Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How far would you change your looks for a woman?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Yeah I see where you are coming from, that there has to be some inital attraction in the first place...or does there?

How many times have you met couples who knew each other long before they started dating? In those cses the personality of the other would have been as much a driving force as looks.

Also take into account the TimesUp phoenema. Those interested in getting a leg over are very choosey early in the night but when the club are calling last orders even your friends not so attractive friend is getting her portion of passion.

The crux is if we are talking about a long term relationship or a hormone driven need to swop spit. Lust makes fools of us all. :o

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

OldGoat wrote: »
    Yeah I see where you are coming from, that there has to be some inital attraction in the first place...or does there?

How many times have you met couples who knew each other long before they started dating? In those cses the personality of the other would have been as much a driving force as looks.

Also take into account the TimesUp phoenema. Those interested in getting a leg over are very choosey early in the night but when the club are calling last orders even your friends not so attractive friend is getting her portion of passion.

The crux is if we are talking about a long term relationship or a hormone driven need to swop spit. Lust makes fools of us all. :o
    Ah but in those cases someone is always attracted to the other to make the move in the first place but they just get stuck in the friend zone for a while. Getting your hole over is different. I know a guy who went 8 months without getting laid, he would of hopped on me after another month I'd say!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭cocoa

cocoa wrote: »
    wow, by some of the responses here I'd assume that once in a relationship people are supposed to remain exactly as they were when it began, and people should only ever date people they consider utter perfection from the start.

mental...
    krudler wrote: »
    this screams of "Im so glad somebody wants me I'll do anything to keep them happy including dressing how they want"

oh, woops, I'm sorry for screaming, didn't realise what I was doing... Yup, dressing how someone requests is truly an incredibly desperate move.

Seriously though, do you honestly disagree? Do you really think that, in the real world, people should only ever begin a relationship with someone who is their ideal partner, completely, and once begun, neither partner should change in any way whatsoever? What if I feel like getting a haircut? 'I'm sorry, we have to break up, I liked you absolutely before but now you've changed and I can't ask you to change back or suggest any alternatives'

I mean, attraction isn't binary, least not for me anyway. I can start dating someone with brown hair who I find really hot, although classically black would be my favourite, and I could suggest that dying her hair would be an interesting thing to try, if she wanted. What's the big deal? If she dyes it and we both like it, cool, if she doesn't dye it, cool, if she dyes it, hates it and goes back, still grand...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

I could suggest that dying her hair would be an interesting thing to try, if she wanted. What's the big deal? If she dyes it and we both like it, cool, if she doesn't dye it, cool, if she dyes it, hates it and goes back, still grand, but if she dyes it and really likes it but I don't then I'm dumping her ass...

FYP.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭cocoa

I could suggest that dying her hair would be an interesting thing to try, if she wanted. What's the big deal? If she dyes it and we both like it, cool, if she doesn't dye it, cool, if she dyes it, hates it and goes back, still grand, but if she dyes it and really likes it but I don't then I'm dumping her ass...
    FYP.

uh huh... Can someone clarify if I'm still in the gentleman's club or have I inadvertently wandered into the mindreader's club?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

uh huh... Can someone clarify if I'm still in the gentleman's club or have I inadvertently wandered into the mindreader's club?

You're still the TGC, but for some strange reason you're thinking about toast.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

I'm thinking off the answer right now...Are you getting it yet?
    Come on man! CONCENTRATE!

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭Gandalph

the gentleman's club? aw lord Iv done gone and got myself lost again, I thought this was the desperate singles club :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭JamJamJamJam

Probably the majority of girls shave their armpits and legs and wear outfits which are really well thought out and put on make-up and everything to look their best. Guys have it pretty easy in comparison. I shave (I prefer to be cleanshaven in terms of appearance), exercise, wear somewhat decent clothes and.. y'know... wash... So, yeah, I'd definitely try to look my best for who I am, but I wouldn't change who I am.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,069 ✭✭✭✭beertons

My missus was thinking about getting laser done, to about 6/7 areas. Said I'd pay for half aswell. Cost me €600. Smooth legs always now, and other places. Happy days. Would I do it for her? Haven't thought about that fully. Maybe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭vangoz

Maybe shave more often, thats about it...........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

My ex started off gently 'I think you could do with a shave' Eventually I got suspicious of her intentions when, one evening, as we were putting on our dresses and make-up she said

'have you ever thought about getting implants'?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

It all depends. I'd have no problem making certain changes but others I wouldn't. I have in the past waxed (well hair removal creamed) my chest for a girl and maintained it. Didn't particularly like doing it (lot of hassle) but she was into it so meh. When I buy clothes I tend to just walk into a shop and pick up the first two or three things my size that aren't pink or yellow so I have no problem with girls picking out clothes for me (as long as we aren't talking skinny jeans or the like).

I think the main thing really though for me is if a girl I was seeing asked me to change something about myself I would make a request back for her to change something about herself to my liking (for instance the girl that asked me to wax my chest waxed her xxxxxx for me). If they agreed then fair enough. If they said no and then asked me again to change the thing about me again I'd probably drop them on the spot if I'm honest.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 16,186 ✭✭✭✭Maple

My Christ, I cannot believe that is Shane Warne! The state of him, he has no character or personality in his face anymore, he looks dreadful, all sheeny and plastic looking, and those eyebrows are straight out of Jersey Shore. He looks ghastly.

But on topic, I think there's a fine line with wanting your OH to look their best and then trying to mould them into something they're not. With my ex, the only thing I'd ask him to do, and normally would end up doing myself, was iron his shirt/t-shirt if we were going somewhere fancier than usual.

He used try and get me to pick out his clothes for him but I just told him that I wasn't his Mother and he had managed before he met me.

If I ever saw a tshirt/shirt/jumper/hoodie that I thought he'd like I'd pick it up, but it wasn't because I thought it would look good on him. He had his own innate sense of style, as do I and I wasn't going to change that about him. It'd be like having a walking, talking doll and I never played with dolls as a child so I'm not going to start now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

If a girl asked me to shave more often I certainly would (some girls can't take stubble in sensitive areas).

Changing the way I dress is a different story, being in possession of an impeccable sense of style*

*may not be true, but to some extent I think the way someone dresses is an outward expression in their personality**

**well, for some, others don't care how they're dressed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,660 ✭✭✭G86

It's ok to want to look nice for someone, and sometimes when you're doing that you'll take their tastes into account - but that's as far as it goes. You are who you are, and anyone who tries to change you never liked 'you' in the first place.

Advertisement