Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2013; Eat my dust Meno!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭RubyK

Best of luck with the new job :)

Nice pace this morning!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Best of luck in the new job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Great to see you running so strongly again x

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

Some great running there Claralara. Best of luck in the new job.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

I predict your race times are about to come tumbling down, you'll be pacing Digger by April!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Friday 21st October
    - 5 @ 8.39
    Early (easy!) run into work, another lovely morning for it and great to get the run done nice and early and in lieu of sitting on a stinky germ-filled Dublin bus! Will have to alternate between running in and running home though as it's a bit of a cheat going into town..:rolleyes:

Saturday 22nd October
    - 12.25 @ 8.47
    Met up with the group in the park for the last DCM LSR hurrah. Really really enjoyed this run and felt good and strong throughout. There was a good face-off up the Kyber at about 6 miles with Mr.Slow and the last mile was 7.56...oops :rolleyes: Didn't take any water or gels at all and didn't feel the need - though I know that won't apply next week. I'm not quite sure where this has come from but I'm not complaining. Really looking forward to DCM (and the post-race session!:D) now despite the not-so-wonderful last 20miler a few weeks ago. Oh well, what's done is done!

Sub 4 - Do It!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Mr Slow wrote: »
    Sub 4 - Do It!

Have to agree, now that you have got to the root of what the problem was, you are getting the results of what the previous training deserved. I expect to see you beside the 4hr balloons on the startline.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Lads, it sounds great in theory but let's not forget that 14 days ago, a 9.30minute mile was a struggle... I am feeling a lot better but I don't want to blow up after 16 miles and throw it away completely. I shall see how this week goes and how I feel on the day. ;)

I also need to make sure that all dogs and toddling people stay away from me over the next week before I commit to anything!!

claralara wrote: »
    Lads, it sounds great in theory but let's not forget that 14 days ago, a 9.30minute mile was a struggle... I am feeling a lot better but I don't want to blow up after 16 miles and throw it away completely. I shall see how this week goes and how I feel on the day. ;)

I also need to make sure that all dogs and toddling people stay away from me over the next week before I commit to anything!!

You just ran 12 miles average pace 8:44 and were travelling at sub 7 at the end and it was easy!!!

Come out of the fog, all that training is there - use it

• Advertisement

claralara wrote: »

Yeah but it was obviously the Iron that was holding you back, and that issue seems to be gone.

If you are not in sub 4 shape, you are damned close judging on recent paces. If you go out at sub 4 pace, the worst that will happen will be you coming in around 4:05-4:10. You'll know by halfway if the pace is too tough and can ease back.
    If you go out at 4:10 pace, the best that will happen is finishing between 4:05-4:10. You have nothing to lose really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

You just ran 12 miles average pace 8:44 and were travelling at sub 7 at the end and it was easy!!!

Come out of the fog, all that training is there - use it

It might have been a great confidence boost to have ran over 12 miles at quicker than planned marathon pace but I think it was a little crazy with 9 days to go.
    IMO you need to slow down all your remaining runs for the rest of the week and make sure you get your legs 100% fresh. If on race morning you're feeling good go for it as sub 4 appears to be within reach. Best of luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

I have to agree with all the guys, I think you should go for the sub 4 (if you feel good on the day).
    Having said that, I'm very slow to commit myself to a faster time than 3'59'59. I think I could and should aim for 3'55 but I'm nervous.
    Maybe we're both selling ourselves short. Who knows...
    It's great though that you're heading into taper week on a high.

Woddle wrote: »
    It might have been a great confidence boost to have ran over 12 miles at quicker than planned marathon pace but I think it was a little crazy with 9 days to go.
    IMO you need to slow down all your remaining runs for the rest of the week and make sure you get your legs 100% fresh. If on race morning you're feeling good go for it as sub 4 appears to be within reach. Best of luck with it.

D, I've run with Claralara a hundred times and it always had rough spots for her, yesterday she cruised to the end with plenty left in the tank. There's loads of endurance there and she's now holding the kind of speed her training deserves. IMO she'd be foolish not to go with the 4 hr pacers and I predict if she does they'll be sending her forward with miles to go!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

D, I've run with Claralara a hundred times and it always had rough spots for her, yesterday she cruised to the end with plenty left in the tank.

I've only being following what gets put in here, I think I've only ran with her once and that was back in the summer, so I have no doubt you have a better understanding of what she is capable of.
    By no means am I saying she can't go sub 4, I just don't understand with 9 days to go why anyone would run over 12 miles at sub 3:50 pace. Sounds like she's in great shape though but IMO should be saving those types of splits for marathon day and not 9 days out. My advice from here on would be save the legs and give it a good lash.

Woddle is absolutely right, no traiing plan will have you doing a run at that pace 8 days before a marathon. However, in this case it should serve as a confidence booster, so hopefully mentally it will do more good than physically it will do damage.

Still though CL listen to woddle- you should take next weeks runs very slow and easy and be as fresh as possible on the startline.

Woddle wrote: »
    I've only being following what gets put in here, I think I've only ran with her once and that was back in the summer, so I have no doubt you have a better understanding of what she is capable of.
    By no means am I saying she can't go sub 4, I just don't understand with 9 days to go why anyone would run over 12 miles at sub 3:50 pace. Sounds like she's in great shape though but IMO should be saving those types of splits for marathon day and not 9 days out. My advice from here on would be save the legs and give it a good lash.
    menoscemo wrote: »
    Woddle is absolutely right, no traiing plan will have you doing a run at that pace 8 days before a marathon. However, in this case it should serve as a confidence booster, so hopefully mentally it will do more good than physically it will do damage.

Still though CL listen to woddle- you should take next weeks runs very slow and easy and be as fresh as possible on the startline.

As Meno says it was a confidence booster, I agree all things being equal it wouldn't be recommended but I'd be surprised if it taxed her to any great degree and had she sorted the iron issue out 4 months ago would be easily capable of sub 3:45.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

For what it's worth, you sound in better shape than I did at this stage before Barcelona, and I broke 4 hours then...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭Emer911

Whatever pace you decide on CL, I've no doubt you're on for a good time. Good luck with the (easy) weeks taper and I'll be cheering next ye all week.

Most importantly, don't forget to enjoy it! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Begod, i had a laugh at the last couple of pages reading this.

Personally, it was great to see you running at a good clip while talking and smiling after been on a few lsrs with you where your confidence was rock bottom and you began to question yourself.

Oh yeah, Bruno girl, run the marathon at whatever pace you like and training plans are over rated by the way:D

• Advertisement

chinguetti wrote: »

Oh yeah, Bruno girl, run the marathon at whatever pace you like

The voice of reason spag bol.... ;)

I have witnessed, very much first hand, how you have pushed yourself CL through P&D 55 mpw plan despite clearly suffering from something, the tough 10 milers, the tougher 4 milers where you struggled to keep going at 9:45 pace!! It is great that you appear to have turned the corner (test results still due) but I'd just say that all of your training has been based on a 4.10 - 4.15 Marathon..... Who gives a sh1t whether you run 4.10, reduce risk and really enjoy the day!? Does running 3:59:59 have a massive influence on your life in the greater scheme of things right now?

You should, absolutely, make up your own mind - But, all of us who have run with you know you are capable of at least sub 3:45 when the time is right, but maybe that time is when you've had a perfect lead up to a marathon and not a worrying illness!?

Should you go for the sub 4, we'll be on the line to cheer you home, But if not, we'll still be on the line to cheer you home 10 mins later ;)

digger2d2 wrote: »
    Who gives a sh1t whether you run 4.10

I do........:Pduh!

Who gives a sh1t whether you run 4.10
    Meno and Brian, if they have money on it :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭RubyK

Nice work claralara. Mind yourself for the week and you'll be raring to go!

T

but I'd just say that all of your training has been based on a 4.10 - 4.15 Marathon..... Who gives a sh1t whether you run 4.10, reduce risk and really enjoy the day!?

I don't know about that. CL was doing LSRs all through the summer at 9:30-9:45 pace, which is really more indicative of a sub 4 marathon than 4:10-4;15.
    If she was training for 4:15 she was running too fast :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Claralara - The way things are going with all this attention and focus on you for the big day I'm expecting there to be a motorbike camera accompanying you the whole way round!:p

belcarra wrote: »
    Claralara - The way things are going with all this attention and focus on you for the big day I'm expecting there to be a motorbike camera accompanying you the whole way round!:p

She had some Dude with a helmet cam following her in Connemara, I think she'd have called the cops if she'd had her mobile on her! ;)

Meno and Brian, if they have money on it :pac:

''If'' ?

She had some Dude with a helmet cam following her in Connemara
    Was that a camera in your pants, or were you just pleased to see her? :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Was that a camera in your pants, or were you just pleased to see her? :pac:
    Zoom lens??

Advertisement