Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virgin Media: EPC2425/3925 Modem/Router and Speed Issues - POST HERE ONLY

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

Wishox wrote: »
    Wired Matt, Wireless turned off, firewall turned off , looking at ping now and its 130ms, was told by "tech support" to have to pingtest to dublin ???? so basically any ping issues out side of dublin, (where i live) they dont see a problem with it being high !!!. cancelling tomorrow morning :mad:

Wait wait wait a sec.... you're basing your opinion of UPC's service by the results of Speedtest.net?
    Theres plenty of other tests that you can run.
    And also, were you doing the pingtest to the Limerick speedtest.net server?

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Wishox

roast wrote: »
    Wait wait wait a sec.... you're basing your opinion of UPC's service by the results of Speedtest.net?
    Theres plenty of other tests that you can run.
    And also, were you doing the pingtest to the Limerick speedtest.net server?

Not at all, As you might see in my original post, Treaceroutes to several servers to the uk after 8pm goes to over 120ms, constant disconnects, router resetting itself to factory settings, 3 different modems, 3 engineer callouts, i have the phone too so when the BB goes so does the phone, THATS what im basing my opinion of UPC's shabby service on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Crackity Jones

Can I ask those that have 30MB what kind of wireless speeds they are getting? I recently upgraded and max I can get is 22ish (wired is 29.5MB). When I was on 20MB I'm pretty sure I was getting up to 19MB wirelessly. Can't see the point of upgrading for another 2-3MB.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

the wireless will degrad the further you are away from the modem.

the speed reduces to increase signal strength as you get further away,

ie at 60 feet you might only get 1-2mb

the wireless will degrad the further you are away from the modem.

the speed reduces to increase signal strength as you get further away,

ie at 60 feet you might only get 1-2mb

Ah yea I know but I'm using the laptop under the same conditions. In the kitchen or right beside the router I can get 21/22MB max wireless on the 30MB connection whereas previously on the 20MB I could get 19MB in the same areas

• Advertisement

so what you're probably experiencin is the max connection speed in that location is about 22-25 mb, hence why you were able to achieve the 19mb before hand on the 20mb.

its a limitation of wifi design, you will never achieve as fast a speed as you would wired.

One way to think about it is:

If you a have a queue going into a shop with one one till to service customers. You make the door into the shop bigger to allow more customers in but don't put any more tills in place to serve them the queue will remain the same.

The bottleneck is the WiFi, not your broadband.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Captain Commie

just got rid of the EPC2425 and havent been happier, guy that came out was well aware of the issues and i pressed him for one of the older types that works and he went out to the van and got me it, only problem being he didnt have a wireless router to give me, but to hell with that, im off to PC World soon to get a new one, just so glad to have gotten rid of that bundle of crap

so what you're probably experiencin is the max connection speed in that location is about 22-25 mb, hence why you were able to achieve the 19mb before hand on the 20mb.

its a limitation of wifi design, you will never achieve as fast a speed as you would wired.

One way to think about it is:

If you a have a queue going into a shop with one one till to service customers. You make the door into the shop bigger to allow more customers in but don't put any more tills in place to serve them the queue will remain the same.

The bottleneck is the WiFi, not your broadband.
    Thanks for that. Bit of a waste of €8 a month for me! To rub salt in the wound they've just announced on twitter new packages to launch 9 May with entry level package now 25MB.

not really, if you 're looking to use that full 30Mb just use wired.

TBH though the only users who would see benifets of 20-30Mb would be heavy torrent users.

Anything above 8Mb is fine for standard web browsing, video streaming, email etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭docdolittle

not really, if you 're looking to use that full 30Mb just use wired.

TBH though the only users who would see benifets of 20-30Mb would be heavy torrent users.

Anything above 8Mb is fine for standard web browsing, video streaming, email etc etc.

You obviously don't live in a house full of people using consoles laptops & pc at the same time :p Skyplayer, youtube, streaming music and online gaming doesn't cut it with 8 meg sometimes. 20 is perfect for my house right now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭Danger781

I've gone from getting around 400 kB/s to 20kB/s on Megaupload.. What the hell :mad: So much for 20mb broadband..

EDIT: The size of the file has a huge impact on the download speed.. I use a streaming site that links to megaupload, and watches the video in DivX player as it downloads. For a typical 20 min episode of a series, I'm literally getting between 0kB/s and 20kB/s.. But for a movie I hit 600kB/s? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,001 ✭✭✭Wossack

Danger781 wrote: »
    I've gone from getting around 400 kB/s to 20kB/s on Megaupload.. What the hell :mad: So much for 20mb broadband..

EDIT: The size of the file has a huge impact on the download speed.. I use a streaming site that links to megaupload, and watches the video in DivX player as it downloads. For a typical 20 min episode of a series, I'm literally getting between 0kB/s and 20kB/s.. But for a movie I hit 600kB/s? :confused:

sounds like a prob with megaupload to me tbf..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭TheRedDevil10

Are there any risks in turning off the firewall protection ?

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭mgsrocks

Are there any risks in turning off the firewall protection ?

Does anyone have an answer to the above? If I have the firewall enabled it brings web browsing to a crawl on anything connected to the network when downloading torrents. With is disabled I can browse no problem and get fairly fast download speeds.

I have Microsoft Security Essentials installed on all computers. Would it be enough?

I would leave the firewall on, Microsoft security essentials won't protect you from someone trying to hack your computer.

Your browsing is going slow with firewall on while torrenting because of the potentially thouabds of connections your pc is making and people connecting to your pc.

Its slow because the modems firewall is overloaded with the amount of connections, probably Maxing out your bandwidth as well a little.

You can turn it off, but it is your first line of defence from the Internet.

If you do, make sure you have a decent firewall installed on every computer in your network and a good anti virus

• Registered Users Posts: 7,001 ✭✭✭Wossack

turning off ip flood protection is usually the solution for a slow connection while torrenting

• Registered Users Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭Danger781

Is it normal that I cant get a wireless internet connection 15 feet away? It's going through a ceiling, but that didn't affect our previous modem router.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭yoyo83

hope anyone can help me out on this one. i have a problem with the router, got a new phone yesterday (blackberry) which has the wifi on it but everytime i head off and come back in the house the internet on the laptops dont seem to work at all or when i turn off the phone it happens aswell , i have to do is plug out the router and plug it back in again and then it works... this is goin to be so annoying in the house as their is 5 of us who have laptops! HELP!!

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭DMBandit

Here's one for ye, been at this for a couple of days. Rang Upc they can't help. Also had another thread but seeing as I have this modem, maybe someone here has seen this. I can connect to wifi and browse the internet with my phone. I can connect to the network with my laptop but websites won't resolve. Here's the thing, I can't even get into the modem settings through my browser, even though I can ping it! And this is with a wired connection! No ips or websites will work. But again, connection and browsing is fine with my phone. All settings are correct on the laptop and many other wifi networks have worked with it in the past. Just not the modem that I got from Upc with my new broadband 2 days ago. It's so weird that I can't even access the modem settings through ip! Any ideas? :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

DMBandit wrote: »
    Here's one for ye, been at this for a couple of days. Rang Upc they can't help. Also had another thread but seeing as I have this modem, maybe someone here has seen this. I can connect to wifi and browse the internet with my phone. I can connect to the network with my laptop but websites won't resolve. Here's the thing, I can't even get into the modem settings through my browser, even though I can ping it! And this is with a wired connection! No ips or websites will work. But again, connection and browsing is fine with my phone. All settings are correct on the laptop and many other wifi networks have worked with it in the past. Just not the modem that I got from Upc with my new broadband 2 days ago. It's so weird that I can't even access the modem settings through ip! Any ideas? :-)

Have you tried sticking a pin into the reset button on the back of the modem this should help if your having problems getting access to the modem if this doesn't work the modem may be faulty:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭CyCaboose

Are UPC still using this modem or have they got anything new yet?

Im having serious issues with my internet connection lately. Sometimes my modem just doesn't work and needs me to do a daily reboot of it for it to start working again.

Other times the wireless just doesn't seem to work - it randomly drops the connection. If I "ping -t 192.168.1.1" I get insane pings to the router (3000ms+) and lots of packet loss. I have tried changing channels countless times and it usually doesn't help - even when sitting right beside the modem with my laptop. If I plug in the cable it does help the ping a lot often, but I will still get the occasional packet loss and pings greater than 10 ms, for a wired connection that seems odd.

I do live in an apartment block that has a lot of wireless routers - so I do think there may be interference - but Im almost positive that the UPC modem is not helping things since it often just doesn't work at all and works fine once I reboot it.

Anyone else experience these issues in an apartment - if it is interference what can I do? Will UPC give me a decent modem (the scientific atlantic one) and let me use my own router? (i tried gateway mode on this Cisco router but that still gave me issues). I'm thinking I need a new modem and possibly need to switch to Wireless N to get my WiFi onto a higher frequency with less interference in the apartment block.

Any suggestions from people who've experienced similar issues with this modem?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 mrcage

Hello everyone.
    I'm new to this forum and to Ireland as well (I'm here for work since February, but I come from Italy).
    I would like only to inform you that yesterday the multicast streaming worked on my cisco router (xbox360 wired, windows 7 pc wireless) and I could enjoy 3 hours of stable and high quality streaming with tversity.
    Obviously, as soon as I switched off the router and on again (cannot leave the router on endlessly), multicast is not working anymore, but I think that some fix must exist, because I swear it worked without doing anything both to the hardware and to the software.
    Hope someone will find the way in the end, in the meantime I go back to my 1 tera portable hard disk... and damn upc for this piece of s... (it's like the Fastweb router in Italy...different countries, same pieces of s..)

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Sculdugery

im having trouble with the firewall being enabled in the router either thomson or the cisco, it takes over 30 seconds to load web page? and ping is of the wall 9032, i thought you should only have one FW and AV, i have windows firewall on so is that enough?

cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 mrcage

It happened again this evening: maybe it happens only by chance, but I suspect there could be a sort of timer that stop multicast function.
    I will try again tomorrow, but it seems that if you leave the pc connected wireless for a few hours, then you switch on the xbox wired, multicast work.
    I'll try again and let you know.

mrcage wrote: »
    Hello everyone.
    I'm new to this forum and to Ireland as well (I'm here for work since February, but I come from Italy).
    I would like only to inform you that yesterday the multicast streaming worked on my cisco router (xbox360 wired, windows 7 pc wireless) and I could enjoy 3 hours of stable and high quality streaming with tversity.
    Obviously, as soon as I switched off the router and on again (cannot leave the router on endlessly), multicast is not working anymore, but I think that some fix must exist, because I swear it worked without doing anything both to the hardware and to the software.
    Hope someone will find the way in the end, in the meantime I go back to my 1 tera portable hard disk... and damn upc for this piece of s... (it's like the Fastweb router in Italy...different countries, same pieces of s..)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 pollus

Any idea how to enable SNMP on that device?
    I was not able to find an option to do so.
    Firmware I use is: epc2425-E10-5-v202r12812-100519cs_upc.bin
    Advanced option well all of them give me this : “This feature has not been enabled in your cable modem.”
    Any help is appreciated.
    Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

pollus wrote: »
    Any idea how to enable SNMP on that device?
    I was not able to find an option to do so.
    Firmware I use is: epc2425-E10-5-v202r12812-100519cs_upc.bin
    Advanced option well all of them give me this : “This feature has not been enabled in your cable modem.”
    Any help is appreciated.
    Cheers

There is no option. Its not possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭devil-80

Does anyone have strange noise coming out from ac/dc adapter connected to the modem?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭omerin

devil-80 wrote: »
    Does anyone have strange noise coming out from ac/dc adapter connected to the modem?

No problems here.

UPC only take responsibility if you don't get 30mb, (if you are on that service) when wired to the router. I have wireless and get only 7mb to 12mb. Also got the broadband coming through the electric and still getting between 7 to 12. Two service calls and as mentioned if they get 30mb wired they can't do anything. Given the netgear wireless device and made no differnece. So frustrating! PC directly upstairs from router :( getting 3mb up though :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Kells...

I get 16mbs average with it.On Wired.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 gster30

I can log into basic setup, and advanced, although nothing in advanced is turned on, is there a way to activate advanced features??

For those who don't know - Advanced:
    username: admin
    password: W2402

I am able to browse all but one forum site i was using that is using ssl encrytion,

I've edited my hosts file with ip, and it times out,
    I can log into site when using an online proxy, so its definetly either the router or UPC blocking the site, the site does feature a lot of torrent chat, but why would they block a site just for that.
    I'm a member of other torrent sites that are not blocked, only difference is that they don't use ssl encryption.
    Its been gone about 5 days now, and its gone on 2 computers, 1 running xp and 1 running windows 7,

Tried open dns in tcp/ip properties with no luck,

Its a very curious issue,

Forgot to add: can you just replace the cable modem entirely, I wanted to grab a buffalo product due to its native dd-wrt firmware support, any recomendations welcomed though.

Advertisement