Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter 2011/2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭jo06555

Wow! Where was that ?

Not sure if serious :confused: Waterford :)

Ah sure snow will avoid Waterford like the plague again this year 3 days we got last year and then it went around us each time :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,194 ✭✭✭highdef

JJJJNR wrote: »
    Had the car alert me for the first time that the temp hit 4c, passing roundwood this morning. :D

I'm guessing you drive a newish Ford Focus so.....or some sort of newish Ford ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

I recorded first sub 0 temp of the season after 5am this morning with -1.1c :D

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭NIALL D

Villain wrote: »

how high up are you ??? must be fairly high ???

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Wouldnt suprise me, there was frost on the ground near Naas last night.

I had no way of telling the temp as some bollocks had snipped the top off my car aerial which means no temp sensor :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,011 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

BX 19 wrote: »

I had no way of telling the temp as some bollocks had snipped the top off my car aerial which means no temp sensor :(

I have an aerial tip for sale as it happens ! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

NIALL D wrote: »
    how high up are you ??? must be fairly high ???

Nope not high at all, in a frost hollow. I recorded -17.7c in January 2010

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Lucreto

BX 19 wrote: »

I live near the ball in Naas and we didn't get any frost. It was 3.6c last night at its coldest.

Lucreto wrote: »
    I live near the ball in Naas and we didn't get any frost. It was 3.6c last night at its coldest.

the legend of a ball !!!! :D:)

NIALL D wrote: »
    the legend of a ball !!!! :D:)

I live near it too, its official name is the road traffic accident testicle ! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Nope not high at all, in a frost hollow. I recorded -17.7c in January 2010

VILLAIN IS BACK!....... #OfficialyWinterTime :D

t|nt|n wrote: »
    I live near it too, its official name is the road traffic accident testicle ! :pac:

haha , i always remember , when you see the ball , your near dublin !!! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Forum Monkey

When will the snow hit Meath??

• Registered Users Posts: 10,513 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

What snow are you talking about?

Its not really worth asking that because nobody knows !

Its all part of the excitement ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

Grass minimum temperatures this morning:

Oak Park, Gurteen -2 °C
    Shannon Airport -1 °C
    Ballyhaise, Johnstown Castle 0 °C

• Registered Users Posts: 5,496 ✭✭✭bb1234567

winters a'comin:D

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

178601.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭tylercollins

Donegal post man has finally gave his predictions...
    Ireland’s most famous amateur weatherman has said there is 'SNOW WAY' Donegal is going to be plunged into artic-like conditions this winter.

Postman Michael Gallagher has successfully predicted snowfalls for the last number of years from his base in the hills of Donegal.

But Michael, from Glenfin, says he simply can’t understand why everyone is saying the country is going to be covered in snow and freezing conditions for months on end.

“I simply don’t know where these forecasts are coming form. I can see no signs of it.

“We might have a little snow but I don’t think it’s going to be as bad as the past couple of years.

“I can see us getting plenty of rain and frost but I can’t see the huge falls of snow and freezing temperatures which everyone seems to be predicting,” he said.

Michael, who famously forced bookmaker Paddy Power to pay out €70,000 in early bets after predicting a white Christmas two years ago, says there will be plenty of storms.

Only recently he was approached by a customer while doing his rounds who had found a frog behind a flowerpot.

“When we lifted the flowerpot the frog just wouldn’t move. I just knew that was a bad sign.

“A couple of days later we had those bad storms. The frog knew it was going to be bad and didn’t plan on moving anywhere,” said Michael.

Apart from Michael, another hugely-respected weatherman who does not think we are going to shiver too much this winter is Peter O’Donnell from www.irishweatheronline.com.

He said January next could be the coldest month but it is unlikely to be as bad as last year.

"In general, this is not expected to be as dramatic as last year, and the severe cold is not expected to continue through most of December.

“There may be roughly equal spells of mild and cold weather with strong winds, some heavy rainfalls and some snow or ice."

Ends

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭Calibos

I think Peter O'Donnell just wants to get his forecasts to everyone and he has no qualms about using subterfuge to do it. He uses his MT Cranium alter ego to get the message across to the rationalists and his Donegal Postman alter ego to get the message across to the arty farty, airy fairy, hippy, healing crystal holistic wellness alternative dreadlocked brigade. Whatever works right??

I just find it funny that we never get the Postmans winter forecast till after MT Craniums although I am sure the postman would deny that he has a computer or can use the internet. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Blizzard 2010

Donegal post man has finally gave his predictions...

Same Fellow predicted a warm summer.:eek: Wouldnt believe a word he says:D Like everyone else cluching at straws

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

0.8 in KK city this morning, was a good bit milder here though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Kippure

Update from James madden.

http://www.exactaweather.com/UK_Long_Range_Forecast.html

A mild winter on the cards?

This winter certainly won't be remembered or be authenticated as being mild, neither will it be dominated by periods of mild weather. Some moderation at times, but the overall theme for this winter will be very cold and snowy across many parts of the UK.

As in my last update on the 2nd September 2011.

I expect the most frequent and heavy snowfalls to occur across many parts of the UK during NOVEMBER, DECEMBER, and JANUARY at present.

THIS STILL STANDS!

I initially expect frequent and significant snowfalls across many northern regions and Scotland throughout this winter. Any earlier snowfall is likely to be more confined to northern and western parts of the UK, although large scale low pressure systems also offer the potential for significant snowfalls to many parts of the UK.

THIS STILL STANDS!

I also expect NOVEMBER, DECEMBER, JANUARY, and FEBRUARY to feature largely below-average temperatures across many parts of the UK, it is likely that temperature and snowfall records will be broken within this defined time frame.

THIS STILL STANDS!

This is a logical conclusion based on the parameters I consider within my forecasts, any snowfall or temperature records broken within this defined time frame (November to February) or for the winter as a whole will be posted accordingly.

November 2011

Colder than average

Regions likely to be worst affected from snow in November: Scotland, N Ireland, North East, North West, Yorkshire, Midlands, East.

December 2011

Colder than average

Regions likely to be worst affected from snow in December: Scotland, North East, North West, Yorkshire, Midlands, East.

January 2012

Colder than average

Regions likely to be worst affected from snow in January: Scotland, N Ireland, North East, North West, Yorkshire.

February 2012

Colder than average

Regions likely to be worst affected from snow in February: Scotland, N Ireland, North East, North West.

James Madden (UK Long Range Forecaster)

ExactaWeather.com

Published: 19th October 2011 (14:45) BST

Content copyright © 2010-2011. Exacta Weather. All rights reserved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Same Fellow predicted a warm summer.:eek: Wouldnt believe a word he says:D Like everyone else cluching at straws

Not to mention the fact that there has already been snow on the hills in Donegal and its only mid-october

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

I haven't been excited about this upcoming winter really, but today that changed.

Beautiful day for a walk here today. The air felt crisper and cooler, you could really feel the seasonal change in the air.

I know MT's and some other forecasts are not predicting an epic winter, or anything like what we had for the last couple of years but even so we are still soon entering the time of year when those magical winter weather events can happen, maybe even against the odds. ;)

And anyway, even if we don't get anything too memorable this year, I would be very surprised if we don't at least see some delicious winter charts in FI in the models. It's great fun in the winter months to watch the models roll out and imagine the type of weather those fantasy charts might bring. The old rollercoaster!

I took a look again at the old charts from 64, 47, and 1917. Great for getting in the mood for winter weather watching. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Lucreto

Didn't he also say we would have snow on St. Patricks day?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Kippure

With the La Nina starting up now,and it was predicted to start up, way back in May its next winter we,d want to be worried about...but thats a long way off.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,692 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Kippure wrote: »
    Update from James madden.

http://www.exactaweather.com/UK_Long_Range_Forecast.html

A mild winter on the cards?

This winter certainly won't be remembered or be authenticated as being mild, neither will it be dominated by periods of mild weather. Some moderation at times, but the overall theme for this winter will be very cold and snowy across many parts of the UK.

As in my last update on the 2nd September 2011.

I expect the most frequent and heavy snowfalls to occur across many parts of the UK during NOVEMBER, DECEMBER, and JANUARY at present.

THIS STILL STANDS!

I initially expect frequent and significant snowfalls across many northern regions and Scotland throughout this winter. Any earlier snowfall is likely to be more confined to northern and western parts of the UK, although large scale low pressure systems also offer the potential for significant snowfalls to many parts of the UK.

THIS STILL STANDS!

I also expect NOVEMBER, DECEMBER, JANUARY, and FEBRUARY to feature largely below-average temperatures across many parts of the UK, it is likely that temperature and snowfall records will be broken within this defined time frame.

THIS STILL STANDS!

This is a logical conclusion based on the parameters I consider within my forecasts, any snowfall or temperature records broken within this defined time frame (November to February) or for the winter as a whole will be posted accordingly.

November 2011

Colder than average

Regions likely to be worst affected from snow in November: Scotland, N Ireland, North East, North West, Yorkshire, Midlands, East.

December 2011

Colder than average

Regions likely to be worst affected from snow in December: Scotland, North East, North West, Yorkshire, Midlands, East.

January 2012

Colder than average

Regions likely to be worst affected from snow in January: Scotland, N Ireland, North East, North West, Yorkshire.

February 2012

Colder than average

Regions likely to be worst affected from snow in February: Scotland, N Ireland, North East, North West.

James Madden (UK Long Range Forecaster)

ExactaWeather.com

Published: 19th October 2011 (14:45) BST

Content copyright © 2010-2011. Exacta Weather. All rights reserved.

He seems to be out on his own now. I 'm having difficulty understanding why he thinks February will be below average, when most forecasts seem to be of the view February will be trending mild to very mild due to an active La Nina.

I fear if we do get a strong la nina this year, snow lovers maybe ruing good charts appearing two month too late in March. I've resigned myself to this winter being a crappy one for snow- at least relative to what we've experienced in recent times.

Still it will be some consolation if we can get a couple of humdinger storms this winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Have you got a link for that?
    Often posters on here make statements like that and then when I ask them for a link they realise it wasn't him they were talking about afterall.
    I wasn't aware he made a prediction for the summer past.

Anyways the postmans prediction just confirms to me that MT and Postman are either working together or they are the same person. Their predictions have been pretty much the same over the past year :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,692 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Kippure wrote: »
    With the La Nina starting up now,and it was predicted to start up, way back in May its next winter we,d want to be worried about...but thats a long way off.

I recall Ian Stuart(?) over on netweather back in November 2009 telling people why they could all forget about a cold winter due to the El Nino of that year. Yet we all know what happened next. Sunspots were at near record lows at the time.
    So it seems the increase in solar activity, albeit, not at anything like the level it should be, is the main thing to be concerned about.
    Although others believe it has not increased enough to prevent the blocking we've become used to.

This is worth a read: http://www.landscheidt.info/?q=node/224&page=1

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement