Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter 2011/2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭John.Icy

Just to everyone thinking the models are indicative of what's to come this winter, I remind you of the November 4th weather last year.

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/archive/2010/brack/bracka20101105.gif

PS; Image is to big, so the link will suffice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

John.Icy wrote: »
    Just to everyone thinking the models are indicative of what's to come this winter, I remind you of the November 1st weather last year.

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/archive/2010/brack/bracka20101105.gif

PS; Image is to big, so the link will suffice.

That's from November 4th!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭John.Icy

Su Campu wrote: »
    That's from November 4th!

Woops! :pac: What I meant still stands :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

For what its worth the latest ECM seasonal forecast suggest a dryer than normal Dec Jan Feb with higher than average pressure.

PRESSURE.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Kippure

For all you crazy snow fans out there you,ve got to watch the Pressure charts like the GFS or Ecm and start picking up on patterns. So far our weather pattern is similiar to last Autumn. Which is good. ONce the Hurricane season peaks start to watch where the high starts to settle. Our last winter was due to high pressure out to our west and steering down cold north easterlies. I,m picking up on a similiar pattern again. When theres no low,s in the atlantic high pressure so far has wanted to develop south of Greenland. Keep watching...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

redsunset wrote: »
    For what its worth the latest ECM seasonal forecast suggest a dryer than normal Dec Jan Feb with higher than average pressure.

PRESSURE.jpg

If that forecast was to happen it would make it the 4th dry winter in a row.

Area,s of interest for people to watch over the winter.

sstanom101010no22010a.gif

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

sstanom111009no12011b.gif

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭NIALL D

besides the part in the box , it looks cooler this year ???

NIALL D wrote: »
    besides the part in the box , it looks cooler this year ???

The northern Hemisphere is alot colder then last year already regarding sst,s. This maybe a lag effect from last winter, but it didnt really warm up this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭MiNdGaM3

I find the new styled map portrays the SSTAs more accurately, though unfortunately, shows just how mild the N. Atlantic is.

sst_anom_new.gif

• Advertisement

With that "warm" North Atlantic it appears to be shaping up to be a repeat of 2009-10 with an extremly wet October & November, and we all know what happened in January!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,648 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

bb1234567 wrote: »
    whats lancheit studies? and i thought blocking highs gave very cold weather and easterly winds ?

It's a study of solar activity by Theodor Landscheidt. He predicts a period of very low solar activity in the years to come, perhaps peaking in 2030. If he is correct then some of us may see similar conditions to the previous two winters in the years ahead.

http://ktwop.wordpress.com/2011/06/15/major-drop-in-solar-activity-predicted-landscheidt-minimum-is-upon-us-and-a-mini-ice-age-is-imminent/

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭oisingeogho

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

Take that with a pinch of salt

• Registered Users Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭YouTookMyName

Please let there be no/little snow this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

Who are you actually pleading too for little or no snow?

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭NIALL D

feet of it soon hopefully..............

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭WalterMitty

Boo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭YouTookMyName

delw wrote: »
    Who are you actually pleading too for little or no snow?

The weather gods dude.....

Booked to fly into Dublin from the UK on dec19th. Dreading it.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭only one

November 2011

November: Variable, chilly at times

The last month of autumn will be characterised by mild conditions vying for supremacy with chillier weather. The UK and Eire will experience some breezy and wet passages, but also some drier weather. Northern and some western regions of both Britain and Ireland are likely to experience most of the inclement conditions. Embedded within the more unsettled spells there is a hint of some sleet or wet snow episodes across parts of northern and perhaps upland western Britain – the greatest likelihood for this scenario is towards the end of the month. The South and East generally will be the sunniest. Any clear passages by day across the British Isles will lead to the formation of overnight frost and local fog. PWS expects November for most regions to approach the long-term average for rainfall. It will begin to feel chilly at times, especially in late month, though temperatures overall will be not be far off the norm. Conclusively there is scant evidence for the sustained cold and snow that, curiously, was reported by some UK newspapers during September.

Ray Anthony
    Chief Assistant Forecaster
    Sunday October 23rd 2011

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Your telling us you would prefer this constant grey monsoon instead ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,437 ✭✭✭touts

only one wrote: »
    November 2011

November: Variable, chilly at times

The last month of autumn will be characterised by mild conditions vying for supremacy with chillier weather. The UK and Eire will experience some breezy and wet passages, but also some drier weather. Northern and some western regions of both Britain and Ireland are likely to experience most of the inclement conditions. Embedded within the more unsettled spells there is a hint of some sleet or wet snow episodes across parts of northern and perhaps upland western Britain – the greatest likelihood for this scenario is towards the end of the month. The South and East generally will be the sunniest. Any clear passages by day across the British Isles will lead to the formation of overnight frost and local fog. PWS expects November for most regions to approach the long-term average for rainfall. It will begin to feel chilly at times, especially in late month, though temperatures overall will be not be far off the norm. Conclusively there is scant evidence for the sustained cold and snow that, curiously, was reported by some UK newspapers during September.

Ray Anthony
    Chief Assistant Forecaster
    Sunday October 23rd 2011

Well that means I can delay the winter tyres for at least a month :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭snowstreams

touts wrote: »
    Well that means I can delay the winter tyres for at least a month :)

Or buy snow socks now while they are still cheap?!

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭konman

Or buy snow socks now while they are still cheap?!

Any info on prices and availability in galway of the snowsocks?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭snowstreams

konman wrote: »

I dont know if they are on sale in the shops yet in galway. I got some in the fastfit in Liosbaun estate last year. I gave them to friends living in Dublin because Dublin had none left in all shops over the city!

Since its still so early though you could easily order them cheaply off the internet from ebay etc.
    205-55-R17-Pair-Bottari-GripSock-SnowSock-SnowChain-Snow-Tyre-Cover-Snow-Socks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

I'm going to throw this one out, anyone remember the winters of 2000-2003? The times of heavy rainfall and resultant floods(2000 & 2002) with the odd storm from the Atlantic thrown in. Think 2005 was the same.

So far I think the past month have been similar in conditions to back then, certainly mild nights and heavy rainfall. If memory is correct, October and November were similar wet and mild months in 2000 & 2002. And as November is coming soon, that was when the worst rain hit.

October 2010 was a colder and perhaps drier month than then. It certainly feels alot warmer this October than last year as I had the fire on for a few days in October '09 and haven't had to need to put it on yet! http://www.met.ie/climate/monthly-summary.asp

Has anyone got past data on the weather for Oct/Nov for the year 2002 for example? Curious as to the pattern.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭ff9999

Give me snow over this horrible rain anyday:(

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Blizzard 2010

konman wrote: »
    :eek:They are a complete waste of money. I bought a set from Micksgarage.ie last november. They didnt last a forthnight. you have to take them off each time after you use them. the minute you hit clear road you have to take them off, they tear very easily. You can get snow chain spray from Amazon which is far easier to use and works very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Blizzard 2010

I dont know if they are on sale in the shops yet in galway. I got some in the fastfit in Liosbaun estate last year. I gave them to friends living in Dublin because Dublin had none left in all shops over the city!

Since its still so early though you could easily order them cheaply off the internet from ebay etc.
    205-55-R17-Pair-Bottari-GripSock-SnowSock-SnowChain-Snow-Tyre-Cover-Snow-Socks
    :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,494 ✭✭✭bb1234567

if only all this rain in dublin was snow:( sure we could easily have 4 /5 feet of snow by now:D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement