Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virgin Media: EPC2425/3925 Modem/Router and Speed Issues - POST HERE ONLY

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

guff daddy wrote: »
    Yes, see my post above. Don't just turn off the wireless, also disable the DHCP. Configure the router with a WAN IP within the range of the Cable Modem internal network (i.e. if cable modem is 192.168.0.1/255.255.255.0, then any IP from 192.168.0.2 - 254 will do) and on the cable modem configure the DMZ Host with the same IP. Then set up an internal IP range on the router (different to the cable modem IP range) and configure the DHCP and wireless on this. Use the router for wired connections as well.

The problem is my friend is a simple soul and would not want to go that far with the adjustments so I just thought that a wireless access point might be the answer for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Rob C

On the advanced settings, does everything have to be ticked??

166878.png

Also in the "Basic Settings - Fixed CPE IP Assignment" page. Should the lower box be filled in with the Static IP address+Mac addresses?

Trying to get to the bottom of this dropping off. The modem has reset twice already this evening:mad

I've changed the lease time to -1 etc. Changed the channel as well.

I'm in an apartment block with a lot if UPC routers showing in the network list. Could this be affecting the router?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭ArthurG

Ok, my smug happiness with my new (well 3 month old) service seems to be hitting the rocks - hope someone can offer some advice.

I'd posted back in April when I got the 20 meg service installed. Had the usual issues with the EPC2425, and bought a Linksys E4200 router to allow me to switch the EPC to bridge mode and off we go.

No issues at all (wasn't using phone service so no problem there). Simply switched the EPC 2425 into bridge mode, plugged in the E4200 and we were away with no complicated settings needing changing. Super fast speeds over wireless, super happy.

I started playing Rift (an MMO i case you haven't heard of it) again in the last few days, and had noticed a number of random disconnects every 5 - 15 mins. Initially thought it was a server problem, but then I Alt-tabbed to my browser (Chrome) when it happened and found that i wasn't getting any traffic through at all - trying to get to Google got me a 'cannot connect' error for example. It tends to last between 10 and 30 seconds, then everything goes back to normal until the next drop.

This evening I had a look at the router, and notices that the TEL1 LED is flashing constantly (and as mentioned I don't use the phone). Tried everything (few power cycles etc) to no avail. Eventually I did a factory reboot which stopped the TEL1 light flashing. Put it back in bridge mode, it starts again. Another factory reset, no flashing, and thats what I'm using now.

I'm not over the moon as my speed seems to have dropped off quite a bit (its a g rather than n radio of course), but I don't know if it will cure the random disconnects I was getting - I'll play again tomorrow evening and see what happens.

Only thing I thought might be worth trying is setting up the E4200 router using DMZ as described above - not sure if this will make a big difference though. Haven't done that before, and to be honest I find the instructions a bit confusing, but I'll give it a go if anyone thinks it might make a difference.

Anyone else come across anything like this?.

Thanks!!

Ok, so went MMO'ing last night connected to the Cisco wirelessly (i.e. no separate route connected via bridge), and didn't have a single disconnect.

Will try the dmz route so I can use my n router again over the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 iggypop2

i have had issue with connection dropping out about a month ago, it was on and off all the time, i would ring them, connect laptop through the wire and all seemed fined. but only for a while. I have had this for 2 weeks, with speed being non existing and connection would often drop out with various LEDs flashing. what i have noticed today is actually very strange. when i run utorrent after few moments connection drops, i look up the wifi connect, but after a while it drops again. what helps, surprise surprise, is exiting of of the utorrent. once this is terminated, no connection dropping... :((( am I onto something here?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 guff daddy

iggypop2 wrote: »
    i have had issue with connection dropping out about a month ago, it was on and off all the time, i would ring them, connect laptop through the wire and all seemed fined. but only for a while. I have had this for 2 weeks, with speed being non existing and connection would often drop out with various LEDs flashing. what i have noticed today is actually very strange. when i run utorrent after few moments connection drops, i look up the wifi connect, but after a while it drops again. what helps, surprise surprise, is exiting of of the utorrent. once this is terminated, no connection dropping... :((( am I onto something here?
    Could be - try setting the maximum number of connections to 200 or so (in uTorrent - Options - Preferences - Bandwidth)

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Hayte

I've been having pretty serious problems with UPC over the past week at least. Connection drops between every 10 seconds and 10 minutes at peak times (evenings and weekends) and even sometimes during the day.

The connection doesn't just drop either. I can't even find my wireless network access at times. In the time it has taken to type this post, my network connection has dropped out 3 times and I had to wait over 2 minutes to get finally get a connection and hit submit reply.

Edit: Provisionally fixed by changing wireless channel. A couple of others switched to the same channel I did and everything just went to pieces. Now it doesn't disconnect at least, but its slow as hell.

Edit 2: Wow its really slow. I'm talking worse than 56k dial up slow.

Edit 3: Correction. Its quite alot faster than 56k dial up:

IyxhK.png

I'm getting that 1999 feel though.

Final edit: Problem solved thanks to user To_be_confirmed. It was an obscure Windows XP bug (?) that cloned ad hoc DIT open access points and tanked my internet connection on wireless channel 1. Solution can be found here. This problem has nothing to do with UPC's service or the modem/router they supplied.

Ok. So I have checked all the settings in uIIorenI and it's only been downloading about 10% of content and then connection drops out. untill I terminate above mentined program, it continues to drop out. Once terminated working like a charm !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

please share experience if similar

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭sgarvan

Odia1101 wrote: »
    My UPC broadband will not transmit wirelessly on Router Channel 1 so after a call to UPC tech support I changed it to Channel 11 and everything worked fine. However it now keeps resetting back to Channel 1 after a few days or if I switch the router off and I lose wireless again and have to connect via cable and change back to '11' ... anyone any ideas ?

Having a similar issue myself. I am on my second router within a week of signing up. Cannot pickup the wireless when the channel selection is Auto. I connect to the router with an ethernet cable and change the channel to 6 and all is fine until I turn off the router, or it restarts itself.

Any one any ideas on how to get the router to save the settings that I change?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

I had the usual mega amount of calls to UPC about the normal problems with the Cisco router, in the end they fixed me up with scientific atlanta modem and a netgear router and seriously happy days all is sweet..

• Advertisement

Ok, so spent an hour or so on Saturday setting up the EPC / Linksys E4200 using the dmz solution as described here. Took a bit of fiddling (mainly cos I didn't know what I was at!), but eventually I got it working.

As an aside, I tried the EPC in bridge mode one last time, and as soon as I switched it over, the TEL1 light starting flashing non stop again.....

So everything was going swimmingly, no disconnects or odd behaviour, until disaster struck yesterday around 3:30pm. EPC did a factory reset. Aargh. Odd thing is it was almost exactly 24 hours since I set it up, so not sure if I have to look forward to this every day now. Ok, it only takes 5 mins to reset it to what I want, but I shouldn't have to. I'll have to wait till I get home from work today to see if it has happened again.

If it does happen again, I'll ring UPC tonight. Fingers crossed.....

sgarvan wrote: »
    Having a similar issue myself. I am on my second router within a week of signing up. Cannot pickup the wireless when the channel selection is Auto. I connect to the router with an ethernet cable and change the channel to 6 and all is fine until I turn off the router, or it restarts itself.

Any one any ideas on how to get the router to save the settings that I change?

Rang UPC this morning and got told to change the Lease Time on the IP Address and this should stop the modem restarting. It should also allow the router save settings once powered off. :rolleyes:

UPC also said that they have not heard from many people having issues with this router.

Rang UPC this morning and got told to change the Lease Time on the IP Address and this should stop the modem restarting. It should also allow the router save settings once powered off. :rolleyes:

UPC also said that they have not heard from many people having issues with this router.

Changed the lease time to 86,400 (60 x 60 x 24) yesterday, I think I read somewhere that putting in -1 is a better option, however my router doesn't like the idea of that, asnd defaults back to 6000 or whatever the starting value is.

Default is 3600. Changing this is not going to solve the issue. It is certainly not going to force the modem to save settings once power off and on again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

Change it to 0, when you click save it will change o -1

Will do. Is there any known cure for the random factory resets the thing does?. As someone said above, I can't really see how changing the lease time would stop that happening, but then again when I did have it operating successfully on Bridge mode (pre TEL! flashing thing), it didn't reset once.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭donutheadhomer

thomosn router here on the 100mb line using Mac OSX and transmission. port forwarding in place and transmission says the port is open. only downloading at 700kb roughly seems to go up a bit at times but not by much. Getting 86mb on the upc test

Default is 3600. Changing this is not going to solve the issue. It is certainly not going to force the modem to save settings once power off and on again.

I rang UPC last nite and they guy told me to do the same, to enter -1. This was reverting back to 3600 and i don't think it resolved anything. BTW my issue was/is when I do bit of downloading through u11oren1 both wireless and wired connection drops. Router doesn't restart, but until I terminate said program, it keeps dropping.

Also, was UPC customer support outsourced? It sure sounded like it was. I spoke to 2 different agents on 2 occasions yesterday.

no it just happens, also they overheat terribly, I spent an hour trying to get mine running again on friday night, they just lock up completly.

pain in the ar$e!!

@iggypop2 enter 0 instead of -1 and that will work.

-1 is what it reverts to when you click save or apply.

its not outsourced but there would be multiple agents so if you call twice during a day thres a good chance you would get someone else.

Well, it hadn't reset itself when I got home this evening.

Also, 0 or -1 would not be accepted into the lease time thingy.

• Advertisement

ArthurG wrote: »
    Well, it hadn't reset itself when I got home this evening.

Also, 0 or -1 would not be accepted into the lease time thingy.

I got mine to go to -1 by entering in as many 9's as accepted - 999999999999

Set mine Lease Time to -1 and it seems to have prevented the restarting but am still have wireless issues. Still have to connect to the modem with a lan cable and change the wireless channel to be able to connect wirelessly

I got mine to go to -1 by entering in as many 9's as accepted - 999999999999
    sorry yes i meant 99999999999999 been a long time since ive done it lol

• Registered Users Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭docdolittle

sorry yes i meant 99999999999999 been a long time since ive done it lol

I had problems with -1, kept resetting constantly... I had to hold down 9 until the end and delete the last one, seemed to work...

I had problems with -1, kept resetting constantly... I had to hold down 9 until the end and delete the last one, seemed to work...

Seemed to work in that you got -1 or seemed to work in that it stopped resetting?

Depending on whether or not thie thing has reset itself again tonight, I'm tempted to actually turn of DHCP altogether, given that I'm using an external router configured via the dmz. If I do this and need to get back 'into' the EPC, do I need to assign an IP or what?.

That seemed to be happening to me aswell with the lease time at -1. Changed the setting to 999999999 and it stayed at that. Still had to go into the Wireless Basic settings and change the Channel to pick up wirelessly. Will turn off modem later and turn it on to see if I can reconnect without issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭magicspatula

Hi,

My problem I that I opted not to buy the wireless router from them as I'm only on the 10mb (since upgraded to 12mb) and it would've cost €50 extra. I thought I'd just buy a better one for the same price on ebay. So all I have at the moment is the Scientific Atlanta EPC2203 wired modem that they sent but I want to go wireless.

I can't seem to find the EPC2425 anywhere to buy. So do I have to go back to UPC and buy it from them? There's definitely no replacement for it?

Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭Dicksboro_man

guys, been trying to log into my router as usual today but "http://192.168.100.1/" stopped working for me, says "Safari cant connect so server" (as if theres no connection, which there is, or the address doesnt exist) im using OSX as you might have guessed but i dont think this matters :confused:

guys, been trying to log into my router as usual today but "http://192.168.100.1/" stopped working for me, says "Safari cant connect so server" (as if theres no connection, which there is, or the address doesnt exist) im using OSX as you might have guessed but i dont think this matters :confused:

Try http://192.168.1.1/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

Hi Guys,
    you might save my life.

My laptop won't connect to the UPC Cisco 2425 router.
    I get asked for a password, ( which I know is letters only) but my laptop will only let me enter numbers in for a password.

This hasn't happened with any other broadband or WIFI I have connected to from the laptop.

My laptop uses Intel PROset Wireless Wifi connection utility.

Is the only solution to try to change the password?

Advertisement