Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dark Souls

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Xyo

what is poor? is it low quality textures etc? is it noticable?

or maybe you got problem with resolution and it makes it look blurry?

Mine seems to be a resolution thing.. Everything looks super blurry.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,815 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It's using that new fangled AA solution, MSAA, which is really just a post processing blur filter which has the effect of making things seem blurry. Demon's Souls had no AA so was really sharp looking.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    It's using that new fangled AA solution, MSAA, which is really just a post processing blur filter which has the effect of making things seem blurry. Demon's Souls had no AA so was really sharp looking.

maybe its that ps3 thing again? i remember i could not play some game, because everything was super blurry. some feck up between ressolutions on some TVs.

i really hate when they put in blurry crap in your face. AA in pc games is very subtle, but when it comes to consoles, devs just glue it on everything and very badly :(.

gta4 on ps3 had same problem for me. all just blurry as hell.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

Im still level one and ive played for about 5 hours.

Didnt know what to level up, and lost a crap load of souls, at least 10k.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

Spunge wrote: »

What class are you? I'm a pyromancer and levelled up my Endurance, Strength and dexterity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭SK1979

Picked a Pyromancer as well, but have mainly spent my points in end / str / vit so far. I'm level 8 I think, and left it after failing on the Black Knight a couple of times. I wouldn't say its too difficult so far as the bonfires are fairly generously spaced.
    Oh, and like others I got killed by skeletons a couple of times, but I reckon thats the wrong way to be going?

Yeah, im a pyro too. But shouldnt i be putting points into intelligence or something ?. I most like to use a one handed weapon though. But use the fireball if theres a good chance of death.

Also is the black knight the big tall guy at the top of a tower near the dragon after the taurus ?
    Thats the latest thing that killed me, caused a rage quit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭SK1979

AFAIK, that first fireball spell doesn't scale with Intelligence so while its a good stat for Pyro's, its not that important yet.

I haven't met the Taurus yet, the guy I'm talking about is the dude at the bottom of a tower and you fight him running back up the stairs. He has a huge big sword (I think) that just 1 shots me. TBH, I'm not far into it so I'm sure he aint that hard, I just left him last night.

One thing I find harder is parrying blows, I find it ok if the blow comes from the left (as you face the mob), but I cant get the timing if the blow comes from the other side. :mad:

From playing the witcher 2 i always try to dodge instead of parry (coz parry sucked in that game). Dunno if thats a good idea here

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,067 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Black Knights are bloody tough, so it's probably better to avoid them early on. I'm level25 or so, and have only ran into 3 of them, so they are easy to avoid. Managed to kill 2 so far, and the first pretty early on, but that was with some firebombs. 2nd was just chipping his health away, with 2 backstabs (which are tought to get against them).

As for the Tauras demon, pro tip (
    climb, fall, hit, climb, fall, hit, climb, fall, hit, dead
    )

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,101 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

A small piece of hell arrived this morning, kudos to Gamestop website. Taking away the pain and price of actually going to my local store :P

What's the deal with the game guide? It's kind of **** that they advertise the game guide as a limited edition bonus, and then only supply you with a mini-guide, missing 90% of the guide itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,224 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Kiith wrote: »
    What's the deal with the game guide? It's kind of **** that they advertise the game guide as a limited edition bonus, and then only supply you with a mini-guide, missing 90% of the guide itself.

Yeah the mini-guide is essentially only a teaser for this?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dark-Souls-Official-Future-Press/dp/3869930489/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1317981954&sr=8-8

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

Spunge wrote: »

Vitality and Endurance are two stats you need for most builds so I've been going wiuth those as the Pyromancer has no use for Intelligence / Atunement just yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭gammon_steak

So the Pyromancer seems to be the popular choice? Is this a good choice for novice players?

So the Pyromancer seems to be the popular choice? Is this a good choice for novice players?
    Not sure, I'd probably recommend a melee-only build for someone who hasnt played Demons Souls. The Knight has a lot of Vitality and good armour and might be a good choice. He cant roll around dodging stuff the best but early on I'd say a novice would be best off just gettign used to the combat and later in the game they can change up the armour and have a more agile character if they wanted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

penev10 wrote: »
    Not sure, I'd probably recommend a melee-only build for someone who hasnt played Demons Souls. The Knight has a lot of Vitality and good armour and might be a good choice. He cant roll around dodging stuff the best but early on I'd say a novice would be best off just gettign used to the combat and later in the game they can change up the armour and have a more agile character if they wanted.

Perosnally speaking for Demon's souls, I took a Knight build first, and I would have preferred a bit more maneuverability, like the Warrior, say. Still good defensively, but the roll isn't so slow (at least, the equivalent in Demon's Souls wasn't)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

dying i'm becoming a pro.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Radhead

Gamestop!!!!! My copy still hasn't arrived.. anyone else int eh same boat?

Pre-order fail!

Just killed the
    Gaping Dragon. Now that was a boss fight worthy of Demons Souls :D
    . Got an unreal great axe as well from him, but i'm 36 strength points off being able to use it....new game ++ maybe? :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Chairman Meow

MY BODY IS READY

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

Ok guys do you remember your first death? Mine was near the spot where you encounter the first Black Knight. Was walking up the stairs behind him (The way you have to go) and abit of the wall was missing so was looking down to see if any goodies where below if you where to drop down. Fecking barrell on fire came down and knocked me right off the stairs and to my death. I was like wow really, like this? DID I HAVE TO GO LIKE THIS!?

On another note i seem to be getting humanity randomly for some reason without using the Humanity Sprites. Odd...
    Playing a Knight is so difficult. Im so used to dodging from Demons Souls and being quick and offensive but the knight play very turtle style. Not really my play style but im gonna try stick with it.

The Dragon:
    Is there a way to cross that bridge without getting hit by the flame? I made it (taking dmg), just curious is all

Gonna dive back in now, :mad:
    MY BODY IS READY

Ha i was gonna post this exact same thing when i brought the game home! Just dived right into it instead :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Big Knox

Got it yesterday evening and pumped a good few hours last night. Absolutely loving it so far, it is Demon's Souls on a bigger more epic scale!!

Have been doing pretty well, have about 7 bosses down and i'm just finishing the last of the firelink shrine areas before I move on. Have been one or two shotting almost every boss. SL 38 atm!!

Some of the boss fights are amazing,
    Gaping Dragon and Ceaseless discharge
    are beyond epic!!

One area however that I think will really trouble people is
    Blighttown
    , it's pretty much 5-1 and 5-2 combined with a much harder boss!!

Have a good idea of most things now so any questions just ask!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Big Knox

On another note i seem to be getting humanity randomly for some reason without using the Humanity Sprites. Odd...
    Playing a Knight is so difficult. Im so used to dodging from Demons Souls and being quick and offensive but the knight play very turtle style. Not really my play style but im gonna try stick with it.

You get Humanity for killing a certain number of enemies without dying, not sure of the number however. I was also a massive dodge player in Demon's but i've had to adapt for this, rolling's invincibility frames have been removed so it's not as effective.

Big Knox wrote: »
    You get Humanity for killing a certain number of enemies without dying, not sure of the number however.
    I had a feeling that was the case. Yet another great dynamic to consider!

Big Knox wrote: »
    Have a good idea of most things now so any questions just ask!!

What route have you taken Big Knox? I've done the Undead Parish, Darkroot Forest, and the Depths i think. Where did you go after killing the Gaping Dragon?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

This is killing me, its the slowest 8 hours i've ever put down in work.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

guys, how are both versions doing?

i wanted to pick up ps3 version as i really dont want to sub to xbox live for now. Is ps3 version stable?

anyone knows if gamestop still does that 3 game offeR?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭weiland79

This is killing me, its the slowest 8 hours i've ever put down in work.

This, plus i haven't even been able to pop around the corner to pick my copy up yet.

I just want to look at it:(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

PS3 or Xbox 360 version?

Advertisement