Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virgin Media: EPC2425/3925 Modem/Router and Speed Issues - POST HERE ONLY

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭seanbmc

Getting 1mb/s on a supposed 30mb/s package tonight. Whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭DesperateDan

seanbmc wrote: »
    Getting 1mb/s on a supposed 30mb/s package tonight. Whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy :mad:

I am the exact same, although get around 3mb/s instead of the 25 I'm used to. I thought maybe UPC may have throttled it, but I don't think I could have gotten anywhere near 100gb over the last month, let alone the standard 250gb. Does anyone know if they cap speeds, or is this a weird problem their probably trying to fix?

The UPC van has been floating around my estate the last few days, maybe it's a universal problem, but it's so fúcking annoying. The guy was in yesterday, but I wasn't here. He was in looking to see why the phone was constantly dropping, gonna ring them again if this keeps up.

Sick of the excuses he gives my mam, but I'm off college now so he's gonna have to answer to me next time he arrives. Might ask for the older router and get rid if this poor excuse for one.

1325146040.png

FFS!

• Registered Users Posts: 24 murphp

Same problem here. Last couple of days its been annoyingly slow. On speedtest.net im at around 1.75mbps download and 2mbps upload, and a ping of 22ms on pingtest.net. Yet on UPC's speedtest on their site im at 20mbps download and 2mbps upload with a ping of 12 ms. But I can tell when Im browsing its definitely below normal speed.

On our most recent bill (may 21) it says we have 20mb broadband but when i log onto my UPC online it says our broadband is 15mbps. But the speeds they offer changed recently and they now do 12mb, 25mb, 50mb, 100mb.

I'm confused. I want my super fast broadband back.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Chosen

murphp wrote: »
    Same problem here. Last couple of days its been annoyingly slow. On speedtest.net im at around 1.75mbps download and 2mbps upload, and a ping of 22ms on pingtest.net. Yet on UPC's speedtest on their site im at 20mbps download and 2mbps upload with a ping of 12 ms. But I can tell when Im browsing its definitely below normal speed.

On our most recent bill (may 21) it says we have 20mb broadband but when i log onto my UPC online it says our broadband is 15mbps. But the speeds they offer changed recently and they now do 12mb, 25mb, 50mb, 100mb.

I'm confused. I want my super fast broadband back.

Same here, since Thursday night. I'm supposed to have 20Meg down / 2Meg up and I have 1.2Meg down and 0.3Meg up, as per UPC's and Speedtest.net's speedtests. Magnet's speedtest blissfully says I have 20Meg down and 0.6Meg up.
    Browsing the web feels like a really bad quality 56k: pages open slowly, some don't ever finish loading, some clicks have to be made 2 or 3 times before the page starts loading and download from the Microsoft website are going at 9-17Kb/sec.

(don't worry about my IP showing, I already have another one after the countless DNS tests...)
    161691.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭devil-80

I have 25 mbit but at speedtest getting
    DL 6.79 Mbps
    UL 1.97

Ping 42 ms

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

devil-80 wrote: »
    I have 25 mbit but at speedtest getting
    DL 6.79 Mbps
    UL 1.97

Ping 42 ms

What speedtest server? Wireless? Ethernet? Multiple PC's?

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭devil-80

Wireless.Ok now starts working fine so have this 20.75 Mbps.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭anto2009

hi all is there any way in changing the cisco router 54mb on to say a 300mb on as the wireless is bad playing the ps3 online

anto2009 wrote: »
    hi all is there any way in changing the cisco router 54mb on to say a 300mb on as the wireless is bad playing the ps3 online

You'll need to either purchase one of the new Thompson modems from UPC, or purchase your own Wireless-N router and set the Cisco to bridge mode.

In essence, no, On its own, the cisco can only provide a theoretical max of 54mbps over wireless.

Saying that, I'm sure 54mbps is plenty to game online, provided the PS3 is close enough to the router and has adequate signal strength. If the signal is lacking, then a Wireless-N router would also increase the usable range of the WiFi network.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

devil-80 wrote: »
    Wireless.

Never check speeds on a wireless connection, always use Ethernet. Speeds cannot be guaranteed over the Wifi connection, as there are too many variables.

Run the speed test with a wired connection, and if it's still poor, then you have a problem that UPC need to look at.

This is what I did since my wireless was painfully slow and constantly dropping. I used Commview to scan all the channels to see how many people's devices were using them. The channel I was on seemed to have about 8 access points on it, mostly UPC.

So I changed to a channel with virtualy no other devices on it, I did a speed test using ethernet and got about 20 mb/s(the usual) and then I did one on wireless and I got about the same.

I'll see how it goes but things seem to be back to normal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Wifi and gaming do not always mix. Switch to a wired connection. An N router won't help, as the PS3 uses G, so the router will switch down to G to match that.

roast wrote: »
    You'll need to either purchase one of the new Thompson modems from UPC, or purchase your own Wireless-N router and set the Cisco to bridge mode.

In essence, no, On its own, the cisco can only provide a theoretical max of 54mbps over wireless.

Saying that, I'm sure 54mbps is plenty to game online, provided the PS3 is close enough to the router and has adequate signal strength. If the signal is lacking, then a Wireless-N router would also increase the usable range of the WiFi network.

router downstairs ps3 upstairs :( how much is the router of upc? and what type wireless n router would i have to get?

jor el wrote: »
    Wifi and gaming do not always mix. Switch to a wired connection. An N router won't help, as the PS3 uses G, so the router will switch down to G to match that.

Ahh! Didn't know that. Cheers. :)
    anto2009 wrote: »
    router downstairs ps3 upstairs :( how much is the router of upc? and what type wireless n router would i have to get?

Never mind. The PS3 is only wireless B/G, not N, as advised by jor el. Buying a Wireless N modem/router would not help, as the connection will just default back to 54mbps/Wireless G. Your only options there would be Homeplugs to extend the ethernet connection, or simply relocate the PS3 so it is closer to the modem.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Decky86

Hi, having a strange one. I moved into a new shared house that has UPC in it.. Everyone can connect to the wireless no problem here, except me! When i type in the password it says its incorrect even though it not. I dont think this is the routers fault really but i could be wrong. My iphone had no trouble connecting! .. Any thoughts on how to get my comp onto this network? Im on windows 7. Using avg antivirus.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭stevek93

Hi all.

Ive got the upc broadband in yesterday everythings working perfect except for megaupload the download speed is fine but only getting at most 30kb/s on mu, ive tried changing to open dns and googles dns disabling the ip flood detection with no luck any ideas ?

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Jo Satan

I can get my hands on the new thompson modem/router from my sister who has no use for wireless N or gigabit ethernet.
    I plugged my EPC2425 in at her house and the broadband connection worked but the phone did not.
    I was unable to access the router through the web browser, I can access it at home.

I rang UPC and told them what I wanted to do, they said it cannot be done as each modem is authorised to a specific BB/TV/Phone line.
    They said I need to upgrade to get my own Thompson modem/router or bridge the EPC and purchase my own wireless N gigabit router.
    I don't want to upgrade as I'm happy with the speed I have (20mb) and its free for the summer on a student contract
    I don't want to bridge the EPC because it will mean plugging another device in my lounge.
    Its humming and glowing enough already with Laptop,TV, Surround Sound, Xbox, kinnect, EPC2425 and WDTV.

Has anyone managed to get UPC to authorise a new router?
    or
    Is there a way around the need for UPC to authorise the router?

Jo Satan wrote: »
    I can get my hands on the new thompson modem/router from my sister who has no use for wireless N or gigabit ethernet.
    I plugged my EPC2425 in at her house and the broadband connection worked but the phone did not.
    I was unable to access the router through the web browser, I can access it at home.

I rang UPC and told them what I wanted to do, they said it cannot be done as each modem is authorised to a specific BB/TV/Phone line.
    They said I need to upgrade to get my own Thompson modem/router or bridge the EPC and purchase my own wireless N gigabit router.
    I don't want to upgrade as I'm happy with the speed I have (20mb) and its free for the summer on a student contract
    I don't want to bridge the EPC because it will mean plugging another device in my lounge.
    Its humming and glowing enough already with Laptop,TV, Surround Sound, Xbox, kinnect, EPC2425 and WDTV.

Has anyone managed to get UPC to authorise a new router?
    or
    Is there a way around the need for UPC to authorise the router?

Trust me, its a hell of a lot less hassle to just bridge a router....

I got UPC to provision a modem for me in the past. Purely because my EPC2425 failed, and I had an SA2203 lying around. I had my own WiFi router anyway, so had no need for the EPC2425. It's less work for them to just provision my SA for me instead of the hassle of sending out a new modem to me.

just picked up a set of homeplugs in pc world 2day and they work great full speed with upc :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭hobbit stomper

Hi there,

I am with UPC and I have a Cisco router.

I logged into the router at 192.168.1.1 with username and password left blank and under Setup -> Advanced Settings -> Port forwarding I entered the port I want to be open as well as the IP address of my laptop.

Unfortunately when I check if my port is open (http://www.yougetsignal.com/tools/open-ports/) it tells me it's still closed.

I am using a MacBook Pro and I do not have the firewall active.
    I also checked the router for the firewall and I turned it off.

Does anyone know what else there is to be considered?

Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Tungsten Tide

Hi there,

I am with UPC and I have a Cisco router.

I logged into the router at 192.168.1.1 with username and password left blank and under Setup -> Advanced Settings -> Port forwarding I entered the port I want to be open as well as the IP address of my laptop.

Unfortunately when I check if my port is open (http://www.yougetsignal.com/tools/open-ports/) it tells me it's still closed.

I am using a MacBook Pro and I do not have the firewall active.
    I also checked the router for the firewall and I turned it off.

Does anyone know what else there is to be considered?

Thank you

What make/model no.?

What make/model no.?

Modem Name Cisco EPC2425
    Serial Number 221631234

Have u followed a guide on THIS site?
    The Macbook might require additional ports.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

I opened up ports for my x box this evening, but when the ports are checked it says their not open, albeit the box is running smooth.

bryaner wrote: »
    I opened up ports for my x box this evening, but when the ports are checked it says their not open, albeit the box is running smooth.
    That must be a networking bug that causes some sites i check can't tell when i port forward as well. pick a port checker site close by and it should work.

Have u followed a guide on THIS site?
    The Macbook might require additional ports.

Thanks for your help, but that guide didn't really help much, since all it says is what I exactly did as written above.

Also I am not sure why Mac users would need to open another port? A port is a port :) It would be even the other way around, unlike Windows users, we do not have to have Firewalls and Antivirus software installed.

Just to make sure I got this right.

I set the x box ip as 192.168.1.59

Subnet as 255.255.255.0

Dns as 192.168.1.1

Opened port 1 start 88 end 88

Opened port 2 start 3074 end 3074

Both with ip address of 192.168.1.59

It's my first shot at it so forgive my stupidity.

bryaner wrote: »
    Just to make sure I got this right.

I set the x box ip as 192.168.1.59

Subnet as 255.255.255.0

Dns as 192.168.1.1

Opened port 1 start 88 end 88

Opened port 2 start 3074 end 3074

Both with ip address of 192.168.1.59

It's my first shot at it so forgive my stupidity.

I assume 192.168.1.1 is ur Routers address than yes bang on.;)

• Advertisement

I assume 192.168.1.1 is ur Routers address than yes bang on.;)

Whoo hoo cheers html next..:D

Advertisement