Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dark Souls

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Spunge wrote: »
    Was looking for an audio port. I'm used to using the PC, where i can tilt, turn it upside down, it and even take out parts while its on. Lesson learned, aye.

:eek: Take out parts while it's on?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭Not The Real Scarecrow

Thinking about getting this but still on the fence,finding some of the reviews confusing as not sure if its open world or not.
    Is it similar to elder scrolls or what game would be close to it bar demon souls as I have never played that one?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

Meatwad wrote: »
    Thinking about getting this but still on the fence,finding some of the reviews confusing as not sure if its open world or not.
    Is it similar to elder scrolls or what game would be close to it bar demon souls as I have never played that one?
    It's not open world like Elder Scrolls where there are vast distances to travel between events/areas, it's more like a branching structure I suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

Meatwad wrote: »
    Get it, one of if not the hardest game I've played this decade.

Christ this game is tough. I've also developed a weird habit of falling off random ledges to my death.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

Christ this game is tough. I've also developed a weird habit of falling off random ledges to my death.

As long as it's just in the game.

I'm really liking this, actually. It's going quite well compared to how bad I was at Demon's Souls.

That bloody dragon still got me though with the flames. GOD DAMN IT.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,198 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The relief when I finally got to the the lever that opened the gate to the Parish.

The anger when I got back
    and some ****ing demon bastard had closed it on me.
    From Software: They giveth, and they taketh away. And yet: one must push on.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

It's pure awesome-ness, like Ico for really really hard men, none of this handholding nonsense, just you against the castle and all the feckers that call it home.
    It also makes me see just how crap at games I am.
    Lets hope they never make an FPS game, then my ego will just have to be mopped up off of the floor... A bit like Dragon Rising

• Registered Users Posts: 20,130 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

well im as far as the taurus demon, but died a nice few times. i had leveled up at bit to get my dex up to use the short bow
    as i thought i could kill him with arrows after climbing up the ladder , who knew the sneeky fecker could come u after me

is there any important items / things i should have got or done before i beat him. it seems it is easy to miss out on alot of things that may make the game more difficult later on

im a pyromancer BTW, what stats should i concentrate on ?

really enjoying it though, i have probably over 4 hours just to get this far so probably going slower than most , plus i did try to beat them skeletons in the graveyard for a bit before realizing there was another way around :pac:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,692 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Lets hope they never make an FPS game, then my ego will just have to be mopped up off of the floor...

Play Red Orchestra for that.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,198 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

2smiggy wrote: »
    well im as far as the taurus demon, but died a nice few times. i had leveled up at bit to get my dex up to use the short bow
    as i thought i could kill him with arrows after climbing up the ladder , who knew the sneeky fecker could come u after me
    The wiki recommends luring him up there, but I found that too fidgety. If you do a dive attack on top of him when you're on top of the tower, you do quite a bit of damage. Then just keep luring him back across the bridge while you fireball him and he's not too bad.

As for stats, early stages I'm focusing on dexterity and strength. Given the limited magic usage, you have to rely on weapons a lot, so it's pretty vital to get your melee stats up to scruff pretty quickly! There's also a few crossbows knocking around which can be semi-handy. TBH, you kind of need to be a jack-of-all-trades to play efficiently!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Currently lvl57, and have just killed
    The Great Wold Sef.
    Was quite tough, but managed in the end. Actually felt bad though...he was limping at the end. Would have liked to let him live, but oh well. There's always NG+. Cleared Sen's Fortress and am going back to the Asylum now.

Also, stats wise i went Vit / End and then Str. Currently at 35/30/25 (or something similar). Have 12 dex for the bow too. Oh, and finally upgraded my main weapon. Lightning Spear is awesome!
    is there any important items / things i should have got or done before i beat him. it seems it is easy to miss out on alot of things that may make the game more difficult later on

Nothing in particular is needed to kill the Tauras Demon. Just getting the knack of his attacks. There is an easy(ish) way to beat him, but i'll spoilt it in case you don't want to read tactics.
    Climb the ladder behind you, kill the 2 crossbow zombies, and then trigger the boss. Run back, climb the ladder, and wait for him to get close and look up (don't wait too long). Fall off the ledge while attacking. Rinse and repeat 3(ish) times and he's dead

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

im a pyromancer BTW, what stats should i concentrate on ?

really enjoying it though, i have probably over 4 hours just to get this far so probably going slower than most , plus i did try to beat them skeletons in the graveyard for a bit before realizing there was another way around :pac:

As for missing things you can always come back and get them anytime you want as the world open. When you pick up keys check the description and have a guess where you might use them as some off the keys open places you may be done with already. You will get a few goodies but they arnt really essential

Bit dissillusioned with the Pyromancer. Catalyst doesnt scale with Intelligence so have been levelling Endurance and Vitality so far whilst I wait for the proper magic to come along. This has left me with a Jack of all trades, master of none - Not strong enough with melee weapons and only has 8 shots of fireball!

Didn't want to invest in Strength as I was hoping to go down the spellsword route. D'oh! Spend most of my time duking it out with a Longsword and saving the fireballs for the tougher enemies.

Ah well, no doubt I'll get there in the end. Always a bottleneck or two no matter what build you go for I suppose.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,291 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

Christ the drake sword is some jump in damage output compared to early weapons.

It is ridiculous. :D
    Slices through the skeletons in the graveyard.
    Also a few R2 hits to kill the Black Knights.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Found and swiftly left the land of the drake, reminded me of going into world 4 for the first time in demons souls.

And a tip anything with a bucket shield beware.

penev10 wrote: »
    Bit dissillusioned with the Pyromancer. Catalyst doesnt scale with Intelligence so have been levelling Endurance and Vitality so far whilst I wait for the proper magic to come along. This has left me with a Jack of all trades, master of none - Not strong enough with melee weapons and only has 8 shots of fireball!

Didn't want to invest in Strength as I was hoping to go down the spellsword route. D'oh! Spend most of my time duking it out with a Longsword and saving the fireballs for the tougher enemies.

Ah well, no doubt I'll get there in the end. Always a bottleneck or two no matter what build you go for I suppose.

I have read that you need to level/reinforce the actual catalyst to increase spell damage. And heard that later in the game is are some catalyst that scale off your stats. Pyromancy seems to me to be a secondary ability and not something you should focus on. I might be wrong but it looks like that from the outside. My next char will use pyro. Gonna build it like a glass canon basicly, high DMG output with dex and pyro

I have read that you need to level/reinforce the actual catalyst to increase spell damage.
    There is some hope so. The first weapon upgrading dude doesnt seem to do catalysts alas.

Am stuck on a headless, lightning-spewing scorpion at the minute. Have figured his blindspot but his movements are erratic and I ahve nothing that does much damage to him. Ah such a strange pleasure to be almost at a loss but to know that something will give (eventually!)

Have got to level 20 and the handy grinding for souls has dried up :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

is that the dude just beyond the blacksmith? Tough melee, easy with bow.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,291 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

That's where I am now. Time for bed though. Won't get back to it til wednesday evening or thursday morning...stupid work.

Early days in this game, but I will say this though, they took a brilliant game, Demon's Souls and improved on it in every aspect.
    This game is fookin huge.

Haven't even gotten any magic yet, no sign of it either.

I've just gotten to my first blacksmith,
    Andre
    There is a boss before him and after him, have yet to tackle either, will give them a bash, :o, (I hope) next time I play.

• Advertisement

Thats the guy. If you keep on his left you can sneak in out of the swing of his axe, he then jumps after you get some damage in (which requires a double roll to avoid) and its rinse/repeat. I just dont have a melee build or a bow so I'm at a loss. Will leave til tomorrow (as theres also a brute of a guy about ten minutes after I legged it from him!)

Thats the guy. If you keep on his left you can sneak in out of the swing of his axe, he then jumps after you get some damage in (which requires a double roll to avoid) and its rinse/repeat. I just dont have a melee build or a bow so I'm at a loss. Will leave til tomorrow (as theres also a brute of a guy about ten minutes after I legged it from him!)

You can leg-it past that guy and on to the area behind him, which seems to be an optional area. I cleared out most of that area cept a single door that needs a key that blacksmith sells. But its easy enough at a lower level and some good stuff to be had there if you like wearing heavy armour like myself.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

There are times when this is a well designed, difficult game. There are other times when From Software are just total dicks. I'm experiencing the latter with more frequency. Giving up for a while, as i'll smash something otherwise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

what character has the strongest weapon attacks?

Kiith wrote: »
    There are times when this is a well designed, difficult game. There are other times when From Software are just total dicks. I'm experiencing the latter with more frequency. Giving up for a while, as i'll smash something otherwise.

Haha i love it. There is a section in Anor Londo where you have to walk across a small archway of a building and there are two archers on either side very far away shooting at you with those massive bows that knock you back even when you block. And IF you do make it to them they whip out a sword and you have to fight them on a small ledge. Died first time and thought this is impossible. Second time when i got close i lucked out and both knights fell off the ledge without me touching them :D

Everyone goes on about how when you die in this game its your fault. Well i died once and it was the games fault. Section in New Londo and the camera turned on its own to make adjustments for the wall in the way, and i go walking into the water. Just had to laugh.

This game has consumed my life for the past two days and to be honest im kinda happy im back in work today, or else ill be looking like my character without his clothes on...
    what character has the strongest weapon attacks?

The bandit starts with the highest dex and str and a strong axe so he has the best start. But really the starting class is just that, a starting class so dont dwell on them to much. At best they are a good base for what kinda character you wish to build.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Managed to fend off my first invasion just there now, was lucky as he appeared right on top of me so got four good hits to his back before he coudl respond. Cue 1 clumsy swing onto my shiled and four retaliations and I am one humanity and 6000 souls richer :D

Pity it was while I was utterly lost in Depths, damn place is a maze. Was bricking it the whole way through :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭johnners2981

Does he drop anything if you chop of his tail? It was tough enough to kill him with my spear only doing 16 damage without trying to cut his tail

Gunmonkey wrote: »
    Managed to fend off my first invasion just there now, was lucky as he appeared right on top of me so got four good hits to his back before he coudl respond. Cue 1 clumsy swing onto my shiled and four retaliations and I am one humanity and 6000 souls richer :D

Pity it was while I was utterly lost in Depths, damn place is a maze. Was bricking it the whole way through :pac:

Was his name Kirk? That was an NPC :D I shat bricks when he came out of nowhere to attack me as i thought he was another player since i was in humanform. What did he drop for you? Besides the souls.

Speaking of humanform, your better off going through the depths in said form, as it makes it pis easy as the curse frogs cant do **** to you and the rats aint big enough of a treat to actually kill you. Did the whole depths area in one try (Only to die on the boss :rolleyes:)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,837 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Belltower spoiler
    Summoning Knight Solaire makes that gargoyle fight so easy also I love how you can mark someone for assassination from the darkmoon covenant

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

is it not possible to save your game to a USB drive ? Bit bummed that i can't since i'm a good 8 or 9 hours in... was hoping to just take my saved game with me from house to house (Uni).

Advertisement