Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest thing you've seen stingy people do

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭PaulKK

cocoshovel wrote: »
    I know this lad who puts his car into neutral when going down hills "to save petrol". Needless to say everyone thinks he's a gobshite.

Funny thing is that uses more fuel than letting it roll down the hill in gear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

PaulKK wrote: »

Exactly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

PaulKK wrote: »

On newer cars, maybe post late 90's, if this guy really is so scabby, he probably isnt forking out for a new car (ie post late 90's :))
    The point really is its not so safe, well certainly not down hills and on bends,
    I wonder who are these people that think he is a gob****e tho? are they his mates that take a lift off him? :)
    I 'Tested' this in my late 90's car, I would have to do a few tests to get absolute confirmation, but I actually got marginally better mileage from the tank by coasting up to lights than not,but it was purely a test, I wouldnt recommend coasting, particularily down hills and down hills and bends.

On the other hand Im a bit of a scabby hoor myself, I dont put the foot down to get away from lights as its a bloody waste
    poke means petrol :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

The odd time, if the traffic is very heavy down a certain very long but not so steep hill (<2mph, traffic lights at the end) I let the car roll down with the engine switched off, using the hand brake to slow it down.

Saves a fair bit of petrol I'd say cause you could be there half an hour

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

eth0 wrote: »
    The odd time, if the traffic is very heavy down a certain very long but not so steep hill (<2mph, traffic lights at the end) I let the car roll down with the engine switched off, using the hand brake to slow it down.

:eek: I'd do my best to avoid it if possible? what about steering (powered??)
    Stuck in traffic once, I turned off my engine in a car I had years ago (heap of shyte) as it was starting to redline (temperature), it wouldnt bloody start again, that knocked a bit of the scabby out of me :) but really I was concerned my car was gonna start belching steam as it overheated.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

Merch wrote: »
    :eek: I'd do my best to avoid it if possible? what about steering (powered??)
    Stuck in traffic once, I turned off my engine in a car I had years ago (heap of shyte) as it was starting to redline (temperature), it wouldnt bloody start again, that knocked a bit of the scabby out of me :) but really I was concerned my car was gonna start belching steam as it overheated.

No power steering in this car, no sharp bends in this road so wouldn't be a problem if it was.

Hate being stuck in traffic and hearing the fan come on to blast away the heat generated by the engine turning over and wasting my expensive petrol

Just keeping the revs below 2000 saves a shedload of petrol.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,425 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

When I saw this thread title, I immediately thought "Scotland."

No way am I going to check back through 251 pages to see how many other people said that.

When I saw this thread title, I immediately thought "Scotland."

No way am I going to check back through 251 pages to see how many other people said that.

The wee canny Scots, just you try to get them to open their sporren! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭grungepants

My room mate uses paper plates and plastic cutlery instead of having to wash dishes.....not scabby but ye know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭techyjon

I was walking passed my Scottish neighbour Willie's house one day and could see that he was tearing the wallpaper of the wall.

I says to him "Willie are you redecorating?"

"No I'm moving"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭vampire of kilmainham

irishbird wrote: »
    I was working at a music concert last year.

some drunk guy buys a snack box (chips and chicken), he then proceeds to fall asleep at the end of the counter (the beer got the better of him).

Anyway, he is dripping and being sick in to the chicken box. some guy who takes the chicken box and starts eating it, shaking the sick off it first
    thats sick

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭davemc180

when my sisters friend brings his 2 kids to mcdonalds kfc etc..

they have to share a meal.. 1 gets the burger, other the chips, and they have to share the drink..

and the kids are like 15 and 12

edit... also this same bloke came to me sis house round xmas gone, they offer him a drink so he takes a can, says hes driving so only drinks half and puts the can back into the fridge... when asked why are ya putting in the fridge, he said hed drink it next time he came over itd still be fresh!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Susie_Q

Was in a supermarket in India last week and was in a queue at the checkout behind a well-dressed man buying a shedload of stuff, including imported cheeses and meats (very expensive here). His total bill came to about €40 which he had no problem paying but then he threw a fit when the shop assistant told him it would cost 1 rupee per plastic bag. To be clear on this, 1 Indian rupee is €0.014. The guy had a total hissy fit and kept us all waiting in the line for a good ten minutes before he agreed to pay up.

Stingy bastard!

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭bob the bob

I am doing Movember this year solely so I don't have to sponsor every other tosser doing it.

Stingy enough for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭HenryChinaski

Tightness is a disease. I've a mate and I swear, spending even the most nominal sums of money causes him physical pain. His face literally melts whenever the bill comes.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭ICANN

Watch the hunt for Britain's tightest person on 4od- some tight misers on that programme. As HenryChinaski said- tightness is a disease!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭jimthemental

Jesus! You are a danger on the road, what if you need to avoid something, also your breaks will lose pressure as the pump is off. The hand break isn't for slowing the car down, it's for holding it in place. You're probably costing more in wear and tear than you are on petrol you would be burning idling.

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭dingdong1234567

When I was a student we shared a house with CEEAVAN MAN. Any weekend he went home he would take battery out of his bedside clock....tight hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭fran oconnor

No power steering in this car, no sharp bends in this road so wouldn't be a problem if it was.

Hate being stuck in traffic and hearing the fan come on to blast away the heat generated by the engine turning over and wasting my expensive petrol
    Expensive petrol??, its as expensive as bottled water..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

Tightness is a disease. I've a mate and I swear, spending even the most nominal sums of money causes him physical pain. His face literally melts whenever the bill comes.

He might want to see a doctor about that! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Sykk

So we've got an uncle who's been on the dole for the last few years.. He's around 50 but has the attitude of a 21 year old, he has his routine stew for the week and his pints every Thursday night..

He's legendary for missing his rounds. On occasion he's actually said "Just heading to the toilet lads" and he goes home because he doesn't want to fork out..

Anyway my two brothers said they'd head up to him last week for the bit of grub and a few scoops afterwards.. One of them called him when they were at the bus stop..

He said something along the lines of "Wait til you taste this stew.. Your granny gave me the recipie years ago and it's just the nicest stew you'll ever eat!!! Have you got a pen?"

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

working on sunday night doing a bbq for the bank holiday. the pub had a band on and the singer was scottish
    about half 11 i was standing at the bar waiting to be served when the scottish fella comes up and says to the barmaid 'a pint please, and will you give me the 3 for a tenner'
    we only give 3 when matches are on. he wasnt impressed when she told him it would be full price

ive heard about the scots being tight but i saw it first hand on sunday

• Registered Users Posts: 28,896 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

working on sunday night doing a bbq for the bank holiday. the pub had a band on and the singer was scottish
    about half 11 i was standing at the bar waiting to be served when the scottish fella comes up and says to the barmaid 'a pint please, and will you give me the 3 for a tenner'
    we only give 3 when matches are on. he wasnt impressed when she told him it would be full price

ive heard about the scots being tight but i saw it first hand on sunday

The pub wouldn't give the singer in the band playing in there pub a reduced rate on a few pints.

I always thought that bands drank for free when playing. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Doubs

Going back a good few years to my early teens, I used to live on a council estate and every day after school we'd all descend on the basketball court for a game of soccer (as you do). The games would usually be about 15 a side depending on who turned up, across all ages, and we all got on fairly well. Anyway, we're playing away one day and after a while a few of us pick up that one of the lads is running around with a bit of a limp and keps going to his pocket for something. Got found out eventually obviously - turns out he had a packet of crisps in his pocket, and didn't want to share them for fear he'd have none left by the time everyone had got at them. A fair shout probably, but a lot of us still laugh about it to this day :)

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭livinonaprayer

Those folk that walk past homeless people and refuse to give them money "in case they just drink it" before hitting tesco to buy two bottles of wine...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭axel rose

Cool. In that case I'm as stingy as Fvck! (Thanks for giving us professional beggers BTW :rolleyes: )

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 687 ✭✭✭headmaster

I spotted tea bags and toilet paper on the neighbours cloths line the other day. I know things are bad, but this is really the pits

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭davemc180

headmaster wrote: »
    I spotted tea bags and toilet paper on the neighbours cloths line the other day. I know things are bad, but this is really the pits

pics or gtfo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

headmaster wrote: »

Bollocks.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement