Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Beef AI/Bulls MEGATHREAD

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

limo_100 wrote: »
    . have not used lgl yet but i intend to id say hes similar to kib

He aint

would KIB be a better bull in your opinion?... Seen some great calves after bosco but haven't seen any lgl yet to compare to

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

how could anyone no until there someting on the ground....
    and also jus compared him to kib and the stats are very similar..

I can't speak for anyone only myself but if I stood in a field with those two bulls in front of me I'd surely be able to compare them.
    In relation to the stats: I could easily find a CH bull with set of figures to match closely a Lim or a BB or Sim but needless to say they will all breed differently:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭limo_100

Bizzum wrote: »
    how could anyone no until there someting on the ground....
    and also jus compared him to kib and the stats are very similar..

I can't speak for anyone only myself but if I stood in a field with those two bulls in front of me I'd surely be able to compare them.
    In relation to the stats: I could easily find a CH bull with set of figures to match closely a Lim or a BB or Sim but needless to say they will all breed differently:)
    Buts that's my point we can't say he's a bad bull until we see his offspring and I'm not saying he's better or worse than kib but in terms of stuture their similar there both smallish bulls with loads of muscle. I've used kib and he's a great one he's at his best crossed with taller cows. So there only one way to find out how good lgl is and that's to use him

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Dhousehold

i have a very good heifer for the bull but i do not no what bull to give her any advice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,078 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

what breed is the heifer and what breed(s) are you thinking of using?

what age do you sell at?

she is a 96 percent LM very good big heifer

and do you want to use another limo?

OZS, HCA or PAM

Dhousehold wrote: »
    I have a big black (plain Limousin Cow - no muscle) in calf to DEP, will she calf of will it be a C-Section. I also have a small BB ex Fresian Cow in calf to IDB and a mussly black Limousin in calf to IDB. Will they calf or will it be a C-Section. I have a PB Charalois in calf to STQ and a BB ex Fresian in calf of GIGA. Cows are on a diet of hay for 6 weeks and Pre-Calving licks, due from now on. Any advice on using the above named bulls would be very helpfull.

said it let ya no that cow calved to dep today calved herself. nice blue bull calf hes very thick.

Is there straws still to be got from this sire or have they been reserved for pedigree use !?

• Advertisement

said it let ya no that cow calved to dep today calved herself. nice blue bull calf hes very thick.

Great stuff!
    I'd be interested to know how the 2 BB cows carrying to the BB go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 609 ✭✭✭flatout11

I hear progressive have bought a new french charo bull with melliard bloodlines supposed to be coming out in the spring

Bodacious wrote: »
    Is there straws still to be got from this sire or have they been reserved for pedigree use !?

unless you know an AI man with straws in his pot you're out of luck. all gone for pedigree or otherwise.

flatout11 wrote: »
    I hear progressive have bought a new french charo bull with melliard bloodlines supposed to be coming out in the spring

You have your ear to the ground Flatout!!

how many days did she bring

unless you know an AI man with straws in his pot you're out of luck. all gone for pedigree or otherwise.

Thanks bogman,

Ive kept a nice square black heifer out of him this year and she is streets ahead of an EDJ yearling from same red cow previous year so id definitely use him again if available but my ai man assured me that i got his last straw last year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

BYU

The new bull AZL, was sired by BYU. Photos of calves by him up on the Livestock Photo thread.

Dhousehold wrote: »
    how many days did she bring

9 or 10 days pretty happy with him so far

pakalasa wrote: »
    BYU

The new bull AZL, was sired by BYU. Photos of calves by him up on the Livestock Photo thread.

Cheers Pak,

They are nice calves, nice colour middle calf he got from a HR heifer. Yeah ive used him instead as he has height/growth, calves not due until april though... cant stand some of the butts of blues that you see about.. would prefer a plain char than a stumpy blue

How about VAP? easy calved and will give a bit of size.

Anyone any info on Ross A (RSA) the BB bull? Anyone got any calves off him?

• Advertisement

so what will that offer to us? whats he going to bring to the mix or is it wait and see..:)

so what will that offer to us? whats he going to bring to the mix or is it wait and see..:)

Rumour has it that he is homogeneous for the sexed semen gene;)

Bizzum wrote: »
    Rumour has it that he is homogeneous for the sexed semen gene;)

not so bad were all in for a bull rush so ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭BelgianBlue13

Hello,
    I have an average sized charolais heifer with extreme muscle,shape and width.
    She is the best animal we ever had on this farm.
    The thing is i want a show calf out of her but it would be a shame to see her not go back in calf if I used a hard calving Bull.
    She is a second calver.
    She is a show quality animal,but we just didnt bother,we thought we would get showcalf's out of her.
    P.S.
    Bulls on Progressive Genetics
    Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

Hello,
    I have an average sized charolais heifer with extreme muscle,shape and width.
    She is the best animal we ever had on this farm.
    The thing is i want a show calf out of her but it would be a shame to see her not go back in calf if I used a hard calving Bull.
    She is a second calver.
    She is a show quality animal,but we just didnt bother,we thought we would get showcalf's out of her.
    P.S.
    Bulls on Progressive Genetics
    Thanks

A second calver heifer - I've never seen the likes ;)

What breed of calf do you want from her?

What's her breeding?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

reilig wrote: »
    A second calver heifer - I've never seen the likes ;)

Immaculate Conception:D

Haha Sorry, a COW!
    She is a charolais,She had a good first calf.
    Id settle for charolais,belgian blue or limousin.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭betsie

Haha Sorry, a COW!
    She is a charolais,She had a good first calf.
    Id settle for charolais,belgian blue or limousin.

I wouldnt bo for a BB if she is very muscly, could be asking for trouble.

betsie wrote: »
    I wouldnt bo for a BB if she is very muscly, could be asking for trouble.
    Ye i know.

BYU

not a patch on his sire BYU unfortunately

• Advertisement

feck all me thinks but i hope im wrong..........
    but what have any of the pg charo bulls left (excluding the ones inherited from the original Sligo ai), MDO and HWN were ok bulls (but thats going back a bit), Cf 85 showed promise (short career) pxu was mixed ........ and as for the other multitude of sires they have had......... nothing really jumping out at me - maybe im missed the real good one :rolleyes:

but what have any of the pg charo bulls left (excluding the ones inherited from the original Sligo ai), MDO and HWN were ok bulls (but thats going back a bit), Cf 85 showed promise (short career) pxu was mixed ........ and as for the other multitude of sires they have had......... nothing really jumping out at me - maybe im missed the real good one :rolleyes:

i no they have not had a good bull that really excelled since cf52. i liked cottage got some great calves dis year form him he brought some serious muscle but now hes gone to. (ps i no hes had his critics on here but i cant fault him all calved unassisted). and iv one more to come round the middle of jan so we'll see. Iv started using icar now but hes not theres.

i no they have not had a good bull that really excelled since cf52. i liked cottage got some great calves dis year form him he brought some serious muscle but now hes gone to. (ps i no hes had his critics on here but i cant fault him all calved unassisted). and iv one more to come round the middle of jan so we'll see. Iv started using icar now but hes not theres.
    i dunno they have spent enough over the past few years they might want to give the cheque book to a different person next time!

did cottage Devon get the deadener in the IBR cull? big loss Didn't they give savage money for him?!

did cottage Devon get the deadener in the IBR cull? big loss Didn't they give savage money for him?!

i'm afraid he bit the bullet aswell.... they gave 20000 for him but im sure he woz wel insured ;) did ya use him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

have asked my ai man 5 or 6 times for a list of my straws that are in his flask :confused: feck sake wouldnt kill him to look- part of the reason i dont use alot of ai is the ai man

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,290 ✭✭✭tanko

whelan1 wrote: »
    have asked my ai man 5 or 6 times for a list of my straws that are in his flask :confused: feck sake wouldnt kill him to look- part of the reason i dont use alot of ai is the ai man

Maybe you should consider doing DIY ai? You could ai them when it suits urself to do them. Also, you can have the straws you need ready in your own flask ready to use and even build up a supply of straws from a popular bull which you mightn't be able to get in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 kilmac11

Sorry lads slightly off topic here but when body condition scoring cattle what is measured: the hind the rind and?? We had a saying in school to help learn it off. Cheers.

kilmac11 wrote: »
    Sorry lads slightly off topic here but when body condition scoring cattle what is measured: the hind the rind and?? We had a saying in school to help learn it off. Cheers.

loin, rib and tailhead

• Advertisement

dovea bull video... I would definitely like to use that kilmoney Bruce KCE

Check out this video on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQloUVTBNW0&feature=youtube_gdata_

tis good to see that they are adding videos of them, the belgian ai companys used to do it ,
    yea the blonde looks good on it, i was dissappionted with the charo though

Dovea Bulls -
    BBQ looks the job, doesn't he? A lot of muscle for an easy calving Belgian Blue

tis good to see that they are adding videos of them, the belgian ai companys used to do it ,
    yea the blonde looks good on it, i was dissappionted with the charo though

yeah it's nice touch to see them from different angle , them moving etc

the other picture I saw of KCE he wasn't shaved and looked fierce fancy, he has some muscle though... Just thought in other picture he looked taller or maybe yer man in video is 6 ft 8" !!

Dovea Bulls -
    BBQ looks the job, doesn't he? A lot of muscle for an easy calving Belgian Blue

I thought that Pak, he is as wide as a truck behind him!! I can't get dovea but he is a right lump of a bull

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭Figerty

Was at the mart today.. Got good prices. One major plus was a few farmers bought from me specifically because they know the cows are AI bred and their calves are from an AI bull.

I don't have enough cattle to run a bull. It does mean I have a big spread in calving dates which is the down side.

The best one a 400kg, 11 month old, weanling bull made €1100. While an ok black CHX heifer at 240 kg made €645. She was too smart for her own good at opening gates and ducking under the electric fence to stay! I kept the two best heifers for breeding over the last few years and it's begining to pay off.

The AI bull was ODI in the main. Doesn't have to be a spectacular animal; just a good make with potential for growth. I'm not in to big pulls and broken calving jacks!

• Advertisement

I thought that Pak, he is as wide as a truck behind him!! I can't get dovea but he is a right lump of a bull

Ya, I use Munster Ai, myself. It would be great to see a video of the bulls they have. You can see alot in those videos. That BBQ is a great walker too, for such a heavily muscled bull.

Ya, I use Munster Ai, myself. It would be great to see a video of the bulls they have. You can see alot in those videos. That BBQ is a great walker too, for such a heavily muscled bull.

is it me or was the Angus particularly big bull too! And wasn't the other unusually marked blue very tall growthy lookin blue

I can't get dovea but he is a right lump of a bull

Great link! I didn't think such a thing existed.
    I'm impressed too by a couple of them. We don't really use Dovea either (although a technician lives very locally). However, I have bought straws off them. If you like a bull why not order a few straws and have your own AI man carry them?

that angus is a cracker alright. The blonde is impressive though he must be a bit giddy if they have to use the staff to put manners on him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 160 ✭✭Pat the lad

is it me or was the Angus particularly big bull too! And wasn't the other unusually marked blue very tall growthy lookin blue[/Quote]

Ringfort Cormac is the unusually marked bb bull. nice animal. thought bb HDX looked goog too.
    I didn't recognise bruce since he got the hair shaved!!!!!!!!!!
    great idea, hope more ai companies follow suit- good to get a look at a bull in motion etc. can be hard to judge by posed pictures in catalogues etc!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement