Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The "Today I did something to my car" thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭vectra

sean1141 wrote: »
    we put glass in metal frames we made up before with silicone to hold the glass in place and its still perfect :confused: no rust on it

thats what seat done with any that went back under warentee. they just put silicone all around them..

is the kit you got rubber or sort of foam?

It is like a sort of Butyl
    Putty that squeezes to create a seal.

On the Silicon topic.
    There are several types
    I think it is the interior stuff ( the nasty smelling stuff ) that causes rust.
    The exterior stuff is ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,088 ✭✭✭sean1141

it was exterior stuff i used! i heard there was a rubber typy seal that replaced the crap foam stuff seat used. maybe its not factory stuff just something someone found. i hope this has the job done on it. its the second time in trying!

sean1141 wrote: »
    it was exterior stuff i used! i heard there was a rubber typy seal that replaced the crap foam stuff seat used. maybe its not factory stuff just something someone found. i hope this has the job done on it. its the second time in trying!

Yes, The exterior stuff is much better and should work. Did you scrape off all the old foam stuff from both surfaces first?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,088 ✭✭✭sean1141

on the front door i did ya. i then filled the small channel with a small beed of silicone first and let it set for 45mins. then i put a larger beed over that. put it back in place and put a beed all around it so it had better not leak again!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Did a serious bit of wheel cleaning today, took the wheels off and set to work with a wheel brush and half a bottle of Wonder Wheels.

Wish I took some before pictures, because the inside of the wheels had 11 years of dirt on them, they were BLACK. These picture show them after an initial wash with car shampoo and a brush. I didn't even know the inside of M-Parallel's were white until I saw a picture online a few months back! Left them to soak for 5 minutes with a heavy coat of Wonder Wheels:

wh2.jpg

wh1.jpg

After an insanely tiring 2 hours of scrubbing as hard as I could, this is the best I could get them with the tools I had:

wh5.jpg

wh3.jpg

It's amazing the difference having the inside of wheels clean makes. The wheels look larger and makes the car look newer.

wh7.jpg

wh6.jpg

Still contemplating a refurb, but this will do for the moment!

Ops, here's another pic:

wh4.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Great job voodoo. I did the same to mine recently. It's unreal the difference it makes to have all the dirt, caked-on brake dust and tar gone off them.

Only problem is I uncovered areas where the paint is corroding and you start to notice new bits of tar getting on the wheels again :mad:

Excellent job on those wheels.
    I wouldn't use wonder wheels though.. That stuff is supposed to be full of acid or some corroding chemical.
    They look good now though. Keep them waxed, easier to amintain

Nah, theres a few different types of Wonder Wheels, I used the non-acidic one that turns red on contact with dirt. Although the acidic one probably would have made life easier on the inside of the rims.

The turning red thing is a load of crap though, it comes out of the bottle red. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

Does the acidic one harm the lacquer?

I was reading all the different bottles and they all indicated that acidic solutions should not be used on chrome or multi-piece wheels. Its safe to use on lacquer, but i'd imagine the key is not to leave it on too long.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

A xenon packed in Sunday evening.

2011-11-29163511.jpg

Big thanks to George Dalton on here. He supplied and fitted both for less than one from the dealer.

2011-11-29183348.jpg

EPM wrote: »
    A xenon packed in Sunday evening.

http://i697.photobucket.com/albums/vv335/EoinM/2011-11-29163511.jpg

Big thanks to George Dalton on here. He supplied and fitted both for less than one from the dealer.

http://i697.photobucket.com/albums/vv335/EoinM/2011-11-29183348.jpg

So you ended up having to replace both? were they way out in color?

vectra wrote: »
    So you ended up having to replace both? were they way out in color?

As they heated up the difference became more apparant. He got a second bulb in just in case it was needed so I took the second one. The difference was pretty slight but it would've annoyed me. Also, they tend to lose intensity as they age so it's good to have them back to full brightness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

Gary ITR wrote: »

Where there's a will there's a way...

EPM wrote: »
    Where there's a will there's a way...

I could probably go without food and beer for a couple of months

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Got lowering springs, got the thought of putting the bloody things in is killing me. Weather permittent I'll try do it tom-anuary.

Got lowering springs, got the thought of putting the bloody things in is killing me. Weather permittent I'll try do it tom-anuary.

What happened the coilovers?

What happened the coilovers?

One failed the nct, didn't realise it was leaking but it's goosed. And with standard suspension in I realise how much I hate coilovers and the car being that low, so 50mm drop will do me fine.

Plus I got a full set of standard shocks and springs plus koni lowering springs for 50 euro :)

Jaysis the 50mm drop on standard shocks will probably give a ride just as bad as coilovers!

• Advertisement

Jaysis the 50mm drop on standard shocks will probably give a ride just as bad as coilovers!

I've had it before and it was fine. The coilovers were rated for a petrol anyway so I don't think I'll be missing much.

I've had it before and it was fine. The coilovers were rated for a petrol anyway so I don't think I'll be missing much.

I dunno, you vag boys and dropping your cars to the ground. You're all mad

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭kiwipower

johnos1984 wrote: »
    I took my Marina fishing this morning. I doubt the sea air will help it but it needed a run out

Is that a Morris Marina?
    Havent seen one of those in a few years!
    Learnt to drive in an 1800cc 4gear! Sounded like a B52 on take off, but man was she zippy up the hills! (fcuked of a few of the NZ V8 boys as she sailed passed :cool:)
    Sweet wee thing till the clutch, gear box and handbrake rattled themselves apart!

50ml? sure that's nothing! I'm on the hunt for a replacement, so I shall see after it's painted.

I Love when a vag is close to the ground :P

Really? I'd prefer it on a tall leggy blonde myself

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

midgets? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

I name my cars based on the county of registration.

My first car was called Louise (Limerick reg), 2nd car was dervla (Dublin), 3rd car was Tina (Tipp North), 4th car was Cathy - funny story with this one. It was Cork reg'd and I couldn't pick a name with C so I typed the letters 22849 (end of reg plate) into a text with predictive text on and it came up with Cathy :D

My current car is Leah (Louth).

Thats brilliant. Mine is called Tess1, my last car was called Tess :D

Really? I'd prefer it on a tall leggy blonde myself
    midgets? :pac:

No,
    It's easier to climb a fallen tree :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

No,