Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Latest cosmetic purchases and reviews

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,281 ✭✭✭Valentina

I have to recommend this gel wax if, like me, you find leg waxes extremely painful! The gel is so easy to use and it takes up even the teeniest of hairs. No more razors for me!

original.jpg

The packaging is very neat too - the lid is actually a little storage compartment for your spatula and removal strips. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Giselle wrote: »
    I bought plain white muslins in Tesco, six large cloths about a metre square for about five euro.

Bugger :( My local tesco only had these ones, would have hugely preferred them in white

039%5C5052003069039%5CIDShot_225x225.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭musical.x

I have to recommend this gel wax if, like me, you find leg waxes extremely painful! The gel is so easy to use and it takes up even the teeniest of hairs. No more razors for me!

The packaging is very neat too - the lid is actually a little storage compartment for your spatula and removal strips. :)
    how much is that? and how long does it last before you have to do it again? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

Ooh, definitely gonna try this! I always end up with cuts when I shave my legs and the crazily tidy side of me has fallen in love with its storage compartment!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,281 ✭✭✭Valentina

musical.x wrote: »
    how much is that? and how long does it last before you have to do it again? :)

I think it was about €15 in Boots, so it's dearer than the ordinary Veet wax but I think it is worth it!
    I just used it today for the first time so I will post back later on how long it lasts. The packaging says you get 4 weeks of smoothness ;)
    I did my lower leg and bikini line and er, bikini area and judging by how much wax I used I'd say I have enough to do 4 or 5 more again.
    Novella wrote: »
    Ooh, definitely gonna try this! I always end up with cuts when I shave my legs and the crazily tidy side of me has fallen in love with its storage compartment!

I think it's great! :D And so handy to have all your pieces together like that in one place. The spatula is plastic too so you don't have to wait ages to dry it like the old wooden ones. It also has a little heat sensor thingy in it to tell you if the wax is too hot.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭The Lovely Muffin

Does anyone here know how much M.A.C eyeshadow palettes are in Brown Thomas please?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭MiniSquish

You pay 7.50 for the palette and the eyeshadows are 11.50 each, I got two eyeshadows and the palette last week for 30.50 I think! :)

MiniSquish wrote: »
    You pay 7.50 for the palette and the eyeshadows are 11.50 each, I got two eyeshadows and the palette last week for 30.50 I think! :)
    Are the palettes better value than single eye shadows?

Sorry for all the questions, I've never bought M.A.C in BTs before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭MiniSquish

Well according to the sales girl and a girl I know that works on the Bare Minerals counter the palettes are better value as apparently they contain the same amount of product as if you were to buy the eye shadow singlely. I didn't want to buy it and kind of got bullied into it but in retrospect it was worth it. If I think about having all my MAC eyeshadows in palettes it would take up less space in my makeup bag, cost less- 11.50 for an eyshadow in the palette as opposed to 15 singlely and I think they are inter-changeable so you could make palettes based on colour schemes and add and take away.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭glitterbug86

The mac 4 pan palette is €7.50 and the 15 pan palette is €16.50. Refill eyeshadows are €11.50 and contain the same amount of product but work out cheaper.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭OakeyDokey

I recently purchased BB cream and I have seen some very negative feedback for it. I had a different experience while trying it out. I have combination skin so while some foundations make me look oily others can dry it out completely!

I didn't have high hopes for it but I'm glad I gave it a try because it proved to me a good investment for me. I hate being caked in foundation and using this made me feel light but still like I was covered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Giselle

I got this baby and the matching conditioner

http://www.boots.com/en/Umberto-Giannini-Incredible-Body-Shampoo-250ml_1234377/

and my hair was HUGE. I mean HUGE.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,419 ✭✭✭✭jokettle

Giselle wrote: »
    I got this baby and the matching conditioner

and my hair was HUGE. I mean HUGE.

What's your hair like naturally? I'd be interested in trying this but my own hair is quite fine and doesn't tend to hold volume from mousse too well....

jokettle wrote: »
    What's your hair like naturally? I'd be interested in trying this but my own hair is quite fine and doesn't tend to hold volume from mousse too well....

My hair is fine, but I have a lot of it. I don't usually manage to get the kind of volume in it that I did with this. I kept the conditioner to the bottom 3rd of my hair so it didn't weigh down the roots, used the dryer with my head upside down, and my hair was BIG!

I used a bit of Elnett to keep it up, and it lasted very big for a night out and was still full of body the next morning.

Great stuff so it is :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Dark Phoenix

Bought the no 7 hot cloth cleanser today id one of the vouchers so it was cheap enough and I saw loads of recommendations Here

I also got the urban decay sustainable pallette and the midnight emergency one in debenhams I wanted the mariposa one but didn't think I'd use as many of the colours

I also picked up nail varnish in boots 17 in forever and pink lemonade

Oh and a fab gold glitter nail polish for about three fifty in claires accessorise

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Dark Phoenix

Oh and a friend bought me the bobbi brown twin pack gel eyeliner for my birthday - love it

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭pencilsharp

Have gone a bit shopping mad on beauty bargains in the last few weeks!!

Was in England last week and I raided MUA counter in Superdrug!

I bought two eyeshadow pallettes: Heaven & Earth and Starry Night.

Both pallettes are really good, pigmentation is great, good variety of colours and they last all day and don't crease. Only thing is neither pallette has matte colours-I don't find that a problem cos I've loads of matte colours.

I've heard people compare Heaven & Earth to Urban Decays Naked Pallette. I was going to buy the Naked Pallette but when I got this and saw how good it was I decided not to, I have used Naked Pallette before and to be honest this works just as well for me at a fractionof the price! The best thing of all is they were only £4 each!

Also bought the matte foundation which is a new product to the line and as a promotion you get a free concealer. The foundation is really good for £2, only a choice of 3 colours though. I got shade 2 which was fine for me, it doesn't last all day, maybe about 5-hours before needing to be retouched but for £2 I won't complain! I didn't think much of the concealer, as far as I could see it only comes in one shade which was too light for me and it doesn't seem to cover much!

Also bought a Sleek Ultra shine lipstick in Liquer. The colour is nice but to be honest, its not great, it doesn't last long and the colour isn't as nice as it appears on the pack.

Have discovered Collection 2000 recently and so when I was in Boots I bought a few bits.

I bought the Shimmering Mosiac Glow Bronzer. I like it but you only need a teeny, tiny bit as it can tend to be a bit too shimmery! But I was away in Spain a few weeks ago and still have a bit of a tan so suits me now but I'd say when my tan fades I'll put it away till summer!

Also picked up Collection 2000 Shimmer Shades in No.2 which is beautiful! Because there are four different shades it suits most people I love the way when the four colours are mixed together they make a lovley peachy shade! And contrary to the name 'Shimmer Shades' there is no shimmery bits in sight!

Yesterday I needed a new dry shampoo and I was in this Discount store called Dealz (kind of like Pound Shop) in Blanchardstown where I picked up a dry shampoo called Derma V10 Tech Solution Dry mist Shampoo. used it this morning and it is amazing-it has given my hair that 'just washed' look and so much volume too!! I've never heard of it before and I've tried googling it but kind information about the brand but nothing about the actual shampoo!

Okay, so I have 2 more No. 7 vouchers but I have no idea what to use 'em on. I'm not a fan of the make up and I already own the Hot Cloth cleanser and every single No. 7 make up brush (all bought with vouchers, not good imo, except for the foundation brush which I actually would buy again!). Anyone any recommendations?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

What about the blushers? I know you said you're not a fan really but the Blushes are actually not bad, some nice bright colours too :) I have the Candy pink one and it's lovely :)

Don't know if they still do it but I also have a hair protect spray, it's a sun protect one, have to shake it to mix it up, it's not awful either. Other than that, wipes maybe? Always handy to have a packet of wipes and I think they work out at like a euro a pack with the vouchers too! :)

Novella, this No 7 bodywash is lovely, and there's a few other products in that range including a body oil and a body cream.

http://www.boots.com/en/No7-Blissful-Body-Wash-200ml_1015714/

The ones I've tried are really nice and with the voucher they'd be very cheap.

• Advertisement

That's funny, I was actually looking at the body oil the last time I was in Boots and I was thinkin', "Do I really need this?" but I totally don't wanna let these vouchers go to waste. Damn Boots and their tactics! It's just when you only have to spend a few euro it seems like nothing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭pushki

I got the protect and perfect beauty serum and I love it, I also love their moisturisers.

I also bought the protect and perfect eye cream last week and I haven't used it yet as I've yet to finish my other one but i'll keep ye posted, think the eye cream won a load of beauty awards.

Oh ya I said on this thread that I got a tub of Creme de La mer.
    Tbh I wasnt too gone on the smell, it smells like washing powder :(
    It was very moisturising and I definitely noticed my skin super soft, but I think it was too rich for me as I got a load of breakouts a few days later :(

I dont know if it was related to the cream but I stopped using it for a week but Im gonna start giving the creme de la mer another shot this week !

I'm still soo in love with my No. 7 hot cloth polish cleanser. :)

What about the blushers? I know you said you're not a fan really but the Blushes are actually not bad, some nice bright colours too :) I have the Candy pink one and it's lovely :)

Don't know if they still do it but I also have a hair protect spray, it's a sun protect one, have to shake it to mix it up, it's not awful either. Other than that, wipes maybe? Always handy to have a packet of wipes and I think they work out at like a euro a pack with the vouchers too! :)

Jeez, missed your post! I actually did have a No. 7 blusher before which I really loved until I dropped it and it turned into dust. :( That sounds like a good plan for one of the vouchers! :)

How'd you get on with your elf brushes btw?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

Great for the most part!! I posted about them here :)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=74791244&postcount=900

Great for the most part!! I posted about them here :)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=74791244&postcount=900

I feel the exact same about the stipple brush! :) I saw a lot of good reviews about it so I thought I was just being fussy! Glad I'm not alone!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

Okay, so I have 2 more No. 7 vouchers but I have no idea what to use 'em on. I'm not a fan of the make up and I already own the Hot Cloth cleanser and every single No. 7 make up brush (all bought with vouchers, not good imo, except for the foundation brush which I actually would buy again!). Anyone any recommendations?

The nail varnish is unreal!

Their mascaras, amazing eyes pencils, metallic eyes pencils and trio eye shadows are fab I think.

I wore the brown pencil recently and forgot to take it off before bed, got up the next day and it hadn't budged at all. The pencils are hard to get off I find, I usually have to use babyoil to get them off lol.

The pencils work out around €2 with the vouchers :)

I'd avoid the nail varnish if I were you. I found it to be absolutely awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

I'd avoid the nail varnish if I were you. I found it to be absolutely awful.

Why so?

Jeez, missed your post! I actually did have a No. 7 blusher before which I really loved until I dropped it and it turned into dust. :( That sounds like a good plan for one of the vouchers! :)

How'd you get on with your elf brushes btw?

I haven't tried it, but they also do a loose minerals blush that might be worth investigating.

• Advertisement

SarahBeep! wrote: »
    Why so?
    I found them to be gloopy and they took ages to dry.

I had about 10 of them and wasn't impressed with any of them, found them a waste of money.

I have cheaper polishes which are far better and cost a lot less than No.7. I certainly wouldn't pay €9 for a No.7 nail polish, to be honest, I wouldn't even pay €2 for them now considering how bad they are and I know I can get other polishes (cheaper and more expensive) that are worth the money.

Advertisement