Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Dublin] Population Density

Options
  • 28-07-2011 10:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 78,299 ✭✭✭✭

I've taken the preliminary figures from Census 2011 and put them on a map. Some shifts, but nothing massive.

The basic unit used is Electoral Divisions, so in places, e.g. Bull Island, there is a certain coarseness.

168789.png

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭HivemindXX

Very interesting. The no-lines version is a lot easier to read.

I'd be interested in seeing a population density map for the whole country. Any chance of you creating this or briefly explaining how you created this one?

I think it would be a useful tool for understanding infrastructure needs like regional hospitals as well as transport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Aidan1

Hivemind - if you're genuinely interested in this, I would suggest having a look at the AIRO website, they have a series of interesting datasets, all of which can be mapped using their online mapping tool, including a lot of the preliminary data from the 2011 census.

In fact, if you really want to scare yourself, have a look at the maps thrown up for the 'old dependency ratio' for a lot of counties. Major problems pending around elderly people living in rural areas.

It's at www.AIRO.ie

Victor - any chance you could throw up a population change map for Dublin city (and ideally the GDA) for the period 2002-2011? I've just pulled sometogether from the AIRO website but can't get them to export - they show an interesting pattern. Essentially, within Dublin, large swathes of the city's inner suburbs have lost population (from what looks like empty nest syndrome from the demography stats), but the city centre, particularly along the Liffey, has seen a substantial population increase (of the order of 80-90% over the period). Also, those EDs have seen an increase in educational profile, and a decrease in age profile. All told, it looks like DCCs 'infill' policy, together with the Docklands development, have seen a move of large numbers of well educated young people living (and presumably working) in the city centre. Which of course gives the lie to the idea that 'Irish people will never live in Apartments in the city'.

On the flip side, the GDA map shows what we also already knew - that parts of the GDA have become a giant 'exurb', serving as dormitory zones for the city - in particular North county Dublin and the Kildare belt (along the N7/9 and along the railway line). It also shows though that parts of the GDA have lost population in the period - the sprawl is not universal, it has been focussed, either by accident or design, into a few zones - the issue is that these zones are as distant from the city as Castledermot or Kells.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭HivemindXX

Thanks Aidan, I've had a quick look and it seems very interesting. I'll spend some more time with the site over the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,299 ✭✭✭✭Victor

HivemindXX wrote: »
    I'd be interested in seeing a population density map for the whole country. Any chance of you creating this or briefly explaining how you created this one?

I took the current population estimates (we can expect some small modifications before they are finalised, but these numbers are good enough for this exercise) and the electoral Divisions (ED) areas from the Census 2006 and worked out the density. Then its a matter of MS Paint. :)

A slightly different exercise, the attached map indicates how many people are in each ED. given that ED data is used for everything from town planning to health, the coarseness of some, especially those in newer suburbs needs to be reviewed. The CSO has its own Enumeration Areas, typically of 500 people (what one enumerator would work on). While the CSO may not be willing to share data on that level, I would hope that the very large EDs are subdivided.

Older threads
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055004323
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056069546

168918.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭dynamick

Thanks Victor

I would guess that Bull Island is about 400ha with only a handful of people living on it. It seems that its area has been split and then added to the electoral divisions of Clontarf East B and Raheny St-Assam. So I would suggest that you could subtract 200ha from the areas of these EDs to find more accurate densities.

Similarly, Lambay is about 250ha and I doubt has more than a dozen residents. Its area may be subtracted from Donabate.

Glencullen is the large dark Green electoral division at the bottom of the map, third from right. It appears to be low density but in fact it is mostly mountains with a very dense strip along the north west corner, planned for the Luas extension to Cherrywood.

Ringsend and East Wall are both very dense but not when you include the north and south docks as their electoral divisions do.

Enumeration area data is no secret and is available from the CSO site along with shapefiles for mapping programmes.

Map of Dublin EDs here: http://www.electoralareacommittees.ie/reports/dcmapsa&b.pdf

• Advertisement
Advertisement