Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Love/Hate [** Spoilers **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭criticalcritic

CALLING ALL IRELAND WITH A MESSAGE FROM SOMEONE WHO ACTUALLY IS FROM A WORKING CLASS AREA IN DUBLIN AND HAS KNOWN SOME SERIOUS SCUMBAGS IN MY TIME

This attempt by the D4 based RTE types to portray a realistic 'gritty' gangland working class Dublin, really is pants.

Nobody from working class Dublin talks like they do on love/hate

Nobody from working class Dublin dresses like they do on love/hate

No criminals/scumbags act like they do on love/hate

The whole thing looks like its shot around Knocklyon or Castleknock, not places you would find many tough gangsters

Id imagine if it were filmed round the likes of the Inner City or Finglas the 'tough guy' gangster actors of this show would get eaten alive

And I dont know many gangsters who look like lead character of Love/Hate, with his indie band haircut, Brown Thomas getup and stick thin skeletal figure.

Not a nike tracksuit, one back and sides haircut in sight

Im afraid for me its just hate instead of love/hate

Again RTE and the Irish film industry fail in attempting to capture working class Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭keith_d99

Was there a bit of a Joy Division cover playing at one stage in tonight's episode?

Sure was - She's Lost Control

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭willowthewisp

CALLING ALL IRELAND WITH A MESSAGE FROM SOMEONE WHO ACTUALLY IS FROM A WORKING CLASS AREA IN DUBLIN AND HAS KNOWN SOME SERIOUS SCUMBAGS IN MY TIME

This attempt by the D4 based RTE types to portray a realistic 'gritty' gangland working class Dublin, really is pants.

The whole thing looks like its shot around Knocklyon or Castleknock, not places you would find many tough gangsters

Id imagine if it were filmed round the likes of the Inner City or Finglas the 'tough guy' gangster actors of this show would get eaten alive

And I dont know many gangsters who look like lead character of Love/Hate, with his indie band haircut, Brown Thomas getup and stick thin skeletal figure.

Again RTE and the Irish film industry fail in attempting to capture working class Dublin

It's fiction not a documentary bro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Thought that was the Gardai's job? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭coolegrain

almost the same as saying kirk douglas never looked like a real cowboy, their teeth would never be that clean...
    it's a damn good series and well put together

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

This series of Love/Hate is definitely an improvement on the last and it is a good show by RTE's poor standards. However I have to agree with criticalcritic here in saying that the show is just not believable enough for me.
    It is a pity they didn't hire people fresh out of Mountjoy as technical advisors.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,482 ✭✭✭JG009

coolegrain wrote: »
    almost the same as saying kirk douglas never looked like a real cowboy, their teeth would never be that clean...

Its slightly better than the last but still way far out and unrealistic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭R P McMurphy

JG009 wrote: »
    coolegrain wrote: »

Its slightly better than the last but still way far out and unrealistic
    Best to stick to fair city

• Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

keith_d99 wrote: »
    Sure was - She's Lost Control

Thanks - who was the cover by?

Best to stick to fair city

Elaborate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 Virtual hi 5

Hi guys could anyone tell me where John Boy's apartment is?? I noticed Croke Park in the background of a scene in last weeks episode and its just been annoying me.
    Thanks in advance.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭boreder

This got me thinking about the TV shows I've watched/watch ....

Mayber Jack Bauer couldn't dodge bullets, and it was all just a lie...?

Is there really a serial killer in Miami metro homicide? :eek:

A doctor who is addicted to vicadin and hates people? :eek:

Are they exaggerating McGarrets ability as a navy seal when filming the documentary 'Hawaii Five O' ?

Hi guys could anyone tell me where John Boy's apartment is?? I noticed Croke Park in the background of a scene in last weeks episode and its just been annoying me.
    Thanks in advance.:D

I think its in drumcondra somewhere? Found it! 53.364658, -6.247164 pop them into google maps, and you should be able to see his decking.

99319006.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭prettyboy81

That's the apt alright off Distillery Road, the chap who owns it, lives there but rented it our to rte obviously while they filmed...not far from the inner city for those who mentioned Castleknock & Knocklyn

I think its in drumcondra somewhere? Found it! 53.364658, -6.247164 pop them into google maps, and you should be able to see his decking.

I read that Aiden Gillen himself is a native of clonliffe road so he could call down to mammy for the tea when he is finished shooting for the day :D

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭cosanostra

99319006.jpg

I'm off to dig up that decking before Nidge gets to it!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,340 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Really good stuff so far.
    I could see Season 1 (4eps) and 2 (6eps) being packaged as a single 10 episode season and finding a slot somewhere in the States. Fairly sure it would have no problems getting an audience (who wouldn't notice things like accents etc that we do). Which would hopefully allow RTE to commit to a 8 or 10 episodes next year - theres definitely scope to expand the story and for example bring the police side into it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭latenia

SOMEONE WHO ACTUALLY IS FROM A WORKING CLASS AREA IN DUBLIN

really is pants.

I've never heard a working class Dubliner use the word pants as an adjective.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭Ainekav

I think it's great - fair play to RTE.

They did a great job making Tommy look like a (hot) knacker - and he HAS a short back and sides complete with fringe gelled down!Where I come from, that is knacker-chic!! Aidan Gillen is very clean cut looking but he has the snarl down to a T, so that makes up for it. The ginger heroin addict is poor, but it is believable that she is a little rich kid gone wrong either... So we'll give her the benefit of the doubt. Fran from Chill insurance also has the sneer perfected, good man Fran! Your one with the fake boobs looks, smells, acts and talks like a tramp so she's sorted, the creepy new young fella is naive looking but rough around the edges aswell, Ruth Negga is thankfully not in this series as she is as intimidating as a koala bear, and While I have said in the past that Darren looks like a fairy - it is also somewhat believable because his character doesn't actually want to be a criminal. PLUS, maybe his father was a dashing mexican drug overlord and his mother was a cocaine-addled model and that's how they produced such a adonis-like specimen...? Just because he's hot and tanned doesn't mean he can't be a gangster - it's certainly not the norm, but its possible!

And nidge is great - what was once a kind of funny characature of the dublin scumbag has now taken a more sinister turn as he pledges his undying loyalty to the gangland world.

All in all, I'm pretty happy with it!

JohnBoys house is in Ballybough - pretty rough IMHO. Also, the top dogs usually buy houses in nice areas no?
    Another scene had them down around the canal near Rialto, and one just round the corner from me on Church St. Far from CAstleknock or Knocklyon...
    And I work up near Finglas with people that would be northsiders for life and funnily enough, they wear jeans and tshirts aswell!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭allandanyways

Have heard a few comments now in various places about no way Robert Sheehan could be a gangster, or no way could Aiden Gillen be a gang boss - people need to wake up and realise 2 things: It is a fictional television drama taking inspiration from our gangland problem and also, not all gangsters are fat knackers in tracksuits (which is what I was told by a very naive friend that they should actually be portraying if they want to portray gangland Dublin)

Wonder what tonight will bring?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Have heard a few comments now in various places about no way Robert Sheehan could be a gangster, or no way could Aiden Gillen be a gang boss - people need to wake up and realise 2 things: It is a fictional television drama taking inspiration from our gangland problem and also, not all gangsters are fat knackers in tracksuits (which is what I was told by a very naive friend that they should actually be portraying if they want to portray gangland Dublin)

Wonder what tonight will bring?
    More madness hopefully!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

Ainekav wrote: »
    I think it's great - fair play to RTE.

They did a great job making Tommy look like a (hot) knacker -

Im with you on Tommy Aine, I have to say it ................I SO would:D;)

Am looking forward to half9

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

"That SCCCCCUMBAG JohnBoy"...

I bet Paul Williams is raging he cant write an article about him.. :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

"That SCCCCCUMBAG JohnBoy"...

I bet Paul Williams is raging he cant write an article about him.. :D
    The sh1t rag he writes for would probably try and pass it off as a true story!

Wouldnt be the first time.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,587 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

Lisha wrote: »
    Ainekav wrote: »
    I SO would

Girls: GET YOUR HANDS OFF HIM HE'S TAKEN;)

On a calmer note- not all drug dealers fit the picture of the 'how a ya' scumbag.I worked for years in an environment where these guys could dress up or down like a chameleon, to suit their needs.Joe Soap would be very surprised what/who some of these guys really are.

Yes this is a fictional drama- but it's a good one.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Stop yer cribbin.

Its the best thing to come out of RTÉ in yonks.

+ That last scene just now was shot along the Grand Canal and Red Luas line.

Nowhere near Knocklyon or Castleknock.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,660 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Was Johnboy's daughter around or mentioned last season?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

Ah Jesus, how fine is Ruth Negga?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

bit the fuk... Joe Duffy will be busy tomorrow..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,587 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Was Johnboy's daughter around or mentioned last season?
    Genuinely can't remember
    longshanks wrote: »
    Ah Jesus, how fine is Ruth Negga?
    She wouldn't be my type, (close your eyes,that scene is unsuitable)-whereas Tommy........

Jesus-that was quick-:eek:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement