Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Depression

1181920212224»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

A healthy diet is very important for overall health, but I'm not aware of any conclusive evidence supporting the notion that depression is treatable/curable with a particular diet.

Just to clarify for anyone who may misinterpret that website.

The only thing i have seen is that supplementary zinc can have a positive effect for females, but not for males but even that study mentioned the lack of evidence for cause/effect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭guitarzero

The fact that depression seems to remain as something that science is still in the dark about, I wouldnt back any diet or regime as a certified solution. All I do is check out what's being encouraged, allow myself to discern and give it a go, or not.

I think on the balance, its probably better to make a change in terms of healthy eating as you cant lose but possibly win.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭Deus Ex Machina

I avoid antidepressants because I believe that depression and anxiety are part of who I am, they are part of my experience of the human condition. It seems wrong and somehow shortsighted to select a particular set of emotions, deem them negative and then take medication to attenuate or removed them.

Some of my moments of sadness seem to be based on an honest assessment of the facts of life. I dwell on these things because they are part of the world and part of the creative process. I know these thoughts wont result in happiness at that moment, but they are rewarding in some way. I like the way I look at the world, and the way this perspective influences me. Without this sadness I wouldn't be able to hold my view as it is.

Other times I feel as if I have no control of my emotions. On these occasions depression descends on me without warning, as if emanating from some external source. It is like watching a storm approaching on the horizon. I can see it coming, I know it will hit me, but I can't stop it. It is this which I consider to be real depression. I am not in it's grasp at this moment, but it could come any second. Even still, I don't want to stop it. I am happy with so much of what I am and I can't help but think it I wouldn't be as I am today if it weren't for depression.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

paddythere wrote: »
    im pretty sure i have it. i feel unbelievably sad some days for no reason and wont leave the house or talk to anyone. i am not overweight and am only 22 but i dont want my family to know about and im sure that they do not suspect it despite how it sounds
    paddy, have you spoken to anyone about this? Whether it's a friend, family member, your GP or one of the helplines, it's a very important first step.

Deus Ex, not sure if you saw the Irish Times article by Headstrong founder Tony Bates the other day but one part that really jumped out to me was:
    mental health has everything to do with having a positive sense of who we are and feeling confident enough to be who we really are with others.

Problems can start to develop when a gap between who we really are and who we feel we should be gets too wide, and when we find ourselves working hard to cover up our flaws and win the approval and acceptance of others.

For some people, it works the way you described above and, for whatever reason, they don't want to leave behind the person they've become. But there was certainly a 'you' at some point that wasn't depressed and there's no reason to think you were any less creative or wise or whatever at that stage. Depression and mental illness are sometimes glamourised by their links to Van Gogh, Stephen Fry, etc. etc. but if you think it's an issue for you, I'd urge you to get support. Creativity comes from your understanding of things and while you might change, it doesn't have to be a bad change. EDIT: Just to add that seeing an episode coming makes it more preventable straight away. It's much harder to stop something you don't know is coming and it's a good sign that you spot early warning signs. Use that information and give yourself the best chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 245 ✭✭gandhi123

This went viral today... personally i found myself with a big lump in my throat..
    a weird sense of guilty came over me..:(:(

This kid has bigger cojones then i ever will..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

I'm locking this one now and I've moved the last couple of posts to the more current, active thread on depression.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement