Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Depression

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Lone Stone wrote: »
    Funny how it takes a high profile suicide to stir up a conversation about depression, some one jumped in front of the fast train at the dart station near my house the other week and wasnt even a peep on the radio.
    Both equally sad and both have the same final ending .

• Registered Users Posts: 11,726 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

In my lifetime, i have lost two close friends to suicide. One friend was a day just short of 12 years from Gary Speed. I know about six people that have taken their own life and i just cant get my head around it. I can only guess.... Maybe Drugs, Drink, Money or Love.
    R.I.P to anyone that suffered this sickness

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

personally speaking...do i think gary speed suffered from depression....no

there's no way he could have played top flight football for the best part of 20 yrs if he did, there's no way he would have taken up an international high profile manager job if he did

look at his relaxed/happy demeanour on football focus just hours before he died

i honestly think there's more to this than depression..something or someone pushed him over the edge

I'm delighted that this thread is still going and I really hope it helps increase people's awareness of this issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭WesternNight

fryup wrote: »

A small but important (IMO) point. You cannot necessarily assume that because someone appears, to you, to be relaxed or happy, that they don't suffer from depression. 'Appearances can be deceptive' is a cliché for a reason.

That said, you also can't assume that simply because someone ends their own life that they suffered from depression as it's not always the case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

there's no way he could have played top flight football for the best part of 20 yrs if he did, there's no way he would have taken up an international high profile manager job if he did

i honestly think there's more to this than depression..something or someone pushed him over the edge
    You may be correct, but I've heard it said that sometimes when people have made up their mind to end their lives, that their mood can lift and they enter into a euphoric/elated state.

Unfortunately over the last ten years, I've lost neighbours, work colleagues and friends to suicide and in a small percentage of cases there didn't seem to be any history of mental illness, they would have been described as "happy go lucky" and "the life and soul of the party".

I reckon some people manage to hide their pain away even from those closest to them. I also feel the more successful people are in life the harder it can be for them to look for help, maybe they fear they will be judged harshly by others.

For example: Look at Marian Keyes the author, she has been very honest about her battle with depression. As soon as she announced it, her fans rallied around her but unfortunately, there were others who responded with - "What on earth has she to be depressed about?"

Depression has no boundaries, it can affect anyone!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭whirlpool

I don't know if any of you were following another thread which was started last night, and subsequently closed, called "Depression - do you understand it?"

A couple of pages into the thread, someone made a post saying claiming the following:

It is not scientifically proven that a lack of serotonin is the cause of depression.

A couple of people responded, jumping down his throat, demanding that he explain what is the cause of depression then.

Why were they asking this person to provide proof of what causes depression? :confused: He never claimed to know what causes depression. I don't understand why anyone thought he did make that claim.

They were responses driven by emotion, and not by logic. I know that. But I just wanted to make the point - because I don't want to feel I can't say certain things without having my head bitten off.

I understand that some of the people who responded have been suffering from depression, but I myself have been on SSRI's for three years, and I'd like to work this all out logically, as I'm sure everyone else would.

That thread is here (now closed): http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056464877

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

That said, you also can't assume that simply because someone ends their own life that they suffered from depression as it's not always the case.

exactly, and in this case i don't think the deceased suffered from depression (imo)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭coolx

whirlpool wrote: »
    I don't know if any of you were following another thread which was started last night, and subsequently closed, called "Depression - do you understand it?"

A couple of pages into the thread, someone made a post saying claiming the following:

It is not scientifically proven that a lack of serotonin is the cause of depression.

A couple of people responded, jumping down his throat, demanding that he explain what is the cause of depression then.

Why were they asking this person to provide proof of what causes depression? :confused: He never claimed to know what causes depression. I don't understand why anyone thought he did make that claim.

They were responses driven by emotion, and not by logic. I know that. But I just wanted to make the point - because I don't want to feel I can't say certain things without having my head bitten off.

I understand that some of the people who responded have been suffering from depression, but I myself have been on SSRI's for three years, and I'd like to work this all out logically, as I'm sure everyone else would.

That thread is here (now closed): http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056464877

Well I basically got told off for mentioning it. It's scary that millions of these drugs are prescribed on the basis of an unproven hypothesis. I would never take a drug unless I had a reasonable level of proof that the drug actually worked. Who knows what these drugs are doing longterm. Prozac has only been around 20 odd years.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dr-mark-hyman/depression-medication-why_b_550098.html

• Registered Users Posts: 7,058 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

I suffered from depression for a while. Overall, maybe two or three years but it was really intense for about three months. Thankfully, I got help and turned it around.

I never got to the point where I actually wanted to kill myself but I did think about it a lot. I was also in a kind of limbo for ages where, although I didn't want to kill myself and I didn't want to die, I didn't care if I lived or died. I was feeling so **** that I wouldn't have cared less if I'd been run over or something, that was a horrible feeling.

Looking back now, it's pretty scary when I realise how bad I was. Your whole thought process and personality changes to something much darker and scarier, not something I want to revisit.

My advice for anyone feeling depressed: talk to someone about it, as difficult as it may seem, it'll help.

Also, it is quite easy to hide it from people. Since I've recovered, I've told most of my best friends about it and they've all been surprised. None of them suspected a thing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

coolx wrote: »
    Well I basically got told off for mentioning it. It's scary that millions of these drugs are prescribed on the basis of an unproven hypothesis. I would never take a drug unless I had a reasonable level of proof that the drug actually worked. Who knows what these drugs are doing longterm. Prozac has only been around 20 odd years.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dr-mark-hyman/depression-medication-why_b_550098.html

To me, that article is one big facepalm.

He cites 2 journals. there are hundreds if not thousands of studies done on the efficacy of anti depressants, and you cannot say there is enough evidence to dismiss the use of medicinal treatment for depression. his solutions being Vitamin D, mercury level testing, exercise...? of course the serotonin theory hasn't been proven, can things that happen in the brain ever actually be proven? :confused:

To me, that article is one big facepalm.

He cites 2 journals. there are hundreds if not thousands of studies done on the efficacy of anti depressants, and you cannot say there is enough evidence to dismiss the use of medicinal treatment for depression. his solutions being Vitamin D, mercury level testing, exercise...? of course the serotonin theory hasn't been proven, can things that happen in the brain ever actually be proven? :confused:

One article cited is the result of a meta analysis from far more than one study. Years of studies, actually. Have a read of the study if you get the time. It's a pretty interesting read. The NEJM is by far the most reputable medical journal in the world. These people work for the Government, I will take their word over mine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭LeeHoffmann

I've been depressed a few times. Never diagnosed. The first time I was 14 and struggling to deal with a bundle of problems (even one of which would probably knock most adults for six) completely on my own. The turning point was when a friend asked what was up. I couldn't explain but knowing that somebody cared even if only for a moment gave me some foundation to stand on and I something I could use to push myself back up from.

I get depressed pretty much every single Winter but this winter is better than most. I think it's SAD. Lots of people don't seem to think it's real but I've got to the stage in the past where I crossed the road without even looking to see if a car was coming and the thought 'I don't care if I get knocked down' crossed my mind. I had no energy of any kind and just wanted to sleep all the time.

There are triggers for my depressions, and I think having quite a few massively traumatic events in my past pushes me into a spiral at times. I fight against that. I have dealt with these traumatic events but they're like little whispers that attack when I'm vulnerable. I'm grateful that there are triggers for my depressions - this says to me that I don't have a biological type of depression (clinical depression?). For some reason, I've never planned or seriously considered suicide - I've just wished I'd die.

I've only known one person who committed suicide: my Mum, though I've known a few people who've considered it. Depression has definitely blighted my life. It's like a member of the family that only comes around every so often but threatens to tear the place up when it does. I have no real advice to anybody suffering with it. This is a controversial opinion but some problems and some hurt is too much for people to bear. My only advice is: if you can, hold on. Keep going as long as you can - it's only a matter of time until it passes. Nothing lasts forever. "This too will pass" my Dad used to say. It's helped me in hard times.

One article cited is the result of a meta analysis from far more than one study. Years of studies, actually. Have a read of the study if you get the time. It's a pretty interesting read. The NEJM is by far the most reputable medical journal in the world. These people work for the Government, I will take their word over mine.

it doesn't matter how reputable a journal is, the Lancet were the ones that published the MMR as the cause of autism remember? that's still considered reputable. anyway, to me, as a lay person, diagnosed with depression, articles or studies don't matter. I don't like how drugs seem to be the first solution, but then that's not the fault of the people in the medical profession, it's the fault of the health system.

but if you're going to dispute the realism of depression and the need for anti depressants, you have to be prepared for questions from those who have suffered from it.

it doesn't matter how reputable a journal is, the Lancet were the ones that published the MMR as the cause of autism remember? that's still considered reputable. anyway, to me, as a lay person, diagnosed with depression, articles or studies don't matter. I don't like how drugs seem to be the first solution, but then that's not the fault of the people in the medical profession, it's the fault of the health system.

but if you're going to dispute the realism of depression and the need for anti depressants, you have to be prepared for questions from those who have suffered from it.

I'm not disputing Depression as an affliction. Merely the lack of evidence to support the chemical imbalance theory and the poor treatment rates with these drugs.

Came across this article in the Health Science section. Please read it. You don't have to agree with it, I accept that. But it should at least raise some reasonable questions about drug treatments. The issue isn't that depresion is not real, merely that drugs may not be the answer.

http://www.nybooks.com/articles/archives/2011/aug/18/illusions-psychiatry-exchange/?pagination=false

These people are at the forefront of their medical fields. I would take what they say at least somewhat seriously. The NEJM and JAMA studies produced recently are frankly shocking.

Companies hiding data among other shannagans.

I'm not disputing Depression as an affliction. Merely the lack of evidence to support the chemical imbalance theory and the poor treatment rates with these drugs.

Came across this article in the Health Science section. Please read it. You don't have to agree with it, I accept that. But it should at least raise some reasonable questions about drug treatments. The issue isn't that depresion is not real, merely that drugs may not be the answer.

http://www.nybooks.com/articles/archives/2011/aug/18/illusions-psychiatry-exchange/?pagination=false

These people are at the forefront of their medical fields. I would take what they say at least somewhat seriously. The NEJM and JAMA studies produced recently are frankly shocking.

Companies hiding data among other shannagans.

I've read part of it, but I don't have the concentration to read all of it.

What I'd be interested in actually is any theories for why humans have mental disorders like this, and if they're on the increase or decrease.

I've read part of it, but I don't have the concentration to read all of it.

What I'd be interested in actually is any theories for why humans have mental disorders like this, and if they're on the increase or decrease.

It's a long article in fairness. Depression is a devestating condition. That isn't open for debate. It's even mentioned in the article. I think the main point they are reaching is that it's the companies are using false theories to sell medication. They don't agree with chemical imbalances. These people are way smarter than myself, so I will take their word.

The truth is, we don't really know what the hell causes depression, just that it cripples people. There is alot of ongoing research into this area, but it could take a number of years before a doctor can say with absolute certainty that your symptoms match a genetic disease called "depression".

It's a silent killer:( I feel badly for depressed people, because they really don't deserve the level of ignorance presened. The lack of understanding about the real causes fuels this.

Make no mistake, this is probably the most complex poorly understood illness you can get. A bit more research into the real causes of depression would go a long way to help people suffering from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

It's a long article in fairness. Depression is a devestating condition. That isn't open for debate. It's even mentioned in the article. I think the main point they are reaching is that it's the companies are using false theories to sell medication. They don't agree with chemical imbalances. These people are way smarter than myself, so I will take their word.

The truth is, we don't really know what the hell causes depression, just that it cripples people. There is alot of ongoing research into this area, but it could take a number of years before a doctor can say with absolute certainty that your symptoms match a genetic disease called "depression".

It's a silent killer:( I feel badly for depressed people, because they really don't deserve the level of ignorance presened. The lack of understanding about the real causes fuels this.

Make no mistake, this is probably the most complex poorly understood illness you can get. A bit more research into the real causes of depression would go a long way to help people suffering from it.

There would need to be more evidence that it isn't helped by drugs. As others said, MMR was disputed.

Science isn't necessarily fact either, just the most accepted theory at any given time. It's interesting that some people don't seem to need drugs and others find them a hindrance. That doesn't necessarily mean that drugs don't work.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

K-9 wrote: »
    There would need to be more evidence that it isn't helped by drugs. As others said, MMR was disputed.

Science isn't necessarily fact either, just the most accepted theory at any given time. It's interesting that some people don't seem to need drugs and others find them a hindrance. That doesn't necessarily mean that drugs don't work.

You have to factor in the placebo effect. That accounts for most of the "improvement", not the drug itself. Read the meta analysis and this is littered throughout the results.

The drugs may or may not work very well. I understand where you are coming from. However, should we really be pumping billions into drugs which are proven time and time again to be little better than an inert placebo?

Not to mention the chemical imbalance theory was disproven a long long time ago. The NIMH will agree with this fact. This is an interesting video. Go onto zoloft website.

It states depression results from a chemical imbalance despite no evidence. Why are they selling drugs on the basis of an unproven hypotheis. Go onto the zoloft website and look at the disclaimer. Looks scary.

The chemical imbalance theory fails the Falsafiability test, therefore it is not proven.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

You have to factor in the placebo effect. That accounts for most of the "improvement", not the drug itself. Read the meta analysis and this is littered throughout the results.

The drugs may or may not work very well. I understand where you are coming from. However, should we really be pumping billions into drugs which are proven time and time again to be little better than an inert placebo?

Not to mention the chemical imbalance theory was disproven a long long time ago. The NIMH will agree with this fact. This is an interesting video. Go onto zoloft website.

It states depression results from a chemical imbalance despite no evidence. Why are they selling drugs on the basis of an unproven hypotheis. Go onto the zoloft website and look at the disclaimer. Looks scary.

The chemical imbalance theory fails the Falsafiability test, therefore it is not proven.

My internet connection isn't great. I think it could well be partly placebo effect. Any links handy on that?

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement

K-9 wrote: »
    My internet connection isn't great. I think it could well be partly placebo effect. Any links handy on that?

:(

Here is the NEJM meta analysis I was referring to: http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMsa065779

Compared to the placebo group for each study, the results are pretty grim.

"Among 74 FDA-registered studies, 31%, accounting for 3449 study participants, were not published. Whether and how the studies were published were associated with the study outcome. A total of 37 studies viewed by the FDA as having positive results were published; 1 study viewed as positive was not published. Studies viewed by the FDA as having negative or questionable results were, with 3 exceptions, either not published (22 studies) or published in a way that, in our opinion, conveyed a positive outcome (11 studies). According to the published literature, it appeared that 94% of the trials conducted were positive. By contrast, the FDA analysis showed that 51% were positive. Separate meta-analyses of the FDA and journal data sets showed that the increase in effect size ranged from 11 to 69% for individual drugs and was 32% overall."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

My friend was diagnosed with depression/anxiety in August. He had no motivation to do anything, even wash a cup - and he's a neat freak. He wasn't taking care of his personal hygiene. He was awake all night and lying in bed all day - he's usually out like a light, sleeps like a log and gets up at a normal hour. He quit his job of six years - just walked out, despite how hard it is to get a job at the moment.
    He was put on anti-depressants and Xanax. He felt worse initially. And then very slightly improved, but still felt sh1t for ages. The meds took two and a half months to kick in fully, but they did - and he is now back to his old self and thankfully got a job.

That is NOT the placebo effect - ffs! :mad::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

I think some people can put on a game face and pretend to be normal. They may appear fine when their minds are occupied but when alone feel great turmoil.

I do agree that not every victim of suicide is depressed. I would suspect that loads of people kill themselves because of pressure and stress. This is different to being depressed.

Dudess wrote: »
    That is NOT the placebo effect - ffs! :mad::rolleyes:

I am afraid if you want to prove that, you would have to ask him to repeat that episode while off medication and compare his general moods. Sorry to hear about his troubles regardless. No job isn't worth your mental health. Sucide is a big ****ing problem. This needs to be addressed sooner than financial worries.

When things were really bad for me, I asked for time off from my job to try and get my head together. When I asked my manager, they were genuinely surprised that I was going through such a bad time, because when I was in work I was pleasant, polite and professional, when deep down it was eating away at me.

Some are just better at hiding it than others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

What's wrong with: he was ill, took medicine and got better? I know it's not very "deep" but why do things have to be?

Anti depressants have been proven to work on countless occasions. I'm not saying they're the be all and end all - I'd prefer counselling myself as that gets to the root of the problem, but sometimes a person needs something to help them get out of the bed and brush their hair, let alone make the trip to the counsellor.

Pieta House and the Samaritans deserve alot more support than they recieve. Seriously, these places should be getting grants to cover their expansion into more urban areas and beyond.

Pieta House and the Samaritans deserve alot more support than they recieve. Seriously, these places should be getting grants to cover their expansion into more urban areas and beyond.

I completely agree. The government try to say they're creating awareness of depression and yet they don't do what matters. It's just ridiculous, though having said that, the rural areas should be their primary concerns over the urban areas at first.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,959 ✭✭✭✭bnt

There was a time, about ten years ago, when I wondered whether I had some form of depression. So I bought a little book about depression, and by the end of the first chapter, it was pretty clear that I was not suffering from any form of depression. It is no laughing matter. :eek:

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Advertisement

Dudess wrote: »
    What's wrong with: he was ill, took medicine and got better? I know it's not very "deep" but why do things have to be?

The issue isn't that he got better, it's why he got better. If the placebo effect holds true, he should have gotten better even without the drugs.

At least witin a respectable margin. The reason I ask such unpalatable questions is not because I like pointing my finger at the mentally ill and laughing, but because in the long run the questions I ask will only benefit these people.

If you stamp out alot of the fraud in this sector everybody benefits, including the patient. Good Research is not about anything else but the truth. The truth will set you free and all that. Scientific Integrity is extremely cold, but it is also very important in the treatment of mental illness.

Big advances are on the way with all this data in the open you can be assured of that. This is going OT, so I will keep from derailing the thread any further within reason.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement