Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Latest cosmetic purchases and reviews

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Dark Phoenix

Totally agree purple bobbin the last number seven nail polish I bought went in the bin that night it was just awful!! Gloopy watery didn't dry smudged everywhere ugh I've tried a few before and if you can get them on and dry the wear away so fast as well

Bought the hot cloth cleanser with my voucher cheers guys for the recommendations I love it so far. I also bought the Face wipes as let's face it I will always find a use for them!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

Thanks a mil for all the advice, guys :) Will let you know tomorrow what I pick up! (If I manage to leave my house with all this flooding that is!)

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Hedwig

I have one of the No7 vouchers to use before saturday and I'm looking for a new lipstick so I was wondering has anyone bought a No7 one before? Are they any good/good staying power, etc.?

Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭The Lovely Muffin

Picked up this Neutrogena balm in Dunnes today for around €4 (its normally around €9 I think).

Comfort-Balm-(HR)_592x888.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭musical.x

bought this today. really hope it works!
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRlZN248l0hvBZdxz9aS3bGUwdnN7Gpq-BqNBl1pxA65BKTEUnM7A

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Got my sample of Garnier BB cream in the post this morning. I just had to get a picture. This is the palest shade. LOL.

25u35nd.jpg

Apart from the colour, I actually liked the texture of it. I'd love for them to come out with paler shades! I gave the rest of the samples to my mam so I'll see how she gets on with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭lindtee

^^^^Looks like I'm going to be disappointed with my bb sample too:(

Loving the much recommended no. 7 hot cloth cleanser though and must remind myself to get the also much recommended Vo5 concentrate too!! I never remember when out and it looks like it can't be gotten online.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

I love the no.7 hot cloth cleanser :D I have only used it once.... but me skin feels sooooooo soft!
    One thing though, does anyone feel the cloth loses heat very quickly? Do I have to use very hot water??

(Not no.7's fault like, blame physics! :P)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Twee. wrote: »
    Got my sample of Garnier BB cream in the post this morning. I just had to get a picture. This is the palest shade. LOL.

eep! Thanks for the warning shot, I got my sample in the post this morning and was going to trial run it before I went out after work cos had forgotten makeup. Disaster avoided!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

I was disappointed with it too! It was the total wrong shade (same problem as Twee) and it gave zero coverage :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭pushki

I was wondering if anyone has tried Laura Mercier secret camoflage , I've heard great reviews on it and just wondering if its all its cracked up to be!

Yup I'm definitely disappointed! If they're so popular in the Asian market I'm sure there are some paler colours available online from different brands, though they may be more yellow toned than pink tones.

But as I said I did like the consistency of the product and apart from the colour, it left a nice enough finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,174 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

SarahBeep! wrote: »
    I love the no.7 hot cloth cleanser :D I have only used it once.... but me skin feels sooooooo soft!
    One thing though, does anyone feel the cloth loses heat very quickly? Do I have to use very hot water??

I found it gets cool a bit quickly too because the material is quite thin. I use it with a normal facecloth most of the time (gently!), they stay hot for longer. I don't know if that has the same exfoliating effect though. My skin still feels soft anyway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭Dublin141

Yup I'm definitely disappointed! If they're so popular in the Asian market I'm sure there are some paler colours available online from different brands, though they may be more yellow toned than pink tones.

But as I said I did like the consistency of the product and apart from the colour, it left a nice enough finish.

I've been using Asian BB creams lately. In comparison, I really wouldn't consider the Garnier one a BB cream at all.

The Missha ones in the shade 13 are literally perfect for my skin. They're very pale, and I wouldn't wear them without blusher. I've never found a foundation that matches my skin as well though. And I swear, any blemishes on my skin seem to heal much quicker now. The Perfect Cover one is about $15 on eBay. Right now, I'm using the M Signature one which is a little more expensive. There are full coverage ones like from Lioele, but I haven't tried any of those. I'm probably going to try the actual foundation from Missha too.

I have a deep, passionate love for Asian cosmetics and skincare though, so excuse the enthusiasm. :o

And, sort of on topic, my latest cosmetic purchases were from Sasa.com, so mostly Asian face masks. Spookily fast shipping.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭Dublin141

I use the Liz Earle hot cloth polish cleanser thingy. I love it, but I'm going to have to try the Boots version now to compare. See, this is why I haven't visited here in a while. Every time I do, I decide to buy something new. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Anyone else finding the Garnier BB cream smells quite strongly of black tea on their face? Maybe I'm going mental but it bangs of it to me. Eitherway it's way too strongly scented for me, can't stand strong smelling makeup or facecreams

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭booboo88

charles worthington salon at home kit......

strength and repair....its just feckin brilliant...for ages my ends were dry and no matter how much conditioner i used i couldnt sort it out. but this worked a bloody treat :)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Just got gifted a Lancome Hydra Zen Neurocalm gift set as an early birthday present. Very happy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 195 ✭✭bigtuna

SarahBeep! wrote: »

I got it yesterday after all the raving here. I really liked it. My skin was lovely and soft. I used very hot water but it does cool quickly.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

Yeah I use a bog standard facecloth with the No.7 hot cleanser. I got my BB samples too, I have sallow enough skin and am only a few weeks back from mexico and the lightest shade matches my skintone perfectly, as reference I use NW25 from MAC.

I also picked up the soap and glory concealer and their mascara, the mascara is good for a day look, a lot of product comes out with the brush though. I haven't had any smudging or flaking though, I had been trying Maybeline's cat yes, but the brush is a bit flimsy for me and it smells very chemical.
    The concealer is meh, it's ok but is €14 and the packaging is huge!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭suzie987

OMG!!! Can't beleive I only just stumbled on this thread today - and am kinda wishing I hadn't! Just from glancing through the last couple of pages I definitely want to get the No. 7 Radiance Boosting cleanser and Benefit's They're Real Mascara also looks very tempting.

So my most recent purchased were from Urban Decay. I got:

The Naked Palette
    P267200_hero.jpg

Afterglow Glide On Cheek Tint in Crush:
    Urban-Decay-Afterglow-Cheek-Tint-Crush.jpg

I could not say enough about the Naked Palette. To be honest I was never one for wearing eye shadow because I have hooded eyes and could never get it to look right. It always looked like a 14 year olds make up. Naked palette has changed this! I wear eyeshadow every day now - even to work! And everyone has been complementing my eyes. Plus it is so popular there are loads of video tutorials on youtube! I LOVE it!!

I like the colour of the blush because that kind of really bright pink suits my complexion but it is a gel consistency (can't think of right word?) and I much prefer powder blushes. You can remove excess powder from the brush but if you have too much of the UD blush on the brush it is very hard to not make yourself look like Bosco. :o

What kind of brush are you using? For a cream blush I just use my fingers! I would rub index and middle finger in the blush then dab excess on the back of my hand, then gently dab it on my face. It's better to start off very light and then build up.

The Mac 188 is a stippling that is meant to be good for cream blush.

mac_188_brush.jpg

I am so in love with the Naked as well, best value product I've ever bought!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭chickenbutt

Picked up a few things this past week...

259iqz9.png
    Makeup Forever Rouge Artist Intense #35 (described as satin blue raspberry) - I have never used a mufe lipstick before so I thought I'd give this a shot. I picked it from their color wheel. It's a lot more pink than I'd normally go for but I think it does look good and will be saving it for special nights/occasions :)

Maybelline-Gel-Liner-Package1.jpg
    I have only ever used pencil and liquid eyeliners, so I thought I'd give this a shot and I love it! It's soo black and so easy to apply. I've had it on now for 8+ hrs and still looks fresh.

And out of curiosity/boredom I got myself a cheap pair of fake eyelashes and a thing of Duo glue... I've never done fake eyelashes before and wouldn't normally, but I'm tempted to see if I could actually figure it out! I think it'd be fun for nights out... Anybody have any tips/hints?? I'm desperate to try it out and not look ridiculous! :o

I'm a usually disaster at lashes, but have learned a few tricks from friends! Firstly, when you take them from the pack, they'll be a bit sticky already, so do a trial run. You may need to trim the end off if the strip is too long for your eye. Secondly, you only need a little bit of glue. I tend to put a dollop on one end and just spread it across the lash. Then you leave it for a minute to go "tacky" if you get me, before applying the lash. Less glue mess!

I see a lot of Youtube tutorials where they put them on with a tweezers, but that has yet to work for me! I put a mirror on the counter and look down into it when putting a strip on. Has been ok so far! I need to practice though because I love the look they give but never leave enough time to put them on, or forget to bring them to my friends' house to do them for me :p

The Duo glue is great, used it on Saturday night for my lashes and little jewel things I stuck on my face :D

I'm a usually disaster at lashes, but have learned a few tricks from friends! Firstly, when you take them from the pack, they'll be a bit sticky already, so do a trial run. You may need to trim the end off if the strip is too long for your eye. Secondly, you only need a little bit of glue. I tend to put a dollop on one end and just spread it across the lash. Then you leave it for a minute to go "tacky" if you get me, before applying the lash. Less glue mess!

I see a lot of Youtube tutorials where they put them on with a tweezers, but that has yet to work for me! I put a mirror on the counter and look down into it when putting a strip on. Has been ok so far! I need to practice though because I love the look they give but never leave enough time to put them on, or forget to bring them to my friends' house to do them for me :p

The Duo glue is great, used it on Saturday night for my lashes and little jewel things I stuck on my face :D

I'm going to try that mirror trick! I was having a hard time seeing what I was doing. Yeah, the Youtube tutorials make it look so easy which is why I thought I'd give it a go, but I'm not getting the hang of it quite yet. I used tweezers like they did but it wasn't helping much... Going to have a crack at it now with those tips, thanks!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭dancingqueen

I have been trying to change my skincare stuff for ages now - been blagging samples all over the place, nothing was doing anything for me; including Shiseido (disappointment - and so glad I decided against spending €48 on their moisturiser and got a sample instead) and I bought a Burt's Bees mini kit that will end up on my boyfriend's face cos I didn't like that either... :mad:

I got yesterday, Sanctuary products in Boots - I did the unthinkable and bought 3 full size products. Normally when I do this it ends in disaster but I like how it feels on my skin, smells very fruity and makes the skin soft, as opposed to feeling dried out. Exfoliator included... felt lovely afterwards! The cream moisturised without leaving my skin feeling oily. Big change for me. It was 3 for 2 though!!

5703436436_c448bd0a60.jpg

P9060248.JPG
    (Didnt buy the toner but only pic that would work!)

5517708235_ebfce4da8b.jpg

What kind of brush are you using? For a cream blush I just use my fingers! I would rub index and middle finger in the blush then dab excess on the back of my hand, then gently dab it on my face. It's better to start off very light and then build up.

The Mac 188 is a stippling that is meant to be good for cream blush.

mac_188_brush.jpg

I am so in love with the Naked as well, best value product I've ever bought!

I am using a MAC countour brush. That was always the brush I used for blusher. I suppose I could try put it on with my fingers and see how that goes. Bit messy though. . .

I use the MAC stippling brush for my foundation. Was very unhappy with it initially because so many hairs came out and stuck to my face but I like it now. Gives a nice natural, even look for foundation.

And out of curiosity/boredom I got myself a cheap pair of fake eyelashes and a thing of Duo glue... I've never done fake eyelashes before and wouldn't normally, but I'm tempted to see if I could actually figure it out! I think it'd be fun for nights out... Anybody have any tips/hints?? I'm desperate to try it out and not look ridiculous! :o

The Duo glue it great and I would definitely advise you to put on glue but leave it a minute of two to go tacky as described above. I usually put a little glue on the back of my hand and 'dip' the lashes into the glue. Then leave it go tacky. Now sometimes when I put them on you can still see all the white glue - but don't worry about this it all dries clear! Unfortunately I have one eye with very poor eyesight so I usually get one lash on very easily but the other one takes a lot more work as I cannot see it so I have to go by feel.

I am not sure if someone else said above but I also find it helpful to place a mirror flat on a table and look down and put on lashes like this. With a bit of persistence you will get there! I am finding the liquid eyeliner tricky! I have only just started wearing eyeliner on top lashes - it can be a bit hit and miss!!!

suzie987 wrote: »
    I am using a MAC countour brush. That was always the brush I used for blusher. I suppose I could try put it on with my fingers and see how that goes. Bit messy though. . .

I use the MAC stippling brush for my foundation. Was very unhappy with it initially because so many hairs came out and stuck to my face but I like it now. Gives a nice natural, even look for foundation.

The 188 is smaller than the 187 for foundation, so it's easier for blusher. Brilliant for foundation, I use it as well!

Yeah the fingers can be a little messy for sure! My problem when using a normal blusher brush was that it picked up way too much product and was too hard to blend and spread. Maybe keep going with the brush, but dab off the excess on your hand or a tissue for more colour control.

• Advertisement

suzie987 wrote: »
    The Duo glue it great and I would definitely advise you to put on glue but leave it a minute of two to go tacky as described above. I usually put a little glue on the back of my hand and 'dip' the lashes into the glue. Then leave it go tacky. Now sometimes when I put them on you can still see all the white glue - but don't worry about this it all dries clear! Unfortunately I have one eye with very poor eyesight so I usually get one lash on very easily but the other one takes a lot more work as I cannot see it so I have to go by feel.

I am not sure if someone else said above but I also find it helpful to place a mirror flat on a table and look down and put on lashes like this. With a bit of persistence you will get there! I am finding the liquid eyeliner tricky! I have only just started wearing eyeliner on top lashes - it can be a bit hit and miss!!!

Thanks for all the tips ladies! I practiced again last night - one eye didn't go but the other looked really good! Yay I'm excited now to go for it on Saturday night :D (if i get both lashes on of course!) The mirror trick really helped me out. I don't know how people put them on with tweezers though, I used my fingers and pushed them in with a cotton bud.

Advertisement