Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

C&H Fitness Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭RHunce

Have to give training a miss tonight and it's possible I miss our championship match against Bruff because I'll be away on holidays :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭marko93

Cycled 8.1 km in just under 19:30. I'd have been even faster if I hadn't been forced to stop at two sets of traffic lights! Feeling great after it now, even if it was exhausting. :)
    Going for a cycle tomorrow! But i've no idea how i can measure my distance ;_;

marko93 wrote: »

Google Maps. Works fine if you've no bike computer.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

marko93 wrote: »

Google Maps. Works fine if you've no bike computer.

Yup, what Conor said. Just work out your route before you go. Simples! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,654 ✭✭✭shadowninty

Use Google nav on your Android

Trace your route first to reduce data use :p

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Google Maps is really handy for measuring distance, a site like mapmyride.com is also good for that (it works like google maps, but gives you additional information and graphs about elevation etc.)

I'd advise getting a bike computer. Once you set it up correctly, they are accurate. It will tell you speed, average speed, and distance you have travelled. They aren't too expensive (I have one I got years ago in Aldi and it works fine, but a low battery symbol started coming up, but you can just use calculator batteries I think!). You need to measure your wheel's circumference for them to work, the easiest way is to start by having your wheel in such a position that the valve is closest to the ground, mark it with chalk, push the bike forward one revolution (until the valve is again closest to the ground), mark it with chalk, then measure with a measuring tape the distance between the chalk marks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

Exceptionally tiring training session in boxing today. Started off with 5 minutes of skipping, which is a lot at ~120 skips per minute. Then, with calves screaming, launched into ~15 minutes of circuits, involving pushups, situps, lunges, squats, etc. Then did technical drills, which mostly involve shadowboxing and footwork, for ~10 minutes, followed by 3 2-minute rounds of pads, with 2-minute breaks in between, followed by 3 punching stamina drills which basically involve doing bursts of 180 punches each at increasing angles. Then did another ~15 minutes of stomach and lower back exercises, before finishing up with 5 more minutes of skipping.

Basically, nearly 2 hours of exercise.

Now I feel like vomiting. Also sleeping.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

I've gotten to a point where if I don't exercise I get stressed and irritable. I didn't go for a cycle today because of the rain, and I really missed it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

Currently trying to will myself to go the gym or for a run or something. I wish I wasn't so tired and lazy and comfy in bed. Ohhh...

Also, my friend and I decided to re-start rowing every weekend! We both did it years ago, so we're not UTTER beginners, I guess. Plus I'm a bawws on the rowing machine, so SURELY those talents just transfer over.... Eh...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Ally7

I'm totally going to start going to the gym next week but first I must rope a friend into coming with me, too embarrassed to go on my own :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭Jamie Starr

bythewoods wrote: »
    Currently trying to will myself to go the gym or for a run or something. I wish I wasn't so tired and lazy and comfy in bed. Ohhh...

Also, my friend and I decided to re-start rowing every weekend! We both did it years ago, so we're not UTTER beginners, I guess. Plus I'm a bawws on the rowing machine, so SURELY those talents just transfer over.... Eh...

Will you marry me?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

I'd advise getting a bike computer. Once you set it up correctly, they are accurate. It will tell you speed, average speed, and distance you have travelled. They aren't too expensive (I have one I got years ago in Aldi and it works fine, but a low battery symbol started coming up, but you can just use calculator batteries I think!). You need to measure your wheel's circumference for them to work, the easiest way is to start by having your wheel in such a position that the valve is closest to the ground, mark it with chalk, push the bike forward one revolution (until the valve is again closest to the ground), mark it with chalk, then measure with a measuring tape the distance between the chalk marks!
    Disappointed Timbuk, I thought you'd be telling us to measure the radius and find the circumference from that. :( :P

Yeah, my summer exercise technique is rather boring and is just lotsa jogging and at the gym, rowing machine, treadmill and cycling.

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭whadabouchasir

Exceptionally tiring training session in boxing today. Started off with 5 minutes of skipping, which is a lot at ~120 skips per minute. Then, with calves screaming, launched into ~15 minutes of circuits, involving pushups, situps, lunges, squats, etc. Then did technical drills, which mostly involve shadowboxing and footwork, for ~10 minutes, followed by 3 2-minute rounds of pads, with 2-minute breaks in between, followed by 3 punching stamina drills which basically involve doing bursts of 180 punches each at increasing angles. Then did another ~15 minutes of stomach and lower back exercises, before finishing up with 5 more minutes of skipping.

Basically, nearly 2 hours of exercise.

Now I feel like vomiting. Also sleeping.
    Ah reminds me of kickboxing training!Do ye not do sparring though?nothing like ending a good session with a bloody nose!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

Ah reminds me of kickboxing training!Do ye not do sparring though?nothing like ending a good session with a bloody nose!

There weren't enough of us there (which was a factor in the added intensity). Only 3 of us, and one had a shoulder problem, so we didn't spar. We usually do though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

My plans for the summer were to start doing a fair bit of training and running..

getting on pretty good so far... :D

ran from the car to the house one day because it was raining :pac: reckon that's about the hardest I've strained my body

jesus I need some motivation don't I :pac: :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭skyscraperblue

I've been running 5-7 days a week (3.5km a day) for about a year and a half now - it's gotten to the point where I find it really hard to sleep if I haven't gone - and I eat pretty healthy too, because after a while of healthy eating you start to realise how gross junk food makes you feel (I can't stand the thought of chipper anymore). I think the memories of being a chubby little preteen still motivate me into not feeling like that again. I was 11st 6lb and 5'2" going into First Year - I'm now 5'4", going into Sixth Year, and 8st 13lb. And absolutely determined to keep it that way - I'm terrified of the 'Freshman Fifteen' :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

I've been running 5-7 days a week (3.5km a day) for about a year and a half now - it's gotten to the point where I find it really hard to sleep if I haven't gone - and I eat pretty healthy too, because after a while of healthy eating you start to realise how gross junk food makes you feel (I can't stand the thought of chipper anymore). I think the memories of being a chubby little preteen still motivate me into not feeling like that again. I was 11st 6lb and 5'2" going into First Year - I'm now 5'4", going into Sixth Year, and 8st 13lb. And absolutely determined to keep it that way - I'm terrified of the 'Freshman Fifteen' :(

Don't drink yourself into thr ground and it won't happen! Hangovers only lead to breakfast rolls and repeats!

SarahBeep! wrote: »
    Don't drink yourself into the ground and it won't happen! Hangovers only lead to breakfast rolls and repeats!
    Words of a champion!

I read a big long extract today online, and the last line was just.
    Shut the fúck up, and train.
    Felt so motivated. So as a start, i planned my exercises and ****.
    Im getting rid of the prop belly >_<

Excuse the double post.
    Went on my first cycle today.
    It was like meeting an old friend for drinks. Fantastic and makes me wonder why I ever stopped.
    Sore, but I FEEL GOOD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

I cycled a 100 kilometers yesterday, feeling very healthy after it. :D

• Advertisement

Walked 50K over two and a half days...

Has anyone any suggestions for music to listen to whilst jogging or in the gym or whatever?

I've taken to running a couple'a kilometres every day and I'm bored of my current "pump" playlists and need to go on a bit of a downloading binge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

10 hours of Nyan Nyan cat always does the trick for me

In other news, twisted my ankle on a run yesterday, deva I am.

So much athletic motivation in this thread.

You all disgust me.

Yesterday my Dad drove past me as I was jogging. He slowed down to the same pace as me, opened the window and start shouting words of encouragement from the car. "FASTER! FASTER! POSTURE! FASTER! GO! GO! GO!" for 5 minutes.

One most harrowing experiences of my life. I think I'm his Summer project. So much father-daughter bonding.

Yesterday my Dad drove past me as I was jogging. He slowed down to the same pace as me, opened the window and start shouting words of encouragement from the car. "FASTER! FASTER! POSTURE! FASTER! GO! GO! GO!" for 5 minutes.

One most harrowing experiences of my life. I think I'm his Summer project. So much father-daughter bonding.

sounds like rowing training except you have no choice tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

Your dad sounds like such a hero.

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭FYG

Has anyone any suggestions for music to listen to whilst jogging or in the gym or whatever?

Depends on what you're into really, but:

This..

This..

I got this shiiii!

Ohh here we go!

This one got me through a tough cycle today..

OMG STARSHIP TROOOOOOPERS ^_^

MOOOOAR STARSHIP TROOOOPERS

Oh lord..

If i keep on going will i get in trouble?
    Technically it's related to help with fitness!

• Advertisement

ffs missed training this morning

ffs missed training this morning

How come?

Slept in :pac:
    Training was for 9, got to sleep around 3:40, and I'm still knackered after the walk :p
    Anyway I went for a jog in the rain at 12 so I'm not feeling too guilty :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Fergus_

I went for an hour walk. Wow it feels rewarding :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

I've cycled about 700km since the end of May, and then mid way through June I decided to do 20-30 pressups a day as I've not been in the gym since early May(I only go while in college and I had exams and stuff). I don't really need motivation as I like being outside and I live in a nice rural area with quiet lanes.

I think I potentially kept weight off that I might have gained from the extra eating I seem to do at home, hey I don't have to pay for it here :pac:

And I've noticed an increase in fitness/strength too. From my earlier post I still recommend cycling!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

Ricky91t wrote: »
    I've cycled about 700km since the end of May, and then mid way through June I decided to do 20-30 pressups a day as I've not been in the gym since early May(I only go while in college and I had exams and stuff). I don't really need motivation as I like being outside and I live in a nice rural area with quiet lanes.

I think I potentially kept weight off that I might have gained from the extra eating I seem to do at home, hey I don't have to pay for it here :pac:

And I've noticed an increase in fitness/strength too. From my earlier post I still recommend cycling!
    I always liked cycling, but then got lazy as my area wasn't really suited for cycling more then 4 miles at a time without doing circuits which gets boring. Also, there is one long downhill and one long uphill on any route I could do which is quite the b8tch.

Doing a ton of cycling around the city the last few days. The system here is so brilliant. They basically have roads for bikes.It's so easy in comparison with Ireland. Of course a lot of the benefit is being negated by the whole four nights out in a row thing.

Doing a ton of cycling around the city the last few days. The system here is so brilliant. They basically have roads for bikes.It's so easy in comparison with Ireland. Of course a lot of the benefit is being negated by the whole four nights out in a row thing.
    Where are you outta interest? Holland?

Jackobyte wrote: »
    Where are you outta interest? Holland?

Yep, Amsterdam. The emphasis on bikes is so great here. The only disorientating thing is that mopeds/scooters are allowed on the cycle-lanes too. And Smart Cars. There have been some nervy late night cycles thanks to that. But in general it's brilliant. So simple to get around the place.

Yep, Amsterdam. The emphasis on bikes is so great here. The only disorientating thing is that mopeds/scooters are allowed on the cycle-lanes too. And Smart Cars. There have been some nervy late night cycles thanks to that. But in general it's brilliant. So simple to get around the place.

The cycling system is deadly, isnt it? There cycle paths are so developed. Really impressive!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

Jackobyte wrote: »
    I always liked cycling, but then got lazy as my area wasn't really suited for cycling more then 4 miles at a time without doing circuits which gets boring. Also, there is one long downhill and one long uphill on any route I could do which is quite the b8tch.

Yeah circuits bore me too! I try to avoid that at all costs.

As for hills, Where I live you turn left and go down a hill, turn right and go up a hill. There's no way of escaping them, just get up them as quick as possible before they get boring and try and go faster than you did the last time on the way down. Works for me anyway!

Ricky91t wrote: »
    Yeah circuits bore me too! I try to avoid that at all costs.

As for hills, Where I live you turn left and go down a hill, turn right and go up a hill. There's no way of escaping them, just get up them as quick as possible before they get boring and try and go faster than you did the last time on the way down. Works for me anyway!
    Its kinda hard to explain if you don't know my area, but the downhill would account for half the 3 mile long circuit and the uphill for the other half. So downhill, you are using very little effort, and it isn't suited for too much speed because of lots of roundabouts and traffic lights, and then the uphill is horribly steep until you really bring your fitness up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭JamJamJamJam

The cycling system is deadly, isnt it? There cycle paths are so developed. Really impressive!

A paradox :cool:

So, yeah! Fitness... I'm 13 and a half stone now. I'm up nearly 3 stone since about a year ago because sixth year was evil, and probably down a lot of muscle! :( I can now hardly do 15 or 20 push ups. All this will change once college starts and I'm living very much within walking distance of the gym. Can't weight to get going!! :P

Getting my gym membership in the morning!

A paradox :cool:

So, yeah! Fitness... I'm 13 and a half stone now. I'm up nearly 3 stone since about a year ago because sixth year was evil, and probably down a lot of muscle! :( I can now hardly do 15 or 20 push ups. All this will change once college starts and I'm living very much within walking distance of the gym. Can't weight to get going!! :P

Freudian slip?

Cycled about 65km today from our house to the beach, there and back. But we had a party in our house afterwards, so it's all been worthless!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Cycled 90km today (on my own), then ate half of a large oven pizza which ruined it :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Been thinking of trying mountain biking or windsurfing even though I have zero experience in either! My goal is to drop my jeans size down 2 sizes this year, hopefully between the extra exercise and student diet I'll make it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭plein de force

i usually go running
    but i've been sick the past two weeks which has stopped me from doing it. Going to be so unfit when i start again

• Advertisement
Advertisement