Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rammstein Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

old gregg wrote: »
    in this instance the question relates specifically to Rammstein and how the lyrics are perceived by German speakers.
    Fair enough, ich spreche keine Deutsche so off to www.boards.de with you :).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

Malice wrote: »
    Fair enough, ich spreche keine Deutsche so off to www.boards.de with you :).

always a joy to visit the Rock & Metal forum

• Registered Users Posts: 5,450 ✭✭✭blastman

I did enough German to be able to pick up some of the meaning of the lyrics. On the surface, they are very simple (hence even I can understand bits and pieces!) but like most lyrics, there are a couple of different levels of interpretation. I read a good article a while back on Rammstein lyrics, on the surfaces they are quite simplisitic, but they are very open to different interpretations.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Calm Down, eh?

SCOUSE_682x400_715312a.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

I did German for the LC and again in college thanks to Rammstein. I've done translations of albums on fansites too.

As someone who understands what they're saying, I find the lyrics are deep, double-meaning most of the time, extremely poetic and powerful. This mixed with Till's deep, Teutonic voice over the music make an impact like the moon hitting the earth.

For instance, in Du Hast he says "Willst du bis der Tod euch scheidet". If the line is read as "Tod der Scheide" it would be "until the death of the vagina" and not "until death, which would seperate" ("Tod, der scheide").

What did you mean when you said that the lyrics can be a bit ropey and German natives say the wheels start to come off once you understand them???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

DrumSteve wrote: »
    Calm Down, eh?

SCOUSE_682x400_715312a.jpg

Yosser_hughes.JPG

Problem la? :pac:

Yes I know Bernard Hill is a Mancunian, but Yosser was Scouse.

I know, I love it here so much I even volunteered to mod the place :).

I know, I love it here so much I even volunteered to mod the place :).

You volunteered? I thought it was punishement for summit...

Also @Kess:

g-souness.jpg

I'll leave it there.

Also yosser made it to Lord of the Rings... bit of a surprise when he started talking though.

You volunteered? I thought it was punishement for summit...
    Well I kept asking to mod one of the cool forums like Nature & Bird Watching but the admins said I was only good enough for a lame forum like this :(.

Well I kept asking to mod one of the cool forums like Nature & Bird Watching but the admins said I was only good enough for a lame forum like this :(.

Nature & Bird Watching is way more rock and/or roll than the Rock & Metal forum... That's indisputable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

I may have posed this at some time past but can't remember .... I have a few German native/speaking friends and they all say that once you understand the lyrics of Rammstein the wheels start to come off the whole thing. I'm 2 weeks into a learning German course so in no position to comment but I've looked at translations to a few songs and they can be pretty ropey. I do love the music and booked my concert tix within mins of release so I'm not approaching this negatively.

So, to the German language speakers who do enjoy Rammstein, how do you resolve this or is there even anything to resolve? Does it even matter? Danke :)
    I was told the same thing, although I found it was quite the opposite when I stared to get a solid grasp of German. The lyrics can be as shallow or as deep as you want them to be in a lot of cases.

Either way, I have been speaking German for the best part of a year and a half now and I still love rammstein, Lyrics and all!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,913 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

i really don't care if most of there songs translate to them singing about Fluffy Teddy Bears, it sounds cool as fcuk and they're cool as fcuk, so it's good enough for me

Nature & Bird Watching is way more rock and/or roll than the Rock & Metal forum... That's indisputable.
    Yup. that's why only proper rock and or rollers like Kess73 get to mod there!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

The meaning of the lyrics doesn't matter a whole lot for a band like this, it's how it's all put together. Is it even possible to ask German Rammstein fans if the quality of Rammsteins lyrics bother them, would they even be fans then. I think Rammstein wouldn't be that big in Germany if that was the case......but they are huge there.

Mein Land will be released on November 14th :D

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭bigwormbundoran

Mein Land will be released on November 14th :D

Loving the picuture :D

I wonder will that be the cover art? I doubt it

Loving the picuture :D

I wonder will that be the cover art? I doubt it

That be my sig ;)

It's a poster that was released for Reise Reise.

That be my sig ;)

It's a poster that was released for Reise Reise.

Not that one :p

The one for Mein Land with the 5 lads with the surf board! It fairly encapsulates everything I love about Rammstein.

Not that one :p

The one for Mein Land with the 5 lads with the surf board! It fairly encapsulates everything I love about Rammstein.

:o

It's rather like that "New & Used Guitars for Sale" ad that pops up in the bottom right corner on here!

I don't know if that'll be the actual cover. Part of me doubts it and the other part thinks it will be haha

We gonna have a probelm?:mad::mad:

• Advertisement

Yup. that's why only proper rock and or rollers like Kess73 get to mod there!

I'm so metal I have to wear this stuff when it rains.

rust-proof-paint-221539.jpg

Here's the setlist from the Made in Germany Tour rehearsals:

01 Sonne
    02 Mein Land
    03 Keine Lust
    04 Sehnsucht
    05 Asche zu Asche
    06 Feuer frei!
    07 Mutter
    08 Mein Teil
    09 Du riechst so gut
    10 Links 2 3 4
    11 Du hast
    12 Haifisch

13 Bück dich (Nebenbühne)
    14 Mann gegen Mann (Nebenbühne)
    15 Pussy (Nebenbühne)

16 Mein Herz brennt
    17 Ich will
    18 Wollt ihr das Bett in Flammen sehen?

19 Engel
    20 Amerika

Nebenbühne means second stage and here's how the Bratislava venue was set up:

Rammstein-Bratislava-Stage.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭Nea

Here's the setlist from the Made in Germany Tour rehearsals:

01 Sonne
    02 Mein Land
    03 Keine Lust
    04 Sehnsucht
    05 Asche zu Asche
    06 Feuer frei!
    07 Mutter
    08 Mein Teil
    09 Du riechst so gut
    10 Links 2 3 4
    11 Du hast
    12 Haifisch

13 Bück dich (Nebenbühne)
    14 Mann gegen Mann (Nebenbühne)
    15 Pussy (Nebenbühne)

16 Mein Herz brennt
    17 Ich will
    18 Wollt ihr das Bett in Flammen sehen?

19 Engel
    20 Amerika

Nebenbühne means second stage and here's how the Bratislava venue was set up:

Rammstein-Bratislava-Stage.jpg

Nice to see Wollt ihr das Bett in Flammen sehen? back in, I wouldnt be mad about the tunes they have for the second stage and would prefer to hear Bestrafe/Heirate Mich or Laichzeit. A bit surprsied Ich tu dir Weh is not included.Roll on Feb

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Ireland was unable to host metallica's death magnetic tour, so i doubt very much the o2 would have 2 stages.

Nea wrote: »
    Nice to see Wollt ihr das Bett in Flammen sehen? back in, I wouldnt be mad about the tunes they have for the second stage and would prefer to hear Bestrafe/Heirate Mich or Laichzeit. A bit surprsied Ich tu dir Weh is not included.Roll on Feb

2 tunes I'd love to hear live...

If they play sehnsucht in the o2 i'll be happy! (if they play it in it's entirity I may jizz).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

Someone just told me that for all gigs in the O2 require you to have the ticket and the receipt now??? will this apply for Rammstein as well because I don't think I have my receipt anymore :( I might have it lying at the bottom of some drawer but I really don't want to have to start trying to look for it like :(

anyone know anything about needing a receipt???

Nea wrote: »

It would seem that they're keeping the 2nd stage (rear entrance :D) for the songs that are most sexually explicit either in on-stage antics, videos or lyrics!

I was very surprised to not see ITDW too.

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭devildriver

Guess we'll find out a week from Sunday what the new stage setup looks like. First date in Slovakia on Nov 6.

Buck Dich back YYYYYYYAAAAAASSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!

Cant fecking wait now, only what the best part of 4 months left?

• Advertisement

Album tracks confirmed!

5 out of 16 from Mutter? Tis a tad excessive if ya ask me!

Anyway, I shall be getting my grubby paws on the £150 sterling odd Super Deluxe Edition, these things will only be about once :D

http://www.rammstein.de/madeingermany/deluxe.html?utm_source=NewsletterMIGalbum01&utm_medium=E-Mail&utm_term=MIGannouncement&utm_content=textlink&utm_campaign=MIG_ALBUM

Advertisement