Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

C&H Fitness Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭whadabouchasir

unknown13 wrote: »
    TKD is very kicking orientated because if you are fighting a TKD and you are Kickboxer, the game plan is very simple. Turn the fight into a brawl.
    I would consider Taekwondo as being the closest MA to light contact kickboxing though or a sparring orientated Karate club would also be quite similar.I've also done Muay Thai as well and this would be more along the lines of full contact kickboxing and is very different from light contact or semi contact kickboxing.Hope this helps!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Reached 1000km on my bike computer's odometer today :)

Granted, 90% of that was done a while ago when I was fitter, it still feels fairly significant (to me) :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

That kind of instant weight-loss is usually caused by dehydration. I remember hearing years ago that a professional soccer player can lose up to half a stone in water-weight over the course of a game. The figure might not have been accurate (and the average modern pro is much leaner than in previous decades) but the same principle applies.

Fat-loss would be more gradual, but noticeable differences can be made after 10-14 days.
    The more muscle you have the more water weight you lose. Fighters do it all the time to make weight. Can pretty comfortably drop 10lbs in a day by cutting.Some do even more. Its not the nicest experience :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,654 ✭✭✭shadowninty

Your brain is like 90% water sooooo.....

70km on my bike today. Took ages though. I'm going to start taking it seriously from now on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Starting to take my fitness more seriously. Not fat but a bit out of shape, especially around my posterior! Started to get into eating foods like salad in place of snacks, starting to cut out Coke for 7-Up, although I do love my glass of Coke a day, so that's hard. Started taking smallish jogs, hope to get a bike and really get into it. Gym membership when I start in UL too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

Hate to tell you this but swapping coke for 7up will make NO difference whatsoever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

NufcNavan wrote: »
    Hate to tell you this but swapping coke for 7up will make NO difference whatsoever.
    Make that an order of fresh cranberry juice then :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭RHunce

Cydoniac wrote: »
    Make that an order of fresh cranberry juice then :)

A pint glass of ice cold water FTW!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

Footing turf counts as exercise, right?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

I cut about half of our hedge today and that was a serious workout, so manual labour can definitely count as exercise!

Isn't that illegal?

Isn't that illegal?

Possibly. If it is illegal in this county now, everyone is still doing it

EDIT: Its still legal in Mayo. Five miles away from my house in Roscommon its illegal.

Possibly. If it is illegal in this county now, everyone is still doing it.
    There's very good reasons for it being so mate.
    Everyone doing it doesn't make it right.

There's very good reasons for it being so mate.
    Everyone doing it doesn't make it right.

If it was up to me I wouldn't be getting turf for the simple reason that its a pain in the hole, but as it stands I don't have much choice in the matter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭coffeelover

Just did 15 minutes running on the treadmill.. My first bit of exercise in ages :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭Cakes.

Right, I want to like get fitter but don't have a clue how to do it. What should I do ? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Desire.

Right, I want to like get fitter but don't have a clue how to do it. What should I do ? :confused:

I'd personally recommend running, but whatever you're into really.

If you're willing to give running a go I can help you out a bit.

Desire. wrote: »

I can't run and people would laugh at me and stuff :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

I started running a bit back and was getting pains in my knees so I stopped and went on the bike and stuff. I know you are meant to start running gradually but if I have the fitness to do a 20 minutes jog from the start, building up gradually seems ineffective.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

Just go for walks and stuff to start off with! If you have one, bring a dog! Throw in your headphone, it's easier to go faster when you've tunes!

/should follow own advice but has no dog

SarahBeep! wrote: »
    Just go for walks and stuff to start off with! If you have one, bring a dog! Throw in your headphone, it's easier to go faster when you've tunes!

I've a retarded dog that can't walk. >.<

Jackobyte wrote: »
    I've a retarded dog that can't walk. >.<

Can I teach your dog to walk?

Can I teach your dog to walk?

She's beyond teaching at this stage. She was my mom's dog as I was too young to look after her and my mom has her ruined. She strolls everywhere with no urgency at all and stops and every pole to sniff. If you try to pull her, she will just refuse and keel over on her side. And at this stage, she is getting older and gets tired way easier. I took her out for a mile long walk today and she had to stop halfway and was still panned out when we got home.

I don't have a dog but could take my sister's but she's a but hyper :/

I'm going to start cycling a bit more and hiking and stuff, not going to eat crap anymore either.

• Advertisement

Anyone can run, and for your second point, I'm the same. I've finally found somewhere I can run that rarely has people!

Honestly though, go down to your local GAA or football pitches and run there. You won't look out of place there and everyone will be minding their own business.

She's beyond teaching at this stage. She was my mom's dog as I was too young to look after her and my mom has her ruined. She strolls everywhere with mo urgency at all and stops and every pole to sniff. If you try to pull her, she will just refuse and keel over on her side.

I'll teach that bitch a lesson! Tbh, I would actually LOVE a dog to walk. I'd feel a bit of a spa walking around on my own!! :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭LilMissCiara

I don't have a dog but could take my sister's but she's a but hyper :/

We should get a C+H puppy and take turns to walk it! :P

We should get a C+H puppy and take turns to walk it! :P
    127471-715201145109am.png

We could just post him around to each other. He even fits in a box.

* Jackobyte does not condone animal cruelty

Anyone can run, and for your second point, I'm the same. I've finally found somewhere I can run that rarely has people!

Honestly though, go down to your local GAA or football pitches and run there. You won't look out of place there and everyone will be minding their own business.

Meh, I'll try :/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭LilMissCiara

We could just post him around to each other. He even fits in a box.

* Jackobyte does not condone animal cruelty

It's a fitness thread, I think we should just walk him around Ireland to each other's houses..! :P

Meh, I'll try :/

Head over to the A/T/R forum for some advice. You should follow a training plan to help motivate yourself and to make sure what you're doing is correct.

I can't find it :pac: :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

The advice I see most often on the Fitness Forum is to do a mix of medium distance runs/jogging and high intensity intervals/sprints. Programmes like the C25K are good for the former, and there are loads of variations for the latter. If you have a stop-watch you can time yourself, e.g. sprint flat out for 20-30 seconds, slow jog for 20-30, repeat for a total of 4 minutes.

Body-weight exercises are good too. Squats/jumping squats, push-ups (loads of variations here too), burpees, stomach-crunches, planking, reverse curls (the ones for the core, not for the biceps) and Russian twists are great.

You can do them practically anywhere, you don't need equipment, and you can change the intensity levels to suit yourself as your technique and fitness improve. I use all of these myself. You can make a lot of progress in a very short space of time if you train 3 days a week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Indiego

How about swimming?

I also recommend running, who cares if ya look a bit odd, most people really aren't ones to judge tbh :pac:

Now if you realllyyyy wanna look weird, try taking up speed walking :L

• Registered Users Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭OopsyDaisy

Body-weight exercises are good too. Squats/jumping squats, push-ups (loads of variations here too), burpees, stomach-crunches, planking, reverse curls (the ones for the core, not for the biceps) and Russian twists are great.

Even just reading them made my muscles hurt :o

I'm so unbelieveably unfit..I doubt even the best fitness trainer in the world could get me out of my bed :P

I wish I could start running, but I don't have the energy most of the time :(

Ah I'll just be lazy bum...it works for me :P

/moaning

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

My father and I have a new method of father-daughter bonding.

He drives me ~5 miles away from home, on an excruciatingly hilly road, lets me out of the car and drives home. When I get back, he shouts at me regarding the time it took me to get back. Because, yes, he times me. Nothing motivates you to fucking *belt* it home like your father insisting you shave time off your previous run. Apparently I should be able to do a mile in under 5 minutes. Which is all well and good for the first mile, or downhill bits, but COME ON IN ALL FAIRNESS!

It probably works better than my usual "I'll run 'til I'm tired and then turn around" approach because there really is no option but to keep going! OUCHIE.

My dad needs to stop organizing football training and only telling me 20 minutes before it starts. Tackling drills are the last thing I want to be doing when I wake up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭JamJamJamJam

bythewoods wrote: »
    Apparently I should be able to do a mile in under 5 minutes.

5 minutes? :eek: That would have been a women's world record for a long time:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mile_run_world_record_progression

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

5 minutes? :eek: That would have been a women's world record for a long time:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mile_run_world_record_progression

Oh yeah, it's completely unrealistic. Completely. But I'm quite sure he won't be satisfied with my efforts until I've managed. *sob*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,383 ✭✭✭Aoibheann

Jesus, I need motivation like that! I went for a run last night around the hospital (I live beside one). The route around it is painfully hilly, so I decided to run around the only flat, empty area around - the morgue car-park. :pac: It was pathetic though, I had a CRAP run, I forgot how much more painful it is to run on regular ground instead of a lovely treadmill.

So, to make up for my crappy run, I instead decided to do some weights (tiny weights) at home. Nothing like punching with weights in your hand to make you feel better about a useless workout. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,014 ✭✭✭marko93

What would a good distance on a bike be? :D
    Really need to start sheedddddding le pounds :3

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

marko93 wrote: »
    What would a good distance on a bike be? :D
    Really need to start sheedddddding le pounds :3

Any distance can be a good distance, depending on how quickly you cycle it. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,014 ✭✭✭marko93

Any distance can be a good distance, depending on how quickly you cycle it. ;)

Touché. POWER BIKING.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,383 ✭✭✭Aoibheann

Start off with however far you can cycle, tbh. Don't over-exert yourself, the distance will come to you with practice. :) If you're planning on doing it even semi-regularly, I'd recommend investing in some proper cycling shorts and a gel saddle. It makes all the difference in terms of comfort. Start out slow, because if you go off too hard, you might find it difficult to find the legs to take you back home again. The cycling forum here is full of wonderful advice, just run a search for newbie/new to cycling/something similar, and you should find all the information you need.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

Pushing your body as hard as possible with an interval is an effective way of burning fat.

Pick a distance and run as fast as possible, really push yourself, until you reach the distance. Running up a slope is a good example.

Same for weights in the gym, I'd say do the heaviest you are capable of and do say 3 x 8 reps.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

As Aoibheann said, start off small with cycling (actually with anything, especially important for things like running which is a bit less-joint friendly than cycling if you do too much too fast).

You can increase distance by about 10% per week! You'll be surprised how fast you can build up distance on the bike like this. If you start off small (say around 15km), in 20 weeks you'll comfortably be able to do 100km.

You don't need to worry too much about speed. Go at what you're comfortable with, even if it is slow - speed will improve over time!

Tina Turner + housework= work out.

• Advertisement

Cycled 8.1 km in just under 19:30. I'd have been even faster if I hadn't been forced to stop at two sets of traffic lights! Feeling great after it now, even if it was exhausting. :)

Advertisement