroph wrote: »
    it was my birthday yesterday, friends coming home for the beers tonight...

Happy birthday!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Happy birthday Zuroph!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,032 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Happy Birthday! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭are you serious

Ah no he was only interested in the Beagle, not my Rottie's he wouldnt even rub them!! The cheek :p

I was actually over in Blanchardstown walking with my friend who lives over there, I was on my way to my van then so he'd have had to go a long way to follow me ;)

Although you do make a good point, burglary's are on the up and what is happening even more these days is a burglary where pets are being taken!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Well Lexi is back at the vets today. Got sick again Saturday, brought her to local vet to get different food and to weigh her. She is down another half kg in two weeks. Rang our own vet as we were worried there was something stuck she couldnt pass so she was in first thing this morning for xrays, bloodwork etc.

I'm off sick as well and meant to be picking up a dog this evening for a local rescue and forgot we have a 2 hour appointment this evening that we have an hours drove to get there. can feel the tension headache coming on! :-(

Awww, tillygirl hope she's ok.:(

I have put some vet bed into cardboard boxes for the cats in preparation for the move (they love cardboard boxes and will be getting shut in various rooms while the place is sorted), and came home from walkies and Oliver jumped into a box and tried to curl up.
    There's bits of him hanging over the edge of the box and its fit to burst, you'd think he had no where else to go (there are two empty dog beds here):D:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭belongtojazz

Well my never ending saga with my neighbour and her vicious lab continues :(
    I came across the neighbours pup while I was out walking my springer last night about 10 minutes walk from home. Pretty much every day this pup escapes and I keep bringing him home. I knocked on the door to hand the pup back and had Boe with me on his lead, they open the door and vicious dog charges out and pins my Boe to the ground! Thankfully he wasn't hurt and the son managed to pull her off my boy. I was so angry I cpuldn't respond when they apologised and told me they would tie the pup up again :(
    So cross with them and there is nothing I can do about it :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭Bubblefett

Hey! Though this might be usefull to some posters here- pigsback mega deal are doing €25 petstop vouchers for €12.50. I ordered 1 to buy my boy his christmas pressies :D

bubblefett wrote: »
    Hey! Though this might be usefull to some posters here- pigsback mega deal are doing €25 petstop vouchers for €12.50. I ordered 1 to buy my boy his christmas pressies :D

Oh very tempting!! :D Our nearest one is in airside though - it could be like a warzone so close to xmas!! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭emmabrighton

Bored at lunch in the office and came across this vid on youtube. Hillarious and cute. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KvxCv_yrcCY

:D Got 2 of the vouchers - saving one for the new year when he's back on his feet and can run amok again. I've had to hide some of his toys because he's going mad playing with them - flicking them up and catching them, jumping on them etc. He's 6 weeks post op now (7 on tues) and so far so good - everything is fine. :) Out of the crate during the day and then I've been putting him in it at night - I'll probably take the crate down in the next week.

Brought the dogs over to my new house last night, they loved the garden even in the dark, but Oliver had to be carried inside and freaked:(
    He doesn't like the new house:(
    I will have to move over some more stuff and his bed and things and hope he takes it better at the weekend.
    I'm sure once my daughter is there too it will make a difference, Tiffi didn't seem bothered and followed me around.
    Anyone any tips for moving with an oddball dog?
    He freaks at the oddest things.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

One of mine is a nightmare to move house with, she hates anyone moving around the furniture and cries if she sees anyone taking furniture out of the house. I found she only settled back down when all our stuff was in the new house and the sitting room was set up. Having said that it always involves a trip to the vet for nervous colitious!

:D Yaay!! So Bailey Boy has passed his probation over the last week and half - building up the time he spent out of the crate to just going in at night so we took the crate down today and put his bed back! Delighted with himself lol :)

@mymo thanks for posting about your scaredy dog - it made me realize I'm not the only one with one! :)

TK123, he's complete nutter, we had him over in new place yesterday he still goes nuts, won't walk far on the wood floors, but upstairs he's fine (getting him up there was a whole other story.
    I ordered a thundershirt but had to get it sent to my dads in UK, hoping he sends it soon. He runs away when we open the new fridge (its different to old one he liked to stick his head in), he freaked when I flushed the loo (sounds slightly different to old one), but did improve with my daughter and her friends there.

One thing he does like is the big garden, they both christened it within an hour of being there. :rolleyes:
    Still going over and back, hope to be moved in fully by weekend. Just hoping the basket case adapts quickly.

TooManyDogs, he is just like that, hates us moving things around, and a lot of the stuff we have here isn't moving with us, just hope the colitis doesn't happen:eek:

On our walk earlier one of the houses we pass has some lovely new xmas lights in the garden - 3 or 4 reindeer along the path in the garden - not plastic model type ones just the outline of the reindeer in white lights if that makes sense. Anyhoos bold boy decided they didn't belong there and barked the place down at them. He barked at LIGHTS lol!! :pac: :rolleyes:
    I'm wondering if I should have him assessed by a behaviourist when his leg his better - I want to make sure I'm doing the right things to try and make him less fearful?

Yep, we've had that, but with the little dog growling at the reindeer.
    Funny thing, the snowman in another neighbours garden never bothered her.
    Amazing thing is mine aren't afraid of cars or trucks, fireworks or other stuff, Oliver even watched the full St Patricks parade, brass band and all, no bother.:rolleyes:

TK is he fine after seeing things a few times?
    Mine are, its just the first time or two that bother them, I don't worry to much, just carry on like normal and act like I've no idea what the problem is. :D

• Advertisement

mymo wrote: »
    TK is he fine after seeing things a few times?
    Mine are, its just the first time or two that bother them, I don't worry to much, just carry on like normal and act like I've no idea what the problem is. :D

Some times yes and sometimes no. EG he's 2 now and still afraid of the tin foil!:rolleyes: He's still afraid of buses and trucks etc - sometimes I can get his attention so he's focusing on me instead and he ignores them and sometimes I can't and we have to wait until the pass or he might try and pull away from them. If I change our route on a walk he gets stressed out, we always have to walk so that traffic is coming towards us and not behind us or he's looking over his shoulder the whole time or pulling to try and get away. I could go on and on. I think I'd like a pro to tell me how good/bad he is on a scaredy dog scale and go thru a plan of how to work with it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 318 ✭✭chris139ryan

Gave Bruno his first big bone today my god did he enjoy it. He never stopped chewing it from 2-6pm great way to keep in occupied for a few hours. Will certainly be keeping this up :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭belongtojazz

TK I think a behaviourist is a great idea, a really good one can see amazing things that us loving amateurs can't... Even if it is just to reassure you that you are doing the right thing by him it is money very well spent ( in my humble opinion )

I have just come in from possibly the coldest walks we have ever been on! At least in the snow and -15 last year there wasn't a wind there ready to cut you in half :(

It was also ruined by meeting my neighbours lab from hell... Thankfully all dogs were on lead but poor likkle Jazz got so frightened she hid behind me and just kept darting out to try and look big by barking loudly, Boe was great he just stayed by my side although he was tense and barked a bit :(

I dodged the snow last year - he had his op and was on crate rest for the first round and then hurt himself and went back in the crate so I dodged the second round!
    Walking this evening we were later than normal so passed the church at 6:00pm and the bells started ringing then a car alarm went off :rolleyes:...I'd left the thunder shirt off him and he was terrified walking away from it for ages but we were lucky enough to bump into somebody we know so he settled and perked up when he saw her but then got stressed again :( I'm going to try him with the thunder shirt for the next few days and see how he gets on but will def get him assessed I think. Just so I can get a plan of what to do. Every time I think we've turned a corner something like the bells or a car alarm etc will crop up and we seem to be back to square one.

ANYHOOS - on a happier note here's a funny pic from the weekend.. :pac:

":eek:Hey..where's my crate gone!?.... oh wait never mind!!! :cool:"
    185115.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I usually walk the guys on Portmarnock beach at night, its safe and we've usually the run of the place.

But last night I decided to try a different area, Father Collins Park (D.13).

I never realized it would be so dark, then we'd a storm last night and the noise of the wind turbines all but drowned out my voice - and I lost my dogs!.

I never realized how terrifying it is to lose a dog (or two) so I was on the phone immediately to get some people up to help look for them.

After 30 minutes I was imagining all sorts, from them drowning in the lake to being robbed by the near by caravan'ing community who'd think they were fighting dogs!.. And whatever about Richo the male, Ruby would die of fright.

Anyway, they're safe at home now. And even when I was dropping off to sleep I had flash backs and 'what if's!!.

Back to Portmarnock from here on.

And even when I was dropping off to sleep I had flash backs and 'what if's!!.

GAH!! You must have been terrified!!:( I know what you mean thou - it just stays with you for hours/days worrying what could have happened and ultimately that it would have been your fault etc etc.. My guy was acting a bit strange a few months back one morning on our walk - he wouldn't come to me etc and I got a bit annoyed cos I'd be late for work so decided to just put him back on the lead - in hindsight I walked towards guns blazing:rolleyes: and added to him being stressed and he took a few steps away..then a few more..then a few more and ran across the road down into the park :eek::eek:. For anyone who knows glasnevin/drumcondra it was Mobhi road which can be dangerous because cars speed down the hill when the traffic is light... A lorry was coming down the road but thank god saw him and slowed down to let him cross. I felt sick for hours afterwards! :( He had to go to the vets that evening for something and we walked the same way with him on lead and he wouldn't come with me - it wasn't until I got further down the path that I saw all the cones and barriers at the end of the path. He would have seen them when he was up on the hill and didn't want to go near them! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

I usually walk the guys on Portmarnock beach at night, its safe and we've usually the run of the place.

But last night I decided to try a different area, Father Collins Park (D.13).

I never realized it would be so dark, then we'd a storm last night and the noise of the wind turbines all but drowned out my voice - and I lost my dogs!.

I never realized how terrifying it is to lose a dog (or two) so I was on the phone immediately to get some people up to help look for them.

After 30 minutes I was imagining all sorts, from them drowning in the lake to being robbed by the near by caravan'ing community who'd think they were fighting dogs!.. And whatever about Richo the male, Ruby would die of fright.

Anyway, they're safe at home now. And even when I was dropping off to sleep I had flash backs and 'what if's!!.

Back to Portmarnock from here on.

What a nightmare. I think I would lose the plot.

Get yourself a whistle, I have one attached to my keys, when I can't see my pair (usually cos they've disappeared into a ditch) a shrill blast of the whistle brings them straight out to me. It's far better than shouting which gets lost in the wind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

What a nightmare. I think I would lose the plot.

Get yourself a whistle, I have one attached to my keys, when I can't see my pair (usually cos they've disappeared into a ditch) a shrill blast of the whistle brings them straight out to me. It's far better than shouting which gets lost in the wind.

Good idea, usually I use an LED torch which they run to - but a whistle will be got ASAP.

I got my guy a high vis bandana lol (we use a whistle too but he's not allowed off lead for a while yet) - after that post a while back about the dog getting hit in Sutton I got paranoid since we'd doing all our walking when it's dark!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭ppink

I picked up little flashing lights that attached to their collars to stop me freaking out when walking the fields in the dark. One quick scan and you can see all their locations. the whistle is great for getting attention asap though.or a packet of tayto can be heard from a good distance too;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement