Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Things you miss in Waterford

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Funfair

Peter France Mens Wear used to be opposite what's now Supermac's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Anyone remember the record shop upstairs in Shaws?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

Here's a couple to add to the list:

PC/Computer/Video Shop where on streed where happy garden/purcell property is now think it was called the 'chip shop' around (Mid 1980's)

Pre city square days when you could drive through the covered section of city square now there was a bakery there called 'Golden Crumb' (I think) and 'Finns Camera' shop was also on this street (Peter's street???)

The 'city arms' before City Square was built and the awful sloping car park that was also on the site of city square with those really low railings.

Country Pork on John's street

The shop that used was on site of pulpit/preachers, name escapes me

• Registered Users Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

Nolanger wrote: »
    Anyone remember the record shop upstairs in Shaws?

I do. They used to also occasionally sell computer games. I got Turrican for the Commodore 64 in there sometime around 1992.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

Funfair wrote: »

... and they seemed to have a permanent closing down sale if I remember correctly. Must have been there until at least the mid nineties.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭ziedth

Quigs Snr wrote: »
    I do. They used to also occasionally sell computer games. I got Turrican for the Commodore 64 in there sometime around 1992.

Helll of a game :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Ledger

looks like BPM is soon to join this list.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,201 ✭✭✭bullpost

The horse racing in Kilcohan park:

http://www.britishpathe.com/record.php?id=18230

• Registered Users Posts: 19 rayjohnville

ah boys how ye all doing.yes indeed im over and back to lpool quiet a bit over thebyears but still as happy as ever and i do miss the ardkeen stores days because it was a brilliant place to work over the years.the big girl was caroline cummins and i have to say the staff were supers.cant believe im gone nearly 7 years.cheers for all the good comments haha

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭LuckyFinigan

Pure and BPM:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,201 ✭✭✭bullpost

Is this the old Hearns department store on the quay?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/88051129@N00/5047340081/in/photostream

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Teleport computer shop in Georges Court, think it was run by an English family if I remember correctly!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭ziedth

kfallon wrote: »
    Teleport computer shop in Georges Court, think it was run by an English family if I remember correctly!

Jesus good one, that takes me back. I used to buy my com64 games in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

ziedth wrote: »
    Jesus good one, that takes me back. I used to buy my com64 games in there.

Still have a Com64 in the attic, must take it down someday to see if it still works.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

The wall in the park - before the apartments went in

Beavens for your schoolbooks

Gladstone books

Original tall tales

Finns game shop opposite Temple Bar

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭shockwave

Remember when The Infirmary was a hospital.

When the taxi rank was outside Pennys and you could drive right up through town.

No pedestrian areas, you could drive up Georges st by T&H's, up through the town and down Michael st.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Funfair wrote: »

Remember the joke, "What were Nelson Mandela's first words when he got released from prison?" - "Is that sale still on in Peter France's!!!" :pac:

From what I remember there was always a sale on in there

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Getting the old Kenelley's Yorkshire double decker over to bingo.

The slots in the Savoy and the could of smoke from the 'biddys' smoking through bingo, (like my gran!)

The wafers they sold at half time and chips from 'Strips' afterwards or if we were good we'd get a cod from Walkers.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 sands15

WORK

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

The carnival that used to come along each summer opposite the Manor of St John.

The Chip van that used to visit arbour road.

Summer sesamy.

Savoy and Franks.

The cafe (the original one) in George's court which sold the best vanilla slices

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭dugger

Watching world title kickboxig fights in metroland and breens, the lemon drop baitin fella's for sport, and Mags dermody she was an animal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

The video game arcade upstairs in SuperMacs.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

The 'Chinese' Chip van at Bridget's shop in Ferrybank.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 vanman

waterford people!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,407 ✭✭✭Wailin

Great thread, brings me right back to the good ol days.
    Miss The Olde Rogue and Bobby Magee's, back when pubs were pubs, cheap beer, good music. Also miss the bike show in Kilmeaden every summer, good atmosphere around the town that wkend, used to love sitting outside the rogue with a cool bottle of cider on a scorcher of a day. The Old Ground was good for bands and Rorkes on the way to Breens for refueling!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭tankbarry

Buying supercans of coke and a packet of bacon fries in Crazy Prices......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

tankbarry wrote: »
    Buying supercans of coke and a packet of bacon fries in Crazy Prices......

Fishies father was some legend in crazy prices

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

BPM

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,348 ✭✭✭decies

Feckin Summers :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,407 ✭✭✭Wailin

Oh and turning on the firehose in breens and drowning all the revellers on the dancefloor.....got a baitin off Rocky Lawlor only to be allowed back in the following week.....imagine that happening now!!!!

Advertisement