Advertisement
How to add spoiler tags, edit posts, add images etc. How to - a user's guide to the new version of Boards
Mods please check the Moderators Group for an important update on Mod tools. If you do not have access to the group, please PM Niamh. Thanks!

Deactivated militaria

1356

Comments



  • Preusse wrote: »
    Hi there,

    no, not all deacts in Germany come with certs. It depends on when the deactivation was carried out. Sometimes they do have the markings of the BKA (Bundeskriminalamt), or Federal Criminal Bureau, stamped on them to demonstrate that they have been checked and found to be completely deactivated. So, different deactivation time periods, different markings/papers.

    Thanks for that Preusse,I've been on to the seller in Belgium again and he is going to send on some better photos of the rifle,it has been stamped on the metalwork so hopefully something may come of it




  • Would it be against boards rules to post the websites or email addresses of deact dealers?
    A good list would help with shopping around.




  • I went to the gaurds twice on Wednesday about bringing in the guns i've picked up in the past month,the k98 and .38 webley revolver currently in my sister in laws in London and about a possible purchase of a Mosin Nagant rifle,firstly I was met by a Young Ban Garda who did not know anything and told me to come back at 10pm that night to speak to another Garda which I did,he looked at me as if I was some G.I Joe wannabe,he took my details and said he would speak to the super and phone me back on Friday lunchtime and here I am still waiting,when any of you guys have brought any de-acts in did ye have to wait to get the article seven or was it sorted straight away??,by the end after I explained everything to him I came out feeling like I was after asking for something that was totally illegal.:mad:




  • arnhem44 wrote: »
    I went to the gaurds twice on Wednesday about bringing in the guns i've picked up in the past month,the k98 and .38 webley revolver currently in my sister in laws in London and about a possible purchase of a Mosin Nagant rifle,firstly I was met by a Young Ban Garda who did not know anything and told me to come back at 10pm that night to speak to another Garda which I did,he looked at me as if I was some G.I Joe wannabe,he took my details and said he would speak to the super and phone me back on Friday lunchtime and here I am still waiting,when any of you guys have brought any de-acts in did ye have to wait to get the article seven or was it sorted straight away??,by the end after I explained everything to him I came out feeling like I was after asking for something that was totally illegal.:mad:

    I can feel your frustration. I would be frustrated too. Yes, I usually had to wait a week or two for the Art. 7 but not longer. I alsways made sure that I supplied written information about the exact items I wanted to bring into the country. That included a word document highlighting the serial number and maker of the firearm, deactivation procedures that had been carried out (listed as bullet points) as well as all the pics of the firearm I could get my hands on from the seller and/or auction site. I just pasted the images into the document. This allows the Super to see the item directly and also, have a record of it on file. It makes life definitely easier. Maybe you can talk to your Super directly and offer this kind of information whenever you buy something? I found that a personal talk with the Super made it easier for me, as he could ask me all the questions he wanted regarding collecting etc. I think we both felt better after that meeting and he even said he supports me with my deact collection as well as my regular fireamrs certs for target shooting.




  • You can imagine my frustration,in my local station you walk into a hallway with a windowed hatch in front of you,you have to press a bell and I duly got an answer to be told that the garda I wanted would be with me in a moment,whilst sitting there I could hear a t.v in the background and the liverpool v chelsea match was on,to my annoyance that hatch did not open till the match ended,finally after showing print outs of the de-acts in question and explaining everything a used envelope appeared on the counter and all the details written on this,beleave me this guy done nothing for public relations,I did ask to speak to the super but I would need to make an appointment to see him and he wouldn't be there till two days later so I let it go,i'm sorry I did now


  • Advertisement


  • I decided to go back to the garda station since i haven't heard anything in over five weeks,i decided to print every possible photo of the guns in question and write a lenghty letter to the super explaining why i wanted to import de-activated weapons,i put it in a sealed envelope and handed it into the station,would you belive within three hours i had one of the gaurds on the phone to me going over details about the guns and organising a visit from the local crime provention officer to access the security of the house,there only issue is having the webley for fear it may be stolen,the rifles are no real concern to them,i know i'm not all the way there yet with this but am i happy,finally a break through with these guys:)




  • arnhem44 wrote: »
    I decided to go back to the garda station since i haven't heard anything in over five weeks,i decided to print every possible photo of the guns in question and write a lenghty letter to the super explaining why i wanted to import de-activated weapons,i put it in a sealed envelope and handed it into the station,would you belive within three hours i had one of the gaurds on the phone to me going over details about the guns and organising a visit from the local crime provention officer to access the security of the house,there only issue is having the webley for fear it may be stolen,the rifles are no real concern to them,i know i'm not all the way there yet with this but am i happy,finally a break through with these guys:)


    Well done ;)




  • You're having better luck than myself so!




  • kowloon wrote: »
    You're having better luck than myself so!

    Are you still waiting for a response or did you get a negative one to your queries?




  • Preusse wrote: »
    Are you still waiting for a response or did you get a negative one to your queries?

    Waiting, and waiting....


  • Advertisement


  • i wish i didnt have a criminal record... then id be buying mp-40's by the bucket load !!



    Nazi'isim is comming back into fashion.... ask prince harry :D




  • kowloon wrote: »
    Waiting, and waiting....

    If you are waiting a considerable time I would go and ask about any progress in the matter.




  • Preusse wrote: »
    If you are waiting a considerable time I would go and ask about any progress in the matter.

    Bought the deacts at the end of March and applied for authorisation in the first week of April, haven't got anything tangible back yet, and I still have dept. of justice to deal with after that for the import licence.
    I have a feeling that at the very least the seller is never going to deal with me again.




  • kowloon wrote: »
    Bought the deacts at the end of March and applied for authorisation in the first week of April, haven't got anything tangible back yet, and I still have dept. of justice to deal with after that for the import licence.
    I have a feeling that at the very least the seller is never going to deal with me again.
    God I know how you feel,as I said about the phone call I got from the Gaurds that day,that he was going to organise a visit from the local crime prevention officer,has he turned up yet?,of course not!!,a friend of mine who is a gaurd in Cork city told me straight out that the likely hood that the gaurd you speak to will most likely have never dealt with deacts before and won't know what to do,I'm beginning to feel like I'm facing an uphill battle and losing it




  • I can imagine how frustrated you both must feel. However, if the gardai don't know much about deacts and I really stand behind my hobby than I would make sure they get the information, even if I have to provide it. As I said before I went straight to the Super (appointment etc.) instead of the FAO, and had all the info about deacts in general and the particular ones I want to collect with me. It makes life much easier as a collector.




  • Has the law changed in relation to importing military spec. de-activated firearms in recent years?

    I went through endless hassle about 4-5 years ago trying to import a de-activated Kalashnikov AK-47 from England. I tried to do everything by the book, I had emailed and faxed letters and photographs and details of where the gun was being purchased, but my attempts hit a brick wall with the Firearms section in the Dept. of Defence... I was told, in no uncertain terms, that ANY kind of military spec. firearm CANNOT be imported whether de-activated or not. End of story.. No way was I being issued an import license.

    - Dan




  • danpatjoe wrote: »
    Has the law changed in relation to importing military spec. de-activated firearms in recent years?

    I went through endless hassle about 4-5 years ago trying to import a de-activated Kalashnikov AK-47 from England. I tried to do everything by the book, I had emailed and faxed letters and photographs and details of where the gun was being purchased, but my attempts hit a brick wall with the Firearms section in the Dept. of Defence... I was told, in no uncertain terms, that ANY kind of military spec. firearm CANNOT be imported whether de-activated or not. End of story.. No way was I being issued an import license.

    - Dan

    Maybe the reason for this was that the AK47 is/was not "historical" enough given the fact that it is still mainly in use today?

    I explained what exactly I intend to collect and import (only deacts from WWII and older, mainly German but also British and other Allied firearms) and I had no problems with it.




  • Preusse wrote: »
    I can imagine how frustrated you both must feel. However, if the gardai don't know much about deacts and I really stand behind my hobby than I would make sure they get the information, even if I have to provide it. As I said before I went straight to the Super (appointment etc.) instead of the FAO, and had all the info about deacts in general and the particular ones I want to collect with me. It makes life much easier as a collector.
    Thanks for that Preusse,I think from day one I should of done that and cut out the middle men,The first Gaurd I spoke to told me that time to come back that night and speak to the the gaurd that was in charge of any firearms enquiries,he's now off my Christmas card list,ha ha.He's been a true pain in the butt from day one and totally unhelpful




  • The FAO in my district is sound but almost impossible to get hold of.
    Much quicker at providing licences for lives because they're used to it.




  • Interesting ... Will bookmark this and have a good auld read 2moro.

    I'd like to get some deactivated weapons myself collection wise ... Maybe the good auld Bren LMG/Gustav ...:)


  • Advertisement


  • Nam_Man wrote: »
    Maybe the good auld Bren LMG/Gustav ...:)

    Ahh a man after me own heart. Two of my favourite weapons while serving, and that's not today or yesterday.

    I wonder how much would such deacts cost.




  • Believe it or not a De-ac Gutav will cost you at least double the price of a De ac Bren. The cheapest of the Gustavs are the Egyptian issue ones but even so the are still hard to get. The Brens are a lot more common. The Indian Army re-chambered a lot of the Brens to take the NATO 7.62 round in the 1960s. Those ones are easy to spot with the straight magazine. Heres one for ya did you know that a plastic copy of the GPMG (The MAG) without even one moving part, just a plastic casting, will cost you more than 600 sterling. Go figuire. The SMLEs used in the film the Wind that Shakes the Barley were sold for 110 euro. They were very good copies and most of them were bought by re-enactment guys here in the Republic. They were so well made that you could cock them and dry fire and they would even take the 1907 bayonet.
    Regards.
    Tom.




  • That price for a plastic MAG? Someone's making a lot of money there so.

    Wish I'd known they were selling off the SMLEs after the movie. Always in the wrong place at the wrong time.




  • enfield wrote: »
    The SMLEs used in the film the Wind that Shakes the Barley were sold for 110 euro. They were very good copies and most of them were bought by re-enactment guys here in the Republic. They were so well made that you could cock them and dry fire and they would even take the 1907 bayonet.
    Regards.
    Tom.

    Possibly a Denix replica? Check out this link, near the end of the page:

    http://www.sutlers.co.uk/acatalog/REPguns.html

    They cock and dry fire. I suppose they'd fill a hole in a collection, until you got the real thing of course! :P




  • The replica costs more than half that of an original, not worth it unless you want to use it for reenactment without the bang.




  • I saw on the news today that the Minister for Justice is tightening up on licenced firearm legislation. I wonder if that will affect collectors.

    I also wonder what planet he's living on as it's not the legally held firearms that are being used in shootings, robberies etc.




  • How is everyone with authorisations in progress getting along?
    It's renewal time for the lives and the firearms misc. bill is in the pipeline.
    Making me a bit edgy.




  • Well I still haven't heard anything back(as usual),I keep meaning to go back to the station to see the super but haven't had much time lately,may do so now in the coming weeks,have seen a few Mosin's in England for a hundred euros lately,I'm determined to pick one of these up.so whats this new bill then?,more red tape for collectors?:(




  • arnhem44 wrote: »
    Well I still haven't heard anything back(as usual),I keep meaning to go back to the station to see the super but haven't had much time lately,may do so now in the coming weeks,have seen a few Mosin's in England for a hundred euros lately,I'm determined to pick one of these up.so whats this new bill then?,more red tape for collectors?:(

    I'll be living in Kent come September, if you need an address in England to pass through drop me a message, I know a lot of the larger Deact places like Ryton arms won't deal outside the country since their carriers started refusing firearm deliveries (the replica ban kicked it off).


  • Advertisement


  • Thanks for the offer Kowloon,anything big or items like the deacts I get posted to my sister in laws or mother in laws which I'm lucky enough to have there,I once bought a slate bed pool table on ebay and some friends picked it up and droped it to the mother in laws which I later picked up myself,theres so much more available over there,I lived there myself for four years and worked in kent for nearly a year of that,some parts of it are lovely down that way,I'm only sorry I never really bought anything while I was there,I remember going to the Birmingham motorbike museum to an arms fair that was been held there and been met out the door by this guy with a bazooka,my jaw droped,brand new vickers in there boxes and every other type of gun imaginable was on sale that day,did I bring loads of money???of course not!I went home that day with two bayonets and a US helmet and a sorry little head for not bringing more bobs,hope all goes well for ya while your there anyway and if you like racing brands hatch is a great day out


Advertisement