Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crazy council plan for clontarf.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭Yahew

those arguments are correct, but it doesn't follow that public spending is spent on the rich(er) neighbourhoods. Taxation is supposed to equalise that kind of spending.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭drkpower

Yahew wrote: »
    those arguments are correct, but it doesn't follow that public spending is spent on the rich(er) neighbourhoods. Taxation is supposed to equalise that kind of spending.
    I agree with you. The affluence (or otherwise) of those living in an area should not influence the nature of the works they get.

I only discuss it because Degsy believes that if you pay more taxes, you should get better public works. Personally, I disagree with him.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

drkpower wrote: »
    I only discuss it because Degsy believes that if you pay more taxes, you should get better public works. Personally, I disagree with him.

No i dont..i said if you want better public works then you should pay more taxes,

You're not even from clontarf yet you seem to be an expert on the region and its status as a motherlode of taxable income.

House prices in D3 above the national average.

http://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/31-caledon-road-east-wall-dublin-3/423803

Heres a house in Dublin 3 for 115,000...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

The affluence (or otherwise) of those living in an area should not influence the nature of the works they get.

Too right, if they want a more expensive option so their views are not obstructed, pay out of their own pockets.

• Advertisement

Degsy wrote: »
    No i dont..i said if you want better public works then you should pay more taxes,.

The reverse being that if you pay more taxes, you get better works, right?
    You're not even from clontarf
    Do you actually read posts or do you have a different definition of 'from' to normal people?

The reverse being that if you pay more taxes, you get better works, right?

Do you actually read posts or do you have a different definition of 'from' to normal people?

I lived in East Wall for about 6 years until a short few years ago.I live in Clontarf now

You're not from clontarf...and i take it you spent your time in east wall studying the amount of tax people were paying and comparing it with that being payed in your new Clontarf home?

Can you see any issue with extrapolating a conclusion from one piece of evidence, cant you. :D

Now, here's a rental/sales price survey from daft. I wonder which is more representative...?!!

http://www.daft.ie/report/constantin-gurdgiev-2011q2

http://www.daft.ie/report/rachel-breslin

When you have read them, you might come back to this question, which you have avoided about 5 times now:

Can you outline the costs of the original proposal?
    Can you outline the costs of all proposals made by the Clontarf residents?
    Can you then demonstrate how the latter is outlandishly more expensive than the former?

You're not from clontarf...and i take it you spent your time in east wall studying the amount of tax people were paying and comparing it with that being payed in your new Clontarf home?

:DOh, I see, are you saying that because I havent lived there all my life...?!!:D

Serioucly, is that the best you can do?!!:D

:DOh, I see, are you saying that because I havent lived there all my life...?!!:D

Serioucly, is that the best you can do?!!:D

So you're backing up my theory that most of the protesters are blow-ins!

• Advertisement

gurramok wrote: »
    Too right, if they want a more expensive option so their views are not obstructed, pay out of their own pockets.

You should be taking your issues up wiht Degsy,who believs that if you pay more taxes, you should get more expensicve public works.

You might list the reasons why the residents oppose the works as currently formulated; then compare it against what you believe those reasons to be. That might help you.

So you're backing up my theory that most of the protesters are blow-ins!
    :DWhen it comes to the future plans for the Clontarf flood-works, you might explain what the duration of someone's residence in Clontarf has to do with the veracity or otherwise of one's views.....

And then, can you address these questions which are at the heart of your concerns:

Can you then demonstrate how the latter is outlandishly more expensive than the former?

You should be taking your issues up wiht Degsy,who believs that if you pay more taxes, you should get more expensicve public works.

You might list the reasons why the residents oppose the works as currently formulated; then compare it against what you believe those reasons to be. That might help you.

Read the thread first.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2011/1117/1224307706061.html
    Residents remain opposed to their construction on the grounds that they would ruin the local amenity and the views of Dublin Bay.

Are you serious?!!! Even that article - and that quote - gives an alternative reason to 'views'......:D Hohohoho!

(nevermind the other reasons that have been given and which are available publically)

Are you serious?!!! Even that article - and that quote - gives an alternative reason to 'views'......:D Hohohoho!

(nevermind the other reasons that have been given and which are available publically)

No it does not. What's with the hohoho, is this AH?

Its there in the article for you, they object on 2 grounds to the flood defence, that is the ruination of the amenity and the ruination of their views of Dublin Bay.

Its there in the article for you, they object on 2 grounds to the flood defence, that is the ruination of the amenity and the ruination of their views of Dublin Bay.

So why did you suggest previously that the objection was purely about 'views'? Or were you just trying to be disingenuos? Or do you not understand that ruination of an amenity means more than obstructing views?

So why did you suggest previously that the objection was purely about 'views'? Or were you just trying to be disingenuos? Or do you not understand that ruination of an amenity means more than obstructing views?

The views part was and is prominent among the residents, it would not be among the people who do not live there and use the place solely for amenities.

The views part was and is prominent among the residents, it would not be among the people who do not live there and use the place solely for amenities.
    What utter nonsense. The number of houses/apartments that actually benefit from a view that will be affected can scarcely be more than 100-200. The numbers who have signed the petition/attended the various public meeting is in the thousands. The benefit of a 'view' is only an issue for a minority. You should put more thought into your objections so they at least pass some kind of muster.

Too much...they can easily reduce costs by not including a path in the plans.

I hope common sense prevails and the cheapest option is the one implemented.

• Advertisement

What utter nonsense. The number of houses/apartments that actually benefit from a view that will be affected can scarcely be more than 100-200. The numbers who have signed the petition/attended the various public meeting is in the thousands. The benefit of a 'view' is only an issue for a minority. You should put more thought into your objections so they at least pass some kind of muster.

Shouldn't residents opinions among these 'thousands' have more significance than outsiders as residents reside in the area and are directly affected by any floods and flood defence proposals?

Its quite obvious from the DCC presentation where you have viewed the altered views that arise from the built flood defences that there their objections are baseless.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,773 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

Council flies in expert over Clontarf flood battle http://www.herald.ie/news/council-flies-in-expert-over-clontarf-flood-battle-2945989.html

if the CBA/CRA and want the report options looked at again why would they oppose talking to the consultant

http://www.dublincity.ie/WaterWasteEnvironment/waterprojects/Documents/Appendix%203%20Part%204%20EIS%20Report.pdf
    page 63 it shows the options that were looked at

anyway this is dublin sized issue not a local one.

Too much...they can easily reduce costs by not including a path in the plans.

I hope common sense prevails and the cheapest option is the one implemented.

Shouldn't residents opinions among these 'thousands' have more significance than outsiders as residents reside in the area and are directly affected by any floods and flood defence proposals?.
    The promenade is an amenity for the wider area, and wider Dublin, not just for those living on the seafront. Certainly, the seafront residents views are of significant importance because, as you say, potential flooding is something that only they are at risk of. But their views are not the only relevant ones.
    Its quite obvious from the DCC presentation where you have viewed the altered views that arise from the built flood defences that there their objections are baseless.

That sentence doesnt really make sense? What are you trying to say?

You might outline what specific objections are baseless and why?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

i keep seeing this post over and over, Can you outline the costs?

kceire wrote: »
    i keep seeing this post over and over, Can you outline the costs?
    No; but I am not claiming that the residents solution is outlandishly more expensive than DCC's. Degsy is. But s/he is unable to provide any support for that position. Which, of course, robs his position of any merit.

See how it works?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,476 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

So already there's money being pissed away because of those objectionists...

That sentence doesnt really make sense? What are you trying to say?

You might outline what specific objections are baseless and why?

Makes perfect sense.

Look at the views(pictures) which I had posted. There is hardly any alteration in the views which leaves one to think that the objections are based on hysterics rather than on actual study.

No; but I am not claiming that the residents solution is outlandishly more expensive than DCC's. Degsy is. But s/he is unable to provide any support for that position. Which, of course, robs his position of any merit.

See how it works?

how about you stop arguing with him and try to progress the discussion.

what is the residents solution?

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2011/1117/breaking68.html

The associations have said that they would be in favour of an option that would see the level of the seawall raised along with the promenade footpath.

ah this is the entire 2005 Royal Haskoning dublin coastal flooding project report http://www.clontarf.ie/_uploads/files/dcfpp_final_report_report.pdf pg 354

• Advertisement

http://aodhanoriordain.blogspot.com/2011/10/raising-clontarf-flood-defences-under.html

In Aodhan O'Rriordain's Dail speech he referenced "Dublin City Council’s Clontarf promenade steering committee" what sort of steering committee was that, an internal council technical one? I can no reference to anyway else online.

and "The minutes of the meeting indicate that council officials realised, even at that point, the need to provide clear images and drawings for the public consultation process. This recommendation was not pursued, however."

minutes?

So often planning involves some badly photocopied technical drawings, that you might not be able to read, Also I think planners don't like to draw diagrams at early stages, because they think that the public may presume they are definitely happening, basically theirs condescension to the public from experts who job it is to make things clear. Would like to see more diagrams with each option, where it shows the how far the sea has and will come.

Advertisement