Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

C&H Fitness Thread

1235»

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Going for a fitness test in my martial arts club tonight.

9 minutes jogging, 100 situps, 100 star-jumps, 40 knees to chest, 30 push-ups and 100 squats.

I managed nearly all of these 3 weeks ago, so hopefully I'll get through them all again tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭Screaminmidget

9 minutes jogging, 100 situps, 100 star-jumps, 40 knees to chest, 30 push-ups and 100 squats.

I managed nearly all of these 3 weeks ago, so hopefully I'll get through them all again tonight.

Whats the significance of jogging for exactly 9 minutes???

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Whats the significance of jogging for exactly 9 minutes???

The running time increases as we go up along the grades. It's 15 minutes at a faster pace for black belts, 12 for brown, 9 for blue and purple, 7 for green and red, and I think five minutes at yellow and white belt level.

It's just a minimum guideline though. Everyone should be able to run longer than that. It's doing all the other exercises after the jog that makes things tougher!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

Cydoniac wrote: »
    Been thinking of trying mountain biking or windsurfing even though I have zero experience in either! My goal is to drop my jeans size down 2 sizes this year, hopefully between the extra exercise and student diet I'll make it :D

Mountain biking is a lot of fun! I've done it for 8-9 months now. One thing though, get a good bike, My brakes broke one day I went off-roading( the first time ) and I ended up going down a very steep hill without being able to stop, It was fun though :D

But It's always nice to know you can stop if you need to!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

:eek: Would definitely not be able for that! Can barely do 5 push-ups :o , never mind all the rest (could manage the 9 minutes jogging, that's it!)

I ran 5km today, in 30:24 - now my legs hurt and I probably won't exercise for the next 3-4 months!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

The running time increases as we go up along the grades. It's 15 minutes at a faster pace for black belts, 12 for brown, 9 for blue and purple, 7 for green and red, and I think five minutes at yellow and white belt level.

It's just a minimum guideline though. Everyone should be able to run longer than that. It's doing all the other exercises after the jog that makes things tougher!

O_o
    What else do black belts have to do?

Mega Chin wrote: »
    O_o
    What else do black belts have to do?

Something like 150 sit-ups, 150 squats, 50 or 60 press-ups, 50 knees to chest, about 200 star-jumps. Gradings done over 3 consecutive days. Mat safety, unrehearsed weapons and other attack defences, coaching the younger classes and many other things come into it as well at the top grades.

My push-ups still need a lot of work, but I flew through everything else! \o/

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭FYG

My push-ups still need a lot of work, but I flew through everything else! \o/

Well done, fair play.

Starting my 'clean' diet tomorrow. How many times have I said that? This is the time though. Even made a 100 euro bet with a friend that I will last longer than him. His record is six weeks, mine is three days.

I'm going to win though. :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭SChique00

I love keeping healthy, it's brilliant for your mind as well as the physical benefits :) Boxing is something I am really passionate about, and it's only when I finish do I think, "wow, that was some workout!"... my advice to anyone looking for something to do regarding their fitness? Try everything and make sure it's something you enjoy. For instance, I did kickboxing for a while but it just wasn't for me and as a result I didn't put as much work in as I do with boxing...
    I tend to have weekends where I just laze about and eat junk food, but I'm happy with where I'm at regarding my fitness level - I'm a lot better than I was three or four years ago, when I had no real physical outlet in my life and I ate all the time. :)

Now, can anyone help me with my problem - building up stamina for fights? I know people say practise is everything but what sort of exercises should I be doing? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 49 SoTek72

Went to the gym for the first time in three weeks yesterday.

I think I broke myself :(

I'm buying these in the morning:

35-9252206A74UC707861M.jpg

Better press-ups, here I come! \o/

SChique00 wrote: »
    Now, can anyone help me with my problem - building up stamina for fights? I know people say practise is everything but what sort of exercises should I be doing? :)

Spar Spar Spar Spar Spar
    If youre going into say a 3min x 3round fight make sure you can do 5 or 6 rounds at full pace. No matter what exercise you do, youd be shocked how fast youll tire out in the real thing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,014 ✭✭✭marko93

35-9252206A74UC707861M.jpg
    They seem like a good investment!
    I know i've said it about 60000000000000000 times.
    Seriously starting tomorrow.
    Just needa make that playlist for the cycle.

marko93 wrote: »
    They seem like a good investment!

I want to go from a current (slow pace) maximum of 24 up to about 40 in the next 2 weeks. I could probably push myself to 40 push-ups already, but only if I'm going flat out from the start.

I need to be able to do high reps at a slower pace. I find it easier to do them with clenched knuckles, but the floors at home are too hard. That's where these handles come into play! :)

marko93 wrote: »
    I know i've said it about 60000000000000000 times.
    Seriously starting tomorrow.
    Just needa make that playlist for the cycle.

The first few sessions are the hardest, mentally. Once you get started properly though you'll start enjoying it. :)

Weirdly, I couldn't listen to music while cycling. I use my ears as much as my eyes to keep alert of traffic. I wouldn't even be happy to go jogging if I couldn't hear things around me properly! :o

• Advertisement

I want to go from a current (slow pace) maximum of 24 up to about 40 in the next 2 weeks. I could probably push myself to 40 push-ups already, but only if I'm going flat out from the start.

I need to be able to do high reps at a slower pace. I find it easier to do them with clenched knuckles, but the floors at home are too hard. That's where these handles come into play! :)

The first few sessions are the hardest, mentally. Once you get started properly though you'll start enjoying it. :)

Weirdly, I couldn't listen to music while cycling. I use my ears as much as my eyes to keep alert of traffic. I wouldn't even be happy to go jogging if I couldn't hear things around me properly! :o

I'm only starting tomorrow.
    Think I'll see where I stand as a max. Work from that point.

As for the cycle. I just need something to keep me going for the time being till I'm mentally ready to do it. I can pay attention fine, my route isnt too dangerous!

[EDIT]
    Nevermind, I'm not listning to music. It needs to be me and the bike no distractions. My own mind will pull me through it, not some bassed up aggressive song.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭polka dot

http://store.nike.com/us/en_us/?l=shop,pdp,ctr-inline/cid-1/pid-282184/pgid-158887#l=shop,pdp,ctr-inline/cid-1/pid-158885/pgid-158887

Not totally related but...

Got these the other day. :D I love them. I haven't done any proper running since the year before secondary school but I've decided I must start again. So now I have these and they're so comfy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

right - when I get up to college I'm buying a set of dumbbells and a set of those push up grip things that Insect Overlord is getting and I'm going to turn myself into the Hulk by next summer :D

more realistically I just want to muscle up a wee bit so a little girl couldn't beat me up if they tried :pac:

contemplating joining the gym in college as well but it's about €200 - big investment that and trying to decide is it worth it for the cardio end of it... joined last year and was a pure waste of money because I didn't go near enough and it would have worked out way cheaper just to pay for the sessions I did go to... :( think I might try to keep a log this year though to try to inspire me and that...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

What martial art do you do IO?

I'm going trying out a few of the MA clubs in the college in the coming week and hopefully I'll come across something I enjoy to help me keep fit.

What martial art do you do IO?

I'm going trying out a few of the MA clubs in the college in the coming week and hopefully I'll come across something I enjoy to help me keep fit.

Waza Kai jujitsu. :) It's a combination of Brazilian Ju Jitsu and street self-defence, basically. Strikes, locks, throws, etc. Brilliant stuff.

• Advertisement

Oh god, my arms are dying, I went to the gym yesterday for a re-introductory session(as easy one!) and I can barely life them today :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭Kev.OC

Question. Would MMA be good for fitness? Dunno why but i'm currently quite eager to take up some sort of fighting, and i think that might be the one i'd enjoy the most. In relatively decent shape at the minute, but i'm wondering if numerous bad joints would be a big issue in doing something so physical...

Also, regarding motivation, whenever i'm feeling lazy about going to the gym, i just picture this image. Usually works.

meh.ro5100-455x284.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Decided to start doing nightly runs. Was exhausted today but hope to start it from Wednesday onwards. Anything that'll get me a bit more fit is good in my books :D

Went to a Judo lesson for the first time earlier, I really enjoyed it! Hope to keep with it for the year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭Screaminmidget

oooh, I started back in a gym today!! :D

seeing as the college one is free I said I might as well use it :P

Cycled 20 kms and then ran for 15 mins, and then the gym was too busy to really do anything else..

Kev.OC wrote: »
    Question. Would MMA be good for fitness? Dunno why but i'm currently quite eager to take up some sort of fighting, and i think that might be the one i'd enjoy the most. In relatively decent shape at the minute, but i'm wondering if numerous bad joints would be a big issue in doing something so physical...

Also, regarding motivation, whenever i'm feeling lazy about going to the gym, i just picture this image. Usually works.

meh.ro5100-455x284.jpg

Yep. Really is. Joints can cause problems though. (I absolutely destroyed my ankle a couple years ago and still have to wear a support at times)

Fúck it. I'm joining a gym. Surrounded by weights, a swimming pool and cardio machines. Beer belly can go and just die.

Yep. Really is. Joints can cause problems though. (I absolutely destroyed my ankle a couple years ago and still have to wear a support at times)

So, just to clarify, you wouldn't recommend it to a guy with two dodgy knees, a temperamental hip, and a shoulder that occasionally likes to try and pop out?

I would but I will just say injuries happen so dont push yourself more then you can take. Ive seen and suffered many. Its the nature of the sport

I would but I will just say injuries happen so dont push yourself more then you can take. Ive seen and suffered many. Its the nature of the sport

Cool. Shur feck it, injuries can happen trying to get off the couch. Think a few more weeks in the gym are in order first though, before i get stuck into anything. Cheers for the advice.

• Advertisement

Cool. Shur feck it, injuries can happen trying to get off the couch. Think a few more weeks in the gym are in order first though, before i get stuck into anything. Cheers for the advice.

See here for further encouragement. ;)

meh.ro5100-455x284.jpg
    This picture got me through my first day in the gym. For 2 hours, all i kept saying. It worked. I'm sick of being fat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

I spent 2 weeks of going to the gym every single day. Its such good procrastination from study. Got lazy this week though and didn't go once...woopsies :P

I think I've hit a plateau for weight loss. Not sure whats the best approach now, but I'm going to keep exercising for sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 866 ✭✭✭Palytoxin

Hamstring strain, again, absolute disaster. :mad::( Should have kept building it up after the last time. Sickening.

Finally getting my bike fixed, going from 80km-90km of cycling a week to a 5 minutes a day on the city bikes can't be good for me, plus I miss it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 866 ✭✭✭Palytoxin

Ricky91t wrote: »
    Finally getting my bike fixed, going from 80km-90km of cycling a week to a 5 minutes a day on the city bikes can't be good for me, plus I miss it!
    Spent about three hours trying to true a bike wheel from the 60s, still not finished it, 11 out of 36 spokes were missing :eek::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭Togepi

I'm making July the 1st my 'halfway-through-the-year-resolution' thingy, or something. I don't need to lose weight, wouldn't mind losing about a stone, but I'm not fussed, I just want to eat less junk food and improve my fitness and breathing. Going to do the couch to 5km, hopefully.

Optimism!

Note to self: upper body getting soft - start doing push-ups, chin-ups and planking again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭SChique00

Need motivation :'( in other words, a good kick up the a-hole. Weekdays are grand and I do very well at balancing my diet and exercise, but come Friday evening I seem to hit a wall and go completely off the rails. Does anyone else experience this, or is it just me? :L Overall I think I'm doing very well - have upped the boxing to four times per week and trying to maintain this for as long as possible :D

Advertisement