Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest thing you've seen stingy people do

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭u_c_thesecond

Last Stephens Night , we all gathered in my friends house for what she promised would be a great session. So we got in out of the snow, and her house was freezing..... asked was heating on she said yes. After checking the rads we copped it wasnt:confused:

So we said "Your rads are not on, and she said "oh its on a timer". So an hour later we were still sitting there in our coats freezing all the while she claiming the heating was on, then she said the sitting room rad was air locked (I had been to the loo twice in the hour and the rads there were freezing too) so someone suggested she light the open fire and she said she had no coal

We live few doors away so my husband went up and brought down two buckets of coal and some blocks .

So fire blazing away and 3am arrived and we went home.

Next morning got a text from the hostess saying "Hi hun, last night you ran out of drink and had 2 cans of bud belonging to me so can you drop the money down for them" :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭Hal Emmerich

^^^That really is miserable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

^^^That really is miserable.

Yeah, robbing 2 cans of bud from your so-called friend.

Doesn't get any more stingy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭alie

In the snow last year, I was coming out of my local shop and this man barged in front to get out the door, as he did he dropped his five cents change in the snow, he actually scrabbled around in it until he found it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭hypermuse

Last Stephens Night , we all gathered in my friends house for what she promised would be a great session. So we got in out of the snow, and her house was freezing..... asked was heating on she said yes. After checking the rads we copped it wasnt:confused:

So we said "Your rads are not on, and she said "oh its on a timer". So an hour later we were still sitting there in our coats freezing all the while she claiming the heating was on, then she said the sitting room rad was air locked (I had been to the loo twice in the hour and the rads there were freezing too) so someone suggested she light the open fire and she said she had no coal

We live few doors away so my husband went up and brought down two buckets of coal and some blocks .

Next morning got a text from the hostess saying "Hi hun, last night you ran out of drink and had 2 cans of bud belonging to me so can you drop the money down for them" :eek:

I see she had the festive spirit in her!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Nearly everyone has a friend like this (including me). What I want to know is why do we keep hanging around with them :confused: Why do we not tell them to just feck off?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭bijapos

emzolita wrote: »
    my choir were hired by a department store in the city to sing outside it for the arrival of Santy etc, and while we were singing, a junkie and a roma-gypsie (both at diff times) came up to the hundred or so people gathered with buckets, saying out loud, they were collecting for us, that it was charity caroling.
    I was bulling. they were getting fivers and tenners thrown in, the brass neck.

Why the fcuk didn't you just do something about it? Tell them to feck off, a kick up the arse or call security or something. But just standing there is a bit sad. Its like ye were asking for it really.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

bijapos wrote: »
    Why the fcuk didn't you just do something about it? Tell them to feck off, a kick up the arse or call security or something. But just standing there is a bit sad. Its like ye were asking for it really.

In all fairness, poster is in a professional choir, didn't have much option outside of standing there singing. I'd assume there was someone else there for that, the story suggests they were shooed off by someone, and realistically how are you going to know what they're up to to do something about it until they actually start taking money?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭emzolita

bijapos wrote: »

Yeah we were being paid to stand behind the pillars and sing. At one stage our boss announced that we weren't collecting money for anything, but she said it 2/3 times, and the junkie would disappear, but because it was a different crowd gathering all the time, sure she was getting money anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

This has to be the winner. Or at least on the podium :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭Sesudra

Myself, my OH, my friend and her fella were all going to a house party and decided to get a taxi from town. My friends fella had a box of 12 bottles of Miller, we had all bought wine because none of us drink beer. We hail the taxi and arrive up at the house, the taxi came to €20. I say "So thats a fiver each,yeah?". Everyone coughs up, except yer man. He goes "Well I bought the beer, ye can all have some of that, I've no money left". Cue a big, embarassing arguement between him and my friend, with him insisting that because he bought beer (which he knows none of us drink) he didn't have to pay for the taxi. I really wish they'd break up :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭I Heart Internet

That's truely amazing.

The mind boggles.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

What an absolutely horrible miserable bitch. No word of a lie, if she were a friend of mine I would never darken her doorstep again and cut off all contact, nobody needs that kind of ungenerous negative influence in their lives.
    Nearly everyone has a friend like this (including me). What I want to know is why do we keep hanging around with them :confused: Why do we not tell them to just feck off?
    I can safely say I dont have any friends who would do that!! If any of my mates started that kind of mizery bollix they'd be told to fook off pretty quick

emzolita wrote: »
    my choir were hired by a department store in the city to sing outside it for the arrival of Santy etc, and while we were singing, a junkie and a roma-gypsie (both at diff times) came up to the hundred or so people gathered with buckets, saying out loud, they were collecting for us, that it was charity caroling.
    I was bulling. they were getting fivers and tenners thrown in, the brass neck.

then, was singin in blanch sc last week and a family of R.gypsies came in and told all the kids to go under the barrier into the crib, and in a matter of seconds, all the kids had fleeced the cribs money, and they were gone. scumbags! :mad:
    How dare you judge or discriminate!! Theft, intimidation and stealing from charities is part of Roma culture! They have rights!! (but no responsibilities) and to suggest they should not thieve, do an honest days work and contribute to society is down right racist!!

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭dcrosskid

At a friends houseparty before and we all stayed the night at his gaf, in the morning his mother cooked a fry for bout 7 of us nothing major. After eating the food he came around with a hat looking for €3 off us all. Thought it was a cheap thing to do and stingy thing to do.

Same lad organises used to organise astro turf last year before we realised he was charging us all an extra euro or two a night on the sly without saying anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

How dare you judge or discriminate!! Theft, intimidation and stealing from charities is part of Roma culture! They have rights!! (but no responsibilities) and to suggest they should not thieve, do an honest days work and contribute to society is down right racist!!
    oh be quiet

• Registered Users Posts: 21 DiscoBiscuits

I was in spain with one of my mate going to the benicassium festival! One of the days of the fest, i forgot to go to the atm and i asked him could he pay for my din dins! Which cost €7, He said yeah no bother, i told him id pay him right after the dinner! He said buy me 2 drinks instead (drink were 3.50 each) Instead i bought him 3 for being a sound man! While we were in a packed crowd watching the strokes, he turns to me and asks for the 2 euro i owe him clamming dinner was €9!!! We were in the middle of watching the F**king Strokes, And there was nothing around us that cost 2! I dont know where he was going with that one!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

dcrosskid wrote: »
    At a friends houseparty before and we all stayed the night at his gaf, in the morning his mother cooked a fry for bout 7 of us nothing major. After eating the food he came around with a hat looking for €3 off us all. Thought it was a cheap thing to do and stingy thing to do.

Same lad organises used to organise astro turf last year before we realised he was charging us all an extra euro or two a night on the sly without saying anything.

And did you get your money back off him? That's the definition of stingy right there.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Was at a large birthday party last year for one half of my extended family, one of whom, let's call her X, is elderly, well-off, and incredibly reluctant to stick her hands in her pockets, at least when it comes to anybody else.

After I did a lot of the organizing, cooked a birthday cake, organized drinks at my place, cooked dinner for almost everybody, had my kids hair styled, ferried people around all weekend, collected some from the airport, got some new clothes for myself, and putting X and hubby up at my place, and after the party, I was told I'd to pay a one-quarter share of the 800 euro bill. X wouldn't give a reason.

Figuring easily enough that X was just trying to get me to pay her share without the knowledge of her brothers + sisters, I waited until we were down the pub with the entire group of perhaps 20 of us, I grabbed a chair down one end of the table, produced two hundred euro, innocently hollered up the other end of the table, "Here's the 200 euro you were looking for my share of the party costs" and asked the entire line of relatives to pass it up the line to X.

Cue thermonuclear levels of embarrassment at the other end when she figured she'd been rumbled, but she took the money anyway. Two days later, she took me aside quietly and told me "After discussing it with everybody else, we've decided to give you your money back." and handed me back the 200 notes.

Ha!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,027 ✭✭✭Ficheall

robindch wrote: »
    ... had my kids hair styled... got some new clothes for myself...

:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭Orando Broom

Ficheall wrote: »
    :confused:

Legitimate expenses for the Jones' neighbour.

oh be quiet

No can do, you cannot silence the truth, the truth shall set you free.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭carfiosaoorl

I was walking by merchants quay in cork a few years ago and there was a homeless guy sitting on the footpath. A man, Im guessing from the simon community gave him a meal in a styrofoam container. The homeless guy put the container down in front of him and started eating and some prick walked over and kicked it up the road and walked off laughing with his friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

I was walking by merchants quay in cork a few years ago and there was a homeless guy sitting on the footpath. A man, Im guessing from the simon community gave him a meal in a styrofoam container. The homeless guy put the container down in front of him and started eating and some prick walked over and kicked it up the road and walked off laughing with his friends.

Thats just a cunt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭Hal Emmerich

Yeah, robbing 2 cans of bud from your so-called friend.

Doesn't get any more stingy.
    I can't tell if this is dumb or sarcastic....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,027 ✭✭✭Ficheall

I can't tell if this is dumb or sarcastic....

Well, at least one of you is being sarcastic. I can't tell if one of you is being dumb.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭Rocky_Dennis

Hearing things like this make my blood boil :mad: What a miserable cnut. What goes around comes around.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭danslevent

My friend is a notorious stinge bag. We went halves on a bottle of vodka because we were going out that night. He invited one of his friends up to pre-drink at mine before going out. When his friend arrived he was after getting a lift and hadn't stopped at an off license. My stingy friend insisted on him sharing the vodka with us, even though I had paid for half, and just told him to go to the off license later. Half way through drinking my stingy friend turned to him and said really fast, "Btw this is for the petrol for the lift to Cork tomorrow as I have no money" which is about a three hour drive from where we are from. So not only did he scam me out of vodka but ripped his friend off as petrol money would've been a lot more than the price of a third of a bottle of (Tesco) vodka. So sneaky.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

On very rare occasions, I'd invite a certain mate of mine along for dinner in my place with a few friends. He was notorious for showing up with a bottle of the cheapest crap imaginable, but would still drink everybody else's better stuff while leaving his stuff untouched. He even tried it on with something from the earlier days of M+S wineshelves one time, a bottle that was so acidic, I couldn't even cook with it afterwards.

Anyhow, one evening a few months after the M+S bottle incident, he and another friend arrived together, and the two of them asked me for a glass of wine. I headed into the kitchen, closed the door and filled the nice friend's glass with the good stuff, and filled Mr Stinge's glass with something out of a rank bottle I'd opened the previous week. As I was filling his one, the door opened and Mr Stinge sauntered in, looked at the two bottles on the worktop, the two glasses of wine with obviously different-colored red wine in each, and said "I suppose you're pouring me out a glass of that cheap-looking stuff?" "Actually, yes I am -- here you go."

Next time he showed up, he arrived with something drinkable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,646 ✭✭✭✭Sauve

All the people filling up their cars with petrol + diesel to save less than a Euro.
    :rolleyes:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement