Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Science TR071

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Jammyc

Morgase wrote: »
    Can anyone who did BY2204 Evolution tell me about the lab work for that module please?

I'm pencilled in on the timetable to have that lab at a really awkward time (as in it means I've no break for the entire day) and am wondering if it is a formal lab in one of the laboratories, or is it done in your own time?

Which lab?

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Morgase

There's a lab on Altruism which seems to be a group effort where you conduct your own experiment by packing bags at a supermarket or similar. The other lab is looking at classifying animals in the zoology building and making phylogenetic trees.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Jammyc

Morgase wrote: »
    There's a lab on Altruism which seems to be a group effort where you conduct your own experiment by packing bags at a supermarket or similar. The other lab is looking at classifying animals in the zoology building and making phylogenetic trees.
    Can't speak specifically for this year, but last year both of those were done in your own time. There was another lab though, we had to bring our laptops/share and simulate evolution etc. That one was scheduled and not done in our own time.

Yep they're both in your own time like Jammyc says, but almost everyone in second year had a 9-6 no break at some stage and it's really not as bad as it sounds. Honest! I had been dreading it but it really was fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Evolving

On the subject of SF, is it necessary to have a proper lab notebook for writeups for each of the modules, CH2201, BY2201, BY2203, so 3 notebooks in total? And if so, any recommendations for brands/styles of notebooks?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Morgase

Thanks for that guys. It says a lot that if I need info about the course I come here rather than the people running the course. Honestly it's like getting blood out of a stone sometimes!

Sad to hear that so many had a 9 to 6 without a break. That is ridiculous. How is a person expected to learn when they are surely mentally exhausted?

(Maybe I should take this to Ranting and Raving!)

Evolving wrote: »
    On the subject of SF, is it necessary to have a proper lab notebook for writeups for each of the modules, CH2201, BY2201, BY2203, so 3 notebooks in total? And if so, any recommendations for brands/styles of notebooks?

Chemistry: Hardback science notebook.
    Biology: just something to take down stuff now and again, a little pad would do. It said in the lab manual last year to have a hardback that you write everything in and do lots of preparatory work in beforehand, but it doesn't actually happen, your lab sheets and lab manual will have everything you need really.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Evolving

Deadly, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Iceuil

I have a question about textbooks. We got a list of recommended texts, but they cost a fortune. Will we use these books just in first year or in both first and second? I dont really want to borrow them from the library, because they are too heavy and bringing them to and out of college is a pain. So, are they worth the price? P.S. im talking about biology, chemistry and maths.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Kontakt

Iceuil wrote: »
    I have a question about textbooks. We got a list of recommended texts, but they cost a fortune. Will we use these books just in first year or in both first and second? I dont really want to borrow them from the library, because they are too heavy and bringing them to and out of college is a pain. So, are they worth the price? P.S. im talking about biology, chemistry and maths.

For the first few weeks the books are usually out on loan. Just wait a while, get one of the books and bring it home. You can renew it online and keep it for a few weeks. You don't need to buy any of them. Most of your learning (in bio and chem) will be done with lecture notes anyway. You can probably find Campbell and Reece online in pdf form. That's what I used.

EDIT: So far in SF, the lecturers have recommended specific books for each part of the Biology course. We're using the same Chemistry book.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

Iceuil wrote: »
    If you're determined to buy them, get them second hand. There's plenty of notices round the Hamilton (usually the toilets) of people selling JF science books. But honestly you don't need to buy them, knowing the lecture notes will get you a decent grade alone, and you can always borrow the books or study in the library if you want to do additional reading.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭bscm

Anyone know what the situation is with JF Science student cards and entry to Hamilton before 8am? Arrived in early today (about 7:40am) but wasn't able to swipe in, had to wait for someone to open the door for me. A bit confused as it's supposed to be a 24 hour building so the swipe card access should be open to all years and I don't want the same situation again when it's -10 degrees and lashing rain :/

bscm wrote: »
    Anyone know what the situation is with JF Science student cards and entry to Hamilton before 8am? Arrived in early today (about 7:40am) but wasn't able to swipe in, had to wait for someone to open the door for me. A bit confused as it's supposed to be a 24 hour building so the swipe card access should be open to all years and I don't want the same situation again when it's -10 degrees and lashing rain :/
    The machines tend to be a bit temperamental; neither myself or a professor were able to swipe in yesterday. If you're ever stuck apparently it's easy enough to pull open the automatic door beside the SU shop, never tried it myself though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 XXRachelXX

Hey, anyone know where to get the lecture slides for BY2204 online? Tried the BTC but the links don't work...

XXRachelXX wrote: »
    Hey, anyone know where to get the lecture slides for BY2204 online? Tried the BTC but the links don't work...

Is that Mario Fares? If so, last year it was the "Evolution.zip" file at the end of this page:http://bioinf.gen.tcd.ie/~faresm/page12/page12.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 XXRachelXX

Is that Mario Fares? If so, last year it was the "Evolution.zip" file at the end of this page:http://bioinf.gen.tcd.ie/~faresm/page12/page12.html

Thanks a million, exactly what I was looking for!

The chemistry department are sly.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Aoiferz

Does anyone know the procedure for showing a medical cert if I miss an SF Paleontology lab? As in, do I have to submit it to someone in particular or can I just show them in next weeks lab?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Aoiferz wrote: »
    Does anyone know the procedure for showing a medical cert if I miss an SF Paleontology lab? As in, do I have to submit it to someone in particular or can I just show them in next weeks lab?

Anytime I missed a practical I went to the Science Course Office and they just took a photocopy of it and filed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Aoiferz

amacachi wrote: »
    Anytime I missed a practical I went to the Science Course Office and they just took a photocopy of it and filed it.

Grand, cheers for that!

• Advertisement

Left my lab report booklet in the lab today by accident :( I'm in JF Physics with McCabe... if I email her is there any chance of being able to collect a new one?

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭dynamot

Just got a transfer into science and I'm going into a maths methods tutorial tomorrow without having been to any lectures :eek: Will I be able to inconspicuously blend into the background or is there a lot of interaction between instructor and students in these tutorials ( I mean science in general).

Thanks

dynamot wrote: »
    Just got a transfer into science and I'm going into a maths methods tutorial tomorrow without having been to any lectures :eek: Will I be able to inconspicuously blend into the background or is there a lot of interaction between instructor and students in these tutorials ( I mean science in general).

Thanks

I'm in JF Maths and Physics, the Maths ones depend on your demonstrator... you sit there doing a sheet of questions for 50 minutes, they'll help you if you have a problem otherwise they just walk around the room. In Physics we have smaller groups (mine is a total of 4 people) and we have much more one-to-one and communication than in Maths as we go over any issues or problems we have :)

Just tell them your situation, no one's going to hold it against you.

To be honest though, unless maths methods has changed a LOT in the last two years, it's going to be pretty simple stuff. As in Leaving Cert HL (if I recall correctly at this stage it should be split between algebra/differentiation and matrices/probability). Just in case you haven't looked, here's the current description page:
    http://www.maths.tcd.ie/pub/official/Courses11-12/MA1M01.html

Unless you had particular trouble with maths in the leaving cert, you shouldn't have any problems. And don't be afraid to ask the instructor questions, they're usually pretty friendly.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭kate.m

Thanks

How do you know when we get to turn up? I go to the lectures but haven't turned up to lab or anything as I'm technically not in science...yet anyway. Thanks if you know.

kate.m wrote: »
    How do you know when we get to turn up? I go to the lectures but haven't turned up to lab or anything as I'm technically not in science...yet anyway. Thanks if you know.

I would email the lab supervisors for whichever subject you have the lab in... our Physics one today had a few missing people who supposedly transferred, they were marked absent. You're only excused for one absence/bad report before you lose potential marks.

Tutorials also count towards your final mark and attendance (2% of our final grade in Maths) is kept. Email the lecturer in charge (for example, I have Timoney and Sint for MA1S11, Maths Methods have different lecturers), and they can tell you which slot to go to. You could check and see if your name is up outside the School of Maths on the ground floor of Hamilton or even turn up to one tutorial and ask to join.

Even if you're not a fully fledged Science student yet, it would be better to hand up work than to miss out on getting the best marks possible for your final grade :)

I have a biology lab tomorrow (Lab D from 2-5) and I was wondering if you have to have prior knowledge of the experiment before it can be carried out. I don't have a lab-book yet so if someone could give me the title I'd really appreciate it. At least then I'll have an idea of what I will be doing, thanks.

kate.m wrote: »

I just grabbed the general timetable and went to the lectures that applied to me. I haven't been assigned tutorials yet, and only one lab, so hopefully it will be sorted out soon :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Kontakt

I have a biology lab tomorrow (Lab D from 2-5) and I was wondering if you have to have prior knowledge of the experiment before it can be carried out. I don't have a lab-book yet so if someone could give me the title I'd really appreciate it. At least then I'll have an idea of what I will be doing, thanks.

You don't need to know anything before hand. It can help, but it's not necessary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭kate.m

Yeah I've seen the general timetable. But (according to my friend already in science) others are in labs/tutorials based on handing in a form with the classes they've picked?

I looked through the options and was thinking of doing maths, biology and chemistry but havent handed in the form or anything.

I've don't know who's in charge of labs or the classes :/
    Will I be getting a leter telling me who to see/classes to go to, or do I have to arrange this all myself?

I'll try find out tomorrow though! I'll ask my tutor if he knows who I should e-mail. :)

Advertisement