Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How far would you change your looks for a woman?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭ToniTuddle

How very noble of you Tuds.

:pac:
    That_Guy wrote: »
    Why don't you just buy them for yourself then? :pac:

Oui! It's the thought that counts :p I've plenty hoodies but only 1 boys one. They are waaaay better. More cuddley and warm and yer hands don't even fit out through the arms sure that's feicin awesome :pac:

Na any dude I've dated I've never tried to change their style clothing or hair wise. If I'm with someone then it's because I really care about them and find them perfect just the way they look then and there. My mate used to give out about how they were dressed though!
    Only thing I did try to change was their attitude to hating my "hippie" friends as they called them :D And to please shave every once in a while so I don't have my chin ripped up all the time. Compromise eh :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

What is the problem with shaving???

I shave every day, and while it is a slightly formal office environment at work, I honestly don't find it a problem.

As for how far I'd change for a woman, it depends. There are certain colours that i cannot wear. Pale skinned with ginger (but mostly grey now) hair doesn't lend itself to too many colours!! :)
    If she tried picking out stuff like that, i'd say no, simple as.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,636 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

ToniTuddle wrote: »
    Never kissed a dude with a beard so no idea if that would hurt...doubt it?
    Well hello there Toni.
    /Strokes beard meaningfully
    Might end up buying the guy a tshirt or big cuddly hoodie that is little bit different to his regular ones.
    My Darling Toni, I'm so sorry. It's not you, it's me...and hoodies. I was happy to try wearing the PVC, the latex was interesting and what you can do with a string of pearls is awesome but I just can't be seen wearing a hoodie.
    I sure that someday you'll realise it's for the best that we end this here and now.
    Forgive me.
    John.

P.S. Can I have my Miles Davies CD's back?

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

Well, shaving is the main thing – the OH just don’t like the stubble and although I’ve long held dreams to grow a really great handlebar mustache, it’s not a deal-breaker.
    On clothes, she doesn’t pick stuff out for me but I do like to get her opinion on clothes – the fact is she’s far more informed and has better taste than me so I value her opinion.
    I can tell this because on mornings when she dresses the kids they look like beautifully presented children out of a Benetton poster.
    When I dress them they look like miniature clowns who’ve let themselves go.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

cocoa wrote: »
    wow, by some of the responses here I'd assume that once in a relationship people are supposed to remain exactly as they were when it began, and people should only ever date people they consider utter perfection from the start.

mental...

this screams of "Im so glad somebody wants me I'll do anything to keep them happy including dressing how they want"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭ICE HOUSE

Im like some of the previous posters. I had a great beard for about 15 years that I was so proud of but the OH made me shave it off and stay clean shaven. I figured it was best for my sanity, now I have peace no more complaining and Im saving a fortune on Anadin tablets :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

krudler wrote: »
    this screams of "Im so glad somebody wants me I'll do anything to keep them happy including dressing how they want"

No it doesn't! I think cocoa is just saying that sometimes if a partner mentions you look good in blue or likes you with a bit of stubble, or your hair in a certain style that you might be more inclined to do those things as a result of being in a relationship than if you were not with that person.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭Gandalph

No it doesn't!

It kinda does, but isnt that what relationships are about? Refusing to change things and acting like a child about it doesnt help anyone. I can guarentee there are alot of guys reading this going "Jesus I made alot bigger changes than just shaving for my OH, those guys should consider themselves lucky"

Im not saying just give in to your OH, that b*tch asks you to shave then you ask her to stay waxed, she says no you say no.

And if she crosses the line and asks you change underwear more than once a week then you better be getting laid more than once a week!

You scratch my back etc

"Yeah, she showed me what clothes to wear. She made me cut my hair. She picked out my shoes. She made me shave. She put me on a diet. She made me take up jogging. She made me quit smoking. Teeth whitened, eyes lasered...
    She left me cos I'm not the man she fell in love with." :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

Surely most men would like the special lady in their lives to find them as attractive as possible. If this can be accommodated without wholesale ‘Shane Warne-like’ changes then why not?
    The chances of getting me getting some sweet lovin’ are practically zero if I’ve 2-day stubble. So I guess the OH is controlling my appearance somewhat.
    But I’m ok with this.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,081 ✭✭✭✭beertons

she shaves when i do

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

Gandalph wrote: »
    It kinda does, but isnt that what relationships are about? Refusing to change things and acting like a child about it doesnt help anyone. I can guarentee there are alot of guys reading this going "Jesus I made alot bigger changes than just shaving for my OH, those guys should consider themselves lucky"

Im not saying just give in to your OH, that b*tch asks you to shave then you ask her to stay waxed, she says no you say no.

And if she crosses the line and asks you change underwear more than once a week then you better be getting laid more than once a week!

You scratch my back etc

Well I disagree that changing small things screams "I'm terrified she'll leave".

Interesting the theme of shaving! I like my boyfriend with a bit of stubble (rash notwithstanding) but he prefers himself clean-shaven. I've never asked him not to shave, but because he knows my (very slight) preference he sometimes doesn't bother.

OldGoat wrote: »
    Well hello there Toni.
    /Strokes beard meaningfully

Ya saucy mare! :pac:
    My Darling Toni, I'm so sorry. It's not you, it's me...and hoodies. I was happy to try wearing the PVC, the latex was interesting and what you can do with a string of pearls is awesome but I just can't be seen wearing a hoodie.
    I sure that someday you'll realise it's for the best that we end this here and now.
    Forgive me.
    John.

And just like that you break my blood pumper so easily :(
    You are NOT getting any of the recordings or the PVC back that's for sure!
    I'll consider the Miles Davies CD's....but only after I've listened to them exactly 100 times and cried excessively while thinking about our lost love.

Goodbye John

*quietly sobs in a dramatic fashion*

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Forgive me.
    John.

We don't want to know about you giving her pearl necklaces!!
    Malari wrote:
    No it doesn't! I think cocoa is just saying that sometimes if a partner mentions you look good in blue or likes you with a bit of stubble, or your hair in a certain style that you might be more inclined to do those things as a result of being in a relationship than if you were not with that person.
    I agree with this - small adjustments are not making yourself over or changing who you are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭jaffacakesyum

I wouldn't go around changing a guys looks for me. If I'm with him, it's cos I like him for him. That's not to say, that buying/suggesting clothes or suggesting a haircut/shave etc. is a horrible thing to do. At the end of the day, I would like to look good for my boyfriend so I'd take into account if he liked me wearing particular clothes for example. At the end of the day it's my ultimate decision. Same goes for him.

I do think it's a bit ridiculous that guys won't shave for their girlfriends. :rolleyes: How would you like it if a girl refused to shave her legs/armpits etc.? I'm not saying everyone has to be completely hairless/clean shaven all the time. But it doesn't take much to put in a little effort to please your partner.

How would you like it if a girl refused to shave her legs/armpits etc?

Ha!! Never thought of it like that :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭fasty

My girlfriend bought me some stuff I normally wouldn't wear and I ended up liking it. It was like going on one of those makeover shows!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

I do think it's a bit ridiculous that guys won't shave for their girlfriends. :rolleyes: How would you like it if a girl refused to shave her legs/armpits etc.? I'm not saying everyone has to be completely hairless/clean shaven all the time. But it doesn't take much to put in a little effort to please your partner.

What if the guy enjoys having a beard?

Theres nothing wrong with suggesting something might look cool on a partner if you know its the kind of thing they'd wear and look good in, but I wouldnt go telling girls I'd prefer they wear their hair down rather than up, or wear dresses rather than jeans or always to make sure they wear makeup, you'd be killed. Whats that saying along the lines of every woman looks at a man and thinks about the guy she can turn him into.

What if the guy enjoys having a beard?

What if the girl hates shaving and enjoys leaving her legs hairy? :p

I'm not giving out to guys with beards. I actually think they look sexy ;) But I don't like kissing guys with stubble or beards. That said, I wouldn't force them to shave!! I just think the kinda guy I'd like to be with would be considerate enough to shave for me. I'm not saying every guy should shave for his OH. I just think it's not much to compromise.

• Advertisement

I'm not giving out to guys with beards. I actually think they look sexy ;) But I don't like kissing guys with stubble or beards. That said, I wouldn't force them to shave!! I just think the kinda guy I'd like to be with would be considerate enough to shave for me. I'm not saying every guy should shave for his OH. I just think it's not much to compromise.

Never met one yet anyway. well one of my exes used to get hers waxed rather than shaved so let it grow enough to be able to wax it, wasnt a total turn off or anything but girls look way better with smooth legs. you'd think by now evolution would have copped us men dont want hairy backs and women dont want hairy legs and altered itself as such :pac:

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

I havent really changed myself for anyone.. usually shaved a bit more and made sure my clothes were ironed a bit more.. but thats about it.

I tend to take pride in my appearance anyway so when going out or meeting friends I always make an effort, shave, wear properly ironed clothes etc.

With my build most things suit but certain colours definitely dont suit so I wont touch them with a bargepole.

An ex of mine bought me a rather expensive top when we first started going out. To say it was not the best looking top or most suitable for me is an understatement but the brand was an expensive one.

She asked me to wear it out one night and I reluctantly agreed. We met some of her friends in the pub and after a few drinks, one of her mates informed me that the top I was wearing was horrific and didnt suit me at all. Upon hearing that, it quickly put an end to any further attempts she made to buy me stuff without me being there :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

If a girl hates shaving then she shouldn't save. If it's an issue for her fella then maybe it's just not true love.

Chances are, given your preference for men with clean shaven faces then these are the chaps you will end up kissing though, so it's going to be a non-issue unless you end up going out with them, and only if they later decide they might like to grow a beard.

It's basically two sides to the same coin, you say it's not much compromise for a chap to shave for his OH, maybe the chap might feel it's not much compromise for his missus to deal with his beard.

As per usual, people seem to think compromise means someone agreeing to do what you want...this is not the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Morgase

Never met one yet anyway.

Greetings! :pac: I freely admit I hate shaving my legs cause I'm an idiot and always end up nicking myself. So my legs have been ignored now for over two weeks :o

Before you think I'm vile altogether, it's because I'm in a LDR and when I'm not seeing my boyfriend I just don't bother doing the legs. I make the effort when I do see him though, which means I've probably just proved your point!

On topic, I don't really get why a person would try to alter their partner's appearance to the extent of asking them to shave off a beard or other drastic measures. Surely if you fell for him with a beard, or with unusual dress sense, you wouldn't want to change him that much? :confused: Does not compute!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

Morgase wrote: »
    Greetings! :pac: I freely admit I hate shaving my legs cause I'm an idiot and always end up nicking myself. So my legs have been ignored now for over two weeks :o

one for you?? :D:D:D

http://girlswithhairylegs.net/

If a girl hates shaving then she shouldn't save. If it's an issue for her fella then maybe it's just not true love.

Chances are, given your preference for men with clean shaven faces then these are the chaps you will end up kissing though, so it's going to be a non-issue unless you end up going out with them, and only if they later decide they might like to grow a beard.

It's basically two sides to the same coin, you say it's not much compromise for a chap to shave for his OH, maybe the chap might feel it's not much compromise for his missus to deal with his beard.

As per usual, people seem to think compromise means someone agreeing to do what you want...this is not the case.

Nope. I absolutely hate shaving but I would do it for my boyfriend and wouldn't complain about it as I am quite willing to compromise in a relationship. Same with other aspects of life.

I just don't see how shaving for your girlfriend is such a big deal seeing as she (probably) does it for you every day/couple of days.

Also, if I meet a guy I like I don't think to myself "oh wait, he has a beard. this isn't going to work" if he's ticked the boxes in everything else!!

Morgase wrote: »
    On topic, I don't really get why a person would try to alter their partner's appearance to the extent of asking them to shave off a beard or other drastic measures. Surely if you fell for him with a beard, or with unusual dress sense, you wouldn't want to change him that much? :confused: Does not compute!

It really doesnt make sense, if they had a beard or stubble (which I always do) then you've never seen them otherwise why ask them to change their appearance?dont like beards? dont date a guy with a beard! its the equivalent of a guy starting to date a blonde then saying "actually I prefer brunettes, I like you though so if you could go ahead and dye your hair thatd be great"

It really doesnt make sense, if they had a beard or stubble (which I always do) then you've never seen them otherwise why ask them to change their appearance?dont like beards? dont date a guy with a beard! its the equivalent of a guy starting to date a blonde then saying "actually I prefer brunettes, I like you though so if you could go ahead and dye your hair thatd be great"
    Thats advocating dating someone on looks alone. Not a good basis for a relationship. :)

Thats advocating dating someone on looks alone. Not a good basis for a relationship. :)

No but being physically attracted to each other is an important part, I sure as shyte wouldnt want to date someone who didnt find me attractive, who would :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

Physical attraction is the only thing that you base it on. See a hott girl in the club, you don't think jaysus I bet she has some personality on her.

Anyone who says looks is not the most important thing when they start to explore any kind of relationship aiming for a sexual one is a lie. I've never gone on a date with a girl I've not been attracted to

Advertisement