Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Beef AI/Bulls MEGATHREAD

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭flatout11

I hear progressive have bought a new french charo bull with melliard bloodlines supposed to be coming out in the spring

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

Bodacious wrote: »
    Is there straws still to be got from this sire or have they been reserved for pedigree use !?

unless you know an AI man with straws in his pot you're out of luck. all gone for pedigree or otherwise.

flatout11 wrote: »
    I hear progressive have bought a new french charo bull with melliard bloodlines supposed to be coming out in the spring

You have your ear to the ground Flatout!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Dhousehold

how many days did she bring

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

unless you know an AI man with straws in his pot you're out of luck. all gone for pedigree or otherwise.

Thanks bogman,

Ive kept a nice square black heifer out of him this year and she is streets ahead of an EDJ yearling from same red cow previous year so id definitely use him again if available but my ai man assured me that i got his last straw last year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

BYU
    Is there straws still to be got from this sire or have they been reserved for pedigree use !?

The new bull AZL, was sired by BYU. Photos of calves by him up on the Livestock Photo thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭limo_100

Dhousehold wrote: »
    how many days did she bring

9 or 10 days pretty happy with him so far

pakalasa wrote: »
    BYU

The new bull AZL, was sired by BYU. Photos of calves by him up on the Livestock Photo thread.

Cheers Pak,

They are nice calves, nice colour middle calf he got from a HR heifer. Yeah ive used him instead as he has height/growth, calves not due until april though... cant stand some of the butts of blues that you see about.. would prefer a plain char than a stumpy blue

How about VAP? easy calved and will give a bit of size.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

Anyone any info on Ross A (RSA) the BB bull? Anyone got any calves off him?

• Advertisement

so what will that offer to us? whats he going to bring to the mix or is it wait and see..:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

limo_100 wrote: »
    so what will that offer to us? whats he going to bring to the mix or is it wait and see..:)

Rumour has it that he is homogeneous for the sexed semen gene;)

Bizzum wrote: »
    Rumour has it that he is homogeneous for the sexed semen gene;)

not so bad were all in for a bull rush so ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭BelgianBlue13

Hello,
    I have an average sized charolais heifer with extreme muscle,shape and width.
    She is the best animal we ever had on this farm.
    The thing is i want a show calf out of her but it would be a shame to see her not go back in calf if I used a hard calving Bull.
    She is a second calver.
    She is a show quality animal,but we just didnt bother,we thought we would get showcalf's out of her.
    P.S.
    Bulls on Progressive Genetics
    Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

Hello,
    I have an average sized charolais heifer with extreme muscle,shape and width.
    She is the best animal we ever had on this farm.
    The thing is i want a show calf out of her but it would be a shame to see her not go back in calf if I used a hard calving Bull.
    She is a second calver.
    She is a show quality animal,but we just didnt bother,we thought we would get showcalf's out of her.
    P.S.
    Bulls on Progressive Genetics
    Thanks

A second calver heifer - I've never seen the likes ;)

What breed of calf do you want from her?

What's her breeding?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

reilig wrote: »
    A second calver heifer - I've never seen the likes ;)

Immaculate Conception:D

Haha Sorry, a COW!
    She is a charolais,She had a good first calf.
    Id settle for charolais,belgian blue or limousin.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭betsie

Haha Sorry, a COW!
    She is a charolais,She had a good first calf.
    Id settle for charolais,belgian blue or limousin.

I wouldnt bo for a BB if she is very muscly, could be asking for trouble.

betsie wrote: »
    I wouldnt bo for a BB if she is very muscly, could be asking for trouble.
    Ye i know.

pakalasa wrote: »
    BYU

not a patch on his sire BYU unfortunately

• Advertisement

feck all me thinks but i hope im wrong..........
    but what have any of the pg charo bulls left (excluding the ones inherited from the original Sligo ai), MDO and HWN were ok bulls (but thats going back a bit), Cf 85 showed promise (short career) pxu was mixed ........ and as for the other multitude of sires they have had......... nothing really jumping out at me - maybe im missed the real good one :rolleyes:

but what have any of the pg charo bulls left (excluding the ones inherited from the original Sligo ai), MDO and HWN were ok bulls (but thats going back a bit), Cf 85 showed promise (short career) pxu was mixed ........ and as for the other multitude of sires they have had......... nothing really jumping out at me - maybe im missed the real good one :rolleyes:

i no they have not had a good bull that really excelled since cf52. i liked cottage got some great calves dis year form him he brought some serious muscle but now hes gone to. (ps i no hes had his critics on here but i cant fault him all calved unassisted). and iv one more to come round the middle of jan so we'll see. Iv started using icar now but hes not theres.

i no they have not had a good bull that really excelled since cf52. i liked cottage got some great calves dis year form him he brought some serious muscle but now hes gone to. (ps i no hes had his critics on here but i cant fault him all calved unassisted). and iv one more to come round the middle of jan so we'll see. Iv started using icar now but hes not theres.
    i dunno they have spent enough over the past few years they might want to give the cheque book to a different person next time!

did cottage Devon get the deadener in the IBR cull? big loss Didn't they give savage money for him?!

did cottage Devon get the deadener in the IBR cull? big loss Didn't they give savage money for him?!

i'm afraid he bit the bullet aswell.... they gave 20000 for him but im sure he woz wel insured ;) did ya use him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

have asked my ai man 5 or 6 times for a list of my straws that are in his flask :confused: feck sake wouldnt kill him to look- part of the reason i dont use alot of ai is the ai man

• Registered Users Posts: 9,199 ✭✭✭tanko

whelan1 wrote: »
    have asked my ai man 5 or 6 times for a list of my straws that are in his flask :confused: feck sake wouldnt kill him to look- part of the reason i dont use alot of ai is the ai man

Maybe you should consider doing DIY ai? You could ai them when it suits urself to do them. Also, you can have the straws you need ready in your own flask ready to use and even build up a supply of straws from a popular bull which you mightn't be able to get in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 kilmac11

Sorry lads slightly off topic here but when body condition scoring cattle what is measured: the hind the rind and?? We had a saying in school to help learn it off. Cheers.

kilmac11 wrote: »
    Sorry lads slightly off topic here but when body condition scoring cattle what is measured: the hind the rind and?? We had a saying in school to help learn it off. Cheers.

loin, rib and tailhead

• Advertisement

dovea bull video... I would definitely like to use that kilmoney Bruce KCE

Check out this video on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQloUVTBNW0&feature=youtube_gdata_

Advertisement