Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dark Souls

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

Hmm, as your humanity increase your magic find actually goes up regardless if your human or not, which i thought was the case earlier. Im kinda not really seeing the point in being human.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,067 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

The start of the game is actually the hardest part of the game (so far) imo. After the belltower boss i have been steamrolling the game and have max 3 attempts at bosses before i kill them.
    How far are you into it? I had thought the same thing, as after i killed the Gargoyles, i found it pretty easy for a while....well, easy compared to other parts/demons souls. It's gone back to insanely difficult now though.
    Big Knox wrote: »
    i'm now in the Giants Tomb which was annoying at first as it's pitch dark but found the skull lantern and i'm picking up momentum again.

Where did you find the skull? And how did you get down the cliff in total darkness? Tried a few times, but kept getting knocked off by the Giant Skeletons.

Hmm, as your humanity increase your magic find actually goes up regardless if your human or not, which i thought was the case earlier. Im kinda not really seeing the point in being human.

You can only kindle bonfires in Human form, and you get some more invasion/npc options. Better stats too. I've spent 90% of my time as Hallowed though, so can't be more specific then that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Big Knox

Kiith wrote: »
    Where did you find the skull? And how did you get down the cliff in total darkness? Tried a few times, but kept getting knocked off by the Giant Skeletons.

It's just after the first bonfire, to be honest I done suicide runs until I found the bonfire. Learn the route the cliffs go if you can, then run them until you come across a sarcophagus that has the edges lit up and a hole with a ladder you can go down. Ignore this and again follow the cliff around and the bonfire should be underneath you on your left, you can drop to it.

The skull lantern is then up the ladder beside the bonfire,
    you'll see patches from Demon's Souls, let him kick you into the pit and it's there.

I know that's pretty vague but I really did suicide run it and being honest I got a little lucky with the run.

Oh another tip, im assuming you're saved at the catacombs bonfire atm. If you try suicide runs its quite fast to do, when you get to the open area of the catacombs you can drop down from the bridges onto the lower ledge, it has a section sticking out and you can actually drop from that section to a ledge with an item on it and you are pretty much straight into the tomb from there, takes like 3 mins to do!!

• Advertisement

Oh another tip, im assuming you're saved at the catacombs bonfire atm. If you try suicide runs its quite fast to do, when you get to the open area of the catacombs you can drop down from the bridges onto the lower ledge, it has a section sticking out and you can actually drop from that section to a ledge with an item on it and you are pretty much straight into the tomb from there, takes like 3 mins to do!!

Yeah, thats where i was earlier. Was trying quick runs to the cliffs, and than would take my time going down. Kept getting killed though, and rage quit after a while. Might try some proper suicide runs tomorrow. Id be happy to fight through it normally, but i literally can't see a foot in front of me.

Yeah, thats where i was earlier. Was trying quick runs to the cliffs, and than would take my time going down. Kept getting killed though, and rage quit after a while. Might try some proper suicide runs tomorrow. Id be happy to fight through it normally, but i literally can't see a foot in front of me.

Yeah I started with the same approach, on any normal level I take my upmost care with everything but that goes out the window when you literally can't see anything!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

I had assumed it was...but it never seemed to stay open for me either. Seems to close after a while. Not sure what closes it though.
    The Skeleton nearest the gate ambles over to the lever as soon as you move within his range. You can just sprint past all the skeletons and get through the gate first.

How far are you into it? I had thought the same thing, as after i killed the Gargoyles, i found it pretty easy for a while....well, easy compared to other parts/demons souls. It's gone back to insanely difficult now though.

Up to the boss in Anor Londo. Finding it abit hard to be honest.
    2v1 fights seem most difficult
    Cleared most of the other places bar the Catacombs and New Londo (Which i tried but cant move a lever)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,101 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Progress!
    Past the Gargoyles first time with assistance (RIP random knight guy).
    Need bed now, my blood pressure cannae take it anymore.

• Advertisement

Up to the boss in Anor Londo. Finding it abit hard to be honest.
    2v1 fights seem most difficult
    Cleared most of the other places bar the Catacombs and New Londo (Which i tried but cant move a lever)

Summon for it. Get human form at the bonfire inside the castle near all the black knights theres loads of summon signs up. I killed em first time with help!!

Summon for it. Get human form at the bonfire inside the castle near all the black knights theres loads of summon signs up. I killed em first time with help!!

Just beat em on my own shortly after i posted the other message. Was trading blows with Orstein, 1v1 the guy wouldnt have stood a chance! Poise ftw! I thought Anor Londo was near the end of the game to be honest but there are about 6 more zones left. Loving it.

Golden Armour Dude
    Released this dude and he killed the fire keeper at Firelink Shrine! Like Yurt from Demons but he old killed the one NPC so it was half as bad as Yurt. Got to invade his world in Anor Londo and kill em. You get a ring, 5 humanity AND his armour after you kill Orstein and Slough. Its abit **** to be honest :P

Got my broadsword up to +10 and i can create 2 greatswords. One from the wolfs soul and another from Gwyns. The wolf sword isnt that great and the reqs to use it are like 24/18/18/18 which seems unlikely for anyone to have.

I forget from Demons Souls, but am i right in thinking when a sword has say C/C/C/C multipliers only your highest stat counts towards the +DMG? Say i sword is C/A/C/C and STR is my highest stat, it will only count the STR multiplier. Right?

Just beat em on my own shortly after i posted the other message. Was trading blows with Orstein, 1v1 the guy wouldnt have stood a chance! Poise ftw! I thought Anor Londo was near the end of the game to be honest but there are about 6 more zones left. Loving it.

Golden Armour Dude
    Released this dude and he killed the fire keeper at Firelink Shrine! Like Yurt from Demons but he old killed the one NPC so it was half as bad as Yurt. Got to invade his world in Anor Londo and kill em. You get a ring, 5 humanity AND his armour after you kill Orstein and Slough. Its abit **** to be honest :P

Got my broadsword up to +10 and i can create 2 greatswords. One from the wolfs soul and another from Gwyns. The wolf sword isnt that great and the reqs to use it are like 24/18/18/18 which seems unlikely for anyone to have.

I forget from Demons Souls, but am i right in thinking when a sword has say C/C/C/C multipliers only your highest stat counts towards the +DMG? Say i sword is C/A/C/C and STR is my highest stat, it will only count the STR multiplier. Right?

Yeah got to do the invade, was a nice touch and that ring is boss!!

As for weapon scaling it works from all your stats not just the primary one. In demon's souls most weapons only had 2 stats that scale with one being usually much higher (A or B) but weapons in this seem to balance more spread between stats!! I have yet to even see a weapon that scales A with STR even with the different upgrade paths which is strange!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Got that ring from the dude with the giant dildo at the bottom of tower, max endurance +50%, finally i can wear all that armour i found.

Feck'in hydra
    had him down to 2 heads and i walked over a ledge hidden by the knee high water and promptly died. GGRRRR

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Chairman Meow

is that the dude just beyond the blacksmith? Tough melee, easy with bow.

Pussies go for the easy route!! I took him down no problem in melee last night...thank you drake sword :D

Protip for meleeing the titanite demon:
    Always move to HIS left side, you can get right up close to him as long as youre on his left he'll almost always miss you

This game is so damn good tho. Think Demons might have the edge slightly in terms of atmosphere, and i liked the nexus/level structure of demons a bit better, but this is still top notch stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

I've now been cursed twice... fml. 12k souls down the drain. You think I'd have learned after the first time :(

Killed the Gaping Dragon on my first attempt
    easiest 25k souls I'll ever earn
    :D

^ The ups and downs that no other game can deliver in quite the same way.

This game is outstanding. I loved Demon's Souls, and I'm loving this.

Any suggestions on what to spend my ~28k in souls on... something boring like leveling up? I'm open to suggestions, and whichever is most interesting will be the first thing I do upon turning on the game this evening.

Any suggestions on what to spend my ~28k in souls on... something boring like leveling up? I'm open to suggestions, and whichever is most interesting will be the first thing I do upon turning on the game this evening.

Buy the key for the locked door in Darkroot Basin. Costs 20k souls, but gives you access to a boss and a covenant, as well as a great soul farming location.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

Buy the key for the locked door in Darkroot Basin. Costs 20k souls, but gives you access to a boss and a covenant, as well as a great soul farming location.

That was my first instinct I have to say, because I remembered seeing that key Andre was selling and thinking "I'll never have 20k in souls at once, lol".

Think that might be the best thing to do so :)

I'm curious as to the order people are tackling the game in also? I've a choice between going to Blightown (iirc) or backtracking to darkroot basin at this point...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

My copy of the game just turned up from Amazon. Looking forward to getting my first taste of this tonight.

I bought the Limited Edition version. Really impressed with the whole package considering the low price.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Right. Got the game on saturday and played it some of saturday and most of Sunday.

First impressions are good. I like it better than Demons Souls. It's hard to explain but I just do. The combat feels more rewarding and while I like hubs in some games like Mario, in demon souls I wasn't a fan. Open world feels way better in Dark souls.

My journey so far. I picked the Wanderer with a scimitar and had no trouble with the tutorial boss guy. When the crow dropped me off I headed straight to the right down and then up the steps towards the Undead place. This was lucky I guess because this is apparently the best place to start. The Skeletons to the left that I've seen since wouldv'e owned me bad.

I died alot from here. I got to the Undead place and started dying more. :p. I was having a torrid time with the shielded guys and even worse with the Big black Knights. Scimitar is quick but does no damage.

I killed the boss here by climbing up the ladder and dropping on him. I died the first time trying to fight him straight-up which was a mistake so the second time I just kept climbing up and dropping on him. Once I hit the red drake the game got a whole lot easier and I stopped dying.

If you kill the big red dragon and get his sword the start is alot easier so I would recommend anybody starting out to get dex to 11 and use a bow to kill him from afar. If a bow doesn't drop, go buy one from the Undead merchant guy. The sword he drops will basically double your damage and you can kill the big Knights way easier. And the mechanical pig too.

Killed the Gargoyles on my first try. I had a helper which I thought was a player from a different game but from what you guys have said it was probably an NPC. Oh well :p. I also think this fight was the most epic fight ever. Visually it was stunning and the breathing fire on the rooftops just looked so......badass. Worth the price of admission right there :D.

Had absolutely no trouble at all with the big jumping guy that shoots lighting after the blacksmith that you guys mentioned earlier. Just strafed around him and chased him when he jumped away. Did him 1st try. Was pretty chuffed.

The giant metal knights are slow and easy to kill but when you get them at the same time as the Ent tree guys.....its a nightmare so I avoided that big group of them clustered together. Only died a few times before I learned.

I died more on that Giant Butterfly. Got him on about my 5th try. Seems to me like he is designed for the Pyro or Sorcerer to kill easy. My guy has no magic and I didn't want to waste all my arrows. I ended up taking all my armour off and just rolling around until he landed. I was relieved that they programmed him to land to give melee guys a chance. Then I pummelled his head using the Black Knight Greatsword two handed style.

So thats pretty much where I am now. There is a large downward spiral green staircase after the blacksmith. Darkroot Basin I think it is. I'll either try there next or go back to the starter area where the crow is and take the left down to the skeletons. Haven't decided yet.

I'm guessing thats where the pitch black place is you guys have been cursing about. Not looking forward to that. Don't like the idea of suicide runs. :p

• Advertisement

tok9 wrote: »
    What the hell! I opened up the gate behind the hog and when I died and came back it was closed again!

Ok here's the story. You got 2 sword guys, 2 archers overhead and another sword guy behind and down below. The minute the archers get alerted, he darts for the gate and hits the switch. Basically lure out the swords dudes by edging out, don't forget the spear guy to the side. Take out the 3 of them, whip out your bow and snipe the guy that will close the gate, he'll come down and attack you and you can work away from there then. don't try and snipe the archers first, as he;ll start running for the switch immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,967 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

right - off work till 11 tonight so will put in a good shift now

is it a good idea to grind away leveling up ? must try kill the taurus demon next ? i can gather about 900 souls , then kill myself and repeat , or is there plenty of chance to level up as i go along ?

am i far from the drake sword ? this seems something to make life alot easier :cool:

Pussies go for the easy route!! I took him down no problem in melee last night...thank you drake sword :D

Not that using the Drake Sword is any less...pussyish :D Shoulda named this game Drake Souls, everyone is using that accursed sword!

Fighting an Invisible Boss that you have to track by footprints on the ground. FML

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

2smiggy wrote: »
    right - off work till 11 tonight so will put in a good shift now

is it a good idea to grind away leveling up ? must try kill the taurus demon next ? i can gather about 900 souls , then kill myself and repeat , or is there plenty of chance to level up as i go along ?

am i far from the drake sword ? this seems something to make life alot easier :cool:

The red drake is directly after taurus demon. Stock up on about 40 arrows and just snipe him. If you get under him you can snipe him safely. Took me about 30 arrows. You need like 16 str and roughly 13 dex to equip it though. So you might need to grind the Undead place for about 10 minutes to level up.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,967 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

i have the short bow and the normal arrows (i think 10 souls per arrow)

will these do the job or should i but the more expensive ones ?

i can get to the demon in about 5 mins now, but because i rush too much end up dying often enough. when i do the slash from above on the taurus demon i seem to end up blocked into the corner. his happen to anyone else ?

Should be able to roll between his legs.

Arrows yeah go with the regular, heavy are too bloody dear at the moment.

Still can't figure out how i killed the dragon.

Still can't figure out how i killed the dragon.

He just died for me as well. Got the Drake Sword by sniping his tail from under the bridge, went and did some more stuff (rang the bell i think) and then when i came back to the bridge, he died and i got 10k souls. Didn't do anything to him though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Chairman Meow

Not that using the Drake Sword is any less...pussyish :D Shoulda named this game Drake Souls, everyone is using that accursed sword!

Fighting an Invisible Boss that you have to track by footprints on the ground. FML

Trust me, i tried several times with my puny longsword+2 and was doing about 10 DMG with each strike :rolleyes: The drake sword is a bit OP but im sure by the time you get past darkroot gardens/basin and further on itll be fairly ****e for higher lvl enemies!

Real men take him out with the broken sword hilt.

On a side note, Bit pissed off, i just learned there's no kijii in this game, there is an uchitana though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

Im a level 34 theif at the moment, been killing everything around the first bell. I think ive killed nearly all the bosses around that area except for that butterfly one, And im trying to prepear to go down for the second bell but the poison or bleeding crap keeps getting me killed so im trying to gear up for it.

I have the spider shield and im thinking about buying the poison & Bleed resistant rings, i farmed loads of herbs that say they stop the poison bleeding i got them of those plant mobs but they dont appear to be doing a thing.

Has anyone found those giant cats yet ? i killed one but then two more showed up and tore me in half, they make my fps drop :(

Advertisement