Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virgin Media: EPC2425/3925 Modem/Router and Speed Issues - POST HERE ONLY

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

it can be letters and numbers

but it sounds like you're using the quick connect utility thingy, there should be a pin number on the back of the modem for that.

otherwise go into basi wireless settings and get the pin number

you can also change here:
    http://support.upc.ie/app/answers/detail/a_id/198/p/5%2C54

• Registered Users Posts: 5,113 ✭✭✭homer911

I was thinking of switching to UPC for their 25Mb service - I'm pretty much put-off now. Better the devil you know...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

when it works it works really really well, i would suggest asking for the scientifica atlantica modem and the netgear router if you don't need voice. then you'll be fine

A

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭sgarvan

homer911 wrote: »
    I was thinking of switching to UPC for their 25Mb service - I'm pretty much put-off now. Better the devil you know...

Service is very good when it is working. The problems are mainly with the router they supply

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Hi,

My problem I that I opted not to buy the wireless router from them as I'm only on the 10mb (since upgraded to 12mb) and it would've cost €50 extra. I thought I'd just buy a better one for the same price on ebay. So all I have at the moment is the Scientific Atlanta EPC2203 wired modem that they sent but I want to go wireless.

I can't seem to find the EPC2425 anywhere to buy. So do I have to go back to UPC and buy it from them? There's definitely no replacement for it?

Thanks in advance.

That's not a problem at all. In fact, the 2203 is a far better modem. You can't buy a modem to use with UPC, as they must provision it for use on their network, and they won't do that for one you supply yourself. Get any router, and add it to the 2203 modem. Netgear or Linksys routers are highly recommended. Belkin are to be avoided.

• Advertisement

My connectivity issues are still present. Changed the lease time to 999999999 yesterday and left the modem on overnight and today. Came in from work today and cannot connect to the modem wirelessly. Have to plug the ethernet cable back into the router and change settings to connect wirelessly.

Another phone call to UPC now. Pain in the swiss this is as I have had the service over 1 week now and have not been able to use it correctly

jor el wrote: »
    That's not a problem at all. In fact, the 2203 is a far better modem. You can't buy a modem to use with UPC, as they must provision it for use on their network, and they won't do that for one you supply yourself. Get any router, and add it to the 2203 modem. Netgear or Linksys routers are highly recommended. Belkin are to be avoided.

So you are saying I cannot go onto Amazon or the likes and buy a different all in one wireless modem/router to work with UPC?

sgarvan wrote: »
    My connectivity issues are still present. Changed the lease time to 999999999 yesterday and left the modem on overnight and today. Came in from work today and cannot connect to the modem wirelessly. Have to plug the ethernet cable back into the router and change settings to connect wirelessly.

Another phone call to UPC now. Pain in the swiss this is as I have had the service over 1 week now and have not been able to use it correctly

On to UPC tech support earlier and they are getting numerous calls about this particular modem, with the majority of them being related to wireless connectivity. They told me that there is a firmware update being worked on to correct the wireless issue but no idea how long it will take to come out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

So you are saying I cannot go onto Amazon or the likes and buy a different all in one wireless modem/router to work with UPC?

yes exactly that...

You can however bridge the cable router and supply your own wireless router (thats commonly also known as a cable router). Perhaps that's where the confusion comes from.

I prefer the 2203 as a dumb modem with my own system than the 2425 "all in" combo router.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭magicspatula

bealtine wrote: »
    yes exactly that...

You can however bridge the cable router and supply your own wireless router (thats commonly also known as a cable router). Perhaps that's where the confusion comes from.

I prefer the 2203 as a dumb modem with my own system than the 2425 "all in" combo router.

Great, thanks for your help! For some reason I thought I had to get the wireless router off them too. But does it have to be a particular type? As in not a DSL one?

Excuse my ignornace!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭ArthurG

2 days now without a reset - perhaps a bit of luck finally.

Router is working really well, getting this on 25meg package (wireless):

1394614339.png

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

Great, thanks for your help! For some reason I thought I had to get the wireless router off them too. But does it have to be a particular type? As in not a DSL one?

right
    The router will have an Ethernet port rather than an rj11(telephone) socket.
    (used for dsl)
    They are often called cable modems.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭Dicksboro_man

this worked for me,cheers, but now the username and password i'd been using for the last year and a half wont log me in... :(

username: admin
    password: W2402

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

These are my constant speeds with no disconnects since they sorted me with the Scientific Atlanta- Netgear combo..

1394692458.png

Edit: Sorry I'm on the 25meg btw

this worked for me,cheers, but now the username and password i'd been using for the last year and a half wont log me in... :(

username: admin
    password: W2402

Leave the username and password blank that pops up. You use that password to get into the advanced settings.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Rob C

Still happening with me. Drops off, sometimes it resets totally etc

Think I'm going to bite the bullet and get a Time Capsule from Apple. Can use it as a backup HD for my Mac and also it's an Airport Extreme base station so could bridge the Cisco modem to it.

That router is the pits.

Leave the username and password blank that pops up. You use that password to get into the advanced settings.
    nope, still won't let me log in to turn off the router's firewall..

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭MickeyD

Has anyone had problems with bridge mode last night / this morning? I get the feeling they pushed out a new firmware update. I had to reset mine to factory to even get into the router page (.100.1 didn't respond) and when i put it back into bridge mode, it still wouldn't work. Had to reset it again to switch back to router mode. It had been working fine for months before this.

MickeyD wrote: »
    Has anyone had problems with bridge mode last night / this morning? I get the feeling they pushed out a new firmware update. I had to reset mine to factory to even get into the router page (.100.1 didn't respond) and when i put it back into bridge mode, it still wouldn't work. Had to reset it again to switch back to router mode. It had been working fine for months before this.

Look back a page or two - have had to move away from bridging ymself due to issues - using dmz functionality now and all is running perfectly.

As an update on that, the EPC hasn't reset itself once since I changed the DHCP lease time (I know thats irrational but it hasn't), and there was a 90 minute power cut in Lucan village last night. I thought it would loose all the settings when it came back but didn't - fingers crossed all good at the moment.

Do you get the TEL1 light flashing in bridge mode?.

Have cancelled my subscription with UPC as the issues I have been having are unabled to be resolved. The modem constantly resets etc and no one can connect to the router. UPC have no interest in offering the Thompson modem as a replacemnt so had no choice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭MickeyD

ArthurG wrote: »
    Look back a page or two - have had to move away from bridging ymself due to issues - using dmz functionality now and all is running perfectly.

As an update on that, the EPC hasn't reset itself once since I changed the DHCP lease time (I know thats irrational but it hasn't), and there was a 90 minute power cut in Lucan village last night. I thought it would loose all the settings when it came back but didn't - fingers crossed all good at the moment.

Do you get the TEL1 light flashing in bridge mode?.

Gah, so they just decided to break bridge mode? For the DMZ do you have a port on your router's LAN hooked up to the EPC and then DMZ to the router's LAN IP?

I haven't come across the losing settings thing yet, and I plug my router out each night but that might change now that it's back in router more. Having to set DNS lease time option to stop automatic factory resets is a joke!

I dunno about the TEL1 light, I'll try it again in bridge mode later and report back.

Gah, so they just decided to break bridge mode? For the DMZ do you have a port on your router's LAN hooked up to the EPC and then DMZ to the router's LAN IP?.

Yeah thats pretty much it - read back through this thread there's lots of instructions on how to do it.....

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Siim

Same thing here. :confused: Last night my connection suddenly dropped (EPC2425). So I discovered that the Bridge mode doesn't work anymore... and the "Online" LED on the modem wasn't on also... It worked fine for the last 8 months for me since I joined UPC.

Sucks big time... guess I'm gonna ask them for the 2203 modem, because I have my own Wi-Fi router.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 ArtXus

yo same thing happened to me! I went to bed with whole setup nicely working. epc2425 bridged with my netgear WNDR3700 (http://pf.skynet.ie/blog/142/cisco-epc2425-in-bridging-mode/ Idid it this way)
    I didn't have any problems with it until today morning.
    No internet connection. 1st time all lights on epc were working (including online) but no connection. Tried to reset it - no luck...
    any idea if what to do?
    :eek::eek::eek::eek:

I got it working:

1. Turned the modem off
    2. Held down the small reset button and same time switched the modem back on
    3. After ~15 second I let the reset button go
    4. Then went to the modems admin panel via LAN cable (192.168.1.1) and reconfigured it:
    a) disabled wireless AP (I have my own wifi router with dd-wrt which is way better)
    b) configured DMZ to use my routers IP (mine was 192.168.1.10)
    c) disabled firewall in modem

And the Internet was back on, but I don't like this workaround much...

I don't know why they f*cked up the Bridge Mode. Sucks.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 ArtXus

it is working for me now. what I did:

Enabled Bridge in
    -Wireless -> Bridging ->
    Wireless Bridging enabled.
    switched access point off in:
    -Wireless -> Basic ->
    Access Point disabled.

Connected my net gear router to cisco and thats it!
    is working perfectly now:))

:pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

Have cancelled my subscription with UPC as the issues I have been having are unabled to be resolved. The modem constantly resets etc and no one can connect to the router. UPC have no interest in offering the Thompson modem as a replacemnt so had no choice.

They sorted me out with the scientific atlanta - netgear router combo and all is sweet since, try them for this..

• Registered Users Posts: 17 grey_man

Apologies didn't see the EPC 2425 sticky :o

Hi there,

I'm trying to set my router to act as a modem only and leave all the routing/firewall functions to my belkin play router.

I had this working well for about a month until this morning when there was no internet connectivity. I unplugged both routers for a while and tried again, still nothing. I then used the reset button on the 2425 and connected my laptop via wire. I could then connect to the web.

The way I did this before is I disabled the wireless functions on the 2425. I then used http://192.168.100.1/GatewayMode.asp to change from 'Router' to 'Bridge' mode.

I then cloned my wlan card's mac address into my belkin router and once my 2425 had reboot everything was working fine.

I tried to repeat this process but can't seem to get it working again. When I select bridge mode the router reboots and the DS, US and Ethernet 1 lights will come on while the 'Online' light remains off.

I won't be able to connect to the 192.168.100or1.1 router page from now on and have to reset the router via the push button at the back.

I tried cloning my lan card's mac address into the belkin as I was using cat5 but that didn't work either. I think the problem may be with the 2425?

Does anybody have any suggestions as to what might be the problem? It literally just stopped working overnight.

Thanks a lot!!
    G.

PS The wireless feature doesn't seem to be working either I haven't really looked into it but I assume Wireless>Basic>Access point enabled should work?
    Firmware Name
    epc2425-E10-5-v202r12812-110516cs_upc.bin
    Software Revision
    epc2425-E10-5-v202r12812-110516cs_upc

Guys, anyone find out whats the new username and password to log into the router? I badly need to turn off its firewall but can't after they changed the password or something! :O

• Advertisement

Guys, anyone find out whats the new username and password to log into the router? I badly need to turn off its firewall but can't after they changed the password or something! :O
    After reset you can log on with blank username & password and then change it and then go to the Setup menu.

Advertisement