Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

US Sports Thread (NBA, NCAA, MBL, NHL, NFL, etc.)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭skeleton_boy

Lions up 3 with 2.30 left. Does -3 become a push if it ends this way?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

Yep.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭skeleton_boy

Though so much just wanted to be sure. I'll take that all things considered

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭AdrianII

bills 31 - pats 31 sounds like a cracker

giants and eagles total points was 45 - i had 15 on over 46.5 :(

no more bets for a while

Jets down a TD. I sorta fancied Oakland to win, but of course I didn't bet on it. Long way to go yet though.

• Advertisement

bills about to win against the pats (if field goal is good)

Bills beat Pats 34 -31

Eire-Dearg wrote: »
    Jets down a TD. I sorta fancied Oakland to win, but of course I didn't bet on it. Long way to go yet though.

level now, sanchez with a run in

EDIT
    Jets up by 7 now LT

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

Great to see a team smart enough to take some kneels and kick the FG with no time on the clock. That TD that went under review probably got them the win. Brady in a 2 min drill would be difficult to stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭CriticEyes

Washington Redskins At Dallas Cowboys

Im thinking of taking Dallas -3. What ye all think?

• Advertisement

What worries me about the Cowboys is they are pretty banged up. Romo will play wearing a protective kevlar vest or something like that. Will add extra weight and i reckon the 'Skins O Line will be looking to get to him. Good chance he doesn't finish the game. Vick came back when he probably shouldn't have yesterday and looked way below par yesterday. Romo played on with the injuries last week and it paid off. That kind of success story 2 weeks in a row seems a little bit too fairytale-ish.

Kinda like the Under 45 and Washington to cover the spread. But i've been horrible the last 2 weeks in the NFL. So my opinion ain't holding much weight lately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭padraig_f

I was all set to go Redskins and then I saw the line today at 3.5, much lower than I was expecting. 3.5 I think is about right and would be a stay-away for me. At 3, I'm tending towards the Cowboys. They are banged up but that's built into the line, it would be around 6.5 if they were healthy. So I think there could be some value in -3 on the Cowboys. It's a must-win game for them, no team who started 1-2 or worse last year made the playoffs, and they'd be letting a division rival go to 3-0 if they lost. While the Redskins are 2-0, they've had 2 fairly soft games, at home against a Giants team with injury problems and a poor Cardinals team. I might still stay on the fence on this, but if the line is -3, think I prefer the Cowboys side.

I do really like the under 45 though. I think the Cowboys will try and protect Romo by running the ball a lot. This will tend to bring the total down and also the Cowboys have struggled running the ball this year (they rushed for only 64 yards against the Jets and 45 yards against the 49ers). Overs on MNF tend to be inflated as well which gives a bit of extra value to the under.

Will definitely bet the under, but probably stay away on the side. I notice bet365 still have it at -3.5, PP have it at -3, but at 10/13 instead of the usual 10/11, so you're paying for that important half-point.

While i don't think the Cowboys cover -3.5 i'm not confident enough to take a side in this game. The under will be my most likely bet. Really like it. Romo banged up. Jones not healthy and i don't rate him anyways. Austin out means no deep threat. Bryant while very good may be limited as i think he's being rushed back when not 100%. The Dallas D should play well under Rob Ryan.

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭CriticEyes

woeful game to watch! so bad. my -3 looks a bit foooooooooooooked! :mad: Wouldn't mind as much if it was a good game.

Leaning towards the Under 51.5 in the USF at Pittsburgh game tonight. I put the the game around the 42-47 mark. Pittsburgh will run, run and run tonight with Graham. Their QB isn't as versatile as Daniels for USF so they i reckon they will rely on running the ball a lot. USF run/pass offense is 53%/47% so they'll keep the ball on the ground a fair bit too. Want to look into the technicals and stats a bit more before taking the bet. But it has been raining a lot in Pittsburgh this week and the forecast is for heavy rain and thunderstorms later. 60% chance the weather sites give it. That usually makes for a lot of slips and falls which bodes well for the unders when teams that rush above 50% play.

Had a good weekend last week, going 4-1 and one push. Got a bit lucky in fairness, think I was 0-4 through 3 quarters of the 6pm games. The Lions were down 20 at half-time and I had them laying 3 points, the Saints were down by about 10 in the 4th quarter before coming back to cover the -4. The Panthers got a late TD to win as well. The Jets really blew the game against the Raiders, which is a reason I've picked the Pats today. Season total is 6-4.

6pm
    Lions +1.5 @ Cowboys
    Bears -6 vs. Panthers

9pm
    Chargers -7 vs. Dolphins
    Broncos +12 @ Packers
    Patriots -5 @ Raiders

Thank you Detroit Lions! 2nd week in a row coming back from 20 points down, unbelievable.

Thank you Detroit!

<3 Megatron.

How the Lions won that game is beyond me. The Cowboys were a complete and utter joke in the second half. Second halves killing me today.

padraig_f wrote: »
    9pm
    Chargers -7 vs. Dolphins
    Broncos +12 @ Packers
    Patriots -5 @ Raiders

the useless broncos letting us down (i followed you)

• Advertisement

PP just had the giants at 4/11 to win (in play) when they were 31-27 up with the ball and 57secs on the clock (no TO left either) ha ha nice one paddy

PP have an early line for next week, Lions -6 vs. Bears. I'm jumping on this right now at this because I think it gets bet up to -7.5. I watched some of the Bears tonight and they were lucky to win. The Panthers had 530 yards to the Bears 310 but somehow managed to lose by giving up a pick-6 and a kick-off return TD to Devin Hester.

Quick analysis of the game from a Bears blog:
    http://beardownstats.wordpress.com/2011/10/02/quick-hitter-week-4-vs-carolina-w-34-29/

Dont' see a letdown effect from the Lions, it's a divisional game and a home game on Monday Night Football.

Lions -6 vs. Bears

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

PP have an early line for next week, Lions -6 vs. Bears. I'm jumping on this right now at this because I think it gets bet up to -7.5.

Hindsight and all, but a -6 road favourite in a divisional rivalry game on MNF will almost certainly always get backed down to a more favourable spread, and that's before you even look at the two teams involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,687 ✭✭✭stingerro

As we don't have a NHL tipster here and maybe some of you are interested in making some bets, this guy was doing very well last season and was heavily praised on some US boards - http://guil0000.mysbrforum.com/blog/

0:0 at HT in game between UNC and Luisville :eek:. Has to be some kind of record...

I presume there's been quite a few 0-0s at HT over the years, but doesn't stop this being one of the most boring games to ever have bet on.

NC 14-0 up.

Probably been a few scoreless games at the half. Remember one not too long ago where the first point was a field goal scored at in the 3rd quarter. Think it was a Rutgers game.

The lowest scoring game i've ever watched was Auburn at Mississippi State. Auburn scored a field goal before the half and then Miss. St. got a safety in the 4th i think.

Tom_Brady wrote: »
    Hindsight and all, but a -6 road favourite in a divisional rivalry game on MNF will almost certainly always get backed down to a more favourable spread, and that's before you even look at the two teams involved.
    The Lions are the home team, still very surprised at the line move (although the difference between -6 and -5 is very little as they're pretty dead numbers). Interesting to see what it is at kick-off, I still think it climbs back up. Won't hit 7.5 now but maybe 6.5 or 7.

Still don't understand the line. Lions are 4-0 after 3 road games. Bears 2-2 after 3 home games. Lions 34 ppg (19 allowed), Bears 23 ppg (24 allowed), Jay Cutler: 5 TDS/4 INTs/15 sacks, Matt Stafford: 11 TDs/3 INTs/5 sacks. So I'm not sure how it's stayed at 5 with the Lions playing at home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭podge57

just posted this in another thread, didn't see this one.

I have come close on CFB accums for the last few weeks, hit the jackpot last night :D

I had :

Baylor (-15.5) @ 10/11
    Alabama (-29.0) @ 10/11
    Georgia (-3.0) @ 20/21
    TCU (-5.0) @ 10/11
    Michigan (-7.0) @ 10/11
    Houston (-11.5) @ 10/11
    Notre Dame (-14.0) @ 10/11
    Illinois (-14.0) @ 10/11
    West Virginia (-20.0) @ 10/11

bet2.jpg

• Advertisement

My bets this week.

6pm:
    Eagles -3 @ Bills
    Vikings -3 vs. Cardinals
    9pm:
    Jets +9 @ Pats (moved to +7 now)
    SNF:
    Packers -4 @ Falcons
    MNF:
    Lions -6 vs. Bears
    Under: 47.5

Last week: 3-2. To date: 9-6.

Was looking at Super Bowl odds, and had a punt on the Cowboys at 33/1. They're 2-2, could be 4-0 with a bit more luck. Been carrying injuries to key players, but should see some of those clear up after the bye week. The longer Rob Ryan is there, the better the defense should get. Team with a big upside.

Titans +3
    Texans -4.5

Eagles -3
    Giants -10

Eagles -3
    Patriots -7
    Lions -5
    Packers -5.5
    Chargers -3.5

gone with these for the early matchs, if they come off then i will throw everything on Pats -7 to beat the Jets

unledwgn.jpg

My luck was in today, won with the overs in the previous post, lost the accy and threw some on new england at -7.5 at 9.15pm, i got a bit nervous in the 4th quarter and decided to cover my bets so i did the jets at +9.5(they were down by 12 i think).

patriots won by 9 which meant that orginal bet and the cover both came in :eek:

unledjug.jpg

If you take a bet before the game and then watch the game and betting site in play you can get some good middle opportunities. Works well with basketball more so than football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Bears +7 is starting to look mighty tempting

• Advertisement

As I expected, all the money going on the Lions today, were -5 yesterday, currently -7, and the way it's going, could be over a touchdown before kick-off. Bookies will be rooting for the Bears tonight.

Adamcp898 wrote: »
    Bears +7 is starting to look mighty tempting

I'm on the Lions -6 but if you like the Bears, I'd say wait a few hours, a chance it goes to +7.5 now.

I'm on the Lions -6 but if you like the Bears, I'd say wait a few hours, a chance it goes to +7.5 now.

Yeah I'm kinda starting to go on the opinion of the law of averages says they have to lose at some point, not the soundest betting philosophy to follow but the Lions will either lose or blow them away but they surely can't scrape another

I quite like the over 47 in this game. Detroit pass on 62% of their plays on average this season. Means the clock stops a lot allowing more time for scores. Chicago run the ball even less. They pass on average 64%. 2 pass heavy teams, both teams are in the top 5 for scoring defense and Chicago are in the top 3 for special team scoring. Also MNF game have a habit of going over.

Cue a low scoring game.

For the record, the line goes off at Lions -6.5, sorry if I put you off that Bears +7 (though it was still available for much of the day).

I'm on the under because I've little confidence in the Bears offense. Devin Hester's brilliant and all but he's not gonna run in a kick-off return every game.

• Advertisement

Lucky I decided to give it time to see if it would get higher than 7, when I checked again it was 6.5 so I left it

My bets this week.

6pm:
    Eagles -3 @ Bills
    Vikings -3 vs. Cardinals
    9pm:
    Jets +9 @ Pats (moved to +7 now)
    SNF:
    Packers -4 @ Falcons
    MNF:
    Lions -6 vs. Bears
    Under: 47.5

Last week: 3-2. To date: 9-6.

Had a good week, 4-1-1, brings season total to 13-7.

Trying to get on lines earlier in the week as I think there's better value then (getting +9 on the Jets last week got me a push, if I took the +7 that it was at kick-off, I'd have lost).

Some early picks this week:

6pm:
    Eagles +0 @ Redskins
    Bills +3 @ Giants
    Lions -4 vs. 49ers

9pm
    Ravens -6.5 vs. Texans (gone to -7.5 today)

MNF:
    Jets -7 vs. Dolphins

A few I'm waiting for possible line moves before betting on:

Bears -3 vs. Vikings (waiting for -2.5)
    Cowboys 7 vs. Patriots (waiting for +7.5)
    Cowboys ML @ Patriots (wait for slightly better than 5/2)
    Falcons -3.5 vs. Panthers (not sure it goes to -3 but let's see)

Nice little tip, no team playing against Cam Newton has covered the spread at any level of football since October 2010 ;)

Cam Newton wrote: »
    Nice little tip, no team playing against Cam Newton has covered the spread at any level of football since October 2010 ;)

Cheers for the heads up on that one Tommy, would nearly be half tempted to go big on Ok State

Adamcp898 wrote: »
    Cheers for the heads up on that one Tommy, would nearly be half tempted to go big on Ok State

It's a fascinating statistic. I actually think the Panthers could well win straight up this weekend, never mind the spread!

Cam Newton wrote: »
    It's a fascinating statistic. I actually think the Panthers could well win straight up this weekend, never mind the spread!

:D Was replying in the wrong thread to your double on Ok State/Georgia Tech but that's another interesting one on Cam. You can't go too long with some of his stats without eventually stumbling upon a win

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

First bet of the hockey season for me tonight.
    Going with Vancouver to beat Philly at 11/10.

First bet of the hockey season for me tonight.
    Going with Vancouver to beat Philly at 11/10.
    Read some analyses suggesting going under in this match - 2 good goalies, string defenses, potential for high level and close match in play off style.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Was thinking about going with unders but went with straight out bet.
    The unders is 5.5 which is a good bet but i feel Vancouver will win this one out.

4:5 10 minutes before end of regular time. Quite far away from under 5.5 I expected ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement