Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Deactivated militaria

12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

arnhem44 wrote: »
    Well from talking to the firearms officer yesterday he said this renewal will be a yearly thing,why I have no idea.Maybe it's something that's at the Supers discretion and feels it better to have it this way.I'll update on this when I know more.

Yes, please do. If they tighten this even more it seems they don't even want collectors to have deacts any more. Maybe I'm just reading more into it but I don't like the way this is going.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭arnhem44

OK then as an update to this,I have the letter in front of me which arrived this morning.Attached to the letter is two basic printed forms which have to be filled out with your name,address,D.O.B and the firearm detail,one form to each gun.The letter states that it is indeed an application for renewal of authorization for each gun.This letter only covers the first two deactivated weapons I got and not the latter two so presuming there working from dates of when the authorizations were issued then I expect to get a further letter in the near future for the other deacts.Lastly there is a deadline given on the letter stating when the current authorization runs out and that the application has to be handed back before this date passes.Whether or not not this is something my local Super is doing or whether it's nationwide I don't know.

arnhem44 wrote: »
    OK then as an update to this,I have the letter in front of me which arrived this morning.Attached to the letter is two basic printed forms which have to be filled out with your name,address,D.O.B and the firearm detail,one form to each gun.The letter states that it is indeed an application for renewal of authorization for each gun.This letter only covers the first two deactivated weapons I got and not the latter two so presuming there working from dates of when the authorizations were issued then I expect to get a further letter in the near future for the other deacts.Lastly there is a deadline given on the letter stating when the current authorization runs out and that the application has to be handed back before this date passes.Whether or not not this is something my local Super is doing or whether it's nationwide I don't know.

Interesting! I have not received anything so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 P38Man

What is the market like for deactivated WW2 German items here in Ireland? I am thinking of thinning out my collection and I would like to avoid having to drive to the UK to get them to a dealer that won't try to rip me off.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Jim S

I have two deacts, a K-98 and a P-38 , I have had these for about 5 years both came from Uk dealers.

• Advertisement

P38Man wrote: »
    What is the market like for deactivated WW2 German items here in Ireland? I am thinking of thinning out my collection and I would like to avoid having to drive to the UK to get them to a dealer that won't try to rip me off.

Not sure. I don't know many who collect deacts here. It may put people off because they fall under the "defective firearm" category of the firearms act and would require at the very least a letter of permission from the local Superintendent for all deacts in the house. Some people may not know about this and think they can just buy the deacts without permission but in actual fact they are contravening the firearms regulations and could be hit with fines or even stronger punishment if they don't have the relevant permissions.

Also not sure where you could sell them. You could try egun though, I got most of mine there.

I think the market life would be small based on the amount of people who collect this sort of militaria which I would imagine isn't very widespread,as Preusse has pointed out any perspective buyer of a deactivated weapon here would still have to get permission from there local Garda station which complicates the sale of such things.It might be worth your while contacting some local gun shops to see if they would be interested in taking them off your hands or maybe contacting some of the military reenactment groups based here in Ireland to see if anyone would be interested in purchasing them.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Jim S wrote: »
    I have two deacts, a K-98 and a P-38 , I have had these for about 5 years both came from Uk dealers.

Do you still have the UK deact certs?

If you do try sell them up north (pre-arranged). If you want to sell them quickly it would save you waiting for the Gardai to clear someone here. Get a receipt and contact details of the buyer to prove they've been sold off.

Yes , I still have the UK deacts. certs.

My latest arrival which I only got my hands on today.Two SMLE's,both made by Enfield with one dated 1916 which is a Mark III* without cut off plate and the other 1912.The 1912 rifle is the one on the bottom of the pic and as can be seen this one which is the Mark III has the cut off plate later done away with during the first world war only to be reinstated after wars end,also I would say this rifle is roughly about an inch longer in overall length than the other.The 1912 is marked for drill practise whilst the other I believe to have been reissued to the Indian Army sometime after WW1,on the opposite side of the rifle(not pictured)has a strengthening screw half way down the stock which was common practise for the Indian Army.

France_1228.jpg

France_1233.jpg

France_1234.jpg

• Advertisement

I have since parted with the two I had , the P-38 went to a gent in Cork, the K-98 went to a friend in the North.
    As with most items bought from a dealer "you don't get back what you put in" but almost so no major complaints and glad they went to good homes.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

This thread hasn't seen any life in a while. Are there many collecting?

• Registered Users Posts: 39 billymc1

yes got a lee enfield deact 303 long branch 1942 6 months ago delighted with it !

• Registered Users Posts: 16 bsaarmybike

Where can I get a deactivated lee enfield .303 for my irish army bicycle. Id appreciate any information. Cheers. Donal

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

Phoenix wrote: »
    How much are deactivated PPsh-41's going for these days?

Usually Egun has some PPsh deacts:

http://www.egun.de/market/item.php?id=5064387 (no international shipping)

http://www.egun.de/market/item.php?id=5058153 (no international shipping)

http://www.egun.de/market/item.php?id=5047435 (international shipping)

http://www.egun.de/market/item.php?id=5054821 (international shipping)

Where can I get a deactivated lee enfield .303 for my irish army bicycle. Id appreciate any information. Cheers. Donal

Again, check egun or some of the UK deact dealers.

As said before, make sure you have an article 7 authorisation to bring in the deact from your local Superintendent. Also, you will require a letter of permission from your Super to own a deactivated firearm. These are two separate things.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 wagon93

Hey guys i am looking into starting collecting deacts myself and could use some helpful info iv called the district superintendent as it stated on the Department of Justice website that i need written authorisation of the local superintendent.

He told me that i should write out a letter explaining what it is i am planning on doing and either drop it into the local barracks or post it in and that they will have a look over it.

What it is i need help with is what do i write in the letter do i just mention that i would like to start collecting ww2 deactivated firearms and would like his permission to do also is there a form needed if i want to buy deacts from germany as iv seen alot of good condition ones at good prices over there..

All help appreciated :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 joeb12345

Blay wrote: »
    theres a guy up the north in portadown that sells deactvs,

i can get you his number/address if ya want.

:cool::cool::cool:
    Hi could you pm that to me as well tks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 MvN

Anyone know of somewhere in Ireland that might deal in deactivated WW1 firearms? I've seen a few decent ones from the UK but it's always better if you can get something without having to dig out the extra cash for international shipping, and I'm not sure how complicated it is to get the Gardai's blessing on importing vs. buying something locally.

• Advertisement

Iv no idea about any places in Ireland that sell them but i had my meeting with the super today and was refused due to if it was ever stolen and used to say hold up a cash van they would just hand over the money not known it was deactivated.

wagon93 wrote: »
    Iv no idea about any places in Ireland that sell them but i had my meeting with the super today and was refused due to if it was ever stolen and used to say hold up a cash van they would just hand over the money not known it was deactivated.

Sorry to hear that. Sometimes there is a way of placating the Super if you are a serious collector and show him/her that you take security serious. I know of people who only got permission for deacts after they put similar security arrangements in place as if they have active firearms on the premises, i.e. house alarm and gun safe for all deacts.

Preusse wrote: »
    Sorry to hear that. Sometimes there is a way of placating the Super if you are a serious collector and show him/her that you take security serious. I know of people who only got permission for deacts after they put similar security arrangements in place as if they have active firearms on the premises, i.e. house alarm and gun safe for all deacts.

Aw i tried my best with it and it was still not good enough i was talking to him for nearly 45min i explained that i was willing to invest in gun safes and i have an alarm on the house.

He started with why i was interested in collecting militaria and i explained that i had an interest in it from a young age as a lot of my family were in it and that i like to own a part of history then i was asked to tell all my knowledge of ww1 and what weapons they used then it went onto ww2 and what weapons each side used.

He also asked me if i had gone to the IMWM and i said i had and he asked what it was like as he has an interest in militaria himself but has not got a chance to visit it then he came to a decision that because they have expensive insurance and top of the line security that he has to refuse me because of the type of firearm it is and that if any one got there hands on it people would think its real as its very intimidating looking it was a PPS43 that i was looking at getting as my first but it looks like it will never be :(

He apologised to me for not been able to grant me permission as he believes i have a great interest in the military and that i should keep my interest going that there are other ways of doing it besides collecting firearms but to be honest it was a right kick been turned down :(

wagon93 wrote: »
    Aw i tried my best with it and it was still not good enough i was talking to him for nearly 45min i explained that i was willing to invest in gun safes and i have an alarm on the house.

He started with why i was interested in collecting militaria and i explained that i had an interest in it from a young age as a lot of my family were in it and that i like to own a part of history then i was asked to tell all my knowledge of ww1 and what weapons they used then it went onto ww2 and what weapons each side used.

He also asked me if i had gone to the IMWM and i said i had and he asked what it was like as he has an interest in militaria himself but has not got a chance to visit it then he came to a decision that because they have expensive insurance and top of the line security that he has to refuse me because of the type of firearm it is and that if any one got there hands on it people would think its real as its very intimidating looking it was a PPS43 that i was looking at getting as my first but it looks like it will never be :(

He apologised to me for not been able to grant me permission as he believes i have a great interest in the military and that i should keep my interest going that there are other ways of doing it besides collecting firearms but to be honest it was a right kick been turned down :(

What a bummer. At least he was open and genuinely took an interest in you otherwise he wouldn't have talked to you about it for 45 minutes.

There are a couple of things you can do, you could start looking into collecting militaria without the weapons part for the time being but actually make contact with him again after you have accrued some interesting items (medals, documents, etc.) and show him these with enthusiasm. It may take a while but if you keep him involved in your collecting and his own interest in militaria he may eventually come around and grant you permission for selected items.

Also, I don't want to get personal, but depending on how young you are he may also consider this as he could see you as someone who has an interest for now but may lose it and then what are you going to do with the deacts?

Or you may move to another jurisdiction/county/town at some stage in future with a different Super and could try it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭depaor01

Hi all,

I am putting on a not-for-profit exhibition in a Dublin library about 1916 from February to May 2016. I have a couple of period arms to display but am desperately looking for a deactivated Garda cleared C96 Mauser pistol and/or deactivated Garda cleared 1871 Mauser (not necessarily a Howth one!) and/or a deactivated Garda cleared WWI Webley.

Any assistance here would be HUGELY appreciated and acknowledged in the exhibition.

Thanks,

Dave

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Rashers

I'm looking for a deactivated Lee Enfield No4 rifle .303 cal. I want it for old times sake. I'm in my 70s and used one (my favourite rifle) many years ago.

Rashers wrote: »
    I'm looking for a deactivated Lee Enfield No4 rifle .303 cal. I want it for old times sake. I'm in my 70s and used one (my favourite rifle) many years ago.

Try the for sale/wanted section in the shooting forum: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1021

I have seen some deacts there from time to time, not often but I'd say you do get some responses.

Advertisement