Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Things you miss in Waterford

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Crusty Blaa

Ray Malone ay? Whats he at now does anyone know? Last I spoke to him he was going to do those Liverpool football tours full time. I real genuinely nice chap. One of the old crew from Ardkeen QFS, which included Martine and the really tall blond one.

Yeah RP games had Mortal Kombat 1 for Super nintendo on its window for ages and ages. Then I grapped it.

Yeah, Ray is a sound lad. Last time I seen him was out at a Hibs game about 18 months ago. Only had a brief chat with him, never asked him what he was up to.

I could be wrong but I think "the really tall blond one" is still working in Ardkeen in the back office. Nice girl. Was Geraldine her name?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

the guy selling plastic wind mill things outside Dunnes Stores everyday.

The little sweet shop opposite The Front Lounge run by an old woman in what was pretty much her sitting room!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

seanybiker wrote: »
    The shop in ashley court. That place was well handy. Also the laneway from hillview into ashleycourt was handy for said shop.

Was it called Ashley Stores? Richie used to run it, lovely fella!

Ray Malone - is that mad Liverpool fan who was involved with Hibs for years? Played for his Hibs team U-15 (I think) and we got promoted to the big time :D From Lisduggan!

Or have I got that all wrong :confused:

Another thing I miss is climbing over the fence into De La Salle's pitch in Cleaboy to have a kickround cos 'the nets were up' on the goals :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Crusty Blaa

kfallon wrote: »
    Ray Malone - is that mad Liverpool fan who was involved with Hibs for years? Played for his Hibs team U-15 (I think) and we got promoted to the big time :D From Lisduggan!

Or have I got that all wrong :confused:

That's the fella.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Was it called Ashley Stores? Richie used to run it, lovely fella!
    Yeah richie and nary. Lovely people.
    nkay1985 wrote: »
    Do you mean Kathleen's? Just across the road from the very top of Ozanam Street? When I used to stay in my aunt's at the top of Ozanam Street, I used to have to go and get four crusty blaas and ten Silk Cut purple in the morning. I think I was about 8!
    oops yeah kathleen. I knew it was something hleen lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

Was Geraldine her name?

Think it was alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Guramoogah

On a different note, BPM used to be across the road from geoffs or there abouts.
    BPM used to be in the Patrick Street enterance to the Broad Street Centre, around the corner from H Samuel's jewellers. They also had shops in the Lisduggan Shopping Centre and Main Street, Tramore, where Ladbrooks betting office is now.

Oops, that was KG Discs, the forerunner to BPM. See http://bpmrecords.ie/history.php

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭tankbarry

Ray Malone is still going strong.... He is out in Johnville now and doing a huge amount of work for them. Ray nicest fellow u could meet...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,821 ✭✭✭RxQueen

Toy master when it used to be where boots is now...

awwww that sweets i used to get in there !

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Funfair

Peter France Mens Wear used to be opposite what's now Supermac's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Anyone remember the record shop upstairs in Shaws?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

Here's a couple to add to the list:

PC/Computer/Video Shop where on streed where happy garden/purcell property is now think it was called the 'chip shop' around (Mid 1980's)

Pre city square days when you could drive through the covered section of city square now there was a bakery there called 'Golden Crumb' (I think) and 'Finns Camera' shop was also on this street (Peter's street???)

The 'city arms' before City Square was built and the awful sloping car park that was also on the site of city square with those really low railings.

Country Pork on John's street

The shop that used was on site of pulpit/preachers, name escapes me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,164 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

Nolanger wrote: »
    Anyone remember the record shop upstairs in Shaws?

I do. They used to also occasionally sell computer games. I got Turrican for the Commodore 64 in there sometime around 1992.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,164 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

Funfair wrote: »

... and they seemed to have a permanent closing down sale if I remember correctly. Must have been there until at least the mid nineties.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Quigs Snr wrote: »
    I do. They used to also occasionally sell computer games. I got Turrican for the Commodore 64 in there sometime around 1992.

Helll of a game :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Ledger

looks like BPM is soon to join this list.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭bullpost

The horse racing in Kilcohan park:

http://www.britishpathe.com/record.php?id=18230

• Registered Users Posts: 19 rayjohnville

ah boys how ye all doing.yes indeed im over and back to lpool quiet a bit over thebyears but still as happy as ever and i do miss the ardkeen stores days because it was a brilliant place to work over the years.the big girl was caroline cummins and i have to say the staff were supers.cant believe im gone nearly 7 years.cheers for all the good comments haha

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭LuckyFinigan

Pure and BPM:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭bullpost

Is this the old Hearns department store on the quay?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/88051129@N00/5047340081/in/photostream

Teleport computer shop in Georges Court, think it was run by an English family if I remember correctly!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Teleport computer shop in Georges Court, think it was run by an English family if I remember correctly!

Jesus good one, that takes me back. I used to buy my com64 games in there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

ziedth wrote: »
    Jesus good one, that takes me back. I used to buy my com64 games in there.

Still have a Com64 in the attic, must take it down someday to see if it still works.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

The wall in the park - before the apartments went in

Beavens for your schoolbooks

Gladstone books

Original tall tales

Finns game shop opposite Temple Bar

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭shockwave

Remember when The Infirmary was a hospital.

When the taxi rank was outside Pennys and you could drive right up through town.

No pedestrian areas, you could drive up Georges st by T&H's, up through the town and down Michael st.

Funfair wrote: »

Remember the joke, "What were Nelson Mandela's first words when he got released from prison?" - "Is that sale still on in Peter France's!!!" :pac:

From what I remember there was always a sale on in there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Getting the old Kenelley's Yorkshire double decker over to bingo.

The slots in the Savoy and the could of smoke from the 'biddys' smoking through bingo, (like my gran!)

The wafers they sold at half time and chips from 'Strips' afterwards or if we were good we'd get a cod from Walkers.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 sands15

WORK

• Registered Users Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

The carnival that used to come along each summer opposite the Manor of St John.

The Chip van that used to visit arbour road.

Summer sesamy.

Savoy and Franks.

The cafe (the original one) in George's court which sold the best vanilla slices

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭dugger

Watching world title kickboxig fights in metroland and breens, the lemon drop baitin fella's for sport, and Mags dermody she was an animal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

The video game arcade upstairs in SuperMacs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

The 'Chinese' Chip van at Bridget's shop in Ferrybank.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43 vanman

waterford people!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Wailin

Great thread, brings me right back to the good ol days.
    Miss The Olde Rogue and Bobby Magee's, back when pubs were pubs, cheap beer, good music. Also miss the bike show in Kilmeaden every summer, good atmosphere around the town that wkend, used to love sitting outside the rogue with a cool bottle of cider on a scorcher of a day. The Old Ground was good for bands and Rorkes on the way to Breens for refueling!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭tankbarry

Buying supercans of coke and a packet of bacon fries in Crazy Prices......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

tankbarry wrote: »
    Buying supercans of coke and a packet of bacon fries in Crazy Prices......

Fishies father was some legend in crazy prices

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

BPM

:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,474 ✭✭✭decies

Feckin Summers :(

• Advertisement

Oh and turning on the firehose in breens and drowning all the revellers on the dancefloor.....got a baitin off Rocky Lawlor only to be allowed back in the following week.....imagine that happening now!!!!

dugger wrote: »
    Watching world title kickboxig fights in metroland and breens, the lemon drop baitin fella's for sport, and Mags dermody she was an animal

Hahahaha yeah, aul mags.....remember Square Clare???? Made Mags Dermody look like Jennifer Anniston.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3 kady69

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    The 'Chinese' Chip van at Bridget's shop in Ferrybank.
    I remember that so well, we would be in the Briar Rose on the weekend where the legendary Eddie Coady played regularly, and hit the Chinese on way home from pub. He used to be outside breens every weekend as well, a mini special and spring roll, Delicious.

kady69 wrote: »
    I remember that so well, we would be in the Briar Rose on the weekend where the legendary Eddie Coady played regularly, and hit the Chinese on way home from pub. He used to be outside breens every weekend as well, a mini special and spring roll, Delicious.
    Fat Sam's, Cassidy's on Michael St, Chuck Wagon, Gold Crust, nothing like the piping hot Blaa and cold bottle of Milk,oh the bottle of Milk with the little bit of cream on the top, used to fight over it with my sisters. The smell of the hops out of the Brewery early in the morning back in the 70s.

Guramoogah wrote: »
    I asked this question in another thread but I got no response:

Whatever happened to that cottage with the lovely murals in Rockenham, Ferrybank, across the road from the graveyard?
    That house was knocked down over 20 year's ago. Iused to walk past it everyday going to school, twas a pity it was torn down.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Kilkennyguy5

The Roxy on a saturday night....The Bok upstairs and in TH Doolans for the trad
    The Bridge Hotel on a weekend,everyone standing (stuck) in the same spot week after week
    Blaas and red lead....food of the gods......summers in Tramore
    walking ACROSS O' Connell street on a saturday night after the bridge for chips and the craic in Supermacs......upstairs in the nite club over Egans on a saturday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭friendlyfun

Do they still have Harneys blaas?

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Kilkennyguy5

Blaas go on forever,they'll never die.....

Advertisement