Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things you miss in Waterford

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

ziedth wrote: »
    Buying the latest issue of White Dwarf from the lovely lady in the hobbyshop. Anyone?
    I only thanked it because I had friends that used to drag me there during our hour lunch in DLS....and I felt pity on you...

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭ziedth

I only thanked it because I had friends that used to drag me there during our hour lunch in DLS....and I felt pity on you...

Ah you haven't lived till you have had a squad of space marines pinned down by the eldar......

In reality I grew out of it before my early teens as I realised quickly how much of a bogey pasttime it was but I still buy the video games :)

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

they did???? I remember the window being so filthy that you couldnt see in.
    The had a pencil case for a cash register. I was a very strange place indeed.

I can vividly remember walking past and looking at loads of games and figures and stuff in the window (and this was definitely before it became just a model shop)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Is that shop you're talking about the place that used to be down the road from philly grimes'?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Yep thats the 1.
    That was Rp Games wasnt it. I can remember the sign outside :/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Crusty Blaa

The Reginald and Jurys for Sunday lunch

The old Ardkeen Stores - buying Shoot magazine and Premier League stickers off Ray Malone

Cyrstalvision @ Ardkeen

Strand Videos on Dunmore Road - great for video games

Mary's Fish shop at Ardkeen, used to get big tubs of cold shrimp for £1 - gobble them down in a hour.

Cove Stores

Roches Stores (Foodstore)

Crazy Prices

Playing ball on the back green in Viewmount during the scorching Summers

Double decker buses

Freefall in Funderland

An Siopa Beag

Sinnotts

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

Yep thats the 1.
    That was Rp Games wasnt it. I can remember the sign outside :/

Aye, it was RP Games and was there around 1994 -1997 iirc. A scottish family ran it, the father looked a bit like a leprechaun and his kids seemed pretty mental. There was a sound bloke called Dave who worked behind the counter and wasn't a part of their family but came over with them from scotland as far as I recall who went on to work as a blocklayer after the shop closed.

Iirc their business model was to buy job lots of stuff from closed hobby/comic shops in scotland and bring it over to waterford and flog it in their shop, thats why there was such an eclectic array of stuff in there. I remember buying some old Titan 2000AD collected editions in there but they had all sorts of mad crap. I remember they always tried to flog me a bunch of imperial guard figures that even the Warhammer 40K players used to think were sh**e.

they did???? I remember the window being so filthy that you couldnt see in.
    The had a pencil case for a cash register. I was a very strange place indeed.

ANyone remember the flat-bed lorry that used to deliver coal to viewmount? I remembered it the other day out of nowhere and it gave me a strange feeling.

Yeah, I remember that. I also remember the coal drivers making an extra effort to be seen around Christmas when there was usually an envelope with £10 in it waiting for them.

Aye, it was RP Games and was there around 1994 -1997 iirc. A scottish family ran it, the father looked a bit like a leprechaun and his kids seemed pretty mental. There was a sound bloke called Dave who worked behind the counter and wasn't a part of their family but came over with them from scotland as far as I recall who went on to work as a blocklayer after the shop closed.

Iirc their business model was to buy job lots of stuff from closed hobby/comic shops in scotland and bring it over to waterford and flog it in their shop, thats why there was such an eclectic array of stuff in there. I remember buying some old Titan 2000AD collected editions in there but they had all sorts of mad crap. I remember they always tried to flog me a bunch of imperial guard figures that even the Warhammer 40K players used to think were sh**e.

Yeah they were Swedish and had lived in Scotland and Portugal before that I think. The young fella was in my primary class. Sigfried Thorsson was the name. His older brother was Sarel. I think he's still in Waterford actually. The little brother got me brought into the principal's office because he said I was one of the people bullying him. I wasn't at all. I did end up giving him an awful kick one day the next year because he was an awful twart.

I think eccentric would be the kindest word for him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

nkay1985 wrote: »
    Yeah they were Swedish and had lived in Scotland and Portugal before that I think. The young fella was in my primary class. Sigfried Thorsson was the name. His older brother was Sarel. The little fecker got me brought into the principal's office because he said I was one of the people bullying him. I wasn't at all. I did end up giving him an awful kick one day the next year because he was an awful twart.

I think eccentric would be the kindest word for them.
    I was in secondary with sarel. Sound chap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭warder6161

Cork :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

Yeah they were Swedish and had lived in Scotland and Portugal before that I think. The young fella was in my primary class. Sigfried Thorsson was the name. His older brother was Sarel. I think he's still in Waterford actually. The little brother got me brought into the principal's office because he said I was one of the people bullying him. I wasn't at all. I did end up giving him an awful kick one day the next year because he was an awful twart.

I think eccentric would be the kindest word for him.

Thanks for that, you learn something new every day eh. Now that you mention it though, I wondered why people were calling the young fella "soil"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

The old Ardkeen Stores - buying Shoot magazine and Premier League stickers off Ray Malone

Ray Malone ay? Whats he at now does anyone know? Last I spoke to him he was going to do those Liverpool football tours full time. I real genuinely nice chap. One of the old crew from Ardkeen QFS, which included Martine and the really tall blond one.

Yeah RP games had Mortal Kombat 1 for Super nintendo on its window for ages and ages. Then I grapped it.

Just thought of something there, dunno if its been mentioned previously.

There was a small jewelers beside where boots is now and oposite the cathedral called 'Heinies'.

Anyone remember it?

Just thought of something there, dunno if its been mentioned previously.

There was a small jewelers beside where boots is now and oposite the cathedral called 'Heinies'.

Anyone remember it?

That the place that looked like it was there for about 538 years?

The butcher beside bpm who had no meat. Best place ever. No idea why but its cool

seanybiker wrote: »
    The butcher beside bpm who had no meat. Best place ever. No idea why but its cool

Its cool because its shows that Waterford was a thriving business hub, some auld lad could have a butchers in the City centre and not even sell anything out of it.

On a different note, BPM used to be across the road from geoffs or there abouts.

The shop in ashley court. That place was well handy. Also the laneway from hillview into ashleycourt was handy for said shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

I miss the lads selling the Sunday papers out of the back of a car outside the churches of a Sunday morning!

Eileens shop up be mount sion pitch. Two different coloured eyes that you couldn't help but stare at.

The shop in ashley court. That place was well handy. Also the laneway from hillview into ashleycourt was handy for said shop.

Yeah handiest thing ever. Hop on the bike and head down there to buy water balloons in the summer for an epic water balloon fight.
    Eileens shop up be mount sion pitch. Two different coloured eyes that you couldn't help but stare at.

Do you mean Kathleen's? Just across the road from the very top of Ozanam Street? When I used to stay in my aunt's at the top of Ozanam Street, I used to have to go and get four crusty blaas and ten Silk Cut purple in the morning. I think I was about 8!

• Advertisement

Ray Malone ay? Whats he at now does anyone know? Last I spoke to him he was going to do those Liverpool football tours full time. I real genuinely nice chap. One of the old crew from Ardkeen QFS, which included Martine and the really tall blond one.

Yeah RP games had Mortal Kombat 1 for Super nintendo on its window for ages and ages. Then I grapped it.

Yeah, Ray is a sound lad. Last time I seen him was out at a Hibs game about 18 months ago. Only had a brief chat with him, never asked him what he was up to.

I could be wrong but I think "the really tall blond one" is still working in Ardkeen in the back office. Nice girl. Was Geraldine her name?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

the guy selling plastic wind mill things outside Dunnes Stores everyday.

The little sweet shop opposite The Front Lounge run by an old woman in what was pretty much her sitting room!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Was it called Ashley Stores? Richie used to run it, lovely fella!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Ray Malone - is that mad Liverpool fan who was involved with Hibs for years? Played for his Hibs team U-15 (I think) and we got promoted to the big time :D From Lisduggan!

Or have I got that all wrong :confused:

Another thing I miss is climbing over the fence into De La Salle's pitch in Cleaboy to have a kickround cos 'the nets were up' on the goals :cool:

kfallon wrote: »
    Ray Malone - is that mad Liverpool fan who was involved with Hibs for years? Played for his Hibs team U-15 (I think) and we got promoted to the big time :D From Lisduggan!

Or have I got that all wrong :confused:

That's the fella.

kfallon wrote: »
    Was it called Ashley Stores? Richie used to run it, lovely fella!
    Yeah richie and nary. Lovely people.
    Do you mean Kathleen's? Just across the road from the very top of Ozanam Street? When I used to stay in my aunt's at the top of Ozanam Street, I used to have to go and get four crusty blaas and ten Silk Cut purple in the morning. I think I was about 8!
    oops yeah kathleen. I knew it was something hleen lol

Was Geraldine her name?

Think it was alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Guramoogah

On a different note, BPM used to be across the road from geoffs or there abouts.
    BPM used to be in the Patrick Street enterance to the Broad Street Centre, around the corner from H Samuel's jewellers. They also had shops in the Lisduggan Shopping Centre and Main Street, Tramore, where Ladbrooks betting office is now.

Oops, that was KG Discs, the forerunner to BPM. See http://bpmrecords.ie/history.php

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭tankbarry

Ray Malone is still going strong.... He is out in Johnville now and doing a huge amount of work for them. Ray nicest fellow u could meet...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,821 ✭✭✭RxQueen

Toy master when it used to be where boots is now...

awwww that sweets i used to get in there !

Advertisement