Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

C&H Fitness Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Bottleopener

I've lost a lot of fitness thanks to the LC :P. Will get back running after it, need to get a goal in mind though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

Stupid lack of time and too much study has meant no time for sports this year...grrr! Got summer gym membership in a hotel last year for fairly cheap so I swore I'd get it on the 1st of June this year...>_>

All my sports all finish up for the summer, plus most are in college so I'm confined to running and other gym like pursuits...can't wait!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

I'm so lazy. I have my brown belt in kick boxing since I was a kid but then school got in the way and I never finished! I'd prob have to take about five steps back to try and finish now!!

In theory, I know I'd like running. I just wish I could get to a stage where I could run without collapsing :pac::pac::pac::pac:

Think I'm gonna try fix that over the summer!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

I'm going to go out of my way to find a sport that suits me in college next year (If I'm there).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭Jesus Juice

Sister's Boyfriend is a personal trainer and got a job in the best gym around...Free gym for me anytime he's working!!

Cycled a few miles earlier, and I feel great! I plan to make a habit of this over a summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭whadabouchasir

SarahBeep! wrote: »
    I have my brown belt in kick boxing since I was a kid but then school got in the way and I never finished! I'd prob have to take about five steps back to try and finish now!!
    This is prob a bit off topic but.................how do belt gradings for kickboxing work?I don't think my kickboxing club even do gradings.

This is prob a bit off topic but.................how do belt gradings for kickboxing work?I don't think my kickboxing club even do gradings.

White, red, yellow, green, blue, purple, brown (where I am/was), brown and white, brown and black, and then ten stages of blak until your ACTUAL black belt :)

It could be different fotr different styles and stuff, I know that in Thai Kickboxing there's no gradings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭RHRN

White, red, yellow, green, blue, purple, brown (where I am/was), brown and white, brown and black, and then ten stages of blak until your ACTUAL black belt :)

It could be different fotr different styles and stuff, I know that in Thai Kickboxing there's no gradings.
    Yeah, I know when I did Bushido back in the day it was White, White.1, White.2, Green, Green.1, Green.2, Brown, Brown.1, Brown.2, then Black, then all the 1st, 2nd degree stuff.

Although now its just on the rowing machine, and like, pushups and squats kinda stuff, then try to get out for a run every now and again! Used to be in a rowing club before school took over (or basically I got lazy :P)

• Advertisement

I pure meant to go for a walk this evening....but I was sleping....

I was on my feet for four hours at work though!! Oh, that doesn't count? Ok......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

RHRN wrote: »
    Yeah, I know when I did Bushido back in the day it was White, White.1, White.2, Green, Green.1, Green.2, Brown, Brown.1, Brown.2, then Black, then all the 1st, 2nd degree stuff.

Although now its just on the rowing machine, and like, pushups and squats kinda stuff, then try to get out for a run every now and again! Used to be in a rowing club before school took over (or basically I got lazy :P)
    Me too - I wouldn't mind taking it up again because I enjoyed the actual rowing side of things, just not the way it takes over your life. A lot of the people there didn't seem to have an awful lot else going on...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Ally7

I've only very average fitness atm, can't run too much but I would do a good bit of walking and I'm starting to jog a bit as well.

It sickens me how unfit I've become since I was younger, I used to play every sport possible, football, basketball, badminton, athletics, tennis but I've more or less given them all up. I'm particularly sad about giving up football, but I really had no interest in playing with the local senior team and that was my only choice.

Myself and two friends are planning to start badminton again when it starts up, so that will be something, anyway.

I've gotten a little bit fitter and lost some weight. Great stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

I just watched embarrassing fat bodies. Healthy eating/exercise starts again tomorrow.

I've been going cycling over the past few weeks. I'm planning on going around 100km or more per trip but so far I'm doing around 40km, mostly because there's a few of us who cycle together and the others are probably less fit.

I played football for the first time in about 4 years yesterday though. I was never much good at it, but I'm completely devastated now. I haven't used those muscles in so long and now I'm in agony.

• Advertisement

I've been going cycling over the past few weeks. I'm planning on going around 100km or more per trip but so far I'm doing around 40km, mostly because there's a few of us who cycle together and the others are probably less fit.

Divide that by four, and you've got my standard :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,014 ✭✭✭marko93

I played football for the first time in about 4 years yesterday though. I was never much good at it, but I'm completely devastated now. I haven't used those muscles in so long and now I'm in agony.
    You plan on getting 100k D:
    Jasus, best of luck pal!
    Duffy me ole flower, I'm on the same boat as ya!
    Needa start doing more* :/
    *starting

Well, it's really not that far if you take your time. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

conorstuff wrote: »

Well, it's really not that far if you take your time. :o
    Did a bit of cycling today, football the other day, I'm pretty handy and enjoy playing but would have been fitter a few weeks ago for it. Love a good defence splitting pass, and an aul charge through the defence. Can't wait to play again!

Note to self: Buy working scales.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭coffeelover

Note to self: Buy working scales.

Thanks for reminding me. Mine is digital and seems to only work when it feels like it :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,014 ✭✭✭marko93

Start the cycling tomorrow. No idea how far to go ;_;
    Just wanna lose some weight o.o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

marko93 wrote: »
    Start the cycling tomorrow. No idea how far to go ;_;
    Just wanna lose some weight o.o
    In the same boat as you. I've a little bit more weight on me than I'd like. Half a stone would cover it. How long should it take to lose that?

Did some time on the exercise bike today along with a bit of dumbell work. If only I did this daily.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

I lost almost a stone in a week (3 sessions) of boxing training last December, without even changing my diet. Those were insane training sessions though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

I lost almost a stone in a week (3 sessions) of boxing training last December, without even changing my diet. Those were insane training sessions though.

I despised the warm up when I did boxing. I just wanted to hit the bag, do some pads, some skipping and sparring. The warm up put me off aswell as the sparring which I thought was pretty uncontrolled.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

unknown13 wrote: »
    I despised the warm up when I did boxing. I just wanted to hit the bag, do some pads, some skipping and sparring. The warm up put me off aswell as the sparring which I thought was pretty uncontrolled.

What was in the warm-up?

What was in the warm-up?

40 minutes of press ups, mayweathers, sprints, core exercises, squats, burpies, shadow boxing (which I didn't mind), sit up and other local muscle exercises.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

I could lose 2 stone in a day by sitting in a sauna, doesn't mean it's a good idea though. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,424 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

Onto my 5th day straight in the gym tomorow,had a week off work delighted I can get there so much it'll be only 3 times a week after this and then college comes along and fecks up my time again.Though I do have dancing for 4 and a half hours each week this summer aswell so that should count for something.

I've exercised every day for the past 2 weeks and I'm in better shape than I have been in years. Things are going well. I just have to make sure it keeps up, especially when I go back to college.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,424 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

I've exercised every day for the past 2 weeks and I'm in better shape than I have been in years. Things are going well. I just have to make sure it keeps up, especially when I go back to college.

College does seem to rob your time dosen't it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,553 ✭✭✭soccymonster

climbing croagh patrick at the end of july so unless i get fit... I'll die. The leaving cert gave me an excuse to be lazy tbh so i need to get back exercising ><

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I keep making excuses and getting lazy. I think I planned to cut about 6 kilos in June. Managed to lose most of 1 kg. Too much Guinness and chocolate. Too many kebabs, chips and burgers. Not enough effort!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭Jamie Starr

It's been absolutely pouring with rain the last few days, can barely go for a run. Hopefully tomorrow will be good enough that I don't risk a cold/strain. I was doing quite well and the weather's screwed it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Mega Chin wrote: »
    Exactly 70kg on the scales today.
    5kg in 4 weeks..........this is gonna be fun

Ended up making this without much issue \o/
    Now easily hovering around the 67/68 mark with small amounts of body fat.Time to rebuild :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Salty

What kind of exercise have you been doing?

I really need to start making more of an effort...I'm milking the post-leaving cert slob thing atm:pac:

Cycling, jogging on a treadmill, and lifting a bitta weights.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭RHunce

I'm back bulking! Hopefully can get my weight up by 5kg in the next few months!

A collection of weights, eating correctly and sprints should to the trick. Although my session set me back a few days last night! Never again..

unknown13 wrote: »

I miss kick boxing! The only thing stopping me going back is I'd probably have to start from scratch again. Grrrrrr.

• Advertisement

I think I'm going to go back to Muay Thai or some other kind of MA in September.

I miss kick boxing! The only thing stopping me going back is I'd probably have to start from scratch again. Grrrrrr.
    As my Kickboxing coach used to say the only thing that's stopping you is yourself!

As my Kickboxing coach used to say the only thing that's stopping you is yourself!

Ah no another thing is there's no club in college so I'd be paying full whack to go to classes somewhere and the place I used to go moved out of town and no busses pass where he is now :(

Ah no another thing is there's no club in college so I'd be paying full whack to go to classes somewhere and the place I used to go moved out of town and no busses pass where he is now :(
    If you're in UL i'd recommend their Taekwondo club.I fought one of their guys in a competition before,they seem good.

If you're in UL i'd recommend their Taekwondo club.I fought one of their guys in a competition before,they seem good.

Sure am! Are they not totally different though?

Sure am! Are they not totally different though?
    I've done Taekwondo and I'm currently doing Kickboxing,I didn't find a huge difference between TKD and light contact kickboxing.If you do TKD you will have to learn some patterns and traditional stuff simialar to Karate,but that's only one aspect to it,the techniques used are very similar as is the sparringAalthough Taekwondo would probably be more orienated towards Kicking but it depends on the club.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Desire.

I just started running to get my fitness back two weeks ago. I was relatively fit before but I was out injured for a few months and lost my fitness completely.

I have a log here on Boards, I find it helps. I'm aiming to win a 10KM race next year.

I've also cleaned up my diet. Today is my third day without having any sweets, chocolate, crisps, biscuits, or fizzy drinks.

:o

I've done Taekwondo and I'm currently doing Kickboxing,I didn't find a huge difference between TKD and light contact kickboxing.If you do TKD you will have to learn some patterns and traditional stuff simialar to Karate,but that's only one aspect to it,the techniques used are very similar as is the sparringAalthough Taekwondo would probably be more orienated towards Kicking but it depends on the club.

TKD is very kicking orientated because if you are fighting a TKD and you are Kickboxer, the game plan is very simple. Turn the fight into a brawl.

Maybe someone here could tell me this. If you do exercise, does the weight you'll lose come off straight away or is it a more gradual thing? Like, I weighed myself and I was 9 stone, 1.6 pounds. I did 25 minutes on the exercise bike, hopped in for a shower and then weighed myself again, at 9 stone, 0.2 pounds. Is that what I lost from that session or is there a more gradual loss as well?

Jackobyte wrote: »
    Maybe someone here could tell me this. If you do exercise, does the weight you'll lose come off straight away or is it a more gradual thing? Like, I weighed myself and I was 9 stone, 1.6 pounds. I did 25 minutes on the exercise bike, hopped in for a shower and then weighed myself again, at 9 stone, 0.2 pounds. Is that what I lost from that session or is there a more gradual loss as well?

That kind of instant weight-loss is usually caused by dehydration. I remember hearing years ago that a professional soccer player can lose up to half a stone in water-weight over the course of a game. The figure might not have been accurate (and the average modern pro is much leaner than in previous decades) but the same principle applies.

Fat-loss would be more gradual, but noticeable differences can be made after 10-14 days.

That kind of instant weight-loss is usually caused by dehydration. I remember hearing years ago that a professional soccer player can lose up to half a stone in water-weight over the course of a game. The figure might not have been accurate (and the average modern pro is much leaner than in previous decades) but the same principle applies.

Fat-loss would be more gradual, but noticeable differences can be made after 10-14 days.
    Thought as much, but I wanted to check anyway. Cheers.

• Advertisement
Advertisement