Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Metrolink (just Metrolink posts here -see post #1 )

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

DDBarry wrote: »

I dont use the Luas green line much but as far as i'm aware, Luas Green line does not have as many conflict points as the red line. So maybe better planning could avoid these problems, or maybe better policing.

The Green line Luas is built on the old "Dublin & Wicklow" rail alignment (eg. Harcourt Street Line). As it originally carried a full railway it was designed to avoid as many "conflict points" as possible. This is the main reason why the Green line works. If anything you could have ran a DART down the alignment -- terminating in Harcourt Street Station ;) though it would have required some office demolition in area around station.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭markpb

I have no problem with Metro North as a project it would obviously be the most effective option in terms of passenger movement. It is the rolls royce option though, which is fine when the money is rolling in and the COBAs prove it to yield a positive return.

There have been several COBAs done and released to the public. All have been more than positive.
    I dont use the Luas green line much but as far as i'm aware, Luas Green line does not have as many conflict points as the red line. So maybe better planning could avoid these problems, or maybe better policing.

I assume you're working with a traffic department outside Dublin? The Green line was built on an old train line so it has almost no conflicts with pedestrian or vehicular traffic at all so, because of that, flies along at up to 70kph. The city centre part of the Red line was build on roads so it has conflicts coming out of its ass and, as a result, crawls along between stops.

How do you propose to build a train line from the city centre to Swords without having to slow down/stop at traffic lights? How will it make any speed if it has to constantly operate slowly because of the risk of pedestrian incursion, cars straying into its path and upcoming traffic lights.

I've yet to see anyone propose a route that serves anything close to Metro North on the surface and wouldn't be plagued by conflicts and traffic lights. Feel free to try if you like :)

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭Jack Noble

I dont think any building should be knocked. I dont like the idea of elevated rail line at all, the Dart Line is enough of an eye sore.

I have no problem with Metro North as a project it would obviously be the most effective option in terms of passenger movement. It is the rolls royce option though, which is fine when the money is rolling in and the COBAs prove it to yield a positive return. A light rail system will have certain benefits that will outweigh the metro eg cost, frequency of stops, time to construct, ease of extension to the line. Maybe an investigation will prove the Metro North to be the best option, but all options need to be examined before they take the plunge.

What do you guys see as the biggest issue, traffic commuter congestion within the north of the city, commuting times from north county dublin/louth/meath or the airports connectivity to the city?

Metro North is a light rail system. It is essentially a fully-segregated Luas line, underground in the city centre and inner suburbs, which will allow twin-Luas tram units (90m to 100m as opposed to the 40m/50m units we have today) to provide higher capacity, higher frequency services.

It's strikes me as very similar to the German Stadtbahn systems in cities like Hannover, Stuttgart and Frankfurt as opposed to the full-metro U-Bahns in the likes of Munich, Hamburg and Nuremburg. Similar systems would be the Pre-Metro in Brussels or the Sneltram in Amsterdam and Rotterdam. And pretty much identical to the Porto Metro system in Portugal - segregated at grade in suburbs and underground through city centre.

For a quick comparison of the various systems across Europe, have a look at this site: http://www.urbanrail.net/eu/euromet.htm

Just click on each city to look at their systems.

And here's the Dublin link: http://www.urbanrail.net/eu/dublin/dublin.htm

On street is not an option in the city centre for high-capacity, high-frequency, cross-city commuter services. The Luas Green line with 50m trams is already at peak capacity despite significant capacity enhancements in recent years.

If the govt proceeds with Luas BXD alone and postpones/cancels Metro North, I'm willing to bet now that BXD will be jammed to the gills from the day it opens and within months people will be moaning about not being able to get a tram in the mornings/evenings.

Metro North is not the 'Rolls Royce' option in any way - it the common sense option at this stage. And it should have been built 30 years ago as a Dart line which was the original plan from 1975.

It does annoy me the amount of people who dismiss Metro North (and Metro West, Luas and Dart Underground) when they clearly know very little about the projects themselves, urban rail transport, the history of the Dublin projects, the strategy behind them and the demographics of the city and metro area. A little research really wouldn't go amiss.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭AngryLips

Of course, for every city the size of Dublin with an underground metro there are plenty more without. Manchester demonstrates that having an underground system is not a condition of having a good public transport network and it's actually a larger city. I'd even go as far as to say that it has better public transport than some of those cities which do ...Someone previously made a comparison between Dublin and Glasgow, well Glasgow is also an example of a city that is inferior to Manchester when it comes to public transport.

There's no need to come up with a new solution to the same problem in Dublin when there are existing solutions that we know work and work well. Luas and Dart are both successful and most of the criticisms levelled against them are to do with the fact that they've been a victim of their own success as oppose to any inherent flaw with the concepts. The only thing that's happened over the last couple of years is that the recession has put into focus the fact that taking MN underground might not be the best use of the money we have (or don't have).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Brian CivilEng

AngryLips wrote: »
    Of course, for every city the size of Dublin with an underground metro there are plenty more without. Manchester demonstrates that having an underground system is not a condition of having a good public transport network and it's actually a larger city. I'd even go as far as to say that it has better public transport than some of those cities which do

I've lived in Manchester and my wife is from Oslo, no caparison Oslo wins hands down. Manchester is building a pretty significant overground tram system, but it is blessed with many closed and preserved railway alignments similar to the Harcourt alignment. The city centre section of the Metrolink gets pretty congested too. They are planning another cross city connection on street, we'll see how that goes.
    There's no need to come up with a new solution to the same problem in Dublin when there are existing solutions that we know work and work well. Luas and Dart are both successful and most of the criticisms levelled against them are to do with the fact that they've been a victim of their own success as oppose to any inherent flaw with the concepts.

When something is overcrowded to the point of no way to improve capacity within a few years of opening that is an inherent flaw with the concept. Also, we have used up most of the low hanging fruit, the Harcourt line, the reservation for the Tallaght DART etc. If we were to continue electrifying lines and building on street Luaseanna we would get diminishing returns. Metro North and DART Underground aren't new solutions to old problems, they are evolutions of our current systems, to open them up to new areas and increase capacity and utilisation of existing infrastructure.

• Advertisement

I've lived in Manchester and my wife is from Oslo, no caparison Oslo wins hands down. Manchester is building a pretty significant overground tram system, but it is blessed with many closed and preserved railway alignments similar to the Harcourt alignment. The city centre section of the Metrolink gets pretty congested too. They are planning another cross city connection on street, we'll see how that goes.

When something is overcrowded to the point of no way to improve capacity within a few years of opening that is an inherent flaw with the concept. Also, we have used up most of the low hanging fruit, the Harcourt line, the reservation for the Tallaght DART etc. If we were to continue electrifying lines and building on street Luaseanna we would get diminishing returns. Metro North and DART Underground aren't new solutions to old problems, they are evolutions of our current systems, to open them up to new areas and increase capacity and utilisation of existing infrastructure.

You beat me to it. Another point I would add is that we really shouldn't be looking to the Brits for ideas anymore - they've made an even bigger balls of public transport, outside London, than we have.

And part of the reason we have such a PT mess here in Dublin is that we slavishly followed the British approach in the past and tore up our tram system and rail lines and went for the bus option - rather than taking the European approach of preserving and expanding the tram system and linking existing rail lines and developing new lines with tunnel sections in the city centre. Another trait we've taken from our former masters is endless consultation and dithering and chopping and changing - rather than the 'can do, will do' approach in Europe.

Give me the European appraoch over the UK/Irish way any day.

When something is overcrowded to the point of no way to improve capacity within a few years of opening that is an inherent flaw with the concept.

I didn't say anything about overcrowding. I just pointed out that the criticisms of Dart and Luas (vis a vis Metro) have more to do with the success of both systems rather than their failings. I don't think overcrowding has come up but, of course, if that was a genuine problem then we'd see three minute frequencies on Luas (which we're not). Maybe it's a problem with Dart but the resignalling project will address that.

I didn't say anything about overcrowding. I just pointed out that the criticisms of Dart and Luas (vis a vis Metro) have more to do with the success of both systems rather than their failings. I don't think overcrowding has come up but, of course, if that was a genuine problem then we'd see three minute frequencies on Luas (which we're not). Maybe it's a problem with Dart but the resignalling project will address that.

The success of Luas and Dart is their failing - they simply weren't ambitious enough when planned to cope with increasing demand.

While Luas was in planning and in the run-up to construction, it was pointed out by quite a few people that Luas as planned was not adequate for Dublin's future needs. They were ignored. But they were proven right.

Examples include Cormac Rabbitt, the late Jim Mitchell TD and the recently deceased Garret FitzGerald.

Mitchell and Garret had experience to call upon to form their opinions - they abandoned the rest of the Dart project in the 1980s after FF and CIE made such a hames of the first phase. They had also done their research.

And on Luas frequencies, it's down to about every 3.75mins now at peak times - 16 trams an hour in each direction. My understanding is they have little scope for any higher frequencies.

That's the planned maximum frequency of Dart Underground through the tunnel.

Metro's planned max frequency is every 2 mins or 30 trains per hour per direction because full segregation will allow that.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,858 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

It is the rolls royce option though,

It's the only option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 DDBarry

Jack Noble wrote: »
    Metro North is a light rail system. It is essentially a fully-segregated Luas line, underground in the city centre and inner suburbs, which will allow twin-Luas tram units (90m to 100m as opposed to the 40m/50m units we have today) to provide higher capacity, higher frequency services.

It's strikes me as very similar to the German Stadtbahn systems in cities like Hannover, Stuttgart and Frankfurt as opposed to the full-metro U-Bahns in the likes of Munich, Hamburg and Nuremburg. Similar systems would be the Pre-Metro in Brussels or the Sneltram in Amsterdam and Rotterdam. And pretty much identical to the Porto Metro system in Portugal - segregated at grade in suburbs and underground through city centre.

For a quick comparison of the various systems across Europe, have a look at this site: http://www.urbanrail.net/eu/euromet.htm

Just click on each city to look at their systems.

And here's the Dublin link: http://www.urbanrail.net/eu/dublin/dublin.htm

On street is not an option in the city centre for high-capacity, high-frequency, cross-city commuter services. The Luas Green line with 50m trams is already at peak capacity despite significant capacity enhancements in recent years.

If the govt proceeds with Luas BXD alone and postpones/cancels Metro North, I'm willing to bet now that BXD will be jammed to the gills from the day it opens and within months people will be moaning about not being able to get a tram in the mornings/evenings.

Metro North is not the 'Rolls Royce' option in any way - it the common sense option at this stage. And it should have been built 30 years ago as a Dart line which was the original plan from 1975.

It does annoy me the amount of people who dismiss Metro North (and Metro West, Luas and Dart Underground) when they clearly know very little about the projects themselves, urban rail transport, the history of the Dublin projects, the strategy behind them and the demographics of the city and metro area. A little research really wouldn't go amiss.

I have not dismissed Metro North, and i think everyone agrees that it should have been built 30 years ago. That fact that you (and I) think that the BXD will be jammed on opening day only backs up this assertion. But we have to play the hand we are dealt, and although the Metro is the best option (for passenger movement and long term success), there are things that concern me about it (eg time to construct and examination of cheaper alternatives for the short to medium term). That is why i came on here, to find out more about peoples thoughts on it as I am not convinced one way or the other on this.

Roads and Traffic are my area, i would never profess to be an expert on rail (but i am not a complete dummy on the issue either). I asked some questions so i can find out more. sorry if this upsets you.

• Advertisement

I have not dismissed Metro North, and i think everyone agrees that it should have been built 30 years ago. That fact that you (and I) think that the BXD will be jammed on opening day only backs up this assertion. But we have to play the hand we are dealt, and although the Metro is the best option (for passenger movement and long term success), there are things that concern me about it (eg time to construct and examination of cheaper alternatives for the short to medium term). That is why i came on here, to find out more about peoples thoughts on it as I am not convinced one way or the other on this.

Roads and Traffic are my area, i would never profess to be an expert on rail (but i am not a complete dummy on the issue either). I asked some questions so i can find out more. sorry if this upsets you.

The bottom line is that there are no 'cheaper alternatives for the short to medium term' - that is the type of thinking that has us still debating Metro/Dart instead of using the bloody things daily.

Every generation these projects are put on the agenda we get people insisting we look at 'cheaper alternatives for the short to medium term'.

That is exactly the approach that killed Dart in the 1980s and put Luas on the agenda instead of Dart in the mid-1990s. And now it is happening again with Metro and Dart.

Have we not learned enough lessons in the past two decades with the M50, Dart and Luas? We have wasted enough on initially building inadequate infrastructure where we have had to go back and expand capacity at great cost to have actually built Metro North or Dart Underground at this stage.

Construction times of five/six years for big projects really shouldn't be a consideration when compared to the benefits they will provide over lifespans 10 or 20 times the contruction period.

I can pretty much guarantee that if MetroN/DartU are abandoned/delayed for a decade, then the same people who are claiming we don't need either/both now, will be screaming at the govt to do something when traffic gridlock returns to Dublin in a few years from now as the recovery takes hold and people return to work across the city and suburbs.

The bottom line is that there are no 'cheaper alternatives for the short to medium term' - that is the type of thinking that has us still debating Metro/Dart instead of using the bloody things daily.

Every generation these projects are put on the agenda we get people insisting we look at 'cheaper alternatives for the short to medium term'.

That is exactly the approach that killed Dart in the 1980s and put Luas on the agenda instead of Dart in the mid-1990s. And now it is happening again with Metro and Dart.

Have we not learned enough lessons in the past two decades with the M50, Dart and Luas? We have wasted enough on initially building inadequate infrastructure where we have had to go back and expand capacity at great cost to have actually built Metro North or Dart Underground at this stage.

Construction times of five/six years for big projects really shouldn't be a consideration when compared to the benefits they will provide over lifespans 10 or 20 times the contruction period.

I can pretty much guarantee that if MetroN/DartU are abandoned/delayed for a decade, then the same people who are claiming we don't need either/both now, will be screaming at the govt to do something when traffic gridlock returns to Dublin in a few years from now as the recovery takes hold and people return to work across the city and suburbs.

I agree with almost everything you say, and i know your eyes are on the horizon, but we have never had it as tight as it is now. I love to see money invested in transport infrastructure, and preach the importance of transport to anyone who can stay awake while i do. But it will be very hard to justify this right now (harder than ever). I just think we missed the boat, but another one will come along after a while and in the mean-time we should do something to reduce the traffic congestion, and provide some facility with the bit of money we can get our hands on.

BXD or dart spur might just get us over this hump. For the times that we are in i dont think that's such a bad option. However i would need to see more info to convince me these options are the way to go, but i have not seen anything to rule them out (yet).

I don't think that people will look back on this particular period in time and suggest that the money should have been made available for this project. The money should have been provided 4-5 years ago no doubt, not now though while the IMF are here and schools overflowing with hospitals being shut down and SNA's are being let go. I'm not denying that it would be a huge asset and aid recovery of growth either, just that it is hard to justify the spend right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

As an aside, I hope that during the next boom (there will be one) everybody will be shouting to get infrastructure going. I hope people will have learned the lessons of capital vs current expenditure. And I hope that with a slimmed down government and civil service there will be fewer vested interests in benchmarking endeavours, and more Joe Averages who recognise the need to get around efficiently.

Aard wrote: »
    As an aside, I hope that during the next boom (there will be one) everybody will be shouting to get infrastructure going. I hope people will have learned the lessons of capital vs current expenditure. And I hope that with a slimmed down government and civil service there will be fewer vested interests in benchmarking endeavours, and more Joe Averages who recognise the need to get around efficiently.

I'll drink to that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭DWCommuter

It is highly unlikely Aard.

We need a sea change is public attitudes. Lower taxes, easy credit etc. are still the victorious pursuits of Joe Public. They will sit in chronic traffic congestion, complain and get irate, but they will not shout about PT infrastructure during an election. I believe Ireland is at least 50 years away from having a public mindset that will demand and vote based on PT. That's a few boom and busts away before we really learn a lesson.

Internet forums are not representative of how public opinion will develop.

DWCommuter wrote: »
    It is highly unlikely Aard.

We need a sea change is public attitudes. Lower taxes, easy credit etc. are still the victorious pursuits of Joe Public. They will sit in chronic traffic congestion, complain and get irate, but they will not shout about PT infrastructure during an election. I believe Ireland is at least 50 years away from having a public mindset that will demand and vote based on PT. That's a few boom and busts away before we really learn a lesson.

Internet forums are not representative of how public opinion will develop.

DWC, I've long held the opinion that the majority of people are actually quite stupid - despite how clearly intelligent they may be. It comes from years of actually dealing with them and never ceasing to be amazed at how dense they can be. And the politicians we have are simply a reflection of that wider stupidity in society.

An example, the talk of new tolls recently and the reaction of people - 'I'm not paying a toll for using the M50, I'll drive through town rather than pay it'. Or 'I'm not paying the Shannon Tunnel toll - I'll drive through Limerick instead' or wherever there may be a toll.

I pointed out to quite a few that the couple of yoyos they saved in dodging a toll would be more than lost in fuel consumed by stop-starting at lights and crawling through heavy traffic - never mind the time lost in same and the stress built up.

Most never copped that and never even considered it - stupid, I tell ya, real stupid.

We are a nation full of people determined to cut off their noses to spite their faces. And sometimes, I think we deserve what we get.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭DWCommuter

We are a nation full of people determined to cut off their noses to spite their faces. And sometimes, I think we deserve what we get.

We are a nation that's used to being lead so much that we lack real leaders. When potential leaders appear, they are shot down. It's insecurity. There's a Chinese proverb that I always equated with Ireland. It goes something like this, " The nail that stands tallest will always be hit with the hammer first."

Both you and I have come full circle now after a dubious start. Personally I predict many more years of talk, talk, talk and then when it seems like we may have money to do something, we will re-plan everything all over again. History repeats itself, unless you cry stop! We don't do that in Ireland.

I have been right about so much and took a lot of abuse on Boards.ie for my opinions. However it is all coming to fruition now. I check in here daily and already see the "alternative" ideas being promoted. It is only a matter of time before this filters down to political level. It will. MN and DU will be reinvented in the coming years and yet more talk and debate will ensue. I stake my reputation (which isn't too bad:D) on it.

Thankfully I won't be here to get emotionally embroiled in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭D.L.R.

DWCommuter wrote: »
    We are a nation that's used to being lead so much that we lack real leaders. When potential leaders appear, they are shot down. It's insecurity. There's a Chinese proverb that I always equated with Ireland. It goes something like this, " The nail that stands tallest will always be hit with the hammer first."

Both you and I have come full circle now after a dubious start. Personally I predict many more years of talk, talk, talk and then when it seems like we may have money to do something, we will re-plan everything all over again. History repeats itself, unless you cry stop! We don't do that in Ireland.

I have been right about so much and took a lot of abuse on Boards.ie for my opinions. However it is all coming to fruition now. I check in here daily and already see the "alternative" ideas being promoted. It is only a matter of time before this filters down to political level. It will. MN and DU will be reinvented in the coming years and yet more talk and debate will ensue. I stake my reputation (which isn't too bad:D) on it.

Thankfully I won't be here to get emotionally embroiled in it.

Agreed.

We are now subsidising a rake of roads that lay empty all over the country, while our main economic engine (thats Dublin idiots) remains gridlocked all the live long day. It's beyond retarded, but then "we the people" voted for this moronic strategy.

Sigh.. what do you expect to happen when clepto-amnesiac knackers and alcoholic culchies are left to run a country by themselves? Success? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭1huge1

DWC, I've long held the opinion that the majority of people are actually quite stupid - despite how clearly intelligent they may be. It comes from years of actually dealing with them and never ceasing to be amazed at how dense they can be. And the politicians we have are simply a reflection of that wider stupidity in society.

An example, the talk of new tolls recently and the reaction of people - 'I'm not paying a toll for using the M50, I'll drive through town rather than pay it'. Or 'I'm not paying the Shannon Tunnel toll - I'll drive through Limerick instead' or wherever there may be a toll.

I pointed out to quite a few that the couple of yoyos they saved in dodging a toll would be more than lost in fuel consumed by stop-starting at lights and crawling through heavy traffic - never mind the time lost in same and the stress built up.

Most never copped that and never even considered it - stupid, I tell ya, real stupid.

It could be more to do with the fact that they would rather ''waste'' more money on fuel consumption than paying for something that shouldn't be so highly tolled in the first place, trying to prove a point perhaps.

I imagine that is most people's reason for doing so anyway and I think they are not necessarily as ''stupid'' as you claim.

1huge1 wrote: »
    It could be more to do with the fact that they would rather ''waste'' more money on fuel consumption than paying for something that shouldn't be so highly tolled in the first place, trying to prove a point perhaps.

I imagine that is most people's reason for doing so anyway and I think they are not necessarily as ''stupid'' as you claim.

Actually, you're very, very wrong. As we have discovered, we haven't really paid for anything in the last decade. Turns out what we thought we paid for was actually built on the back of taxes from borrowed money - and now we're having to pay back all that borrowed money, most of which we didn't even borrow in the first place.

And funny enough, most people don't want to pay that money back, nor do they think we should have to pay it back. But they were happy enough to take the goodies funded by that borrowed money when they were being doled out by The Bert and his pal during the C*lt*c T*g*r years

You didn't pay for it through income tax because most people in this country pay little or no income tax and the nation as a whole is under-taxed compared to comparable economies elsewhere in Europe. All thanks to tax cuts designed to buy votes for The Bert.

If you think all the motor-related taxes - VRT, motor tax, fuel duty - paid to build the motorways and now pay to maintain them, you'd be wrong their too. That money all goes into one big pot and very little of it went anywhere near road construction.

Then there is the fact that around one fifth of the motorway network was funded through PPPs and are being repaid through tolls - as is the €600m buyout of the M50 Westlink toll contract.

Given all this is the result on 14 years of incredibly bad government from a party that was elected to power on three successive occasions by the majority of Irish voters, I would suggest that is evidence of stupidity on a monumental scale.

Then there is the determination of so many to cost themselves money - cutting off nose to spite faces - to make a stand on a point of principle which is based on a fundamental misconception, ie not paying tolls on motorways because they believe they've been paid for when they really, really haven't, while not realising sitting crawling in traffic is costing them more than a €2 toll.

And finally, and back on the main topic of discussion, there is the stupidity involved in refusing to invest in critical infrastructure that will provide significant economic and social benefits for decades to come - while at the same time making an economy emerging from depression more competitive and sustainable into the future - because someone in a pub or on an internet message board or a rambling, ranting, eejit in a newspaper told them we don't need it and can't afford it, when the evidence across Europe and elsewhere in the world points to the exact opposite.

So, given what I've witnessed in the last decade and a half, and particularly in the last three years, as well as from dealing with tens of thousands of people on many issues and in many guises over 20-odd years, I can safely say many, many, people are stupid beyong belief.

• Advertisement

Actually, you're very, very wrong. As we have discovered, we haven't really paid for anything in the last decade. Turns out what we thought we paid for was actually built on the back of taxes from borrowed money - and now we're having to pay back all that borrowed money, most of which we didn't even borrow in the first place.

And funny enough, most people don't want to pay that money back, nor do they think we should have to pay it back. But they were happy enough to take the goodies funded by that borrowed money when they were being doled out by The Bert and his pal during the C*lt*c T*g*r years

You didn't pay for it through income tax because most people in this country pay little or no income tax and the nation as a whole is under-taxed compared to comparable economies elsewhere in Europe. All thanks to tax cuts designed to buy votes for The Bert.

If you think all the motor-related taxes - VRT, motor tax, fuel duty - paid to build the motorways and now pay to maintain them, you'd be wrong their too. That money all goes into one big pot and very little of it went anywhere near road construction.

Then there is the fact that around one fifth of the motorway network was funded through PPPs and are being repaid through tolls - as is the €600m buyout of the M50 Westlink toll contract.

Given all this is the result on 14 years of incredibly bad government from a party that was elected to power on three successive occasions by the majority of Irish voters, I would suggest that is evidence of stupidity on a monumental scale.

Then there is the determination of so many to cost themselves money - cutting off nose to spite faces - to make a stand on a point of principle which is based on a fundamental misconception, ie not paying tolls on motorways because they believe they've been paid for when they really, really haven't, while not realising sitting crawling in traffic is costing them more than a €2 toll.

And finally, and back on the main topic of discussion, there is the stupidity involved in refusing to invest in critical infrastructure that will provide significant economic and social benefits for decades to come - while at the same time making an economy emerging from depression more competitive and sustainable into the future - a because someone in a pub or on an internet message board told them we don't need it and can't afford it, when the evidence across Europe points to the exact opposite.

So, given what I've witnessed in the last decade and a half, and particularly in the last three years, as well as from dealing with tens of thousands of people on many issues and in many guises over 20-odd years, I can safely say many, many, people are stupid beyong belief.

I think that apathy as much a problem as stupidity. This may be caused by a lack of early education in the area.

I believe that economics should be introduced to the education system earlier. People then may be able to grasp these concepts a little easier and form their own opinions on it without simply choosing which political party to believe. I chose to take economics for leaving cert many years ago. Other than this, there was absolutely no teaching of any economic principles in school. Is this still the case, anybody know?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,312 ✭✭✭dowlingm

1huge1 mentions that some people think tolls are too high. The problem is that for most of that cohort of people ANY toll - even 50c - is too high. I remember a rake of problems with this in Fermoy when their bypass was built because of trucks.

I would have dealt with this by reductions in speed limits and narrowing of lane widths to force goods traffic avoiding the toll to slow. EU law says that toll roads must have free alternates? I doubt it says the free alternate can't have guards camped out there for tachograph checks.

I agree to a limited extent with what Jack Noble says, but the reality is that what makes Ireland's debt unsustainable is NOT infrastructure debt. The decision to guarantee bank debt but more importantly to extend guarantees and make repayments even once it was clear that the problems with Anglo etc. were not liquidity but solvency - the debt arising from those decisions are what turned Ireland's debt from sustainable to unsustainable.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭1huge1

I do agree with what your saying as a whole Jack Noble, what I was trying to emphasise in my post was more the general Irish person's opinion on paying these tolls, even if it is based on a misconception as you say.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

Watched the news tonight, where Nama has lost €1.1bn. While there's certainly controversy around it, people still get more up in arms about spending similar money on infrastructure (namely MN). This ties in with the above comments on the stupidity of the general public. The idea of "Nama" and losses and profits and income is sufficintly nebulous for the lay person as to not warrant much attention or debate. OTOH, it's quite simple the idea of "Metro North == billions for Dublin that we don't have". The merits and of course failings are far more apparent, and more easily debated. Thus it doesn't get done. So many other instances exists of "wastes" of millions, if not billions (hello, tax breaks), of euros, but because of their relative intangibility, they're let slide.

It's been said before: people don't know what's good for them.

Watched the news tonight, where Nama has lost €1.1bn.

You're totally misconstruing the facts here. To add to those: facts those losses might not materialise; it was anticipated in the business case that NAMA would lose money to begin with; and over the lifetime of the operation it will make a return for the state.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,290 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Updated density maps here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056341438
    Liverpool, bradford, and edinburgh dont have one, these are the same size as dublin in my mind anyway.
    Liverpool isn't doing to bad.
    http://www.merseyrail.org/ You do have to note that Dublin does national-type functions that Liverppol doesn't.
    The Luas Green Line isn't far off the standard needed for a metro, simply because it was built largely on an existing, abandoned railway line.

Certainly on O'Connell Street, Luas Red Line should have been grade separated.
    Of course, for every city the size of Dublin with an underground metro there are plenty more without. Manchester demonstrates that having an underground system is not a condition of having a good public transport network and it's actually a larger city. I'd even go as far as to say that it has better public transport than some of those cities which do ...Someone previously made a comparison between Dublin and Glasgow, well Glasgow is also an example of a city that is inferior to Manchester when it comes to public transport.
    Manchester has a substntial rail system and Metrolink is being massively expanded.

http://www.tfgm.com/pdfmaps/metrolink/11-0657-Met-FUTURE-PS-GEO-210711v2.pdf
    http://www.tfgm.com/pdfmaps/GMPTERaildiagA4.pdf

And Glasgow has its (small) underground a loads of suburban rail lines.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭strassenwo!f

• Sir, – I wish to address some of the points made by John Stafford in relation to the Metro North project (July 29th).
      The fact is that the National Transport Authority is absolutely right to continue to stress the importance of the Metro North and DART Underground projects as the only lasting solution to Dublin’s traffic congestion problems.
      Congestion is one of the main urban transportation problems faced by almost all cities and incurs significant costs in terms of wasted time, wasted fuel, lost productivity and high accident rates.
      In its report Smarter Cities for Smarter Growth, IBM estimated the annual cost of Dublin city’s traffic congestion to be €4 billion in 2008. Congestion also makes Dublin less attractive for vital inward investment.
      The business case for Metro North, which has been independently audited, demonstrates it delivers a net benefit to the Irish economy of well over €1 billion per annum.
      Mr Stafford dismisses the passenger forecast as “a mere 34 million”. In fact, this level of patronage will make Metro North the busiest railway line in Ireland by some margin, outstripping the existing hugely successful Luas and DART lines. One only has to look at the destinations being served to understand the importance of Metro North: the high density population centres at Swords, Ballymun and Northwood; four major hospitals; two universities; Croke Park and the retail and business districts in the heart of Dublin’s city centre as well as Dublin airport.
      These are all major destinations which generate high levels of transport demand.
      Mr Stafford assumes the fares will be set at a high level in order to repay the cost of building the project. This is not the case, and fares on Metro will be similar to those on the rest of the public transport network. – Yours, etc,
      TOM MANNING,
      Public Relations Manager,
      Railway Procurement Agency,
      Parkgate Business Centre,
      Parkgate Street, Dublin 8.
    http://www.irishtimes.com/letters/index.html#1224301683637

What are the four major hospitals which are served by metro north?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,290 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I wonder if he is splitting the Mater.

But Mater (main, private and future children's hospital), Temple Street, Rotunda.

Also Royal Victoria, Dental Hospital, Holles Street and Bon Secours Private Hospital, Glasnevin. I wouldn't count Baggot Street or Grangegorman.

http://www.hse.ie/eng/services/maps/map.html?showDoc=1&

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Cool Mo D

[/LIST]http://www.irishtimes.com/letters/index.html#1224301683637

Depends on what you count as 'served', but you could say Holles street, the Rotunda, Temple street and the Mater. Maybe the Eye and Ear too.

• Advertisement
      • Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭strassenwo!f

Cool Mo D wrote: »
        Depends on what you count as 'served', but you could say Holles street, the Rotunda, Temple street and the Mater. Maybe the Eye and Ear too.

Would you count Holles Street? Wouldn't that be a bit of a walk if you were, for example, going into labour? And would you count the Eye and Ear as a 'major' hospital?

Also, I understood one of the reasons for the mater stop was that it was going to be the home of the new children's hospital, incorporating Temple Street. That is, Temple Street would become part of the Mater - one major hospital. No?

This discussion has been closed.
      Advertisement