Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do you feed your dog

Options
  • 15-06-2011 8:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭

As i am in the process of changing my dogs food, i was wondering what fellow boardsies feed their beloved canine friends.

What do you feed your dog 80 votes

Royal canin
    0% 0 votes
    Eukanuba
    36% 29 votes
    Pedigree foods
    3% 3 votes
    Bakers
    16% 13 votes
    Winalot
    15% 12 votes
    Iam`s
    3% 3 votes
    Madra
    1% 1 vote
    Purina
    1% 1 vote
    Aldi/lidl/Tesco..Etc
    1% 1 vote
    Other
    21% 17 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭bookerboy

Switched three monthe ago from Royale Cannin to Red Mills Leader for my three year old Lab.Mainly for the price drop.
    Since i switched the dog looks better,is more active,not over weight anymore and his poops look alot better(not that poops ever looked good!!!!!)
    He's deffo better off on the Red Mills and it's half the price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭softmee

I feed my dog Hills Science Plan advanced fittnes and he looks very healthy, has shining coat etc, but i also give him tinned tuna and salmon from time to time and I add small spoon of sunflower oil to dry food.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭softmee

bookerboy wrote: »
    Switched three monthe ago from Royale Cannin to Red Mills Leader for my three year old Lab.Mainly for the price drop.
    Since i switched the dog looks better,is more active,not over weight anymore and his poops look alot better(not that poops ever looked good!!!!!)
    He's deffo better off on the Red Mills and it's half the price.

My dog have had diarrhoea after Leader, but its probably just because he was used to other food before.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,032 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Luath and for a treat Robbies

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Berns

Butchers
    998%5C5011941401998%5CIDShot_225x225.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,443 ✭✭✭Trampas

Royal canin sensitive. have to ask at the vets for it as they don't have it out front.

raw hind for treats

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

Red Mills Leader.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Helen1976

Arden Grange Lamb & Rice. No complaints :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Royal Canine Sensible and a few drops of salmon oil

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shanao

Real Nature from Maxi Zoo, poo is solid and they love it. I went for it because there's no preservatives in it and I have a giant breed who are prone to cancers. Less chemicals the better. Its expensive:( But worth it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭superfish

I have a sharpei and a german shepherd I feed them both with red mills racer plus I was previously feeding them pedagree but found out what rubbish it is and since the switch they are both looking extremely healthy the racer plus has a high protein and oil content its meant for greyhounds but as my german sheppard is still a pup an growing I figured she will need the extra protein and the oil for her joints and muscle development

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Wouldn't feed my dog any of the foods in the poll to be honest. I was feeding her Burns Lamb and rice but switched about a month ago to a hypo allergenic food called Wainrights Salmon and potato, I'm going to keep her on that for a little while for a change of scenery, it's Pet's at Home own brand. She is thriving on it but does a very strange thing where she picks out the odd piece, carries to the opposite side of the kitchen and leaves it there in case she eats that bit by mistake. Those bits never get eaten, they sit there till I pick them up and dump them :rolleyes:

About a week ago she also started refusing to drink the water from the kitchen tap, so the rest of us stopped drinking it as well. The theory being if the dog won't drink it we probably shouldn't either. She's starting to make me paranoid :D

superfish wrote: »
    I have a sharpei and a german shepherd I feed them both with red mills racer plus I was previously feeding them pedagree but found out what rubbish it is and since the switch they are both looking extremely healthy the racer plus has a high protein and oil content its meant for greyhounds but as my german sheppard is still a pup an growing I figured she will need the extra protein and the oil for her joints and muscle development

Sorry just going to have to point out that the racer doesn't have the right balance of calcium and phosphoros for a pup, let alone a shepherd. I would consider putting her onto a large breed puppy food until she is fifteen months at least if I was you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

My lot are on a raw food diet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭westies4ever

royal canin for west highland terriers and a drop of cod liver oil. they're thriving.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭kmmh58

I feed my pup Burns mini bites. So far she is liking it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

To be honest, Red Mills Racer isnt any better than Pedigree and i wouldnt feed it to my dogs.
    Its designed for Greyhounds so isnt meant for dogs with lower energy needs like shepherds and Shar Pei's.

High protein can actually be bad for some dogs and especially larger breeds as it can cause them to grow too fast and they can get a condition called Pano, ie growing pains which causes them to be lame, so i really would reconsider feeding that to your dogs tbh...

The ingredients are pretty crap. It starts with Cereals which is the main ingredients, then Meat and animal derivitives which are very cheap, low grade ingredients with little or low meat content, so in otherwards, its total crap.

Would you not consider changing to a better food with more meat content in it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭are you serious

Have my rottie on Select Gold Maxi, loves it, he doesnt eat the recommended or guideline daily allowance, he eats about 100g less than that most days and he's doing great :D

andreac wrote: »
    To be honest, Red Mills Racer isnt any better than Pedigree and i wouldnt feed it to my dogs.
    Its designed for Greyhounds so isnt meant for dogs with lower energy needs like shepherds and Shar Pei's.

High protein can actually be bad for some dogs and especially larger breeds as it can cause them to grow too fast and they can get a condition called Pano, ie growing pains which causes them to be lame, so i really would reconsider feeding that to your dogs tbh...

The ingredients are pretty crap. It starts with Cereals which is the main ingredients, then Meat and animal derivitives which are very cheap, low grade ingredients with little or low meat content, so in otherwards, its total crap.

Would you not consider changing to a better food with more meat content in it?

I was told red mills was very good ?? both dogs look extremely healthy since the change an very glossy coats ? the large breed puppy food is 50 to 60 euro a bag I dont even spend that on my own food lol the one im buying is 20euro for 15kg there is another red mills working dog food for shepherds would I be better off with this ?

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭seaniemoylan

royal canin boxer with a half can of pedigree chum mixed into it.
    she is very fussy and refuses to eat dry food on its own :)

• Advertisement

I was told red mills was very good ?? both dogs look extremely healthy since the change an very glossy coats ? the large breed puppy food is 50 to 60 euro a bag I dont even spend that on my own food lol the one im buying is 20euro for 15kg there is another red mills working dog food for shepherds would I be better off with this ?

Of course Red Mills are going to tell you that:rolleyes:

Seriously, read the ingredients. The first ingredient is Cereals, which means thats what its mostly made up of, which isnt good for dogs. Second it lists Meat and Animal derivitives,which again is crap, low grade type meat, could be any part of the animal, not necessarily meat.

If you really have to feed Red Mills then go for the Leader Supreme one, its the best in their range.
    Stay away from any of the Greyhound foods and the Tracker, Star, or Winner, as they are all very low quality dog foods.

Of course Red Mills are going to tell you that:rolleyes:

Seriously, read the ingredients. The first ingredient is Cereals, which means thats what its mostly made up of, which isnt good for dogs. Second it lists Meat and Animal derivitives,which again is crap, low grade type meat, could be any part of the animal, not necessarily meat.

If you really have to feed Red Mills then go for the Leader Supreme one, its the best in their range.
    Stay away from any of the Greyhound foods and the Tracker, Star, or Winner, as they are all very low quality dog foods.

it was the vet that suggested it to me plus they guy I bought her from was feeding them that. here is a link to the ingredients http://www.pet-bliss.com/acatalog/New_Red_Mills_Greyhound_Racer_Dog_Food.html could you tell me how bad it is from reading that as Im not 100% on dog nutrition

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭smokin ace

i feed my lot a greyhound feed called gain record breaker its €23 for a 15kg and the dogs are in fantastic condition and even a lot of people comment on how much of a shine is off them it has 28% protein and 18% oil a lot of people will say this is to much protein but thats what i have always feed with no problems what so ever and i dont need to feed as much as other nuts on the market to keep the dogs in top condition

it was the vet that suggested it to me plus they guy I bought her from was feeding them that. here is a link to the ingredients http://www.pet-bliss.com/acatalog/New_Red_Mills_Greyhound_Racer_Dog_Food.html could you tell me how bad it is from reading that as Im not 100% on dog nutrition

Vets are not experts on do nutrition and i honestly dont know why he would suggest a grey hound food for a german shepherd. High protein can lead to problems if fed incorrectly.
    I would also question the breeder too if he was feeding greyhound food to puppies.

Thats the food i looked up on the Red Mills site and where it lists cereals and meat and animal derivitives as their first ingredients, pure crap!!

It really isnt a good food im afraid and i really would recommend to out them on something a bit better.
    Also, it requires a lot more in weight to feed than better quality foods, if you had a good quality food you wouldnt have to feed as much so you would save money.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭MissyN

I feed my dog James Wellbeloved and its great for her. She looks fantastic, shes very healthy and her number 2's are excellent which I do think is a big indicator of good quality food.

I was never mad about Red Mills at all. Its sold in Woodies isn't it? That alone would deter me from it. Also I volunteered in a dogs home and they ate Red Mills and all of their number 2's were dreadful. I mean really bad. I do realise that a few were distressed with the situation but still it was dreadful trying to clean up after them. For that reason I would never give that to my own.

The first thing that should be worrying you is the limited info on the actual ingredients in the foods. As andreac said, the first ingredient is cereals, the first ingredient of a good dog food is always a dried meat, or a meat meal. Despite popular belief, dogs are carnivores and cannot digest cereals as well as meats.

High quality foods mean more expensive of course, but you feed way less of it. I had compared a few puppy foods when I got my first fella and when I looked at the Red Mill mother and puppy, I was amazed by how big a difference there was between that and what I'm feeding. I could buy Red mills mother and puppy for 20.99 to feed my two, a bag would last me four days between them because you feed 50g per kilo of bodyweight. That's over two hundred a month on a low quality food!!
    What I'm feeding lasts twenty days between them and though its 70 a pop, its a bag and a half per month so works out at 105 a month, which is way better value when i'm getting a food far higher in quality. A high quality food will last you much longer, and being two different breeds of different ages, your dogs should really be on different foods anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭smokin ace

Vets are not experts on do nutrition and i honestly dont know why he would suggest a grey hound food for a german shepherd. High protein can lead to problems if fed incorrectly.
    I would also question the breeder too if he was feeding greyhound food to puppies.

Thats the food i looked up on the Red Mills site and where it lists cereals and meat and animal derivitives as their first ingredients, pure crap!!

It really isnt a good food im afraid and i really would recommend to out them on something a bit better.
    Also, it requires a lot more in weight to feed than better quality foods, if you had a good quality food you wouldnt have to feed as much so you would save money.

i have to agree with you on redmills racer but not all greyhound feed is as bad as you make out the nuts i feed are greyhound nuts and the first 3 ingredients are chicken-chicken meal-brewers rice

smokin ace wrote: »
    i have to agree with you on redmills racer but not all greyhound feed is as bad as you make out the nuts i feed are greyhound nuts and the first 3 ingredients are chicken-chicken meal-brewers rice

Is the very first ingredient just listed as chicken? Cos that would put me off it. If the first ingredient is just stated as chicken or fresh chicken, then that ingredient is 80% moisture so it isn't actually as high in meat as it states it is.

cheers guys il look into changing again lol what happened to the good aul days when dogs ate the scraps an lived to tell the tale lol so basically im looking for meat as the main ingredient and staying away from cereals

• Advertisement

Unfortunately the dogs of ten years ago are not the same as the dogs of today thanks to overbreeding/inbreeding etc. Lke the westie for example, I have yet to meet one that doesn't suffer a skin condition if on the wrong food.

Advertisement