Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest thing you've seen stingy people do

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,142 ✭✭✭✭Esel

headmaster wrote: »
    I spotted tea bags and toilet paper on the neighbours cloths line the other day. I know things are bad, but this is really the pits
    No, your spelling/grammar is the pits - same as your sense of 'humour'.

Not your ornery onager

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

headmaster wrote: »
    I spotted tea bags and toilet paper on the neighbours cloths line the other day. I know things are bad, but this is really the pits
    admit it you were looking to nick them

reusing primary school jokes ?

in other news there was a Indian guy who managed to get 500 cups of tea out of one tea bag

• Registered Users Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭YouTookMyName

I know a woman thats vegetarian because it's cheaper than buying meat.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,501 ✭✭✭bb1234567

well im kind of cheap and im only 15,i hate spending money:D when i go to the cinema in dundrum town centre with my friendsi refuse to pay such ridiculous prices for food and beverage thats not even that great:eek:a tickets already 8 euro and an9other euro for 3d glasses, so while my non cheap friends proceed to waste money on super expensive food i race up to tescos on the top floor to buy cheap food, manhattan popcron 60 c ,coke 99c and bag of sweets 45c could cost me less than 2.50, while in the cinema people pay for popcorn 5.50,drink,3.50,bag of sweets,3.50,and then cinema ticket of around 9 euro. so whie my friends pay nearly 22 euro i happily pay around 12 :)

another cheap thing i do is collect bronze change. if i see a 1c,2,c,5c and also 10c on street,in house,anywhere i keep it and i save them up in a box in my bedroom. ive already saved up 40 euro in bronze change and i one day hope to save up enough bronze change to bring to the bank and have them convert the chnage into something like 500 euro note:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭nitromaster

bb1234567 wrote: »
    well im kind of cheap and im only 15, i'll be like ebeneezer scrooge when im older probably,i hate spending money:D when i go to the cinema in dundrum town centre with my friendsi refuse to pay such ridiculous prices for food and beverage thats not even that great:eek:a tickets already 8 euro and an9other euro for 3d glasses, so while my non cheap friends proceed to waste money on super expensive food i race up to tescos on the top floor to buy cheap food, manhattan popcron 60 c ,coke 99c and bag of sweets 45c could cost me less than 2.50, while in the cinema people pay for popcorn 5.50,drink,3.50,bag of sweets,3.50,and then cinema ticket of around 9 euro. so whie my friends pay nearly 22 euro i happily pay around 12 :)

That's what anyone with half a brain does.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,501 ✭✭✭bb1234567

That's what anyone with half a brain does.....

not at all,youd be surprised how many people buy food there,when im there the queues for food are always ridiculously long:eek:, how do you think the cinema makes so much money:P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

not at all,youd be surprised how many people buy food there,when im there the queues for food are always ridiculously long:eek:, how do you think the cinema makes so much money:P

They would be the people with less than half a brain I'd assume...

Then again, you're very young, you shouldn't be aware of a time before the celtic tiger really took hold, nobody used to pay for cinema refreshments, nobody paid for anything actually, scabby cnuts...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,919 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

They would be the people with less than half a brain I'd assume...

Then again, you're very young, you shouldn't be aware of a time before the celtic tiger really took hold, nobody used to pay for cinema refreshments, nobody paid for anything actually, scabby cnuts...

Too true, old cinema in janelle shopping centre in finglas, seem jusaric park there when it first came out!
    bottle of cadel cola, crisps, 1p jellies and a macaroon bar, those were the days :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

Does cadet cola still exist? That was dire. There you go bb1234567, your 99c coca cola would have been posh in the 90s :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭vektarman

well im kind of cheap and im only 15,i hate spending money:D when i go to the cinema in dundrum town centre with my friendsi refuse to pay such ridiculous prices for food and beverage thats not even that great:eek:a tickets already 8 euro and an9other euro for 3d glasses, so while my non cheap friends proceed to waste money on super expensive food i race up to tescos on the top floor to buy cheap food, manhattan popcron 60 c ,coke 99c and bag of sweets 45c could cost me less than 2.50, while in the cinema people pay for popcorn 5.50,drink,3.50,bag of sweets,3.50,and then cinema ticket of around 9 euro. so whie my friends pay nearly 22 euro i happily pay around 12 :)

another cheap thing i do is collect bronze change. if i see a 1c,2,c,5c and also 10c on street,in house,anywhere i keep it and i save them up in a box in my bedroom. ive already saved up 40 euro in bronze change and i one day hope to save up enough bronze change to bring to the bank and have them convert the chnage into something like 500 euro note:D
    I wouldn't call any of that cheap, I'd call that sensible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Skuxx

Was in Lidl today and the woman in the q ahead of me had a box of tea bags in her hand which she was wanting to return! She wasn't buying anything! The guy at the till asked her why she was returning them and she said they were the wrong ones! Guy told her because the wrapper was open they couldn't be returned! She then pleaded saying she had driven 25minutes to return them and it was a disgrace he wouldn't help her! I don't know the price of them but can't imagine it being more then 3 or 4 euro!! If they're the wrong ones just fu*k them out you stingy bitch!!

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭Degringola

She'd have spent more on petrol going back and forth specially!

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭jomc

gave an old flatmate of mine an easter egg one year for easter, he nearly fell to the floor in tears. Turns out he had never received an easter egg, his father said they were a waste of money and got his mother to tie up two or three mars bars/crunchies/etc with an elastic band instead!

warning - gross story ahead. used to live with a drunken b!tch who never bought food or household supplies and ate everyone elses (lying about it constantly)! Had the lads over one night watching the match and got in a few pizzas. She came into the room heaps a few slices of pizza on her plate and goes to leave without any mention of can i?, or heres a few quid. One of the lads says to her, are you not gonna pay for that-her answer: no, and you better get in more loo roll because its my time of the month and im not forking out for tampons!!!

she was working in bt, was horrified she was such a scummer

• Registered Users Posts: 5,551 ✭✭✭veryangryman

jomc wrote: »
    gave an old flatmate of mine an easter egg one year for easter, he nearly fell to the floor in tears. Turns out he had never received an easter egg, his father said they were a waste of money and got his mother to tie up two or three mars bars/crunchies/etc with an elastic band instead!

warning - gross story ahead. used to live with a drunken b!tch who never bought food or household supplies and ate everyone elses (lying about it constantly)! Had the lads over one night watching the match and got in a few pizzas. She came into the room heaps a few slices of pizza on her plate and goes to leave without any mention of can i?, or heres a few quid. One of the lads says to her, are you not gonna pay for that-her answer: no, and you better get in more loo roll because its my time of the month and im not forking out for tampons!!!

Mank! The working in BT bit i mean

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭jomc

Mank! The working in BT bit i mean

all mank. remember that the next time you see a hot burd in bts.

the lads couldn't come near my place again after that

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Those folk that walk past homeless people and refuse to give them money "in case they just drink it" before hitting tesco to buy two bottles of wine...

What's wrong with that:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭emzolita

when I was going out with an ex a few years ago, i asked him to get me a bottle of coke on his way down to my house, he did (never thought much of it)

Then three days later we were in the cinema, he paid for the tickets and I was gonna pay for the food, but what ever food we bought came to 1.50 more than the tickets (I still never copped any difference) and he turns around to me, obviously troubled by this, "well you owe me 1.50 for that bottle of Coke the other day anyway, so it works out even!"

I never felt so unattracted to someone in my life. stingy fecker!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭nicechick!

jomc wrote: »

OMG that is disgusting!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭Savage Tyrant

emzolita wrote: »
    when I was going out with an ex a few years ago, i asked him to get me a bottle of coke on his way down to my house, he did (never thought much of it)

Then three days later we were in the cinema, he paid for the tickets and I was gonna pay for the food, but what ever food we bought came to 1.50 more than the tickets (I still never copped any difference) and he turns around to me, obviously troubled by this, "well you owe me 1.50 for that bottle of Coke the other day anyway, so it works out even!"

Could have been worse. Had he been really stingy, he could have pointed out that the coke from the previous day was for your consumtion, whereas the 1.50 extra you spent was for combined munchies you both would partake in. therefore he only really needed to offset 75 cent.

You still owe that gentleman 75 cent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭vtec_vixen

I know a woman who would offer you tea if you were ever in her house but would use the same teabag for everyones tea.. Mangy yoke lol :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

vtec_vixen wrote: »
    I know a woman who would offer you tea if you were ever in her house but would use the same teabag for everyones tea.. Mangy yoke lol :pac:

This used to be normal until the Tiger.

In many countries where they don't drink tea as strong as they do here and without milk most tea comes out of a teapot with only 1 bag for 4 people

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭Robdude

emzolita wrote: »

I wouldn't hold that against him.

If he was really stingy he'd have 'forgot' your bottle of coke. He might have only mentioned the 1.50 because he saw that you'd paid more than him and freaked out because he knows that some people (particularly girls) can be extra weird about money.

eth0 wrote: »
    This used to be normal until the Tiger.

In many countries where they don't drink tea as strong as they do here and without milk most tea comes out of a teapot with only 1 bag for 4 people
    I think that you're still supposed to get 2 cups out of one teabag in a teapot, leave it too long and one mug full is so strong, the spoon stands up!

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭TheBrinch

Wow some of these stories are ridiculous! i got one for you!

One time me and a mate were going to the cinema, he spent about 30 mins trying to convince me to drive seen as i had f**k all petrol.
    so i agreed after he said he would chip in a few quid and i could stop for petrol on the way. So we get to the petrol station and he says he has no change only notes.....annoyed i said id do without any food at the cinema.

So we get to the cinema and he goes and gets a large empty cup and then drags me up to tesco to get a bottle of coke. He gets tesco brand diet coke which was 29c at the time. And he has the nerve to ask me to split it because i dont have enough for the proper stuff seen as i bought the petrol alone...... :mad: but we get to the cash register and he pulls out a pocket full of coins with a good 6 euro!

He then proceeds to tell me he doesnt have enough to buy a cinema ticket and says he wants to go home. BUT!! i had seen the 50 euro note he had in his wallet earlier when we were leaving his house (He also mentioned it at the petrol station).

So i drew the line and i start yelling at the pri<k saying i know he has it and whatnot! He tells me he is not breaking a 50 to buy a cinema ticket!?!? :eek:

So after a good amount of arguing eventually we end up going to the movie.

Now we leave and he wouldnt split the 2 euro parking ticket.... So i asked him to about 40 cent as i didnt have enough. He reluctantly gives it to me after he told me he would rather get the bus (which is more expensive!)

So we get home and i drive him to his house but he wouldnt leave! He said he has to come round to mine to get the 40 cent i now owed him. :mad:

Long story short: My mate is a right C*NT!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭myflipflops

TheBrinch wrote: »

Neither of you come across very well in that story to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭BunShopVoyeur

One time me and a mate were going to the cinema, he spent about 30 mins trying to convince me to drive seen as i had f**k all petrol.
    so i agreed after he said he would chip in a few quid and i could stop for petrol on the way. So we get to the petrol station and he says he has no change only notes.....annoyed i said id do without any food at the cinema.

So we get to the cinema and he goes and gets a large empty cup and then drags me up to tesco to get a bottle of coke. He gets tesco brand diet coke which was 29c at the time. And he has the nerve to ask me to split it because i dont have enough for the proper stuff seen as i bought the petrol alone...... :mad: but we get to the cash register and he pulls out a pocket full of coins with a good 6 euro!

He then proceeds to tell me he doesnt have enough to buy a cinema ticket and says he wants to go home. BUT!! i had seen the 50 euro note he had in his wallet earlier when we were leaving his house (He also mentioned it at the petrol station).

So i drew the line and i start yelling at the pri<k saying i know he has it and whatnot! He tells me he is not breaking a 50 to buy a cinema ticket!?!? :eek:

Now we leave and he wouldnt split the 2 euro parking ticket.... So i asked him to about 40 cent as i didnt have enough. He reluctantly gives it to me after he told me he would rather get the bus (which is more expensive!)

So we get home and i drive him to his house but he wouldnt leave! He said he has to come round to mine to get the 40 cent i now owed him. :mad:

That lad sounds like a pr*ck more than anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭TheBrinch

That lad sounds like a pr*ck more than anything.

You have no idea...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

Quazzie wrote: »
    The pub wouldn't give the singer in the band playing in there pub a reduced rate on a few pints.

I always thought that bands drank for free when playing. :confused:
    Had this experience when playing a bar the other week. The bar was full, definitely would have been **** all people there if we weren't playing. And still they wouldn't give us any free drink (which I might add was promised beforehand).
    That's not just stingy. It's downright ****ing rude, imo.
    Oh and the **** still hasn't sorted us with pay :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

I think you're as bad as your so called mate :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 935 ✭✭✭samsemtex

My current house mate is one of the stingiest humans i have ever met. She is a 55+ year old teacher who lives in Vancouver during the week but bought a flat in Whistler which she clearly cannot afford. She rents out the main room (to me) and sleeps on the pull out bed herself. (kinda defeats the purpose of owning your own place really especially since she works here too). Every weekend she gets here by hitch hiking every single time because she wont buy the bus ticket which is about $18 each way. And because she stays until monday morning this means her leaving here at 5am and standing on the side of the road waiting for a ride. This a woman who is almost 60!

She wont accept calls on her mobile as it costs her so she gets people to call her house phone instead. She told me to stop texting her once because she was in the US and was getting charged 12c to receive a text message on her roaming package.

She goes to Starbucks and brings her own teabags and uses their hot water but doesnt buy anything. She continually reminds me to turn the heating off when im not there as her budget will only allow it to be on 8 hours a day.

She walks for an hour into the village to avoid paying a $2.50 bus fair.

The list is endless really.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement