Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How far would you change your looks for a woman?

Options
  • 10-07-2011 7:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭

Here we a have a good example of how meeting Miss Right can change how Mr Right looks. We started off with an aging former sports star with a pot belly caused by his love of meat pies, beer and junk food, you know all the good things that makes life worth living for the male of the species. Then one year later we end up with the results in photo 2 and 3. So how far would you change your looks for a woman? Lose a few Kilos, give up booze? Go under the knife?

Before
    166568.bmp

After
    166570.jpg

166571.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

i'm made to shave every now and again. . . the b!tch!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,387 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

If she's going out with you and then decides she wants you to change your appearance to suit her you are too good for her. If you don't find someone attractive in the first place why are you going out with them?

I'm constantly amazed at the level of tolerance there is for women controlling their hubbies/bfs. In the reverse situation there would be uproar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

Sardonicat wrote: »
    If she's going out with you and then decides she wants you to change your appearance to suit her you are too good for her. If you don't find someone attractive in the first place why are you going out with them?

I'm constantly amazed at the level of tolerance there is for women controlling their hubbies/bfs. In the reverse situation there would be uproar.

True, I blame the Irish mammy effect, the girlfriend just replaces the mother dragging you around shops and picking your clothes out. Thats when the slide starts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

Is that Shane Warne?

The fcukin state of him in the second and third photo,christ on a bike.

As for the question at hand,it really depends on the girl and what exactly she wanted me to do.

Things like getting more exercise or drinking less I wouldnt have a problem with because its good for you but things like trying to change the way I dress or anything like that then Im afraid no dice for you my love.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Its not as if he is an ugly bastard in the first one, he looks grand to me tbh!

Eh, I might get a hair cut or shave, anything more would be strictly for myself and not based on what anyone else wants.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭xoxyx

God - that guy looks better in the first pic than he does in the other ones.

But, on this topic, speaking as a girl, I don't understand the way some guys seem to think it such a bad thing to dress or do their hair for their girl.

Now, I'm my own woman and I have my own sense of style. But, having been with my OH for a few years now, I know what he likes and what he doesn't like. So, if we're heading out and I'm buying an outfit, I'll bear in mind what he thinks is sexy and take it into consideration. Just as if we were having dinner and I was choosing, I'd make sure it was something we both like.

I'm not talking about completely altering my style, but I would adjust it a little, perhaps, considering his views, which I value.

If a guy says to a girl that he prefers her hair worn loose, there's no problem. But when a girl says to a guy that she prefers him clean shaven, it often translates into her becoming a controlling weapon!

Another example. My guy loves me wearing high heels. And I've definitely do it on the odd occasion when, otherwise, I'd wear something lower. I do it because I love to look good for him - and he does the same for me (with sexy clothes though - not with high heels)! The next evening we may be slouching in front of the tv wearing pjs (or less! :D), but I don't see the harm in continuing to make an effort to look good for your partner, and, if they suggest a difference in style or hair, or whatever, why not take it as good advice rather than jumping on the offensive??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭Magic Eight Ball

She'd have to be a pretty special lady to get me to shave on any sort of regular basis. :pac:

Only if it benefited me.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,387 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Corsendonk wrote: »
    True, I blame the Irish mammy effect, the girlfriend just replaces the mother dragging you around shops and picking your clothes out. Thats when the slide starts.

So stop dating Mammy replacements. And stop letting your mammy pick out your clothes after the age of 15.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭Maguined

Depends on the recommendation in question. If I am already indifferent to certain choice or style I wouldn't see much of a problem leaning towards the theoretical girlfriends preference but I would definitely not choose something I already had strong opinions on.

I had a large mole on my back that didn't bother me as it was on my back but my girlfriend at the time did not like it and suggested I get it removed, it was not a pushy or controlling suggestion at all and I figured I don't particularly want to keep it and she would prefer it removed so I went to my doctor and he arranged for it to be sliced off.

However no woman on this planet could convince me to start wearing skinny jeans, it is just a style I detest so would never wear them myself under any circumstances.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

It depends on the situation really. For example heading to a nice restaurant or event I'd don a shirt and tie if it was warranted. I've a few tattoos and piercings, I don't think I'd take them out just on the request of a girlfriend. It's very situational. In the past a girlfriend has never requested I change something about myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

A leave auld Shane alone, he is just trying to share Liz's interest in plastic surgery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭myflipflops

I'd probably agree to a haircut and maybe losing a few pounds. That would be about the height of it.

In fairness, Shane Warne was getting hair implants years ago, a long time before he met Hurley. He's just a vain guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭guitarzero

Depends how sexy she is, if shes hot commodity then I'd do a few chin ups.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,634 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

I never have and never will change my appearance for a woman. I'll do it for me but not for anyone else. It's my decision. I might seek advice and take opinion and I will listen to that advice and opinion but ultimatly any change is done for me as I am the person that needs to be happy in my own skin.

Is the bloke in the pictures known to have changed for a woman or did he just decide to improve his health? I don't know him or his history with the woman in the picture.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

My ex hated a few items of my clothes. Generally the ones I'd had for 10 years and were thread bare and scruffy, so clearly my favourite items of clothing. My Mam tried throwing them out several times when I lived at home so no way I was getting rid of them now I was a proper adult in my own apartment. She also preferred my hair cut tight and my face clean shaven, I may have grown my hair a little messy and gone a few weeks without shaving out of pure stubbornness even though I agreed with her. In hindsight I could have been a better boyfriend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Count Duckula

My girlfriend asks that I shave every day, because she thinks I look better clean shaven. And you know what? I have no problem shaving every day, because I want to look good for her.

If one day she decided I needed a new wardrobe and a totally different hairstyle, then sure, there'd be issues. But little things like being beardless or taking a little time to look smart for her aren't the mark of having a controlling girlfriend; it's the mark of a man who cares enough about his partner to look good for her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

OldGoat wrote: »
    I never have and never will change my appearance for a woman. I'll do it for me but not for anyone else. It's my decision. I might seek advice and take opinion and I will listen to that advice and opinion but ultimatly any change is done for me as I am the person that needs to be happy in my own skin.

Is the bloke in the pictures known to have changed for a woman or did he just decide to improve his health? I don't know him or his history with the woman in the picture.

A little background on Warnes transformation.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Very little, I hate being clean shaven so thats never gonna happen, havent been fully clean shaven in years, always have stubble or a trimmed down beard.

Suggesting clothes she might like the look of on you is fine as long as its not some crazy style change, no girl will ever get me into a pair of skin tight jeans.

I dont get wanting to change your partners appearance, it'd be the equivalent of us going "actually could you change your hair colour? I prefer blondes" date a blonde then!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭Gandalph

Some people feel themselves to be too rebelious to do simple tasks such as shave for their OH? Thats what I call taking someone for granted, consider yourself lucky to even have someone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Gandalph wrote: »
    Some people feel themselves to be too rebelious to do simple tasks such as shave for their OH? Thats what I call taking someone for granted, consider yourself lucky to even have someone

well why do some women insist on changing the guy they meet into the person they want instead of the person he is? I'm never clean shaven so its not like I'll just suddenly grow a beard she wont like, she'll never have seen me otherwise.

Theres a massive difference between taking someone for granted and letting yourself be told how to look and dress, no woman I know would change their appearance because a guy demanded it, why should we?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭spiritcrusher

I don't think I'd be too bothered if a girl asked me to change anything. I like messing with how I look every so often anyway so I'd probably be willing to give most things a go. Only thing I'd be cautious about would be cutting my hair very short, I've usually kept it between long and mid length since I was about 17 (23 now) but I'd still probably chance it out of curiosity (grows back sure).
    As of yet though no girl has ever said anything and I like to think I dress quite smartly most of the time :cool::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Eve_Dublin

I think the only time I ever asked a boyfriend to change his appearance was when I used to ask my ex to brush his teeth more than once a day. I used to have to bargain with him: I'll stop burping loudly after dinner if you brush your teeth. God we were so hot...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭cocoa

wow, by some of the responses here I'd assume that once in a relationship people are supposed to remain exactly as they were when it began, and people should only ever date people they consider utter perfection from the start.

mental...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭beano345

krudler wrote: »
    Very little, I hate being clean shaven so thats never gonna happen, havent been fully clean shaven in years, always have stubble or a trimmed down beard.

Suggesting clothes she might like the look of on you is fine as long as its not some crazy style change, no girl will ever get me into a pair of skin tight jeans.

I dont get wanting to change your partners appearance, it'd be the equivalent of us going "actually could you change your hair colour? I prefer blondes" date a blonde then!

im the same never clean shaven,i actually hate shaving with razors and just use an electric razor, though id probably compromise on this in a relationship as beard rash is painful for some girls.

hair is a different story, i have really curly spirally hair that i havn't changed in years and i think if a girl asked me to change my hairstlye its crossing the line a bit, though it could get a belt of a razor in the next while because greys are starting to appear :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭gargleblaster

I'd never ask a man to change his appearance for me, I'm not all that bothered about appearances. If he suddenly changed his style to something completely unexpected I might balk though. It'd have to be fairly radcial though - big flouncy blouses with ruffled sleeves a la Seinfeld, super baggy pants that show off your underwear, emo makeup - that kinda thing wouldn't sit well. I prefer the scruffy comfortable look (outside of formal events) so the more primped and polished look is one I wouldn't seek out in a guy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

Gandalph wrote: »
    I'm never clean shaven, if a woman told me to shave she can feck off, she was attracted to me with a beard she can feck off trying to change me.Same with my mohawk. I'm happy with who I am and what I look like, I'm not going to change.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭ToniTuddle

beano345 wrote: »
    though id probably compromise on this in a relationship as beard rash is painful for some girls.

Stubble can be very hot looking! Buuuuuuuuuut....
    It literally rips the feicin skin on your chin and the end of your nose! :mad::( Leaves it fierce sore and sensitive and then there's no more kissing until it's better as it's simply too uncomfortable! Though if you are in a relationship with time think yer skin gets bit tougher and used to it but it's a painful process. Never kissed a dude with a beard so no idea if that would hurt...doubt it?

I'd never try to change a guys style or anything like that. Might end up buying the guy a tshirt or big cuddly hoodie that is little bit different to his regular ones...and if he doesn't like them, then I get to wear them esp the hoodie :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

ToniTuddle wrote: »
    Might end up buying the guy a tshirt or big cuddly hoodie that is little bit different to his regular ones...and if he doesn't like them, then I get to wear them esp the hoodie :pac:

How very noble of you Tuds.

:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

ToniTuddle wrote: »

I'd never try to change a guys style or anything like that. Might end up buying the guy a tshirt or big cuddly hoodie that is little bit different to his regular ones...and if he doesn't like them, then I get to wear them esp the hoodie :pac:

Why don't you just buy them for yourself then? :pac:

Advertisement